Don't be a Logic Zombie!!!

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 130
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Discrimination means discernment. It is not an inherently bad thing unless you are a despot.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Discrimination means discernment. It is not an inherently bad thing unless you are a despot.
Implicit racial, gender, religious, and class bias is by definition unintentional and yet provably pervasive.

Humans are particularly bad at "discernment".
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
I'm not at all sure if you are being consistent with the thrust of your OP!
Please challenge my axioms and or point out a specific logical error and or provide a counter-factual.
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
I just seems that you were arguing that peoples shouldn't rely on dry logic and we should take ownership of and responsibility for our decisions but now you arguing for following prescribed rules, delegating hard choices to a judge and community consensus  That seems to jar.
Mopac
Mopac
All I can think of is that the Soviet Union's state religion was "scientific atheism".

I certainly don't trust the power grabbers to program these machines, because they always seem to see Christianity as a threat to their authority.

Even though we Christians are supposed to obey and pray for our civil authorities, we don't worship them as gods, which is what all these "the state is god" systems really want. 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
I just seems that you were arguing that peoples shouldn't rely on dry logic and we should take ownership of and responsibility for our decisions but now you arguing for following prescribed rules, delegating hard choices to a judge and community consensus  That seems to jar.
I'm trying to illustrate the horrific consequences of blind faith in logic.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
All I can think of is that the Soviet Union's state religion was "scientific atheism".
"Freedom of religion" could (should) be explicitly and logically defined under something as simple as the principle of "personal sovereignty".

I certainly don't trust the power grabbers to program these machines, because they always seem to see Christianity as a threat to their authority.
And yet, you implicitly trust the "power grabbers" to write laws and arbitrarily enforce them.  Is that really so much better?

Even though we Christians are supposed to obey and pray for our civil authorities, we don't worship them as gods, which is what all these "the state is god" systems really want. 
You seem to be leaping to conclusions on this one.  I don't believe it is logically coherent to expect the state to be worshiped like a god.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
You don't think it is logically coherent, but China puts pictures of their president at the altars of the Christian Churches they allow to exist, and well... look at North Korea....

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
You don't think it is logically coherent, but China puts pictures of their president at the altars of the Christian Churches they allow to exist, and well... look at North Korea....
North Korea's laws are not logically coherent or based on explicit axioms or reflective of community consensus.

Like most autocratic authoritarian dictatorships throughout history, their laws are both tyrannical and capricious.

You are conflating apples and tricycles.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
I am sure they don't see it the same way as you.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
What totalitarians really want is to destroy any possible competitor to 'The Leader' - and that includes God.   Human political enemies are eliminated by exile, imprisonment and assasination.  God is eliminated by the same methods applied to his supporters. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
I'd say so.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
Such regimes have no compunction about killing atheist or agnostic intellectuals.  The totalitarian mind is hard to understand - I'm sure I don't understand it.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
Oh, in fact, I'd say that a lot of these so called "intellectuals" that may have even helped bring about the revolution will be some of the first to go before the firing squad.

That seems to be the historical precedent.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
I am sure they don't see it the same way as you.
Do you believe that North Koreans don't know what logic is?

Or do you believe they have a different version of it?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
A tree of logic built off of faulty premises will still yield results that are technically "logical" or "rational". That is why the idolatry of reason is a very dangerous thing. 

The end result of making reason an idol before God is nihilism.

Because as the old discordian mantra goes(chaos and strife worship)

"All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true, false, and meaningless in some sense."

The end result is nihilism.

That is why Orthodoxy long ago rejected the wests attempt at replacing hesychasm with scholasticism. We know hesychasm is superior.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
Such regimes have no compunction about killing atheist or agnostic intellectuals.  The totalitarian mind is hard to understand - I'm sure I don't understand it.
It's like the "mind" of any other government, just unfettered by any pretense of empathy (basically a psychopath).

It's like the "mind" of an organized criminal syndicate.

Try reading "The Prince". [LINK]
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
That is why Orthodoxy long ago rejected the wests attempt at replacing hesychasm with scholasticism. We know hesychasm is superior.
Hesychasm is a mystical tradition of contemplative prayer in the Eastern Orthodox Church.

Scholasticism is a method of critical thought.

My mystical prayers told me to use logic.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
I should have read it by now! 
Alas  "..of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh."
(Eccles 12:12)

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
A tree of logic built off of faulty premises will still yield results that are technically "logical" or "rational".
That is why you must make your axioms explicit and verify their efficacy and internal coherence.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
I should have read it by now!  
There's probably a pretty good youtube summary/analysis somewhere someplace.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
I've downloaded it - i'll get around to it soon.
Mopac
Mopac
That is why you must make your axioms explicit and verify their efficacy and internal coherence

I would call that a naive point of view.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
That is why you must make your axioms explicit and verify their efficacy and internal coherence
I would call that a naive point of view.
Do you think concocting laws based on unverifiable mystical prayers would be a better option?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
A hesychast has no need for laws since they by nature fulfill what it is the law is made for.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
A hesychast has no need for laws since they by nature fulfill what it is the law is made for.
Ah, ok.  You're an anarchist.  A holy mystical anarchist.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Not at all. 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Ah, ok.  You're an anarchist.  A holy mystical anarchist.
Not at all. 
Please explain what you mean by "no need for laws".

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
As I said, the hesychast has no need for laws because they by nature fulfill what the law is made for.

Or as scripture says,

"the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient"

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
"the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient"
But if you, as you've already said, have "no need for laws", doesn't that make you technically "lawless"?

And if you are "lawless" doesn't that mean "the law is made for you"?

And besides that, don't you think we should have laws for everyone who is not a "hesychast"?

And if you think that we should have some sort of laws, generally, don't you have some theory (or preference) regarding what those laws should entail?