Is absence of proof, proof of absence? Do religious people have an advantage in terms of proof?

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 68
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Mall
You have to have faith that you'll being going anywhere tomorrow. Why?

Nope. I have only a belief based on good reason. It requires no faith in the slightest.

You have absolutely no evidence that you'll even wake up tomorrow.

But I have very good reason to believe I will.. It requires no faith in the slightest.

Now people don't like the idea that somethings you're just going to have to believe in. Just the way it is. Nothing wrong with having hope when it keeps you going on the right path.
Again,  it is easier for you to conflate the two in the belief that it offers logical reason for your faith.
Hope is not faith.  Faith is being fully confident whilst hope is to believe  that something is possible but not sure and is nothing more than  expectation and optimism.

FLRW
FLRW

Look closely at what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:14, "And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain."
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@FLRW

Well said.  A point that Christians like to avoid.
Mall
Debates: 336
Mall
-->
@Stephen
You say belief, I say faith. You take a position without evidence of it be true.

I know the word faith is pictured nominally as religious. It just goes to show religion is not all that distant or foreign from the secular world.

"But I have very good reason to believe I will."

Sure just no evidence. We can feel confident with a good reason sure.

"Again,  it is easier for you to conflate the two in the belief that it offers logical reason for your faith.
Hope is not faith.  Faith is being fully confident whilst hope is to believe  that something is possible but not sure and is nothing more than  expectation and optimism."

Well I'm not going to dispute over a preference of semantics. You call it what you will as I will. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mall
You say belief, I say faith. You take a position without evidence of it be true.

You are going around in circles. 
I have explained the difference to you already:  One can have good and logical reason to believe something  and I gave you a example HERE>  #53

You have since slid in the idea of "hope". I have also explained the difference  to you HERE> #61 Hope is not faith.  Faith is being fully confident without evidence or proof.  Whilst hope is to believe  that something is possible but not sure and is nothing more than  expectation and optimism.

"But I have very good reason to believe I will."

Sure just no evidence. We can feel confident with a good reason sure.

But I do have good evidence as explained to you HERE>  #53  I KNOW the pub exists. I HAVE visited said pub. I HAVE spend money in said pub. I HAVE drank beer there. and I HAVE walked home with a wobble as a result of doing all three.<<< That is my evidence and aslo good reason for my belief.

So while I have  actaully witnessed and experienced  all the above;  you do not have the slightest single piece of evidence that supports your faith?   HAVE YOU seen god?   HAVE YOU drank wine and ate bread with Jesus?  DID YOU see Jesus actually walk on water?  DID YOU witness the virgin birth. Well of course you haven't have you? 

You call it what you will as I will. 

No. I call it what it IS. 

Mall
Mall
-->
@Stephen
And you call me going in circles. You're just repeating your own self after what I said was really nothing to argue back with.

It was really just a "cool beans" type of a response from me. You can go on and on. I'm saying cool.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mall
And you call me going in circles. You're just repeating your own self after what I said was really nothing to argue back with.

No. I gave my GOOD reasons for what I believe. You offered nothing to support "faith"  You then repeated yourself  by rephrasing your points and changing your original wording from "faith" by then throwing "hope" into the mix. Which caused me to explain the difference between "hope" and "faith" to.  Here #61

And now you have caused me to repeat my questions and I would like you to answer these questions, if you can.

So while I have  actaully witnessed and experienced  all the above HERE>#65

HAVE YOU seen god?   HAVE YOU drank wine and ate bread with Jesus?  DID YOU see Jesus actually walk on water?  DID YOU witness the virgin birth? DID YOU witness Jesus die on the cross?
How DO YOU know what was said between Pontius Pilate and Jesus when there were only two people in the room?   How DO YOU know what was said between the Devil and Jesus in the desert when there were only the  two of them present?

If you cannot  answer questions that should be simple for you, then simply go away because you have no argument nor do you have proof.

Mall
Mall
-->
@Stephen
Why are you still arguing?

At ease soldier, stand down.