Nine years

Author: Tejretics

Total: 13
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
Nine years ago on this date, I joined Debate.org. I'm glad that in many ways, the community I found there is still alive on here. I hope everyone’s doing well! :) 
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Tejretics
Not many are left.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
It can be comforting to know something that was there when you were younger is essentially unchanged today. And a little sad too; the same personalities who were having the same discussions ad nauseam on DDO are doing the same on DART ten years later, myself included sadly. It's like we're all stuck in limbo, and I understand why some people simply outgrew the need for this community and never came back.
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
I am addicted to debating and trolling.

While there are other sites where you can do those, none compares to this site.

Only this site allows you to debate almost anything in almost any way.

And this site saves for you everything you type, so you can search for something you typed years ago just to remind yourself what you were thinking.

This site has some very strong debaters, which you will not find on many other sites.

While I do like easy wins in games, in debates I also like the challenge.

Without challenge, it becomes more boring.

The only thing I wish this site had is more users.

Not many people can handle formal debating.

When some people see long text, they get scared and give up.

I think only a small percentage of people in the world are capable of actual debating and formal reasoning.

On other sites, people dont even debate. They just troll and post shit all the time.

You actually have to explain to them that "🤣" is not an argument nor counter argument, and that sentences like "that doesnt make sense" require an explanation and reasoning to support them.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tejretics
Doing fine thanks.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
i liked debate.org better when it was at its peak. unformately i spent too much time doing formal debates and should have used the forum more. it wasn't until the end that i started using the forum. i love the free flow of ideas better on forums. i also like the free speech better at the old website too. 
philochristos
philochristos
-->
@Tejretics
I'm doing alright!

I joined Debate.org 11 years ago. I think it was in September. For a long time before I joined debate.org, I enjoyed mixing it up with people on the internet. I was really happy when I found debate.org because it allowed me to have more formalized debates with people, many of whom were actually good at debating. I participated in 94 debates. I guess a lot of them don't count because my opponent forfeited without making any arguments, but I still got in a few solid debates. I had a good time and enjoyed the interaction. I remember we went through this phase were various members started their own talk shows. One of them was about the drama that took place on debate.org, and I remember that one was entertaining. I started one myself where I interviewed people. I would've done more of those interviews, but it was always hard to coordinate schedules.

Since joining debateart.org, I haven't participated in any debates at all. I think after all that debating on debate.org, I finally got it out of my system. For a while, I would still engage with people on reddit, but I would generally no respond more than twice to one person. I just kind of lost my enthusiasm for debating.

I have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, I'm probably more pleasant to be around since I'm not nearly as eager to express disagreement with people. On the other hand, I kind of miss the fun of debating. Also, I think my brain has atrophied since I stopped. But I'm not really eager to get back into it.

Anywho, howdy to anybody who is still around from the glory days.

Sam

sadolite
sadolite
How many are still here from the wild west days at debate.org or are we all just transplants from there?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
Hmmmm.

Perhaps we're still here as transplants from there.

New name, new identity though.

Sort of a witness protection programme.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@zedvictor4
I still have the same user name.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
I also have an account with Debate Island, in yet another name.

Don't find it particularly user friendly though.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@zedvictor4
I have tried others but hate the formats too

7 days later

Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@Tejretics
Well enough, personally.

This site is looking rough tho. I hope the new owner(s) (when Mike finds a suitable buyer) will respect the potential and culture this site has, unlike Juggle did with DDO.