What's wrong with teaching children about heaven and hell?

Author: Mall

Total: 11
Mall
Debates: 336
Mall
What's wrong with teaching children about heaven and hell?

It is not the same as teaching Santa Claus and the Easter bunny.

Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
Well, when I was a kid, 

I spent a lot of time thinking about if God will burn me in fire after I die.

Kids are more likely to believe in assumptions than adults are, even tho many adults fall for assumptions too.

And if my parents didnt tell me about hell, maybe I would spend my childhood in a better more happier way.

It actually took me years to overcome fear of God, even after I realized its just a dumb idea invented by one people to control other people.

And once you realize that common concepts of religion serve human goals, but dont suit anything you would expect from God, then it is easier to overcome the version of God invented by humans.
ponikshiy
Debates: 9
ponikshiy
-->
@oromagi
Can you move this thread to the religious section and also alp topics about wokeness. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Mall
Other than teaching as a method of conditioning...Teaching kids about heaven and hell, is not the same as teaching kids about Santa Claus and Easter bunny.

In so much as the usual intent of the former, is to make it a part of a conditioned belief system, whereas the later are simply intended to become conditioned folk tales.

As you well know.
IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
It's religion as well as your thread. Nothing useful for students can come out of it. 
Mall
Debates: 336
Mall
Looks like nothing wrong with it.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
it's better to look at hell as a spiritual condition. hell is separation from God. we can be right by God or not right by God. i know there's lots in between, but there are bad people out there, who are not right with God. i mean them no judgment. that's what free will affords us... we can either choose a higher vibration or a lower one. we can acknowledge our sins and repent and do good... or we can choose not to. if one person chooses one path and someone else chooses another... you can't tell me t's all the same difference. what we do and think makes a difference. 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Best.Korea
it looks like you focused too much on the catholic style of 'being good enough'. you should focus more on the protestant idea of grace and simply having faith. having a loving relationship with God is a two way street... you have grace but you have responsibility too. that's the nature of love, and loving relationships. we were created by God to do his handiwork which were prepared in advance for us to do, as it's taught in the bible.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@n8nrgim
I was raised by muslims.

Muslims also have their version of hell,

Which is described in horrible ways in Quran.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Best.Korea
islam is obviously a false religion where the quran talks about cutting of heads and hands, and their followers talk about getting virgins at death. it's obviously a man made religion. 

i think a thing that you struggle with, is having principles. it's okay to stand for things, but you need to make sure that you are speaking and acting, based on truth. it's okay to say islam is a trash religion, and that muslims are simple mistaken and deceived. 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@n8nrgim
islam is obviously a false religion where the quran talks about cutting of heads and hands,
Those are the less bad parts.

The way torture is described in muslim hell is sick.

They burn person's skin alive, and then after it entirely burns, they give person a new skin to burn him again.

i think a thing that you struggle with, is having principles.
Yes.

I am a person who weighs benefits vs harms.

I dont have one principle, such as saving lives or reducing pain.

I recognize that a little bit of pain can be tolerated.

I recognize that not all lives are worth living.

it's okay to stand for things, but you need to make sure that you are speaking and acting, based on truth.
Truth is discovered through dialectial argument.

It is not something which just waits to be accepted.

Natural path of truth is presented in Hegel's dialectical argument:

1. Thesis
2. Antithesis
3. Synthesis

Thesis is the original position.

Antithesis presents challenge and contradiction to thesis.

Then a synthesis happens, where either contradiction is negated either thesis is negated.

If contradiction is negated, original position stands true.

If thesis is negated, original position is false, which gives birth to new position different from the original one.

it's okay to say islam is a trash religion, and that muslims are simple mistaken and deceived
I know its a trash religion, but you really dont wanna be saying that in a muslim country.