The significance of transgender identity.

Author: Mall

Total: 46
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@Mall
So saying 1 being different than 2 is not telling the truth according to what you're conveying.

One person is not different than more than one person.

In regards to what people want to be called, how far are we going to go into a delusion suppressing physical facts?

Do we just draw the line at the first sign of pure harm?
OK, and this "pure harm" you are so worried about, that's what we want to understand. When I address someone the way they want to be addressed, there is no harm done, why is it harmful if you were to do it?   

How exactly are you harmed by the act of addressing others the way they want to be addressed?  

What makes you the "victim" of the pronouns transgender people prefer?

Mall
Debates: 337
Mall
-->
@Sidewalker
"OK, and this "pure harm" you are so worried about, that's what we want to understand. When I address someone the way they want to be addressed, there is no harm done, why is it harmful if you were to do it?  "

It depends. Would I be telling the truth or a lie?

Are lies harmful?

Then my question was , how far do we continue to call something what it ain't? Is it until it's harmful?

Now we meaning you all that haven't thought about this,give it some thought.

"How exactly are you harmed by the act of addressing others the way they want to be addressed?  "

It depends. Would I be telling the truth or a lie?

Are lies harmful?

"What makes you the "victim" of the pronouns transgender people prefer?"

Depends on how I or anybody was victimized. See I'm not going to generalize. My whole point is are we speaking truth?

Now to be truthful is supposed to be this most ethically right way to be , why?

Is it because of damage, eventual harm?

I think these questions haven't been thought about. We meaning those that do haven't looked that far into it. They're (more than one) caught up in the civil liberties and freedoms and pursuit of whatever may mean personal happiness in the moment. Just looking at this on the surface, nevermind beyond that.

sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
What if I told you that you can completely reject everything about the Transgender narrative. That's what it is, a social/political narrative based solely on opinion. 
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@sadolite
What if I told you that you can completely reject everything about the What if I told you that you can completely reject everything about the Transgender narrative. That's what it is, a social/political narrative based solely on opinion. 
Then I'd think you are the only person to give an honest answer. 

Interesting term, "Transgender narrative" and "social/political narrative", I think you are talking about the political rhetoric that is being used.   Why does that resonate with you? 

I'll be the first to admit I don't understand the whole transgender thing, from the outside looking in it appears to be as very difficult way to be, but I don't see why that should translate into disapproval, mostly I'm just glad its not something I have to deal with.  If you get past the rhetoric, what we are talking about is people, do you just disapprove of transgender people? 

A lot of people are refusing to use the preferred pronouns for transgender people, what do you suppose they think that accomplishes?  Is it just a matter of choosing a side, establishing membership in something?  Does it solve anything?  Is it satisfying in some way to refuse to use a preferred pronoun? How did a pronoun become such a huge thing?

Of all people on this site, you strike me as the least likely to be controlled by a politician's rhetoric.  It wasn't that long ago that nobody really cared about pronouns, it just wasn't a political thing at all, transgender people were not a political issue. 

Then some politicians decided to use this issue to polarize people, how did they come to own you of all people.  I would expect you to be the first person to tell politicians to fuck off before you'd let them tell you what to think.

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
Well, I don't speak english in a daily basis, but using "they" to address a person if you are not sure about this person's gender is way over the top. That only indicates that these people don't give a shit about the correct usage of english.

If we let this happen, language will get corrupted and nobody will understand any shit. 
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@Mall

Because our words… are a terrible thing to waste.
Mall
Debates: 337
Mall
-->
@cristo71
Words are very important.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
Or you could just ignore it.

FLRW
FLRW
Sexual differentiation of the human brain in relation to gender identity and sexual orientation
It is believed that during the intrauterine period the fetal brain develops in the male direction through a direct action of testosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hormone surge. According to this concept, our gender identity (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and sexual orientation should be programmed into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. However, since sexual differentiation of the genitals takes place in the first two months of pregnancy and sexual differentiation of the brain starts in the second half of pregnancy, these two processes can be influenced independently, which may result in transsexuality. This also means that in the event of ambiguous sex at birth, the degree of masculinization of the genitals may not reflect the degree of masculinization of the brain. There is no proof that social environment after birth has an effect on gender identity or sexual orientation. Data on genetic and hormone independent influence on gender identity are presently divergent and do not provide convincing information about the underlying etiology. To what extent fetal programming may determine sexual orientation is also a matter of discussion. A number of studies show patterns of sex atypical cerebral dimorphism in homosexual subjects. Although the crucial question, namely how such complex functions as sexual orientation and identity are processed in the brain remains unanswered, emerging data point at a key role of specific neuronal circuits involving the hypothalamus.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@FLRW
Data on genetic and hormone independent influence on gender identity are presently divergent and do not provide convincing information about the underlying etiology.
Translation: There is no correlation in the data, but that doesn't mean we can't speculate up a storm and give a false impression. FOR SCIENCE!

RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
So he can never be a they. A she can never be a they.
Not without loss of communication efficiency.

Which is why if there MUST be a non-binary pronoun a new one would be better. However I won't bother to learn it, if it catches on it catches on; but in general I don't think it's something to indulge. People are looking for validation and resolution in the wrong places. If it wasn't for their blind submission to socially constructed gender roles they would never have been uncomfortable with being called "he" or "she" to begin with.
Solid post, agree with everything in it except that we shouldn't indulge those wanting it, overall it's better to indulge that than the ones obsessed with completely changing their body just to fit the 'other gender'.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@sadolite
Most popular unisex names

Most Popular Unisex/Gender-Neutral Names
  1. Andy
  2. Aubrey
  3. Morgan
  4. Finley
  5. Charlie
  6. Sawyer
  7. Logan
  8. Skyler
  9. Casey
  10. Justice
  11. Quinn
  12. Blake
  13. Sam
  14. Parker
  15. Jordan
  16. Drew
  17. Alex
  18. Hayden
  19. Jessie
  20. Riley

https://www.lamaze.org/Giving-Birth-with-Confidence/GBWC-Post/top-20-baby-names-most-popular-vs-most-rare
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ebuc
Eh, OK whatever
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@sadolite
Eh, OK whatever

Or your might say --as the actor joe Friday in the 60's tv series Dragnet  would, say, ' just the facts '.

..." You might nod at this and say, "As Joe Friday always said, 'Just the facts, ma'am."

..This is the most famous Joe Friday quote ever. The only problem with it is that Joe Friday never actually said that. Something like it was said on a Stan Freberg Parody record of Dragnet, and it became a common legend, but Sergeant Friday never uttered the phrase. "..

Best.Korea
Debates: 271
Best.Korea
-->
@ebuc
Skyler
Thats a very good name.

It fits for a man or woman scientist, chess master, or some strong guy, or some feminine guy, or a really cute woman.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Best.Korea
Whichever man is named skyler, his parents clearly wanted him to be bullied.