Why can't I delete stuff?

Author: Plisken

Total: 17
Plisken
Debates: 0
Plisken
Will mods delete my stuff if I ask?  There's only a few minutes before crossing over to the next relm in eternal glory. What's up with that?

Raltar
Debates: 4
Raltar
Will mods delete my stuff if I ask?
Sometimes. Usually not.

Giving users more control over their own content and allowing us to delete votes, posts, etc, is one of the things I've specifically been asking for. 

Castin
Castin
After the 15 minute period, yeah, they're fixed for good.

A limitless deletion option might be a good way for people to provoke trouble and then erase the evidence. Other than that, I don't see why not.
Plisken
Plisken
I've thought about that as well, might be best the way it is if people just think a bit about what they say.  
Castin
Castin
-->
@Plisken
Now Plisk. We both know that's not possible within the confines of reality.
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Plisken
The risk that I see is that mods might be overly inundated with such requests, one reason Max did not allow username changes on DDO. That being said, I am willing to delete threads (whole threads, not posts) upon request, so long as I am free to reveal that the request was why I deleted the thread and so long as I have time to review any reported content in those threads before its deletion.

I further support the ability of users to delete their own content so long as some record of that remains for mods to examine. Users should not be able to irrecoverably delete incriminating content, as this would obviously hamper moderation's ability to enforce the COC.
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@bsh1
What about revealing information? I remember a mafia game where an irl friend used my real name, and I asked Max to remove my name from the post.

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Vaarka
Of course. Unwanted doxxing info is something I'd remove. But that's more of a COC issue than a courtesy.
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@bsh1
Might be ideal to have a hidden archive for deleted threads.
Castin
Castin
-->
@bsh1
How can they delete their content while leaving a record that can be examined?
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Castin
Virt say's it's something called shadow banning, I think. Basically, mods can still view cached original versions, and can see all the edits, but to everyone else, it appears deleted.

I am not sure how much storage the site has for stuff like that, so maybe the cached info disappears after 3 months stored or something like that.
Castin
Castin
-->
@bsh1
Interesting. Mods would appear to be banning people for something the public cannot see.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Castin
True, but that would be the case if I deleted a doxxing post and subsequently banned someone on the basis of it.
Castin
Castin
-->
@bsh1
But presumably not in the case of personal attacks and offensive or inflammatory behavior, which are much more common than doxxing and constitute the majority of offenses that get banned.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Castin
True. I probably wouldn't take action against deleted or edited posts unless they were severe violations (including severe personal attacks) or unless that tactic became a habitual means for a particular user to dodge moderation. But I also think there should be a time limit on deletion, as there is with editing.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
The place used to let us edit posts but they are going to start using things for modding and if you can change a post they can't hold it against you. 
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
test