Is de-conversion therapy wrong?

Author: Mall

Total: 57
Mall
Debates: 336
Mall
-->
@Sidewalker
Now if you can answer the question, is it wrong for those that insist?
Without the assumptions and political figures, go ahead and answer appropriately and directly as others have in this thread as well as other topics.

If you don't want to or not going to answer the question, just say so .

Is it wrong to insist on therapy for others seeking it to reverse their gender transition?

Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@Mall
Now if you can answer the question, is it wrong for those that insist?
Without the assumptions and political figures, go ahead and answer appropriately and directly as others have in this thread as well as other topics.

If you don't want to or not going to answer the question, just say so .
I still don't know what you are talking about, I still don't know if de-conversion therapy exists anywhere outside of your head, you refuse to explain it, so I don't know what the question is even about.
Is it wrong to insist on therapy for others seeking it to reverse their gender transition?
OK, so you say there are transgender people who have transitioned, and now they are seeking therapy to either deal with it, or to reverse the gender transition.  If that is the question, then no, it's not wrong to provide therapy to those who are seeking therapy, why would it be?  I would presume that the therapists and doctors that worked with them in the first place would be the best place to start in discussing remorse and possible remedies. 

Is there a lot of demand for this sort of therapy?  If you didn't just make this all up, can you reference something about it that is more than theoretical, maybe something about it that is out here in the real world.  Is there somebody you know of that provides this so-called "de-conversion therapy"?  

Also, I presume you are trying to make some point with this thread, what would that point be?

Mall
Mall
-->
@Sidewalker
" If that is the question, then no, it's not wrong to provide therapy to those who are seeking therapy"

Ok very good. This is all the epicenter of this topic really was.

All that other stuff you talkin' is imagination running away with you.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
The fact that she used the word insist already refutes that we're talking about anyone who wants to go through it.
She (taking your word on gender) said 'insist' about LGBT. Not the therapy.
"Is de-conversion therapy wrong?"

+

"Is it wrong to insist on the l.g.b.t.?"

=

"Is [de-conversion therapy] wrong to insist on the l.g.b.t.?"
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Mall
" If that is the question, then no, it's not wrong to provide therapy to those who are seeking therapy"

Ok very good. This is all the epicenter of this topic really was.
All that other stuff you talkin' is imagination running away with you.
So you admit you just made it all up, "de-conversion therapy" isn't really a thing, and the thread is pointless.

Thanks for clarifying.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
Biden has a deconversion therapy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM1-0_cve1o
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Double_R
Also, context matters. When we're talking about gays/ trans people we're talking about people making choices for themselves.
No we aren't, unless you suggest they choose to be gay/trans, in which case you're backpedalling on the very basis of what you're saying in the first place.

The idea of someone engaging in a violation of others had nothing to do with the conversation, you injected that into it.
Nope, I didn't say a pedo or animal luster acting on it (nor did I rule that out), I said the very lust in itself. The mind that's attracted to that is no different in helplessness to the mind attracted to one's own gender or that believes it's in a wrong body. Your logic is to never impose on people a conversion they don't themselves innately want, so if gays or trans people want it then what?

So now your responding to my post attacking the idea you injected. It's not what I was saying.
No I am not, I am attacking your own idea from 2 different angles, meaning whether you defend it or backtrack you're snookered either way.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Double_R
Whether it's an alcoholic, an obese person or a transgender person, if you support pushing them when they feel they're not in a position they want to consider your viewpoint, you support it. If not you don't, whether we add pedo or homosexual or heterosexual onto that or not.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
Careful Double_R, looks like you're invited to think abstractly; prejudices don't translate.

If someone does something you think is unhealthy and they think is healthy, would you force therapy?

If someone does something you think is healthy, but they think is unhealthy, would you allow therapy?

(spoiler alert)
All abstract moral questions lead to vale analysis and value analysis implies liberty. Liberty says that if a homosexual wants to consult with someone to try and change sexual orientation (or anyone wants to consult with anyone to change anything about themselves) they have that right.

The only real question is what practices are regulated under medical professional standards, and given that psychologists have proven themselves clueless again and again I would say we don't need to answer that question because there is no science to consider.
Mall
Mall
-->
@Sidewalker
It's not the point.
Mall
Mall
Folks seem to be so apprehensive or resistant to de-conversion therapy. They want to make themselves appear non hypocritical by saying they support it but in an ulterior place, they want to make sure de-conversion therapy is not a rampant phenomena or real one perhaps to make a statement that transitioning in the first place is not so wrong and shouldn't be seen as such.

Truth is , according to interviews I've heard, people do regret and it is possible. Not really more heavier than that.

Just because you support de-conversion, doesn't mean you have hate or weigh negative on initial transgender conversion.

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Mall
It's not the point.
Because it's pointless.
Mall
Mall
-->
@Sidewalker
I like to have all hearts and minds clear.

Do you have a problem with what you think, keywords: what you think my stance is?
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Mall
I like to have all hearts and minds clear.
No you don't, you are obtuse and incoherent by design, you intentionally obscure the issue.

Do you have a problem with what you think, keywords: what you think my stance is?
I have a problem with the fact that you are patently dishonest about what your stance is, you won't answer questions about it and you seem to think being coy is clever or something.  All I know about your stance is you are ashamed of it, if not, you would admit to what your stance is.

You make up things and interrogate people regarding the things you make up, in some way you find being dishonest about your "stance" satisfying or something.

It really isn't the least bit clever, and nobody is fooled by it, your bigotry comes through loud and clear.  
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@RationalMadman
Also, context matters. When we're talking about gays/ trans people we're talking about people making choices for themselves.
No we aren't, unless you suggest they choose to be gay/trans, in which case you're backpedalling on the very basis of what you're saying in the first place.
I have no idea what you're talking about. This sounds like we're having two entirely different conversations.

This began with the OP:
Is [de-conversion therapy] wrong to insist on the l.g.b.t.?
Again, if you're insisting then it is by definition not something they want for themselves, so you are in fact pushing them into something you want for them instead.

I consider it basic common sense that we should all have the right to decide what's best for ourselves. If you disagree on that then please make your position clear.

But back to the point, everything about how this conversation began and everything I've said since makes clear that we're talking about people making their own choices. Simply saying "no we aren't" is not a response. Tell me what part of my posts departed from this.

Nope, I didn't say a pedo or animal luster acting on it (nor did I rule that out), I said the very lust in itself.
You did not say that. Here is your response in post 8:
Pedos and animal fuckers especially come under this in a way you're alluding to being wrong.
You never mentioned nor implied that you were merely talking about lust. In fact, "animal fucker" by definition implies action. And when people talk about pedophiles, they are rarely talking about people who don't have sex with children, so you weren't being clear here at all.

Moreover, since the topic here is about insisting that others de-convert (who by logical extension do not want to) then it makes no sense to invoke a person who merely has a desire to have sex with children but won't (likely for moral reasons). Anyone who fits that category would be expected to welcome de-conversion therapy so there is no reason I would assume that's what you were talking about.

The mind that's attracted to that is no different in helplessness to the mind attracted to one's own gender or that believes it's in a wrong body.
Nonsense. It is morally wrong to have sex with children, it is also highly illegal. Anyone who has this desire has every reason to want something different for themselves.

There is nothing immoral or illegal about having sex with a person of the opposite gender or transitioning, So there is absolutely nothing for this person to feel helpless about.

Your logic is to never impose on people a conversion they don't themselves innately want
No, it's not. Nothing about my posts imply that I'm speaking in absolutes, that's not how rational conversations are generally had.

if gays or trans people want it then what?
Then that is what they want for themselves.

Mall
Mall
-->
@Sidewalker
If you're going to keep this judgement of me, there's no essence in interacting with me.

This is a unique issue that you have. I'm not getting this rhetoric from others.

They just interact as appropriate as possible. If you don't believe what I say, why interact with an individual you believe is dishonest?

Don't waste yourself comrade.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
If someone does something you think is unhealthy and they think is healthy, would you force therapy?

If someone does something you think is healthy, but they think is unhealthy, would you allow therapy?
It's not a black or white, need to look at the situation as a whole.

The main thing that justifies making someone else's decisions for them is being able to show that the individual is either not mentally capable of such evaluations or is impaired in such a way that they do not understand the ramifications of their own decisions. The OP only vaguely referenced this idea only by suggesting that some people regret their decisions. So like I said, we all regret decisions we make so that is not nearly a good enough justification.

Liberty says that if a homosexual wants to consult with someone to try and change sexual orientation (or anyone wants to consult with anyone to change anything about themselves) they have that right.
Literally the point I have been making.

given that psychologists have proven themselves clueless again and again I would say we don't need to answer that question because there is no science to consider.
Right, the experts have no expertise. Apparently you're the only real expert, because you read a few things on the internet.  Very on brand.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
Liberty says that if a homosexual wants to consult with someone to try and change sexual orientation (or anyone wants to consult with anyone to change anything about themselves) they have that right.
Literally the point I have been making.
Then we agree on something, amazing.

given that psychologists have proven themselves clueless again and again I would say we don't need to answer that question because there is no science to consider.
Right, the experts have no expertise. Apparently you're the only real expert
I would say I'm an expert and recognizing the difference between experts and pseudo-experts.

For instance when you ask an expert why they were wrong about something they give you the logical error or the bad data that they relied upon. When you ask a pseudo-expert they scoff and walk away.

So why was homosexuality considered a mental disorder of such severity that it warranted chemical castration?

Why did they believe that? What changed scientifically since then?

There is no answer because it was never a science to begin with. They gave a false air of scientific legitimacy to the prejudices of their culture then, and they are doing the same thing now.
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
So why was homosexuality considered a mental disorder of such severity that it warranted chemical castration?
Almost like map now.

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Mall
If you're going to keep this judgement of me, there's no essence in interacting with me.
That's my point, you are not interacting, you are playing some kind of game that you think is clever..

This is a unique issue that you have. I'm not getting this rhetoric from others.
Oh, I see, well please send me your tough shit ticket and I'll punch it for you.
They just interact as appropriate as possible. If you don't believe what I say, why interact with an individual you believe is dishonest?
You don't know what the word "interact" even means, do you?

It is a matter of reciprocity, in this case it would involve something like a dialog, communicating in both directions, you are not interacting, you are simply playing some kind of game that you think is clever.

Don't waste yourself comrade.
Opposing bigotry is not a waste.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
For instance when you ask an expert why they were wrong about something they give you the logical error or the bad data that they relied upon. When you ask a pseudo-expert they scoff and walk away.
So you judge expertise not by having demonstrated results in their feilds, but rather by how articulate they are in a debate style format.

Bullshitters are very good at articulating their bullshit too.

I would say I'm an expert and recognizing the difference between experts and pseudo-experts.
And I would say I'm an expert at recognizing expertise detectors vs expertise detector wannabes.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
So you judge expertise not by having demonstrated results in their feilds
If results are repeatable predictions of the non-obvious variety then of course that demonstrates expertise, well to be precise it demonstrates they are using useful theories which is a good definition of an expert.

If results = being praised by other so called experts then that means nothing.

Bullshitters are very good at articulating their bullshit too.
You would know, but the lack of substance remains.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Yep, why would the people who do something for a living recognizing a special ability in an individual doing that very thing be meaningful when I can just declare myself to know better?

You would know, but the lack of substance remains.
dUh goOd OnE bOss

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
Yep, why would the people who do something for a living recognizing a special ability in an individual doing that very thing be meaningful when I can just declare myself to know better?
I don't know, do you?
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
It's called humility. Google it.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
People who do something for a living recognizing a special ability in an individual doing that very thing is meaningful because of humility?

Mmm... doesn't quite follow.

9 days later

Mall
Mall
-->
@Sidewalker
Everytime you respond to me is interacting.

What are you talking about?

You're talking about a bunch of nothing. 

Just wasting your time and pre-judging and judging trying to call out it on me when you're just projecting.