Are we naturally "racist"?

Author: Mall

Total: 53
Mall
Debates: 336
Mall
Are we naturally tribalistic?

Does tribalism give strength to budding "racism"?

Is there value in maintaining separation of racially classified communities?

Should segregation be a forgotten concept in the next 100 years?

There are individuals today still pushing for nationalist ideologies based on the history of "race" relations. 

Someone that disapproves of a certain sexuality, is that one prejudice, making prejudgment akin to those doing so in regard to skin color or is there an actual valid basis possibly such as something physiologically related?
baggins
Debates: 4
baggins
We have evolved to recognize patterns and stick around the people that look like us the most. Nationalistic ideologies will most likely return in Europe in the next 15-25 years imo. 

Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Mall
We are all racist on some level (depending on the definition of course). All life on earth prefers its own kind over that which is different, that's why we gravitate towards people we have things in common with. When we look at someone with completely different skin color, our natural instincts presume differences until the similarities are demonstrated.

The question we should be asking is at what point does this natural impulse become problematic? At what point does this instinct infect our ability to relate to and care for others?

This is the problem with the folks who see racism in everything. If you are looking everywhere for it, of course you're going to find it. And to those who think it isn't a real thing worthy of attention as if we've solved it, you're just denying basic human nature. The worthwhile conversation is in the nuance.
Mall
Mall
-->
@baggins
"We have evolved to recognize patterns and stick around the people that look like us"

WhY don't we all do this?
Mall
Mall
-->
@Double_R
Same question to you.

Not every single person gravitates towards another where the color of skin is a part of the equation. 

Maybe you can make an argument for general average cases because on average people do socially segregate into their communities and families.

But there are those outliers. So is "racism" or this type of social arrangement really natural or is it socially conditioned in on average?

Is it socially conditioned out in outliers occasionally?

Even being brought up in a tribe, village, community, small town even, those people can still be open minded and unifying based simply on what they were taught. The information they received, media, programming, etc.

Amber
Debates: 0
Amber
-->
@Mall
Blacks are the worst racists planet wide. FACT

baggins
baggins
-->
@Mall
WhY don't we all do this?
“In terms of the science behind it, pattern recognition is closely linked to our brain's ability to process information and make connections between different stimuli. It involves the integration of sensory input and the activation of neural networks that help us identify and interpret patterns. This process relies on various cognitive functions, including perception, attention, memory, and learning. While there may be individual differences in the strength or efficiency of these cognitive processes, pattern recognition is a fundamental aspect of human cognition that has evolved over time.“

Via quick google search
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Mall
We are inherently discriminatory.

It's a survival mechanism.

And then we can think about it and come up with varying conclusions.

Which would require a sociological dissertation, in order to explain in full.
Mall
Mall
-->
@zedvictor4
There's no question on discrimination. There's discrimination in shoes to wear, clothes to wear, where to live, what to live in, where to go, what's used to get there, where to work, what to eat.

I'm talking about acting or making a social move with somebody influenced by skin color.

Is that natural? In other words for instance, two individuals work in a store. I need help in finding a product. Both have two different shades of color in their skin.

Which would I ask for help from?

Am I going to speak with one over the other because of skin tone or because the assistance I can get perhaps is more closer in proximity than the other, less occupied, more convenient or any other rational factor , etc.?

Maybe one is in training, first day I heard him say . As well as I heard "I don't know where anything is".

If you say skin color has a play in it, where did that come from? Was it taught into you to craft a mindset to make such decisions?

Is it natural? If it is, why don't some individuals operate that way? Were they conditioned to suppress their natural biases?

These are things I'm looking for us to analyze.
Mall
Mall
-->
@baggins
In other words, specifically layman's.....it's not natural.

I mean let's simplify all this to get an understanding of the bottom line.
Mall
Mall
-->
@Amber
What is your response to those that say "blacks" can't be "racist"?

They the blacks have no control or power over anything .

What they call racism is white supremacy the only form of racism on the planet. White supremacy is racism and racism is white supremacy.

The white supremacists are in charge and control who gets what when and where and can affect situations of non whites day to day where they live, work and eat just as the slave master did. So in turn slavery has never ended for blacks and racism is slavery and it is mistreatment with dominating the non whites of the planet.
Mall
Mall
Some of you I asked questions to I can believe you're stuck or stumped. Time to sit back and really analyze the world and the way people are.

Take a look at the supremacists, the nationalists, the racial pride toting folks. 

We weren't born with these ideologies. As early as 4 or 5 years of age, were there signs demonstrated of holding these concepts? 

If we're mirroring the environments we were in well there you go. That's conditioning. Don't mix that up with innate tendencies.

You were told ,TOLD you are or were a member of a "race". If you weren't, when did you make the decision to join and sign up?
baggins
baggins
-->
@Mall
In other words, specifically layman's.....it's not natural.
….

I mean let's simplify all this to get an understanding of the bottom line.
Well I think to understand something you need to do the opposite and talk about it in detail and not simplify it. But if you must simplify it, I would put it like this. Racism is related (not solely but largely) to pattern recognition and survival instincts. Both natural. The reason why some people don’t have it is just bc they suck at it. 

Another example outside of pattern recognition is any other cognitive process. Like “planning”. Our brains engage in complex decision-making, problem-solving, and organizing information. Why some people suck at planning? Obviously there’s perfectly reasonable and scientific explanation for that and its not bc “planning” is not natural. Same goes for “pattern recognition”. Just because some people suck at it doesn’t mean it’s not natural for the general population of the human race. Pattern recognition does not have to lead to racism but it’s undeniable that it exists as part of our evolution.
Mall
Mall
-->
@baggins
"The reason why some people don’t have it is just bc they suck at it. "

If you say "racism " is natural, there would not be some people not having it.

You saying the words "suck at it" is indicative of a lack of or without but something natural is within. 

Something that has to be taught to you and you are struggling to learn and execute it, that is where the phrase "suck at it" can be applied. If you just can't pick it up, get the hang of it or lack the education that would otherwise help you to succeed at something, you would perform poorly at it or be unable to perform altogether.

baggins
baggins
Pattern recognition does not have to lead to racism but it’s undeniable that it exists as part of our evolution

Racism is related

pattern recognition is closely linked to our brain's ability to process information ... This process relies on various cognitive functions    … While there may be individual differences in the strength or efficiency of these cognitive processes, pattern recognition is a fundamental aspect of human cognition that has evolved over time.

We have evolved to recognize patterns

1. I never said racism is natural, I said pattern recognition is.
  2. If pattern recognition leads to racism or not is debatable and will vary depending upon the situation. Other factors can make someone racist too. (Example: propaganda, bad experience, brainwashing, cultural environment, etc.)
  3. Even if racism was natural I already answered the question “why doesn’t everyone do it” and you didn’t address a single thing about it. So again, while pattern recognition is a natural cognitive process, the extent to which individuals excel at it can vary. Some people may have a natural talent or inclination for pattern recognition, while others may need more practice or training to develop this skill. It's similar to how some people have a natural talent for music or sports, while others may need more practice to excel. As for other examples of natural processes that not everyone does, one could be critical thinking. Critical thinking involves analyzing information, evaluating arguments, and making reasoned judgments. While it's a natural cognitive process, not everyone actively engages in critical thinking in their everyday lives. It's a skill that can be developed with practice. So, while these processes are natural, their development and application can vary from person to person. 
  4. You saying the words "suck at it" is indicative of a lack of or without but something natural is within. ”.    Weird that thats the only thing you addressed, obviously I used that expression metaphorically and if you want me to reword it literally I would say exactly what I said first but you wanted it simplified so that’s what it is.  People’s natural cognitive functions work on different levels and are based on their environment too. 
  5. When dogs hear the loud fireworks during New Year’s Celebrations its natural for them to get confused or scared. Meanwhile you can have a dog that’s used to them, has been exposed to them before, knows what that sound is, and is not scared. That doesn’t make the hiding of the other dogs unnatural. Can they be trained? Yes. Does that make their first initial reaction unnatural? No. Could you say metaphorically that they sucked at first at not being scared of the fireworks? Yes. Does “suck at it” means that they lacked something natural? No, actually the opposite. They reacted naturally before they were thought to not be scared. Loud unidentified noise=potential danger. The brain registering a potential danger=the natural reaction of being scared. Same cognitive functions are happening in human brains. If you interact with 20 new people every day (10 red and 10 blue) you can eventually  see that 6/10 of the red people that you have met so far were on average  6”3 and 8/10 of the blue people were Australians. The next time you see a blue person your brain knows theres 80% chance he is Australian based on your history. If someone tells you they are expecting a red person to walk in any minute your brain will automatically predict its likely to be a tall person above 6”.  Are some people worse and some better at this? Yes. Can it be improved with training? Irrelevant, bc it would still be something thats natural.

Mall
Mall
-->
@baggins
You'd be correct of "racism" not being natural. But someone here said "We are all racist ".

Now we can agree "racism" is taught but are all of us taught it?
baggins
baggins
-->
@Mall

I guess I could agree that racism can occur due to natural occurrences (pattern recognition + some bad experiences) and/or unnatural occurrences (propaganda, brainwashing or different influences)
Amber
Amber
-->
@Mall
<<<Amber>>>
What is your response to those that say "blacks" can't be "racist"?
They are either ignorant (uneducated), a liberal in denial, or a racist themselves. 

They the blacks have no control or power over anything .
Power has nothing to do with racism. Anyone can be racist. It's an innate human learnable behavior/attitude.

What they call racism is white supremacy the only form of racism on the planet. White supremacy is racism and racism is white supremacy.
That's circular nonsense. 
Also, there is no white supremacy anymore than there is black supremacy, Asian supremacy, Hispanic supremacy, so on and so forth. 

The white supremacists are in charge and control who gets what when and where and can affect situations of non whites day to day where they live, work and eat just as the slave master did. So in turn slavery has never ended for blacks and racism is slavery and it is mistreatment with dominating the non whites of the planet.
What you described here is Democratic party ideology, not white supremacy. 
When you live in a county with a majority population of a particular race, there will always be more individuals of that race in every facet and corner of life in that country. It's asinine for 13% of the population to demand 50/50 placement in all those facets and corners of life, there simply are not enough of them to go around to fill 50% of everything. Even when a lesser population opens the door to more wealth, power and prestige they gravitate towards the dominate racial group. It's precisely why minorities move far far away from their hood/rundown neighborhood. Patrisse Cullors sure did when she ripped off people donating to Burn Loot Murder by taking millions and buying herself a mansion in a white neighborhood.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mall
Everything is natural.

Like human social evolution.

And we are in a slightly different place to where we were, say 50 years ago.

Of course, data transfer keeps the process in check.

And there are a lot of people who like to transfer discriminatory/ racist data.

As for the lighter guy darker guy dilemma.

Well, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Mall
Mall
-->
@baggins
Natural occurrence of teaching it yes.
Mall
Mall
-->
@Amber
"What you described here is Democratic party ideology, not white supremacy. "

Ok Democratic party supremacy . We can call it that. Democratic party supremacists who practice "racism" 24/7 dominating all the " non white " people of the planet in every area of people activity.

1. Economics
2. Education
3. Entertainment
4. Labor
5. Law
6. "Politics"
7. Religion
8. Sex
9. War

Mall
Mall
-->
@zedvictor4
"Everything is natural."

What is everything?

Animate and inanimate or is it just animate?
sadolite
sadolite
I judge people by their skills, the life decisions they make and their understanding of economics in a capitalist society because I supposedly live in one. Other than that not much else. But that's just me. But with that said, there isn't anything or anyone that can be made racist with a simple baseless narrative that the masses will eat like candy. For example:  

“Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as White,” Rochelle Gutierrez wrote, according to an article in Campus Reform.

Math is racist.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mall
Everything, is the Universe and all that is contained and occurs therein.
Mall
Mall
-->
@zedvictor4
Everything at its root is natural. But not everything.

Once something is taken from its source, synthesized, altered in a lab for instance, that's not a natural process, it was a synthetic one.
Amber
Amber
-->
@Mall
Democratic party supremacists who practice "racism" 24/7 dominating all the " non white " (sic) people of the planet in every area of people activity.
Of the planet? 

When we speak of the Democratic party, we are talking about the United States of America, not the 'planet.' *facepalm*

1. Economics
Not possible.

2. Education
Not possible. 

3. Entertainment
Not possible.  

4. Labor
Not possible.  

5. Law
Not possible.  

6. "Politics"
Not possible. 

7. Religion
Not possible. 

8. Sex
Not possible. 

9. War
Not possible. 

Naturally you would reply, "why or how is it not possible."

Easy. Because non-white people are involved in all those aspects of life to an extent that even surpasses whites in those areas. 

The ONLY segment of blacks, or non-whites, in all those areas that fail to equal or exceed the dominate group (whites) is because of choice. They choose victimhood ('acting white' syndrome) over self-improvement. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Amber
I don't know about blacks being the MOST racist, but they are certainly among the least diverse, with China and Japan being at the top of cultural intolerance.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Amber
You won't find any Asians in Wakanda, and you also wont find any blacks in Shogun.

Amber
Amber
-->
@Greyparrot
-->
@<<<Amber>>>
I don't know about blacks being the MOST racist, but they are certainly among the least diverse, 

and u r right. they are the least diverse. FACT! Yet these clowns demand diversity. 
Amber
Amber
-->
@Greyparrot
You won't find any Asians in Wakanda, and you also wont find any blacks in Shogun.
Naturally.