Orthodox Christianity Apologetics Q&A

Author: Mopac

Total: 219
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
Okay... since there are books on that just one word, i'll get more specific. Do people become eternal in paradise? Does god take away my fear, my hate and my anger? 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
Yes to all of the above.

Except no god does these things. It is God who does these things.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
In addition, will there be more than one lover? Can i have more than one lover? I've found that is how i love. I'm not made to love just one person. So can i have multiple lovers? 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
What do you call love?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
Everything that comes with it. Emotions, taking care of, protecting, loving the person more than myself, doing anything for, and yes... showing by making love to her. 
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
Just as a slight and unimportant nitpick, your claim that Orthodox Christians have never persecuted non-Orthodox is inaccurate: see Catholic Croat victims of the Bosnian genocide, committed by Orthodox Serbs (it should be noted that Serbs and Croats speak the same language and are divided instead along denominational lines).
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Swagnarok
They weren't truly Orthodox, duh... 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
Okay i have to get off for a bit and i'm pretty sure i know the answer to the last question (tell me if i'm wrong), but i'm most curious with the rest. Okay, I'll start with being eternal. That is literally my worst nightmare. I've also fallen in love with my darkness. It is absolutely in my control, but i love that it's there. And i won't love just one person... but i can say this one is a possibility, however in no way for eternity... and, I'm not alone in this. So is there somewhere else people like me go? Bc just those three being true literally is a hell. Being stuck eternally as someone i'm not. So is that what i would be looking forward to being a Christian? Hell or hell for not believing? I'm truly confused. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
There is a love even greater in paradise. A type of love that is so much greater than the eros you speak of, you would not miss it.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Swagnarok
The church certainly does not condone this sort of thing.

I actually know a surviver of this war. Interesting guy. Speaks like 4 languages. Crazier than a shithouse rat.

But you blaming this on Orthodoxy makes very little sense. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
It is really a shameful thing to be controlled or defined by one's lusts or passions. We would not say this is who you really are. This would say this is a false identity. An identity that cheapens who you actually are.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
There is a love even greater in paradise. A type of love that is so much greater than the eros you speak of, you would not miss it.
I don't get how that is attractive to you... This literally sounds like hell. Not only will who i am be erased... i will be fed eternal heroin. I do not like love that much. My darker parts are what makes me who i am. Without them, i'm literally dead and i would rather be nothing than live on in such a place. And not only that... i will be stuck in eternity. Which is another hell in and of itself. This is how you know it's man-made... the promises are the same promises a heroin dealer would tell you. It literally makes no sense how you don't see it. 

It is really a shameful thing to be controlled or defined by one's lusts or passions. We would not say this is who you really are. This would say this is a false identity. An identity that cheapens who you actually are.
And here you go with pre-programmed Christian bigotry. I am neither controlled or defined by lust. Passion is not a bad thing. I'm semi-asexual. I can only make love to a women i literally love everything about (personality, physically, emotionally). It's disgusting if it's any degree otherwise. But i cannot be with one women for eternity... eternal life with no possibility of death would be hell to me. Maybe not you, or others, fine... it is to me.

How does the Bible address this issue? Can it address this issue? Did humans thousands of years ago not think of this? Were humans in such conditions that an eternal happy place just sounded good? Are humans so afraid of death and losing loved ones that an eternity with them just sounds good? But it doesn't sound good to me and others of my opinion so where do we go? I don't get paradise? That is my train of thought which leads me to believe it's man-made. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
Well, you may not like to hear it, but what you are describing are the symptoms of idolatry. While it may seem appealing, it is in fact the embrace of death.

And if that offends you, it cannot be helped. I am certainly not a bigot, and I certainly do not hate you. I am not telling you what you want to hear. It is not to cause harm. That is certainly not the intent.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
Well, you may not like to hear it, but what you are describing are the symptoms of idolatry. While it may seem appealing, it is in fact the embrace of death.
So know who i am is literally labelled as idolatry? That makes no sense but your are deflecting from all the other points. I dropped the i can't be with one person point, who knows, i might find one that i can be with... but certainly not for "eternity." Everything about eternity scares the crap out of me and i'm confident would be hell. In sum, paradise makes no sense.  

We can put this aside if you want bc i don't think you can address it other than labeling there are things wrong with me... which i will continue to find ridiculous. The second point is just as important... how do you think vile humans would pass your religion down for all these years without corrupting it. And, as you can see, and should be familiar with being Catholic, even church members are vile. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
If I told you that I knew, you wouldn't believe.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
You don't know. You can only have reasoning and logic. If your reason is purely bc god won't let that happen... i would say tell the young kids that get molested by priests that they don't count in god's plan. God only guides their hands not their dicks. If you have logical reasons, i'd be willing to consider. 

I've given you my two most honest reasons for why i don't believe in any religion. I'm not arguing text, i'm not even going to argue the impossible claims in the Bible or argue contradictions... i'm giving you my two most honest and important reasons for why i think the Bible is corrupted and religion is man-made. If your only answers are there is something wrong with me or god is great and wouldn't let that happen... i'm simply going to doubt you know anything that your talking about... just blindly following for some personal reason which i really don't care about... believe whatever you want. You just aren't any good at showing others why you believe other than this blind faith.  

I mean, i've asked Christian's these questions before and i get various answers... none of them convincing so far to date. However, creative answers and some do make me think. In regards to me being with one lover... i've been told she can turn into anyone and change her appearance. Creative stuff. But ultimately the most honest answer i've gotten from humble believers is that they don't know. So either you have something creative i haven't heard before, or you have some logic or reasoning that will make me think... but so far, your lacking in both. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
If you have any questions about Orthodoxy, I will do my best to answer. Please, one question at a time.

I am going to tell you what I know to be true. I am not trying to convince you of anything. 
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Tradesecret
I don't think joking about going to Hell is helpful. 
Why? It's as funny as fuck.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac

Provide evidence, you can't even establish that an afterlife exists or that your 2000yr old god exists.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
I am not trying to convince you of anything.
Then why preach at all? Why be on the internet trying to tell people of god's word? You should be on with enough knowledge to convince people that you aren't just blindly following... It doesn't do much good for your credibility if you are here to say you're right without anything to convince people you're belief is accurate.  

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
I am answering questions about Orthodoxy, not myself.

Now if you have any questions about Orthodoxy, I will do my best to answer those questions to the best of my ability. Please, one question at a time.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
You still haven't given me an answer on how, especially the Orthodox view, is not corruptible. 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac

This sums up their dishonesty that is so blatant. 

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
Sorry Mopac... that last video was suppose to go to someone else. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
The Orthodox Church has been teaching the same thing for 2000 years. In fact, one of the things that has worked really well in terms of the reconciliation of Orthodox and many non-chlacedonian churches is that even after over 1500 years we still pretty much teach the same thing. The point of schism is pretty much understood as different ways of explaining the same thing.

One of the reasons I am orthodox to begin with has to do with how the orthodox church matches the earliest descriptions of how Christians did things.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Where do those descriptions come from?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
The Orthodox Church has been teaching the same thing for 2000 years. In fact, one of the things that has worked really well in terms of the reconciliation of Orthodox and many non-chlacedonian churches is that even after over 1500 years we still pretty much teach the same thing. The point of schism is pretty much understood as different ways of explaining the same thing.

One of the reasons I am orthodox to begin with has to do with how the orthodox church matches the earliest descriptions of how Christians did things.
Okay now... finally, that was a reasonable response. I've heard this before however, and "personally," i still find it lacking in part due to Disgusted's question in part due to even the Catholic church itself. But first i say this is a reasonable response bc i understand for "you" how this logic can work. It isn't just blindly following... but then again, this has another problem of ignoring and putting too much trust into the Church. 

So, i find it lacking bc what my concern with religion is the people that not only wrote, but the high priest that picked which stories to keep and which not to. I don't know if the latter applies to Orthodox since i don't know these specifics, but i would guess it went through that process. So, there have been a lot of mere humans piecing these things together. So not only do you have to trust the Orthodox church never had a person that would corrupt the church for his own game, you have to also trust every person that wrote and arranged the Bible did so without corruption. Both together... i don't trust humans at all... so for "me" i'm still not convinced. But i also can't tell you that you're wrong so if you think every human associated with the Orthodox church was never corrupted... then that's on you. Unless you can prove to me you are right, i can't concede my view. That is the furthest i've gotten on this question. There have just been too many years of people abusing the Church for their own gain for me to believe it's perfect in and of itself.  

So, i would say this one is a stalemate now and i'm okay with your response but don't agree. Unless you know something i don't know on this question, now all that's left is making sense of my paradise paradox. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
 my concern with religion is the people that not only wrote, but the high priest that picked which stories to keep and which not to. I don't know if the latter applies to Orthodox since i don't know these specifics, but i would guess it went through that process
 Orthodoxy accepts Jesus Christ as the eternal high priest. We do not have a single priest or bishop who runs the church. We do have the bible, but there are always new writings in the church. In fact, we have a lot of really good books! 

So not only do you have to trust the Orthodox church never had a person that would corrupt the church for his own game, you have to also trust every person that wrote and arranged the Bible did so without corruption. Both together... i don't trust humans at all... so for "me" i'm still not convinced

The Orthodox Church is structured in such a way as to make the corruption of it by one person very unlikely if not impossible. There is no one person who runs the church.

We do not make the bible an idol before God. Scripture points to Jesus Christ, that is the intent. The church is made up of people, and all have sinned. The purpose of the church is to be a hospital. It is not structured in a way so as to be exploited for gain. In fact, those who are ordained as bishops tend to be monastics, and you don't get to be a bishop if you are chasing after filthy lucre!

The faith is not in people though, it is God, and the priests are supposed to help you with that. They aren't really supposed to lord authority over people. In fact, orthodoxy emphasizes free will, and as such is against using methods of coercion. They tell you the truth, and it is up to you what to do with it.

Now if I understand the rest of what you are saying and your whole post, it has to do with trusting people and an organization made of people.

There are examples in history of the government trying to hijack the church and use it for their means. It doesn't work. Besides, at best, governments can only corrupt a piece of the church for maybe a short period of time. When the oppression is lifted, the church is helped to revert back to base by the rest of the church. The church itself? It is not made to have secular power. 

See, in the west, The Roman Catholic Church has done a lot of these types of things. They are not with us. They practice a very perverse deviation of the faith, which is why they are not orthodox. They have had secular governments. We orthodox consider this a big no no. We maintain that we must operate independently of the state. Orthodoxy has been, and is the state religion of some countries, but we are. distinct from the government, and claim no secular authority.

Our priests are not rich, and they are burdened with a lot of work. They are servants of the people, not lords over them. 

Even if there are corrupt laymen, corrupt priests, corrupt bishops, these bad ones cannot corrupt the whole church because we take Holy Tradition very seriously.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@disgusted
I don't think joking about going to Hell is helpful. 
Why? It's as funny as f***.
So you think the concept of people being tortured forever is something to laugh about? 

I am certainly glad I don't hold the same values as you. 
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Outplayz

It's really not a joke. Everything about the Christian afterlife i find to be hell. I think heaven would be hell, i think hell would be hell, and i think purgatory would be hell if you bring that into it. And none of that is a joke. It's one of the primary reasons i don't believe in Christianity. 
And pray tell, what about Heaven is to be likened to Hell?