Another classic: Intercessory Prayer and Efficacy

Author: ludofl3x

Total: 204
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
Anything to justify your hatred of God as usual.

disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
I don't hate your god, it doesn't exist. I am though showing you that your beliefs are asinine beyond refute. That is why you need to resort to such a silly non sequitur
Your beliefs contradict your beliefs and you have no valid response..
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
You attack God because the opposite of nihilism is accepting that God exists. You are trying to justify yourself.

You certainly aren't trying to help anyone. It is very apparent to me that you are only thinking of yourself.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
Put less agressively, disgusted is pointing out that an omniscient God would have known beforehand that disgusted would end up in hell.   Would an omnibenevolent god create a soul that would inevitably suffer for eternity?

In other words, it seems an entity that is both omniscient and omnibenevolent cannot exist. 

It's a reduced version of an epigram attributed to Epicurus:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Atheists don't hate god they hate theists and theists better wise up to it. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
That of course comes from a very skewed idea of what constitutes good.

Freewill is a gift from God that is good. As we have freewill, we can choose to do evil with it. 

What is more evil than being seperated from God? The wicked will be tormented because they can't be seperated from God. It is their own delusion that puts them in hell. God can't be blamed for this.

Do you think it is preferable that we were all automatons?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
Freewill is a gift from God that is good. As we have freewill, we can choose to do evil with it. 
Free will is philosophically 'interesting', to say the least!

But theologians just use it to fudge the logical problems raised by giving God omniscience, as you are doing.  Invoking free will allows theologians to shift blame for bad things away from God without backtracing on their claims of God's infinite powers.

If god is omniscient, He knows what you will do ahead of time ergo freewill is at most an illusion, if it exists at all.  If he does not know what you will chose, he is not omniscient.

I confess I find scholastic word games boring.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
It isn't a scholastic wordgame. Your inability to wrap your head around it does not invalidate these things.

Omniscience does not negate free will.

Can't make sense of it? 

You don't have to, that is the way it is.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I do not believe any god is omniscient, I do not believe in free will. 
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
You attack God because the opposite of nihilism is accepting that God exists. You are trying to justify yourself.
I keep telling you and you continue to lie about it but I don't attack your god, it doesn't exist, I bring attention to the contradiction and stupidity of your beliefs. Please learn to comprehend and respond to what I write and not what you would like me to write otherwise you only respond to yourself.

You certainly aren't trying to help anyone. It is very apparent to me that you are only thinking of yourself.
I don't need to convince me, your errors are as plain as day to me so I'm definitely not thinking of myself.
disgusted
disgusted
Why witchy and from where do you get erroneous claims.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
God is not a contingent existence. The Ultimate Reality cannot be contingent on anything

According to your holiest of holy books, Merriam Webster your ultimate reality is contingent on reality.

: something that is the supreme, final, and fundamental power in all reality

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Anything to justify your hatred of God as usual.
Point out the hatred. Oh that's right you're a LIAR for Jesus.You continuously make claims you can't support and then run away when challenged to support them.

--> @Mopac
Not at all. The individual made that choice when they decided they didn't care about the truth anymore.
So you now claim that your god sees you in hell and you can do something that will prove his knowledge wrong and prove he isn't all knowing.
We were given free will by God. Just because God knows what we are going to do does not mean that God dictates what we do.
This is meaningless in relation to the matter under discussion. Before creation your god saw my entire life of choices and my spending eternity in hell and he still created me to satisfy his psychopathic sadism. Good God.

So if you find yourself in hell, just remember.. God didn't put you there. You chose to be there.
God created me for the pleasure he gets from torturing me for eternity, because before he created anything he saw me in hell and created me anyway. He's the only one who can put me in hell. Try a little thinking, it doesn't take much.

keithprosser
keithprosser
But suppose next week you choose to become a Christian.   God already knows if you will or not, but you don't know, i don't know and mopac doesn't know.  It is entirely up to you what you do next week.   Whatever you choose then is what god saw.  God knows but does not dictate your future choices.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@keithprosser
God knows Ralph is in hell and creates Ralph anyway, god creates Ralph for the sole purpose of torturing Ralph for eternity.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@disgusted
'Ralph' does not know his fate.   He can choose to be Christian at any time, as can you.   Possibly God creates some souls that are fated to be damned but you can choose not to be amongst them.

Allegedly. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
The Church does not teach that some souls are destined to be damned.

Calvinists do! But those are Presbytarians, not Orthodox.

It is no strange thing that God can see what we are going to choose without having determined what we are going to choose.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@keithprosser
It doesn't matter what Ralph knows it matters what god knows. God knows Ralph is in hell before he creates anything and yet he still creates Ralph for that specific purpose. To torture him for eternity. We are discussing an omniscient and omnipotent god's behaviour.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
Disgusted argues that omniscience implies predestination.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
Disgusted doesn't believe anything he argues, he's a nihilist. 
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
The Church does not teach that some souls are destined to be damned.
Yes it does, by teaching that your god is all knowing and that hell exists. Your god's omniscience has your god knowing that Jo is in hell before Jo is created and yet your omniscient omnipotent god creates Jo anyway. Your god creates Jo for the purpose of torturing Jo for eternity.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
In other words, you are denying freewill.

disgusted
disgusted
Question.
Henry dies and goes to hell.
Did your god know that Henry would end up in hell?
Does your god know everything?
Did your god create Henry knowing that he was in hell?
Why would your god do that?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
Here is a better question.

Who are you to question what God does?

You don't even believe in God. That invalidates your entire line of reasoning.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Can't you read?
Does your god know all. Past, present and future as the same as you claim?
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Don't be so scared.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
You don't believe in God, so your questioning amounts to little more than mockery.

And I tell you this, if you find yourself in torment, blaming God or even denying God altogether isn't going to do you any good.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Disgusted doesn't believe anything he argues, he's a nihilist. 

Is lying all you have. Prove your claim true. You can't because you worship lies, it's your religion.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
You are the proof of your nihilism. 

You don't believe in proof though, you're a nihilist. 

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
You don't believe in God, so your questioning amounts to little more than mockery.
You can't answer the questions so you do what every godist does and resort to lying, it's all the likes of you have.

Question.
Henry dies and goes to hell.
Did your god know that Henry would end up in hell?
Does your god know everything?
Did your god create Henry knowing that he was in hell?
Why would your god do that?
Got any answers LIAR?