"YHWH" =/= Conservative Politics

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 129
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@secularmerlin
If I am to take that as wanting to return to the conversation at hand I then ask if you intend to respond to 34 or if you would like to return to the original point of contention (That the commands of the Yahweh are not directly equatable to conservative politics).
Snoopy responded to POST#34 with POST#37 then POST#40 then POST#60 and POST#62
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@3RU7AL
Post 39 not 34 my mistake.

Apologies to @Snoopy as well for the misunderstanding.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Snoopy
Well, maybe, but I actually don't know the precise purpose of the thread.
I propose that the purpose of this thread is to discuss whether or not the Yahweh (if such a being even exists) supports traditionally conservative politics and since the only measuring stick we have to determine the answer to that question are the commands attributed to the Yahweh I would further propose that these commands are central to the discussion. If you see a specific flaw in my reasoning please point it out or provide a counter factual.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
Actually, I don't know the actual purpose of the thread.
I find it puzzling that Americans tend to equate "the teachings of the christian bible" with "conservative political ideology".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For example,

Immigration rights - I do not oppose immigration but it should be legal immigration. Criminals bring problems and immorality to a country. 
Jerusalem and many cities in ancient Israel had walls for a purpose, to protect those within the walls from evil for the times, just like ours, had lots of evil. 

Minority rights - the minority should have the same rights as the majority, not special rights just because they are in the minority unless they have a disability and need additional care, IMO. 

Homosexual rights - the Bible teaches some things are wrong because God created humanity with a union of a male with a female in mind as a reflection of a greater truth. This relationship also produces offspring and God command humanity to go out and multiply. A homosexual relationship does not allow such a natural family unit. I believe the best relationship for a family is one that supplies both a male and female influence and example. 

Having said all that, I still recognize that it is not mine to judge whether a person is to be saved or not. My responsibility is to know what is right and wrong. If I meet a homosexual person I still recognize they are made in the image and likeness of God [although marred by the Fall] and deserve dignity and respect from me just like God has shown to me, but I do not see the sexual act between gay people as right per the biblical teaching.   

Repentant terrorists - I am all for second chances, just like I have been given one. That does not mean that a society should leave wrongful acts unpunished. Where would the justice be in that? But it is not my job to dispense justice but to show the love of Christ to every person in treating them with love and respect, but also to act justly. Now, I shamefully fall short of these qualities often. That is why I am so thankful for what Jesus has done for me - unmerited grace, something I do not deserve yet God mercifully gave! [LINK]
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@secularmerlin
I propose that the purpose of this thread is to discuss whether or not the Yahweh (if such a being even exists) supports traditionally conservative politics and since the only measuring stick we have to determine the answer to that question are the commands attributed to the Yahweh I would further propose that these commands are central to the discussion.
Well stated.
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@secularmerlin
@3RU7AL
Assuming the creator is of relevance, it is independent of whether the Jews have a special relationship.  It doesn't make sense to speak as if God is a contingent being, which would be disrespectful.  Its necessary for you to be able to differentiate what the Jews call God, from claims of revelation.  I'm not sure the term "exist" is being used appropriately if it is limited by your world view.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Snoopy
Are you now claiming that the Yahweh's commands do not acurately reflect the politics of the Yahweh?
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@secularmerlin
That possibility is engrained into American politics.  I suspect that it is relatively intuitive on some level among much of protestant culture to this day.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Snoopy
If the Yahweh's commands reflect the Yahweh politics I fail to see how the commands of the Yahweh are not central to the discussion.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Snoopy
It doesn't make sense to speak as if God is a contingent being, which would be disrespectful.
Perhaps it is a bit off subject but you have still not explained to me your method of determining what any given deity would or would not find disrespectful. You have also failed to provide a definition of "contingent being" or demonstrated that the Yahweh can or should be excluded from this category.

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@secularmerlin
You sound ignorant when you put "the" in front of a reference to a historical name once known by the Jews.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Snoopy
You sound ignorant when you put "the" in front of a reference to a historical name.
If by historical name you mean the moniker of a being who is or was demonstrably existent I have not done so.

Even If I had refering to a historical figure so does not seem to me to necessarily denote ignorance. Would you object if I were referring to the Elvis Presley?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
You sound ignorant when you put "the" in front of a reference to a historical name once known by the Jews.
I find it equally bizarre when people use the capitalized "God" to refer specifically and exclusively to the "YHWH".

It is also clearly disrespectful to Hindus and Zoroastrians and pretty much any other religion to claim that the "YHWH" (capital G God) is the one and only true and most supreme and perfect eternal god.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
It doesn't make sense to speak as if God is a contingent being, which would be disrespectful.  Its necessary for you to be able to differentiate what the Jews call God, from claims of revelation.  God, with a capital G denotes the highest reverence or utmost significance, in monotheism, the only reverence worthy of worship.  It is said that the greatest commandment is to love God with all of your heart.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
It doesn't make sense to speak as if God is a contingent being, which would be disrespectful.  Its necessary for you to be able to differentiate what the Jews call God, from claims of revelation.  God, with a capital G denotes the highest reverence or utmost significance, in monotheism, the only reverence worthy of worship.
I guess that's the origin of intolerance.

You're perfectly welcome to refer to your imaginary friend however you like.

Just keep in mind that there are a lot of other people who have very different imaginary friends as well.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Snoopy
you have still not explained to me your method of determining what any given deity would or would not find disrespectful. You have also failed to provide a definition of "contingent being" or demonstrated that the Yahweh can or should be excluded from this category.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
Following the greatest commandment, the second is to love your neighbor as yourself.  People are intolerant for the same basic reasons, not because they love God.  To relate, think of your father.  Does your love of family cause you to act with bigotry?  No.

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@secularmerlin
You have still not explained to me your method of determining what any given deity would or would not find disrespectful. You have also failed to provide a definition of "contingent being" or demonstrated that the Yahweh can or should be excluded from this category.

It doesn't make sense to speak as if God is a contingent being, which would be disrespectful.  Its necessary for you to be able to differentiate what the Jews call God, from claims of revelation. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Snoopy
What do you mean by contingent being and how have you determined A) that any god(s) are not part of this category of beings and B) that any god(s) would find being included in that category disrespectful.

Until you have answered these questions the statement 
It doesn't make sense to speak as if God is a contingent being, which would be disrespectful.  
Is a bald assertion. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@secularmerlin
The bald assertion is in speaking about God, as if God is a contingent being.   
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Snoopy
Until you define "contingent being" and detail your method of excluding the Yahweh from this category of beings we may not even be having the same discussion and you are making a bald assertion. A bald assertion is any statement made without an accompanying argument that establishes the statement as logical.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
Following the greatest commandment, the second is to love your neighbor as yourself.
Your neighbor, who is presumably Jewish.

But they seemed to have a very different set of rules for the gentiles...

17 “Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. 18 “But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves. [LINK]
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@secularmerlin
I don't understand why you need a precise definition for that for these purposes. 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
To relate, think of your father.  Does your love of family cause you to act with bigotry?  No.
If I tried to claim that my father is the one and only true father and that all other fathers are fakes, then I might run into some problems.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
The Jews are maintaining their traditions until they recognize the Messiah.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Snoopy
Because I do not know what difference you are trying to highlight when you talk about contingency and further do not understand what disrespect you are refferencing.

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
To relate, think of your father.  Does your love of family cause you to act with bigotry?  No.
If I tried to claim that my father is the one and only true father and that all other fathers are fakes, then I might run into some problems
  Its necessary for you to be able to differentiate what the Jews call God (with Reverence) from claims of revelation. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
The Jews are maintaining their traditions until they recognize the Messiah.
Are you suggesting that murder is perfectly acceptable as long as it preserves a tradition?
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
Maybe, you tell me.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
Maybe, you tell me.
I don't know, killing women and children (except for the young girls, to be kept as slaves) seems pretty obviously immoral to me.