states with stricter gun control have fewer mass shootings

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 285
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Again, you've brought up points that I've already addressed. I could copy and paste answers and their resultant dialogues but ultimately, they lead to you dropping the point entirely and then bringing up the same point in the next page over as if you hadn't dropped the point. This doesn't even address the fact that there are pages of unaddressed points entirely. Should I create a page of those most important points that were again asked and were again unaddressed? 
I'll add now you're just making rubbish up on the spot

your whole point is murders of over x number of people is > total murders per year, then you have to ask why when they are < 0.5% of the total,
Doesn't make sense

I think it's the path to a much larger ban aka slippery slope,
Fallacy

but an arbitrary one
False

you've tried to make an argument based on emotion
False

the study you claim shows the Clinton ban had an impact didn't show what you thought it would, plenty of contra studies or at the very least inconclusive.  
False

you toss in terms like "lethality" and others you can't define or give context for, no specifics, 
False

then you admit the flaws of the Clinton ban
It may well not have been flawed, as demonstrated and explained in post #198

but weren't those done by "experts"?
Was it? Who?

The ban was also an emotional reaction and not based on any study or facts, 
False

it was inconclusive thus it expired and wasn't renewed.
False

Admittedly these answers probably aren't all that satisfying. On the other-hand, any answer is better than no answers which you seem to pull.
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
I see no benefit to delving into too many tangents, which admittedly I do.  Those where the highlights addressing why i think your proposal wouldn't work, is illogical if it's truly about saving lives etc
your "expert" study has been picked apart rather easily, but you want to try it again, aka take it on faith.  When many people are killed at one time, it is a very emotional event, regardless of how rare or small a % of the over all problem it is in reality.  But again it's emotional.  The numbers don't lie <0.5%.
the flaws in the biased study you present have been shown, other studies either show no causation or at best are inconclusive.  I'm not expert by any means, even I pointed out the many flaws with your study.  Thinking something has 'potential' is taking it on faith that will MIGHT work.  Like Obama care you have to pass it to know what's in it, or you have to try it to see if it will work.  I'm not interested in experimenting with my rights.  once you give something up, it's rarely, if ever that you get it back.  hearing protection act is a pretty good example.

post #50
"There are multiple ways to solve problems certainly. However it's ignorant to avoid the fact that without guns in the first place, mass shootings cannot take place. Easy access to guns is exactly the reason why America is a world leader among first world countries in mass shootings."

While that is true logically, that is why I think you are describing a ban, or a path to a ban of more than just "assault" weapons, which states have defined in their own way and differ between states.

"Having no guns at all prevents gun deaths. Reducing the amount of guns reduces the amount of gun deaths which is almost equally as admirable."
"I do not care about outlier events. I care about the norm."

the norm is handguns not "assault weapons"  the percentages and stats show that.

"I have complete faith that regulations will catch up to such an eventuality. In civilised countries anyway"

yes you have faith, that has been clear.

"You further refine and develop your strategy. The first step of this, is to acknowledge that there is no place for AR-15s in the hands of civilians. "
"You can only build up effective policies brick by brick. Preventing mass gun murders is a brick in an overall scheme to reduce murders."

first step, yep to banning other guns.

" I mean really, at the very least would a gun license and a gun registration be too much to ask for?"

without those you can't confiscate guns which is why a registration is unconstitutional.

"No you're right. There isn't a lot of data. However the best way to move forwards is to take these preliminary results and apply them to further laws and see what pops up and then study those results further. "

aka take it on faith.

then all the words and phrases used "lethality, potential for killing more" things you can't really explain when asked about, defining what an "assault weapon" is, how mere cosmetics make it more "lethal" or dangerous etc.  

You want to ban something you don't really know, understand and can't define, the answer to why can only lead to an emotional fear or a subtle way to expand a specific ban to include more semi auto guns, slippery slope.

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts

you say registration would be unconstitutional, but when the country was formed, almost all the states had registration, along with a bunch of other gun control laws:

i go with the way the constitution was originally intended. that's why it's constitutional to support gun control, including registration, and why it's not likely the second amendment even protects a personal right to a gun. if it did, there would be evidence that that's what they thought. in fact you can squint really hard, and not see any evidence of the sort. half of the population was excempt from the militia, so it's not like the question wasnt there. but even if everyone was in the militia, there would have been talk of people's right to a gun outside of militia contexts.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
"we're passing this amendment because people have a right to a gun". nothing of the sort was ever uttered by the founding fathers. 
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
your "expert" study has been picked apart rather easily
Not really. You have yet to make an impactful claim against the study. 

other studies either show no causation or at best are inconclusive
Other studies show no causation or at best are inconclusive towards gun violence in general.

Again, none of this relates to mass shootings

I'm not expert by any means, even I pointed out the many flaws with your study.
I assume you're talking about #169 and #171? None of what you brought up were flaws. 

Thinking something has 'potential' is taking it on faith that will MIGHT work.  Like Obama care you have to pass it to know what's in it, or you have to try it to see if it will work.
Not really. For most policies the result can be reliably predicted by following the policy to its logical conclusion.

While that is true logically, that is why I think you are describing a ban, or a path to a ban of more than just "assault" weapons, which states have defined in their own way and differ between states.
... Which is instantly dismissed by how I've subsequently and repetitively defined floors on what such a ban on assault weapons would consist of.

the norm is handguns not "assault weapons"  the percentages and stats show that.
The norm was in reference to mass shooting events in countries that have otherwise restrictive gun laws. Horrible cherry picked example.

yes you have faith, that has been clear.
It's hardly faith to recognise that in any event where something becomes a problem, the government will react to it by formulating more regulations. Is this something you don't recognise?

first step, yep to banning other guns.
Again, in the case of slippery slopes, you need to actually demonstrate that is a likely scenario. I argue that it is unlikely due to the flip flop nature of the house/senate/presidency, the strong conservative presence within the US, the legality of lobbying by gun supporters and the fact that the previous ban did not lead to anymore bans.

without those you can't confiscate guns which is why a registration is unconstitutional.
The act of confiscating guns is unconstitutional. Keeping a registry of gun owners and guns is not.

aka take it on faith.
No. This is scientific methodology. A hypothesis was made, data was gathered and a conclusion was formed. From that conclusion, refinements can be made. This is directed refinement, which is not faith.

lethality,
Which was clearly defined

potential for killing more
Which is self evident

assault weapon
Which was also defined and then iterated upon

how mere cosmetics make it more "lethal" or dangerous etc.  
Which I never argued for.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@n8nrgmi
the registration "Men could be fined if they reported to a muster without a well-maintained weapon in working condition."   it also added ammunition and accouterments.  Like anyone in the military if you show up without these things you are in big trouble.
But let's say we believe this slick lie in the link, when did registration stop and why?  hmmmm

I've had plenty of discussions about the 2nd, if you are really interested in reading I can try to find them for you, but I'm not interested in going over it all again.  Your arguments are nothing new and have been addressed by far more knowledgeable and smarter people than myself.

if any of that was true the Anti-gun Democrats would use those as reasons for bans, restrictions etc etc, and yet they don't because even they know it's b.s.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
you cherry picked mass murders otherwise you couldn't make an argument for bans or more gun control.

post #68 , #80 using a liberal biased source as well as 114 page study which was far more specific in analyzing the data then the 9 page one you tried to present.
The study you cling to is b.s. for all the reasons and sources I've already given.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
you cherry picked mass murders otherwise you couldn't make an argument for bans or more gun control.
On the contrary I think I could certainly make a case for more generalized gun control. However, if you notice, the title of this thread is labelled mass shootings. The earlier posts were discussions around mass shootings and the context has always been based around mass shootings. Just because you find it easier to attack my arguments by basing them around general gun murders doesn't make your argument form valid, because we were never discussing a ban related to general gun murders. You may as well argue in the context of polar bear attacks for the all the sense that it makes.

post #68 , #80 using a liberal biased source as well as 114 page study which was far more specific in analyzing the data then the 9 page one you tried to present.
The study you cling to is b.s. for all the reasons and sources I've already given.

"study, by the Jerry Lee Center of Criminology, University of Pennsylvania, found no significant evidence that either the assault weapons ban or the ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds had reduced gun murders."

General gun murders, not mass shooting events or mass shooting deaths. How does this relate to the study that I provided, that indicated average death rate per mass shooting incident had decreased?

"If we further break down the years both Mother Jones and the Washington Postuse, the statistics remain similar. From 1982 to 1994 (12 years), there were 19 shootings, an average of 1.5 shootings a year.
From September 1994 to September 2004—the duration of the Assault Weapons Ban—there were 15 mass shootings over 10 years; again, an average of 1.5 a year. "

Again, this does nothing to address the study that I provided, that indicated average death rate per mass shooting had decreased. Your source further notes that

"While some will point out that the ban did not reduce the number of shootings, on average, it is important to bear in mind that the ten-year period of the ban is a small sample size. There were five incidents in 1999 alone; the Columbine Massacre occurred in April 1999, and four other mass shooting incidents followed soon after. There is evidence that events like Columbine can inspire other mass shootings, so without Columbine and the following “copy-cat” events, the number of shooting incidents during the Assault Weapons Ban would have been significantly lower."

Finally your 114 page report was focused on the impact of gun markets and general gun violence. Again, this does nothing to contradict the study I provided.

In other-words, you have done nothing to discredit the study I provided. The studies and reports that you have provided do not contradict it. All conclusions from your studies and the one I provided are valid.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
On the contrary I think I could certainly make a case for more generalized gun control. However, if you notice, the title of this thread is labelled mass shootings. 
yes that's right, but you turned it into an assault weapons ban and only mass murders committed by them

Again, this does nothing to address the study that I provided, that indicated average death rate per mass shooting had decreased. Your source further notes that 

that is beyond absurd, these mass shootings are already anomalies, so how could anyone possibly predict how many people would have been killed if they didn't have an assault weapon, I mean are you serious?  they can time travel, travel different dimensions and say how many people would or would not be killed based on the weapon the shooter had?  wow talk about faith.

3. Blacksburg, Va.: April 16, 2007.  committed with hand guns but you want to brush that off an anomaly
6. Killeen, Texas: Oct. 16, 1991. again hand guns, another anomaly?
7. San Ysidro, Calif.: July 19, 1984.  hand guns again
8. Austin, Texas: Aug. 1, 1966.  non assault rifles
9. Edmond, Okla.: Aug. 20, 1986. hand guns again

so that's 5-5, hand guns are used in 75% of mass murders, assault rifles are used <0.5% in total murders

you act as if your 9 page study is gospel and yet the studies I have provided doesn't say what your's does.
I reposted those for my benefit

from your "study"
"CONCLUSION: Mass-shooting related homicides in the United States were reduced during the years of the federal assault weapons ban of 1994 to2004"
how do you predict were and when a mass shooting will occur and how many would be killed exactly?  Because that's some next level insight I want to know about.

reading the discussion should make the bias crystal clear

so many flaws, the number killed is a direct result of how long it took to stop the shooter, how many mass murders were stopped prematurely by law enforcement intervention or someone else with a gun?  no way to know.  Far too many variables and bias in that study to make much of anything about their "findings"
again tell me how they know how many less would have died with or without a ban, it's not possible.
when you have people grouped up in an enclosed place it doesn't matter what kind of semi auto you have, like the Orlando bar, when people are trapped it should be obvious that it doesn't matter, assault rifle or not, makes no difference, just like it didn't matter at Virginia Tech or the others in the top 10
now tell me how anyone could possibly know that if murderer x didn't have access to an assault rifle the end result still wouldn't have been similar, that might have changed their location or plan, but no one can say the results wouldn't still have been similar.

All this prognosticating in the study can't possibly account for the numerous variables, many of which are critical.  This biased study is a guess and you have to take it on faith.

how do you come up with an average death rate when all of these were unique and a lot of circumstances affected that rate, if the shooter is killed or stopped sooner than later, well can't make too much of those numbers can you.
How are the number killed a fault of the gun and not of law enforcement to stop them sooner?  that's how this game is played right?  If an armed guard encountered any of the murderers then the numbers probably wouldn't have been what they were which includes the ones committed by handguns.  This study is just fortune telling.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
yes that's right, but you turned it into an assault weapons ban and only mass murders committed by them
If you admit this, then why are you twittering on about general gun deaths?

that is beyond absurd, these mass shootings are already anomalies, so how could anyone possibly predict how many people would have been killed if they didn't have an assault weapon, I mean are you serious?  they can time travel, travel different dimensions and say how many people would or would not be killed based on the weapon the shooter had?  wow talk about faith.
Statistical analysis on the years without the gun ban and the years with the gun ban...

how do you predict were and when a mass shooting will occur and how many would be killed exactly?  Because that's some next level insight I want to know about.
You don't and that isn't what this study has done.

so many flaws, the number killed is a direct result of how long it took to stop the shooter, how many mass murders were stopped prematurely by law enforcement intervention or someone else with a gun?  no way to know.  Far too many variables and bias in that study to make much of anything about their "findings"
again tell me how they know how many less would have died with or without a ban, it's not possible.
when you have people grouped up in an enclosed place it doesn't matter what kind of semi auto you have, like the Orlando bar, when people are trapped it should be obvious that it doesn't matter, assault rifle or not, makes no difference, just like it didn't matter at Virginia Tech or the others in the top 10
now tell me how anyone could possibly know that if murderer x didn't have access to an assault rifle the end result still wouldn't have been similar, that might have changed their location or plan, but no one can say the results wouldn't still have been similar.

All this prognosticating in the study can't possibly account for the numerous variables, many of which are critical.  This biased study is a guess and you have to take it on faith.
how do you come up with an average death rate when all of these were unique and a lot of circumstances affected that rate, if the shooter is killed or stopped sooner than later, well can't make too much of those numbers can you.
How are the number killed a fault of the gun and not of law enforcement to stop them sooner?  that's how this game is played right?  If an armed guard encountered any of the murderers then the numbers probably wouldn't have been what they were which includes the ones committed by handguns.  This study is just fortune telling.
Averages take into account all variables. Neither I nor the study can be held responsible for your poor understanding of statistics
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
If you admit this, then why are you twittering on about general gun deaths?
you are the one changing to topic to fit your agenda which is banning assault weapons, since hand guns are used far more often in mass murders.  You selectively choose your stats to fit that narrative, by trying to focus on the number of people killed per incident.

there isn't enough data to make any real statistical inference, even you admitted how the data is lacking.  Your faith in the study doesn't allow you to see the obvious and their bias.

"Forty-four of these incidents met the strictest criteria for mass shootings (4 or more killed)"  that's from 1981-2017  37 year span. 1.19 of these mass shootings per year over that time span.  
37*365= 13505 days

repeat
date range 1982-2019  37 years
according to the ultra liberal Mother Jones, once you take out the shootings of 3 or less that left 94, you can d/l their excl from the website.
26 instances had semi auto rifles if you include the ones not specified it would be higher (doesn't matter if they were assault or not to me), most had handguns or other weapons in addition to the semi auto rifle, of those 26 instances 24 were classified as "assault rifles" there was at least 2 they didn't classify as such but I knew they should be so I included them in my numbers.  Based on their figures 5 of these instances the only weapon listed with an "assault rifle"

so about 25% of the mass shootings in the 37 years are with "assault rifles" (24) less than 1 per year.

from 1984 to the most recent I'm aware of, I liberally included the mention of assault rifle or assault weapon and the ones I knew should be included but were not, from the mother jones list, keeping only 4 or more deaths. 
from 1984-1993                        3 shootings   37 dead            12.3 average
from 1994-2004                        4 shootings   30 dead              7.5 average
from 2005-2015                       13 shootings  116 dead            8.9 average
from 2016-present                     7 shootings   195                   27.9 average   56 shootings if you take out Vegas and Orlando as anomalies 8.3 average

though the stats pre 84 aren't good what I did find for the previous 10 year span 83-73  was 3 shootings  33 dead  11 average

10 year spans since the ban was 10 years in case you were wondering.

the average has been consistent
I'm not aware that any of these murderers stopped after killing x number of people, but instead were stopped, often killed, so the numbers are a direct result of them being stopped within a given time period.  This is why no real conclusions can be made by what weapon was used.  If not stopped and given enough time these numbers could be dwarfed by a person with a knife or hammer.
so to say that study took into account these variables is patently false because it's not possible.

some years there were no mass murders that met the study or your criteria so to try and glean some kind of statistical data from such rare events is a joke.
to try and draw a statistical conclusion based on 'what if' is fortune telling at best or perfect scenario which isn't realistic.

the who,what,where and why to mass shootings no one really knows just like the factors that mitigate or fail to mitigate the outcomes, which no study can account for.  To try and claim the assault weapon ban did anything with certainty is plain wrong, it's inconclusive at best.

the only way to reduce the number of people killed at one time is to stop the murderer as soon as possible, pretty simple, pretty basic. 
And since all semi autos function the same way, have the same rate of fire an arbitrary assault weapon ban is meaningless.  Unless you'd like to try and show how the cosmetics that categorize them as assault weapons make such a big difference compared to their non cosmetic or featureless counter parts.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@n8nrgmi
The contiuned existent of weapons of mass destruction can only lead one final resultant.

It is just a question of time til humanity blows its brains out of existence.

Humans are basically babrbarians and weapons in the hands of barbarians, on whole, only goes in one direction.
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@mustardness
Our existence on earth is in a fallen state.  We are born into sin, but people are basically good and can choose a righteous path.  Though off topic, could you start a thread on weapons of mass destruction?  I wonder how other people think about the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, how they reconcile their existence, and how people such as yourself reason an approach to the issue.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
you are the one changing to topic to fit your agenda which is banning assault weapons, since hand guns are used far more often in mass murders.  You selectively choose your stats to fit that narrative, by trying to focus on the number of people killed per incident.
Nope. I'm pretty sure I've stayed on topic. Assault weapons used in mass shootings is on topic in terms of mass shootings, and I've consistently been on the topic of assault weapons. What isn't on topic is general gun deaths.

there isn't enough data to make any real statistical inference, even you admitted how the data is lacking.  Your faith in the study doesn't allow you to see the obvious and their bias.
There's a difference between statistical methodology and faith

the average has been consistent
Great, now add in the rest of the data and decide whether the value for the 1994-2004 is statistically significant.

I'm not aware that any of these murderers stopped after killing x number of people, but instead were stopped, often killed, so the numbers are a direct result of them being stopped within a given time period.  This is why no real conclusions can be made by what weapon was used.  If not stopped and given enough time these numbers could be dwarfed by a person with a knife or hammer.
so to say that study took into account these variables is patently false because it's not possible.
The number of wounded and killed reflect this variable. Which can then be averaged out.

some years there were no mass murders that met the study or your criteria so to try and glean some kind of statistical data from such rare events is a joke.
to try and draw a statistical conclusion based on 'what if' is fortune telling at best or perfect scenario which isn't realistic.
the who,what,where and why to mass shootings no one really knows just like the factors that mitigate or fail to mitigate the outcomes, which no study can account for.  To try and claim the assault weapon ban did anything with certainty is plain wrong, it's inconclusive at best.
Is there some sort of statistical theory that you can reference to support these views? Or is this "I think so, therefore it is so"?

the only way to reduce the number of people killed at one time is to stop the murderer as soon as possible, pretty simple, pretty basic.  
And since all semi autos function the same way, have the same rate of fire an arbitrary assault weapon ban is meaningless.  Unless you'd like to try and show how the cosmetics that categorize them as assault weapons make such a big difference compared to their non cosmetic or featureless counter parts.
These points have already been covered. We've already discussed that while the mechanism that fires bullets in semi-autos is likely to be the same, and hence a similar rate of fire all around, the features that surround this mechanism can vary quite widely. Which is why the gun instructor in your video gave out different values for each gun and not 10 for each category.

As for the cosmetics, I've already speculated that they probably weren't banned for the reasons you suggest
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
Great, now add in the rest of the data and decide whether the value for the 1994-2004 is statistically significant.
I tallied up the deaths, years, incidents for the assault weapons, nothing more to add, that's what your study was about.

The number of wounded and killed reflect this variable.
the number of wounded and killed is a direct result of how many bullets were fired, not the gun firing them.

Is there some sort of statistical theory that you can reference to support these views? 
the numbers are right there in black and white, not much else to say.

while the mechanism that fires bullets in semi-autos is likely to be the same, and hence a similar rate of fire all around, the features that surround this mechanism can vary quite widely.
ok such as?  I've suggested perhaps accused you of a semi-auto ban and not simply an assault weapons ban, but you don't know, won't find out or in any way articulate what makes an assault weapon more deadly, lethal whatever than it's featureless counterpart.  So you want to ban something that you really can't define, don't really know what it is or why it's different than things that function in the exact same manner.

show me some evidence that a pistol grip, barrel shroud etc makes a gun more deadly, lethal etc

even with the stats I gave they had other guns besides the assault weapon and most of these cases it's not clear or specific how many people were killed with which gun because in at least of some these, more than one weapon was used.  So the numbers I gave were skewed in your favor.

Mass shootings are rare, but rarer still are uses cases of AR-15s/AK-47s over other types of firearms.
sounds like outlier events, since they are <0.5% of gun murders
so why ban ak-47s?  they might have been used twice?  ever?  Is a featureless Ak-47 still an assault weapon or just a semi auto one?

The overall point is that AR-15's, not AK-47's, in conventional applications can be replaced by other firearms.
all semi auto function is the same, so this never made any sense, care to elaborate?

I do not care about outlier events. I care about the norm.
the norm for "mass shootings" are handguns.

Tell me how you or anyone could possibly know the number of mass shootings with an "assault rifle" wouldn't have gone down anyway w/o any ban at all?  The numbers fluctuate greatly when comparing certain years.
No you're right. There isn't a lot of data. However the best way to move forwards is to take these preliminary results and apply them to further laws and see what pops up and then study those results further. 

sounds like faith to me.

you arguing that assault weapons cannot kill people at a faster rate than weapons that aren't classed as assault weapons? Ultimately that's what I'm interested in and not the aesthetics.
yes, show me proof that I'm wrong.  Guns don't actually kill unless you club someone with it, but it really is the bullet isn't it.  So how do assault weapons kill at a "faster rate than weapons that aren't classed as assault weapons?"

let's take some steps back and have you define what makes an assault weapon an assault weapon, what features or functions that are unique to them.
then explain how these features unique to them or deserving of assault weapon classification makes them more deadly, lethal etc than those guns with out those features and or cosmetics.
I'm looking for some real specifics here so I know exactly what you are referring to because it seems easily to add in all semi autos.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I tallied up the deaths, years, incidents for the assault weapons, nothing more to add, that's what your study was about.
Of one of three data sources.. Apart from that, your calculation gave a 7.5 average which was lower than the other periods. How did you determine that this reduction was statistically insignificant?

the number of wounded and killed is a direct result of how many bullets were fired, not the gun firing them.
And the opportunity to fire x many bullets reflects this.. You're drifting off-topic even in the same conversation line.

the numbers are right there in black and white, not much else to say.
The numbers say that less deaths occurred in mass shooting events within the ban period. I'm asking you if your objections to those numbers have valid statistical reasoning behind them instead of "I don't think this is right, therefore it isn't right"

ok such as?  I've suggested perhaps accused you of a semi-auto ban and not simply an assault weapons ban, but you don't know, won't find out or in any way articulate what makes an assault weapon more deadly, lethal whatever than it's featureless counterpart.  So you want to ban something that you really can't define, don't really know what it is or why it's different than things that function in the exact same manner.
Well one example is that rifles are heavier than handguns. Which means there is less recoil. Less recoil means less time to re-position the gun to fire the next shot. Another example is that rifles have longer barrels, which increases accuracy and bullet velocity. Obviously the more accurate the shot, the more likely you hit your intended target and the more energy the bullet has, the more damage to the target. There are other more obvious things such as handguns being smaller and more easier to conceal. Which means there is less time to react in comparison to if an assault rifle were in plain view at all times.

show me some evidence that a pistol grip, barrel shroud etc makes a gun more deadly, lethal etc
I've never said that they did, and I do believe that I've explicitly said that they are unlikely to, nor was it the point that I made about them. Go back and read what I wrote, #198

even with the stats I gave they had other guns besides the assault weapon and most of these cases it's not clear or specific how many people were killed with which gun because in at least of some these, more than one weapon was used.  So the numbers I gave were skewed in your favor.
Was this not also the case with handguns?

so why ban ak-47s?  they might have been used twice?  ever?  Is a featureless Ak-47 still an assault weapon or just a semi auto one?
When you go back and look for quotes, you should also look at the context. The context in this case was that I was arguing that AR-15/AK-47s did not have a legitimate use case.

all semi auto function is the same, so this never made any sense, care to elaborate?
Again, context. In this context I was explaining what I thought the "Gotcha" was. That is, the use of AK-47 vs AR-15 in mass shootings.

Again, context. In this context, I was explaining that mass shooting events in countries with otherwise strict gun laws are outliers. However they would not be outliers for America, ergo they are the norm.

sounds like faith to me.
No, this is a case of applying preliminary data. Because it's reliant on data, it's not faith.

yes, show me proof that I'm wrong.  Guns don't actually kill unless you club someone with it, but it really is the bullet isn't it.  So how do assault weapons kill at a "faster rate than weapons that aren't classed as assault weapons?"
We've been over this. They typically fire at a greater rate than other gun mechanisms such as lever action or bolt action.

let's take some steps back and have you define what makes an assault weapon an assault weapon, what features or functions that are unique to them.
then explain how these features unique to them or deserving of assault weapon classification makes them more deadly, lethal etc than those guns with out those features and or cosmetics.
I'm looking for some real specifics here so I know exactly what you are referring to because it seems easily to add in all semi autos.
I believe we've gone full circle again. Here's a exercise for you. Why don't you compile all my replies on what I think should be banned and then answer your own question. And then come back with what still remains.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@dustryder
When you go back and look for quotes, you should also look at the context. The context in this case was that I was arguing that AR-15/AK-47s did not have a legitimate use case.
Briefly if you would like, could you please list what constitutes "legitimate use" of firearms?

Again, context. In this context I was explaining what I thought the "Gotcha" was. That is, the use of AK-47 vs AR-15 in mass shootings

Again, context. In this context, I was explaining that mass shooting events in countries with otherwise strict gun laws are outliers. However they would not be outliers for America, ergo they are the norm.
Are you saying that mass shootings are more common than acts against individuals within the United States of America?  
Would you please define what you consider to be a mass shooting?

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Snoopy
Briefly if you would like, could you please list what constitutes "legitimate use" of firearms?

As for what I personally think is legitimate, a use case such that the use case is unique to the tool and is demonstrably a realistic use case.

Are you saying that mass shootings are more common than acts against individuals within the United States of America?  
No. I was saying that despite other countries having both examples of mass shooting events and stringent gun control laws, such mass shooting events should be disregarded due to them being outlier events. In the united states however, mass shooting events occur frequently enough that they cannot be considered to be outlier events.

Would you please define what you consider to be a mass shooting?
An event involving multiple victims of firearm related violence
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
the variance from year to year and time spans doesn't make for any real comparison along with the rarity of it happening and all the mitigating things I have already mentions that affect those numbers.

And the opportunity to fire x many bullets reflects this.. You're drifting off-topic even in the same conversation line.
not at all, because now you acknowledge that a main factor are the bullets (x many) which shows the firearm is less important.

I'm asking you if your objections to those numbers have valid statistical reasoning behind them instead of "I don't think this is right, therefore it isn't right"
it's impossible to say the numbers in the study show what they claim for the reasons I've already given, the things that can't be accounted for, lack of dimensional and time travel.

Well one example is that rifles are heavier than handguns. Which means there is less recoil. Less recoil means less time to re-position the gun to fire the next shot. Another example is that rifles have longer barrels, which increases accuracy and bullet velocity.

this is partially true, recoil, well that would take pages to discuss, but it totally depends on the individual, however handguns for me at least are much easier to control than an ak-47, but that's a big can of worms to get into, many things affect recoil which is actually muzzle flip.  As far as accuracy and range, except for the Las Vegas shooting, the mass shooting have all been at close range which made that a non factor.  You can acquire a target much faster with a handgun in close range than a long gun.  Virginia tech, that monster used a .22 cal pistol, the smallest, least powerful one that I know, that can still be called a firearm.  That particular caliber has been used in a few other mass shootings. (little to no recoil fyi, same caliber used to shoot Ronald Reagan)

ok just wanted to confirm we were on the same page about pistol grips, barrel shrouds etc

Was this not also the case with handguns?
I included all assault weapons regardless if they had other weapons as well.

did not have a legitimate use case.
ok I'll ignore that since it's not relevant.

They typically fire at a greater rate than other gun mechanisms such as lever action or bolt action. 
I would call that a political answer lol, but I'll try to be more clear  So how do assault weapons kill at a "faster rate than weapons that aren't classed as assault weapons?" like other semi auto weapons which were not and are not classified as assault weapons because they lack the cosmetic features.  Or is it your position that all semi auto rifles should be considered assault weapons?

Why don't you compile all my replies on what I think should be banned and then answer your own question. And then come back with what still remains.

I've asked you and we talked about this being a semi auto ban rather than an assault weapon ban, you said it was just an assault weapon ban if I remember correctly.  so then we have to specifically define what an assault weapon is to you, what sets it apart from other semi auto guns. 

Now if you want to say yes you would ban all semi auto rifles then that would be that.  But as of yet you have not said that and indicated all semi auto rifles would not be affected by the ban.  If it's not a total semi auto ban I want to see where the lines are drawn.  I don't really expect straight answer and I recognized the political speak when I see it, giving a non committal or vague answers.  You selectively ignore the questions I pose to you that require a specific and or detailed answer, even ones that just require a yes or no.

I gave you a picture of an ar-15 and the ruger mini-14 ranch hand, one has been banned by the assault weapons ban, the other was not.  Would your version ban the ruger mini-14 ranch hand, why or why not.

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
the variance from year to year and time spans doesn't make for any real comparison along with the rarity of it happening
Why? What is your basis for making this statement. For example, if you were to claim that a study is unreliable due to sample size, it would be trivial to reference statistical documentation that states sample size must be at least x to be x reliable to prove your case.

all the mitigating things I have already mentions that affect those numbers.
We aren't examining the causes behind the numbers. We are examining what the average case is that is indicated by those numbers. And those numbers are a reflection of the totality of all the variables affecting any given mass shooting

not at all, because now you acknowledge that a main factor are the bullets (x many) which shows the firearm is less important.
How does acknowledging that the number of bullets shot also show that firearms are less important?

it's impossible to say the numbers in the study show what they claim for the reasons I've already given, the things that can't be accounted for, lack of dimensional and time travel.
In other-words you aren't using statistical knowledge. You are passing off personal intuition as if it's a credible argument.

I would call that a political answer lol, but I'll try to be more clear  So how do assault weapons kill at a "faster rate than weapons that aren't classed as assault weapons?" like other semi auto weapons which were not and are not classified as assault weapons because they lack the cosmetic features.  Or is it your position that all semi auto rifles should be considered assault weapons?
Well if you accept that differing non-cosmetic features on a gun can effect its performance, you must also accept that guns can be sorted by such features. For example, a bog standard handgun is likely to be less accurate, have more recoil and deliver bullets with less force than an assault weapon, despite both being semi-automatic. All these factors contribute to the ability to kill "at a faster rate".

I've asked you and we talked about this being a semi auto ban rather than an assault weapon ban, you said it was just an assault weapon ban if I remember correctly.  so then we have to specifically define what an assault weapon is to you, what sets it apart from other semi auto guns.  

Now if you want to say yes you would ban all semi auto rifles then that would be that.  But as of yet you have not said that and indicated all semi auto rifles would not be affected by the ban.  If it's not a total semi auto ban I want to see where the lines are drawn.  I don't really expect straight answer and I recognized the political speak when I see it, giving a non committal or vague answers.  You selectively ignore the questions I pose to you that require a specific and or detailed answer, even ones that just require a yes or no.
I specifically referenced the wikipedia definition of what an assault weapon was. Which does specify semi-automatic rifles with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip. You took issue with pistol grips, and I have have no problem with excluding those. Which just leaves at least semi-automatic rifles with a detachable magazine.

I gave you a picture of an ar-15 and the ruger mini-14 ranch hand, one has been banned by the assault weapons ban, the other was not.  Would your version ban the ruger mini-14 ranch hand, why or why not.
It would be banned. It is a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
standard handgun is likely to be less accurate, have more recoil and deliver bullets with less force than an assault weapon, despite both being semi-automatic.

you seem to ignore the mass murder done with a .22 caliber handgun, the smallest caliber, so that really isn't true in reality.  It's just a scare tactic.

Which just leaves at least semi-automatic rifles with a detachable magazine.
right so it's a semi auto rifle ban now an expanded version of the 1994 Clinton ban.

but again there is little practical difference between a semi auto rifle with a detachable magazine and a semi auto handgun with a detachable magazine.  But I believe you'd also ban or limit how many rounds a magazine could hold, you just never said what that number was, though I recall you thinking around 10.

standard handgun is likely to be less accurate, have more recoil and deliver bullets with less force than an assault weapon, despite both being semi-automatic. All these factors contribute to the ability to kill "at a faster rate".

I've addressed that and mass murders that have happened does seem to prove that true.  there is practically no recoil on a .22 then there's a variety of calibers in-between the 22 and a 380 which again has minimal recoil it's also call a 9mm short, then the 9mm which is the standard for which all other handgun rounds are compared.  Very easily managed which is why it's so popular, common and prevalent.  Because again if you could time travel remove the rifles you can't predict in the majority of those shootings they wouldn't have just used a handgun.
except for Las Vegas these happened at close range so whatever perceived accuracy difference you think there is, isn't relevant in those cases.

you should really look up ballistic tests on youtube so you can know what you are talking about, check them out for 10mm, 45, 357 magnum, 44 magnum there's others but that should be enough, those are all handgun rounds, then check out the .223  I don't think you'd have any preference with which one you'd rather be shot with or question the legality of any of them.  then look up the 9mm and you'll come to the same conclusion.
And once you do that you'll finally get to the point of banning all semi auto, which as I said way back is where you are headed but appear to not realize it yet.
you want to see some serious damage look up a 12 gauge shot gun slug.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@dustryder

As for what I personally think is legitimate, a use case such that the use case is unique to the tool and is demonstrably a realistic use case.
Is recreational activity, such as "plinking" and general target shooting, a legitimate use?
Is decoration and art a legitimate use?
Is teaching a minor firearm ethics and safety a legitimate use?
Is historical and educational application a legitimate use?
Is pest control a legitimate use?
Is hunting a legitimate use?
Is Self Defense a legitimate use?
Is Common Defense a legitimate use?
Is training and sport a legitimate use?

What does a realistic use case entail?  

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Snoopy
Most of those can be applied to the guns that would be on the ban list, but the term legitimate use is subjective so to the pro ban people only their definition matters
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
you seem to ignore the mass murder done with a .22 caliber handgun, the smallest caliber, so that really isn't true in reality.  It's just a scare tactic.
Don't try to strawman me please. I didn't say that handguns are less lethal than rifles, therefore they cannot be used to commit mass murders. I said that handguns are typically less lethal than rifles. None of what you said addresses this.

right so it's a semi auto rifle ban now an expanded version of the 1994 Clinton ban.
It's not a semi-auto rifle ban *now*. It's been at least a semi-auto rifle ban ever since you asked me for a definition of what an assault weapon was. Which occurred like 6 pages ago

but again there is little practical difference between a semi auto rifle with a detachable magazine and a semi auto handgun with a detachable magazine.  But I believe you'd also ban or limit how many rounds a magazine could hold, you just never said what that number was, though I recall you thinking around 10.
But there are practical differences as has been established

I've addressed that and mass murders that have happened does seem to prove that true.  there is practically no recoil on a .22 then there's a variety of calibers in-between the 22 and a 380 which again has minimal recoil it's also call a 9mm short, then the 9mm which is the standard for which all other handgun rounds are compared.  Very easily managed which is why it's so popular, common and prevalent.  Because again if you could time travel remove the rifles you can't predict in the majority of those shootings they wouldn't have just used a handgun.
except for Las Vegas these happened at close range so whatever perceived accuracy difference you think there is, isn't relevant in those cases.

you should really look up ballistic tests on youtube so you can know what you are talking about, check them out for 10mm, 45, 357 magnum, 44 magnum there's others but that should be enough, those are all handgun rounds, then check out the .223  I don't think you'd have any preference with which one you'd rather be shot with or question the legality of any of them.  then look up the 9mm and you'll come to the same conclusion.
And once you do that you'll finally get to the point of banning all semi auto, which as I said way back is where you are headed but appear to not realize it yet.
you want to see some serious damage look up a 12 gauge shot gun slug.
Saying "Here are a couple of cases where this is not the case" does not address the overall generalization. Hand guns typically have more recoil, are typically less accurate, and typically deliver less energy into a bullet. Saying "Oh, these ballistic tests look so bad, you wouldn't want to be shot by any off them" doesn't negate the physical properties of projectiles. Less energy over less area is less damage.

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Snoopy
Is recreational activity, such as "plinking" and general target shooting, a legitimate use?
Is decoration and art a legitimate use?
Is teaching a minor firearm ethics and safety a legitimate use?
Is historical and educational application a legitimate use?
Is pest control a legitimate use?
Is hunting a legitimate use?
Is Self Defense a legitimate use?
Is Common Defense a legitimate use?
Is training and sport a legitimate use?

What does a realistic use case entail?  
So in these scenarios, from my perspective you would need to think, what does a firearm accomplish that cannot be accomplished by an alternative?

For example, I would not consider decoration and art a legitimate use. There is absolutely no need to use a real firearm in decoration and art. An impotent replica would be entirely sufficient.

However, in this case of hunting, while other methods such as traps and bows have their place in hunting and in some cases there is overlap in functionality, a rifle proves superior in some respects which cannot be accomplished by an alternative.

As for a realistic use case, the example that has been used before was when I was arguing with Alec. In which he argued that AK-47's can be used to defend against multiple robbers.

In this case, he failed to demonstrate that the AK-47 can be realistically used in such a manner. One, because he failed to demonstrate the existence of these bands of robbers and as a consequence, failed to demonstrate that an AK-47 has ever been used in such a manner.

Or in otherwords, it's no good if I claim that a potato can be used to deflect lasers if I can't actually prove it.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
 I said that handguns are typically less lethal than rifles.
do you have proof or is that just opinion?

Less energy over less area is less damage.
But there are practical differences as has been established
all opinion and situational
pretty trivial based on the reality and ballistic testing, dead it dead whatever damage you think can be equated is irrelevant to that fact.  Being wounded has so many variables the #1 being location of the wound, there is no way to make any kind of statistical inference based on that because you can't predict who will be wounded and where.

modern designs have been and continue to address and kind of recoil/mussel flip, you are making way too much of it, again a trivial factor at best.  If those are the the strong arguments for bans, they are pretty weak.
Saying "Here are a couple of cases where this is not the case" does not address the overall generalization.
but isn't that what you've done by focusing on mass murders via rifle?  or not focusing on all gun murders?

I'm not following your logic for banning all semi auto rifles but not all semi auto handguns other than you think the key and notable differences is recoil and accuracy.  Are those the only defining factors?  Hand guns can be fitted with red dot, holographic sights, laser sights etc.  the post of the pistol brace (roni) would mitigate recoil for the feeble that couldn't handle it, which is why they are an uncommon oddity.  Probably plenty of diy things should anyone be so inclined,  What about ported barrels, the expulsion of the gases go up applying a downward force to compensate for the muzzle flip.  but again a trivial thing.

are you finally understanding why this is or would be a weapons ban vs what started out as an "assault weapons" ban?
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
do you have proof or is that just opinion?

Well one example is that rifles are heavier than handguns. Which means there is less recoil. Less recoil means less time to re-position the gun to fire the next shot. Another example is that rifles have longer barrels, which increases accuracy and bullet velocity. Obviously the more accurate the shot, the more likely you hit your intended target and the more energy the bullet has, the more damage to the target. There are other more obvious things such as handguns being smaller and more easier to conceal. Which means there is less time to react in comparison to if an assault rifle were in plain view at all times.

all opinion and situational
pretty trivial based on the reality and ballistic testing, dead it dead whatever damage you think can be equated is irrelevant to that fact. 
The physics of guns and projectiles are fairly well understood. If you wish to provide evidence that contradicts these basic scientific notions, I'm sure you would be able to collect a Nobel prize. Until then, however, science is not to be disregarded as "opinion".

Being wounded has so many variables the #1 being location of the wound, there is no way to make any kind of statistical inference based on that because you can't predict who will be wounded and where.
That's why averages were used.

modern designs have been and continue to address and kind of recoil/mussel flip, you are making way too much of it, again a trivial factor at best.  If those are the the strong arguments for bans, they are pretty weak.
To what extent have recoil and muzzel flip been addressed in modern design. To the extent that both can be completely eliminated in a handgun without any other tradeoffs?

but isn't that what you've done by focusing on mass murders via rifle?  or not focusing on all gun murders?
No. You've tried to disprove an entire argument by showing some small case and applying it to the whole. I have not applied the banning of assault weapons to gun murders as a whole.

I'm not following your logic for banning all semi auto rifles but not all semi auto handguns other than you think the key and notable differences is recoil and accuracy.  Are those the only defining factors?
I also gave out impact force of the bullet and conceal-ability. I'm sure there are other factors. But it's not necessary to discuss them if you can't deal with those other four in the first place.

Hand guns can be fitted with red dot, holographic sights, laser sights etc.  the post of the pistol brace (roni) would mitigate recoil for the feeble that couldn't handle it, which is why they are an uncommon oddity.  Probably plenty of diy things should anyone be so inclined,  What about ported barrels, the expulsion of the gases go up applying a downward force to compensate for the muzzle flip.  but again a trivial thing.

Sure. Think of most tame semi-automatic handgun you can think of. Then think of all the ways in which you could extend this gun to make it more lethal. Imagine those extensions are banned. The resulting gun, despite being a semi-automatic gun will not be banned.

are you finally understanding why this is or would be a weapons ban vs what started out as an "assault weapons" ban?
Not really. If you wished to be convincing you wouldn't drop so many arguments, use so many logical fallacies and actually provide scientific basis's for your points instead of hoping that your personal intuition is sufficient.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
The physics of guns and projectiles are fairly well understood. 
in the laboratory that's true, what I'm asking is any proof at all that it somehow translates to real event, real situation and real world statistical differences.
That's why averages were used.
really because more than the average of mass murders are by handguns, I find that a bit ironic.

To what extent have recoil and muzzel flip been addressed in modern design. To the extent that both can be completely eliminated in a handgun without any other tradeoffs?
since it's subjective and individualistic there's no way to measure or quantify it.  There are no trade offs in the improvements and ways they try to compensate mussel flip, which the vast majority of owners don't need or worry about, it's more of a cosmetic  or novelty which is why they aren't standard or has a large market.

Then think of all the ways in which you could extend this gun to make it more lethal.
and yet the hand gun or other mass murders didn't have any of these "extensions" whatever that means, because you've agreed cosmetics aren't relevant in this topic.  So far all semi auto rifles is in the ban, but I'm not aware of what you mean by "extensions"  Do you mean anything that allows someone to use it accurately?
Because that would seem, well, rather stupid.  If you are going to allow people to own guns having them be accurate is a safety feature as well as managing recoil or mussel flip.  If someone is hunting, target shooting, self defense situations, you want that person to be able to use that tool, aka gun in the best and safest way.  So you'd ban things that could allow that type of control over the gun?  Doesn't make any sense to me, I'll need you to explain it.
give me a list of "extensions" that increase lethal potential but doesn't affect safety to the lawful user.

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
in the laboratory that's true, what I'm asking is any proof at all that it somehow translates to real event, real situation and real world statistical differences.
Physics do not magically change once you translate it to practical applications. That's why bridges function instead of magically collapsing. Again, if you have evidence otherwise, you can submit it and collect your Nobel prize.

really because more than the average of mass murders are by handguns, I find that a bit ironic.
Amazing, but hardly addresses the point.

since it's subjective and individualistic there's no way to measure or quantify it.  There are no trade offs in the improvements and ways they try to compensate mussel flip, which the vast majority of owners don't need or worry about, it's more of a cosmetic  or novelty which is why they aren't standard or has a large market.
Well obviously it can be measured. I don't know why you keep talking out your ass. Have several groups of people separated into levels of experience. Have each of those groups fire a range of handguns. Measure the response time after each shot

and yet the hand gun or other mass murders didn't have any of these "extensions" whatever that means, because you've agreed cosmetics aren't relevant in this topic.  So far all semi auto rifles is in the ban, but I'm not aware of what you mean by "extensions"  Do you mean anything that allows someone to use it accurately?
I've seen the data and I know you're talking out of your ass when you're claiming that these mass murders didn't have any of these extensions. As for what I mean by extensions, literally everything that you mentioned in your previous post are extensions.

Because that would seem, well, rather stupid.  If you are going to allow people to own guns having them be accurate is a safety feature as well as managing recoil or mussel flip.  If someone is hunting, target shooting, self defense situations, you want that person to be able to use that tool, aka gun in the best and safest way.  So you'd ban things that could allow that type of control over the gun?  Doesn't make any sense to me, I'll need you to explain it.
give me a list of "extensions" that increase lethal potential but doesn't affect safety to the lawful user.
I'll need you to explain it to me first. Didn't you claim that those extensions are mostly trivial? How does banning them impact day-to-day use of those tools? If you were to ban laser sights for example, how does this make them unsafe?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
Physics do not magically change once you translate it to practical applications. That's why bridges function instead of magically collapsing. Again, if you have evidence otherwise, you can submit it and collect your Nobel prize.

so that's a no you can't prove that any specific gun type is more lethal when a person is shot in a vital place, ok, that's what I thought.

I've seen the data and I know you're talking out of your ass when you're claiming that these mass murders didn't have any of these extensions. As for what I mean by extensions, literally everything that you mentioned in your previous post are extensions.
you want to ban semi auto rifles, pistols by their very nature have pistol grips so it's not an "extension"  since you want to ban all semi auto rifles those cosmetics are irrelevant to any significant advantage to those guns with out them, you've said so yourself.
what extensions did the hand gun mass murders have used these ban worthy extensions, same question you didn't answer the first time.

in post #120
Which just leaves at least semi-automatic rifles with a detachable magazine.
which is why I asked for clarification on what you consider "extensions" since cosmetics made no difference.

You took issue with pistol grips, and I have have no problem with excluding those. 
if these aren't extensions aren't cosmetics then you need to explain what you are talking about

I'm not sure on the specifics on why features were or were not included in the original assault weapons ban. 
Since you are adamant that cosmetic features cannot contribute this, and I think that this is also likely the case, such features to me are ignorable. 
I'm trying to understand why you think semi auto rifles and semi auto handguns are so demonstrably different one should be banned and the other should not. 
lethality can't be quantifiably measured that I know of, and you haven't shown that it can be.
Please explain why one is less lethal than the other (rifle vs handgun) because for the reasons I've given there is very little difference other than very specific instances.
Show me statistical real evidence that if person x had been shot with a handgun they would have survived.
How does banning them impact day-to-day use of those tools? If you were to ban laser sights for example, how does this make them unsafe?
you equated accuracy to more deadly, therefore you'd need or want to make the gun less accurate or remove accurate guns, which seems pretty unsafe for me for those lawful citizens who would be using them don't you think?