TheDredPriateRoberts
people shooting hand guns for the first time

that is a beast of a gun btw

dam that dude is better than I am

keep you eye on the targets btw

dang, my skills suck

"in a short period of time I can become comfortable"

Grandmas Shoot Guns For The First Time

from the description and location of mass murders a large percentage take place at close range if not point blank range.

dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
so that's a no you can't prove that any specific gun type is more lethal when a person is shot in a vital place, ok, that's what I thought.
I claimed that differing gun types differ in lethality and proved so with physics. If your claim that this is not true, then you must provide evidence to show this. I do not accept your shifting of burden of proof.

you want to ban semi auto rifles, pistols by their very nature have pistol grips so it's not an "extension"  since you want to ban all semi auto rifles those cosmetics are irrelevant to any significant advantage to those guns with out them, you've said so yourself.
what extensions did the hand gun mass murders have used these ban worthy extensions, same question you didn't answer the first time.
I didn't claim that the hand gun mass murders used extensions. I denied your claim that they didn't use extensions. Again, if you make a claim, then you must provide evidence for that claim or retract that claim.

which is why I asked for clarification on what you consider "extensions" since cosmetics made no difference.
if these aren't extensions aren't cosmetics then you need to explain what you are talking about
Cosmetics are gun extensions that have no effect on the actual use and effectiveness on the gun. As far as I understand it, pistol grips are cosmetic. A laser sight allows the gun to be shot more accurately with a specific reference point as a target. So this is a non-cosmetic extension

I'm trying to understand why you think semi auto rifles and semi auto handguns are so demonstrably different one should be banned and the other should not.  
lethality can't be quantifiably measured that I know of, and you haven't shown that it can be.
Please explain why one is less lethal than the other (rifle vs handgun) because for the reasons I've given there is very little difference other than very specific instances.
Show me statistical real evidence that if person x had been shot with a handgun they would have survived.

you equated accuracy to more deadly, therefore you'd need or want to make the gun less accurate or remove accurate guns, which seems pretty unsafe for me for those lawful citizens who would be using them don't you think?
Making the gun less accurate is not equivalent to removing extensions that allow the gun to be more accuracy. Don't confuse the two issues. As for being unsafe, if you think the degree to which the accuracy is changed makes it unsafe, argue by providing evidence for it.
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
I claimed that differing gun types differ in lethality and proved so with physics. If your claim that this is not true, then you must provide evidence to show this. I do not accept your shifting of burden of proof.
the fact that people have been killed with almost every caliber doesn't prove they are lethal?  again more legal isn't a real thing, can't be proved in the real world, a shot in the heart, dead, shot to the head dead, sure some "survive" so to speak but those are very rare and usually have permanent damage.
so this difference you claim just isn't a real thing, maybe in video games or on paper but not in these real situations.

sorry but those links...well, are yet again subjective and biased for not including important details

Routine handgun injuries leave entry and exit wounds and linear tracks through the victim’s body that are roughly the size of the bullet.
that's probably because he was using a target round and not a hollow point, they were lucky in is ignorance.  Again check the ballistics difference between a round nose and hollow point bullet, caliber doesn't matter you'll get the point.
ar bullet going straight through

comparison of 3 bullet types from a 223 ar -15 round

2nd link

“This is not really a property of the rifle itself. It’s a property of the ammunition. 
so like I said, not the gun but the bullet, thanks for that LOL
if you are going to hunt large animals you need more muzzle energy which is mostly a function of the bullet.
while you need that to kill a bear or elephant that's not required for something smaller like a person which is why the whole lethality is bs. in real world situations.
so you are technically correct which doesn't matter because we aren't talking about large animals and what is on paper.

The FBI and police departments generally carry 9mm hand guns, don't you wonder why?  Do you believe they just shoot to wound like on tv?  This choice was done from ballistic studies the FBI has conducted to reach this conclusion.  So either they don't know what they are talking about or it's a very effective round.  sure you could go bigger but why?  You can hunt a rodents with an ak-47 but generally you don't because you don't need to.

so selective banning of semi auto rifles and not semi auto handguns just isn't logical.

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
the fact that people have been killed with almost every caliber doesn't prove they are lethal?  again more legal isn't a real thing, can't be proved in the real world, a shot in the heart, dead, shot to the head dead, sure some "survive" so to speak but those are very rare and usually have permanent damage.
so this difference you claim just isn't a real thing, maybe in video games or on paper but not in these real situations.
This is called cherry picking. You have focused on a subset of shots that are typically lethal regardless of gun or caliber. However you have ignored the vast majority of cases in which the shot are not the head or heart. In which case the type of gun shooting makes a difference.

sorry but those links...well, are yet again subjective and biased for not including important details
Which details? How does this make the sources biased and subjective?

that's probably because he was using a target round and not a hollow point, they were lucky in is ignorance. 
I think you're missing the point of the article. It's comparing a typical bullet wound caused by a handgun to a bullet wound caused by an AR-15. Could you make a bullet wound caused by a hand gun be more deadly? Sure. You yourself suggested a hollowpoint. I could suggest coating the bullet with something that is biologically corrosive. However regardless, when shot by an AR-15, the bullet is more deadly.

so like I said, not the gun but the bullet, thanks for that LOL
"Here's a quote that somewhat supports my view. I'm going to ignore all the other evidence and cherry pick this one"

if you are going to hunt large animals you need more muzzle energy which is mostly a function of the bullet.
while you need that to kill a bear or elephant that's not required for something smaller like a person which is why the whole lethality is bs. in real world situations.
so you are technically correct which doesn't matter because we aren't talking about large animals and what is on paper.
The sources I listed before make no mention of large animals. They mention cavitation as a property of higher-velocity bullets shot by rifles as compared to handguns which causes shockwaves which cause partial or complete disintegration of organs. 

Now, unless your argument is that having a hole through your organ is just as serious as having the organ being disintegrated, the lethality of each firearm in this situation is obviously different.

The FBI and police departments generally carry 9mm hand guns, don't you wonder why?  Do you believe they just shoot to wound like on tv?  This choice was done from ballistic studies the FBI has conducted to reach this conclusion.  So either they don't know what they are talking about or it's a very effective round.  sure you could go bigger but why?  You can hunt a rodents with an ak-47 but generally you don't because you don't need to.
Not sure what your point here is.

so selective banning of semi auto rifles and not semi auto handguns just isn't logical.
Agreed. However if you scroll back a couple of pages, you will remember that my ban also includes some handguns.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
I'm sorry but I actually don't recall anything specific about handguns that would be banned.  I'll look and post tomorrow, trying to do it on the phone is too cumbersome. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
you aren't understanding the realities of the ballistic tests for yourself and just having faith in what you read because you agree with it.
The ballistic cavity formed from rifles is pretty shocking, but if you consider that handgun rounds, while maybe not as shocking is still more than efficient to achieve the desired effects.  In other words what they are describing is "overkill" which is why they are used on large animals while smaller ones are not.  This is why I say dead is dead.  Just because the trauma may look worse the end result makes that irrelevant.  On the rare chance that the rifle bullet is the deciding factor that is a rarity which you aren't interested in by your words about other anomalies or rarities.
Whatever difference you seem to think there is, is minor at best.  

non hollow points tend to go straight through people, including rifle rounds.  Hollow points on the other hand is what makes the large wound cavities including handgun rounds which is evident by the ballistic tests.
this is why I find little difference between the effectiveness of rifles and handgun in actual outcomes.  
it is a direct result of bullet type and number used, everything else is minor.
so if you want to ban semi auto rifles, you should also want to ban semi auto hand guns for the very same reasons.

do hollow points have more potential to be lethal?  I would say yes
do the more bullets fired have an increased chance to kill, obviously yes.

does that expand what you want to ban now?  doesn't seem very logical if it doesn't based on what you have previously said, wound cavities and all.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
you aren't understanding the realities of the ballistic tests for yourself and just having faith in what you read because you agree with it.
The ballistic cavity formed from rifles is pretty shocking, but if you consider that handgun rounds, while maybe not as shocking is still more than efficient to achieve the desired effects.  In other words what they are describing is "overkill" which is why they are used on large animals while smaller ones are not.  This is why I say dead is dead.  Just because the trauma may look worse the end result makes that irrelevant.  On the rare chance that the rifle bullet is the deciding factor that is a rarity which you aren't interested in by your words about other anomalies or rarities.
Whatever difference you seem to think there is, is minor at best.  
I accept what I read because it is scientifically sound or because it comes from a credible source. It has data to support it, and conclusions drawn from that data. What you are telling me is to accept your view, without any factual evidence or credible expert testimony and to just take your word on it. 

How is this different from vaccine/climate change/spherical world denialism?

non hollow points tend to go straight through people, including rifle rounds.  Hollow points on the other hand is what makes the large wound cavities including handgun rounds which is evident by the ballistic tests.
this is why I find little difference between the effectiveness of rifles and handgun in actual outcomes.  
it is a direct result of bullet type and number used, everything else is minor.
so if you want to ban semi auto rifles, you should also want to ban semi auto hand guns for the very same reasons.
Agreed. Hollow point bullets tend to inflict more damage. However you have not shown the gun component is "minor". A hollow point bullet shot a rifle is likely to be more damaging than a hollow point bullet shot from a handgun.

does that expand what you want to ban now?  doesn't seem very logical if it doesn't based on what you have previously said, wound cavities and all.
Not really no.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
Agreed. Hollow point bullets tend to inflict more damage. However you have not shown the gun component is "minor". A hollow point bullet shot a rifle is likely to be more damaging than a hollow point bullet shot from a handgun. 

as ballistics show the non hollow point rifle round tends to pass through and not expand or cause a wound cavity as a hollow point, therefore handgun hollow point would have the potential to cause a significantly larger temporary wound cavity than the .223 (which is very small in comparison) that would pass straight through.  hollow point bullets of 9mm and above cause wound cavities all of which are deadly.  The variables to bullet expansion include but are limited to shot location, bullet type and even manufacturer.

so the ban last I believe includes

all semi auto rifles with detachable magazines (does this include the smaller calibers like .22 and handgun calibers that happen to be in rifle form?)

if a rifle does not have a detachable magazine but still fires the .223 round either in pump, lever or bolt action would those be approved?

If a semi auto handgun with a detachable magazine is designed to fire the .223 round  but has a 9 inch barrel would those be approved?
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Snoopy
very handy, thanks, check out the 44 mag about half the speed but 10x the bullet weight, until you get the shorter barrels then their speed is as little as 200 fps.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
as ballistics show the non hollow point rifle round tends to pass through and not expand or cause a wound cavity as a hollow point, therefore handgun hollow point would have the potential to cause a significantly larger temporary wound cavity than the .223 (which is very small in comparison) that would pass straight through.  hollow point bullets of 9mm and above cause wound cavities all of which are deadly.  The variables to bullet expansion include but are limited to shot location, bullet type and even manufacturer.
This does not address my point. 

all semi auto rifles with detachable magazines (does this include the smaller calibers like .22 and handgun calibers that happen to be in rifle form?
if a rifle does not have a detachable magazine but still fires the .223 round either in pump, lever or bolt action would those be approved
You've answered your own questions here

If a semi auto handgun with a detachable magazine is designed to fire the .223 round  but has a 9 inch barrel would those be approved?
Yes.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
all semi auto rifles with detachable magazines (does this include the smaller calibers like .22 and handgun calibers that happen to be in rifle form?
if a rifle does not have a detachable magazine but still fires the .223 round either in pump, lever or bolt action would those be approved
You've answered your own questions here

why would you ban a .22 semi auto rifle but not all the handgun calibers 380 and higher, which are much more powerful?

Yes. 
ok so it's a barrel length thing then, which must be 16" or longer.  Anything shorter than 16" is a short barrel rifle which requires additional paperwork etc to own/possess.  Unless it's classified,sold or built as a pistol which has a brace instead of a stock, brace makes it a pistol, stock a short barrel rifle.

an ar pistol isn't banned but a 9mm rifle that looks like an ar would be.  you may want to rethink this.

Troy Pump Action AR-15
Published on Dec 9, 2014

yay or nay?

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
why would you ban a .22 semi auto rifle but not all the handgun calibers 380 and higher, which are much more powerful?
Well, how much more powerful are they?

an ar pistol isn't banned but a 9mm rifle that looks like an ar would be.  you may want to rethink this.
Why?

Troy Pump Action AR-15

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@dustryder
The 22 Long Rifle and 22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum are both rimfire cartridges.  Because their primer compound is placed in the hollow rim of the disposable brass casing, which subsequently must be dented (and structurally compromised) by the firing pin to set off the cartridge, rimfire rounds are generally not practical for high power application, and would typically be used in economical applications which a chamber pressure not exceeding 26,000 PSI.  Though perhaps the most powerful cartridge of this variety, the 17 Winchester Super Magnum is still available, exceeding to an estimated 33,000 PSI and capable of over 500 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle, I personally have never seen one.  Noted by Wikipedia, this came about in part because it could be utilized from an existing nailgun cartridge.  Historically, rimfire cartridges were once available in .44 and .32 caliber as well as some others I'm sure.  Because the primer compound which sets off the charge is not placed in a specialized piece which is then loaded into the shell, people who use rimfire cartridges are generally subject to manufacturing tolerances and market availability.  For application in semi-automatic firearms, premium ammunition is particularly desirable.

The most common rimfire cartridges in my region, the 22lr and the 22wmr, are available at almost any ammunition outlet in America, both of which are originally intended for rifles, but often used in handguns.  The 22 Short is the same as a 22lr with a shorter casing, both of these being the most economical of all cartridges in America, and perhaps the last surviving rounds with a heeled bullet design.  The 17HMR is a necked down 22wmr for higher velocity with slightly less energy.

Welcome to Ballistics By The Inch, or 'BBTI' as people have taken to calling it.
Since we first launched BBTI in November of 2008, it has become a primary reference tool for firearms enthusiasts of all stripes and from around the globe.  Our initial research data covered the relationship between barrel length and velocity for some 13 common handgun calibers/cartridges.  In response to the phenomenal popularity of the site, we’ve continued to do testing, and have expanded the data to include an additional 8 handgun calibers/cartridges (and a repeat of the .380 Auto tests with additional ammunition) as well as the .223 rifle cartridge.  We’ve also conducted a major study of the 'cylinder gap effect' on a revolver, involving more than 6,000 rounds fired, as well as a comparison of the performance differences between polygonal and traditionally rifled barrels.  As always, all of our data is freely available, though we happily accept donations (see button below left)and would greatly appreciate your tangible support to help us continue the project.

Snoopy
Snoopy
*Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
as snoopy posted

is a pretty good reference since the links and discussion at one time or another has been about power or force, is there some foot pounds of force limit all guns would have to have or be under for the ban?

saw a video comparing a 30-30 to an ar-15, ar much longer range, 30-30 much bigger bullet, I think the speed was not all that different either, then if you look at a .357 magnum fired from a rifle.....

Snoopy
Snoopy
The .223 is an intermediate round.  It is soft shooting and economical with a flat trajectory, and the power of a magnum handgun cartridge.  Its a fine choice for a first rifle, though typically a "22" would make more sense if the cheaper ammo is conducive to practice, and its nice to shoot subsonic at shorter ranges.  I have heard people claim from experience that the .222 from which it is conceptually derived is a superior chambering within its limitations.  Less overkill on small varmints with full powder charges, better accuracy (splitting hairs though), longer barrel life.  Neither can be universally recommended for medium game larger than 100 lbs.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
is a pretty good reference since the links and discussion at one time or another has been about power or force, is there some foot pounds of force limit all guns would have to have or be under for the ban?
Not really. Force was a convenient topic when you were still denying the differences between handguns and rifles, but now that we've established that rifles are typically more lethal than handguns we can move on.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@dustryder
It is commonly known to be atypical for rifles prove "more lethal" than handguns in the United States on whole, but I do not have access to the state by state or other demographic data to delve deeper.  Perhaps the majority of firearm related casualties differ from a piece of gelatin sentenced to the firing squad

Snoopy
Snoopy
  Indisputably, a 22 caliber handgun in the hands of an assassin poses a greater threat to one's livelihood than a 12 gauge in the back seat of Bubba's truck.  

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
but now that we've established that rifles are typically more lethal than handguns we can move on.
but you aren't banning all rifles right?  just semi autos with detachable magazines, yes?
you aren't banning the round or placing a restriction of foot pounds etc so the only attributes left are semi auto with detachable magazines, correct?
You've already see the pump ar-15 look a like, do you think someone would make that pump action much easier and short so it could fire faster?  I sure think so.

if you look at the ballistics, again .380, 9mm etc handgun rounds also come in rifle form and depending on the round still don't compare to a .223 handgun, 357 magnum, 30-30 etc all more than sufficient to do what they are designed when you look at their wound cavities.

From what I have actually seen the bullet type is the major factor i.e. hollow point, though if you look at ballistics from Lehi Defense (sp) they are even more impressive to which others will improve even more on their designs.  At one time police carried 45 acp handguns, then 40 and now 9mm, some of the reasons are the advancements in ammunition and hand guns themselves.  The Hudson handgun, while it didn't ever take off, their innovative way of thinking and design will probably be copied and improved to a point they will all but negate any muzzle flip issues.   Just something to think about.

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
In reference to target acquisition, I doubt that the average person has the training to gain a significant advantage between a manually actuated design and an automatically actuated design.  In a defensive situation, whatever the person can actually manage to operate proficiently would be preferable.  For some people, this means not having to cycle the action under stress. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Snoopy
that goes without saying, people poach deer with .22 and I believe the Israel army or police used or still use .22, though I don't recall the specifics.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
In terms of human casualties the evidence is supportive of the idea that people are often not following ethical guidelines.  I think its safe to say that we have some additional "variables" to account in understanding a relationship in what is considered more or less lethal besides the payload.  The amount of energy is not necessarily the same as something that could be quantifiably estimated as "stopping power" (Seizing an act within a given timeframe) which is not yet demonstrated to correlate with lethality in the real world anyway, let alone theorizing a relationship and drawing conclusions.

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
@Snoopy
It is commonly known to be atypical for rifles prove "more lethal" than handguns in the United States on whole, but I do not have access to the state by state or other demographic data to delve deeper.  Perhaps the majority of firearm related casualties differ from a piece of gelatin sentenced to the firing squad
Commonly known by whom? Surely this common knowledge would result in actual evidence.

but you aren't banning all rifles right?  just semi autos with detachable magazines, yes?
you aren't banning the round or placing a restriction of foot pounds etc so the only attributes left are semi auto with detachable magazines, correct?
You've already see the pump ar-15 look a like, do you think someone would make that pump action much easier and short so it could fire faster?  I sure think so.
Thinking so isn't knowing so. I don't know the mechanism behind a pump action, and I certainly don't know what trade-offs would have to be made to make it fire faster. On the other-hand, you don't seem to know this either. For someone who professes to find comfort in arguments based in reality, this seems like an odd departure from that reality.

if you look at the ballistics, again .380, 9mm etc handgun rounds also come in rifle form and depending on the round still don't compare to a .223 handgun, 357 magnum, 30-30 etc all more than sufficient to do what they are designed when you look at their wound cavities.
Cherry picking examples of hand guns that out perform rifles does nothing to counter the idea that a bullet, when shot by both a handgun and a rifle have more energy when shot by a rifle.

From what I have actually seen the bullet type is the major factor i.e. hollow point
Seen from where?
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@dustryder
It is commonly known to be atypical for rifles to prove "more lethal" than handguns in the United States on whole, but I do not have access to the state by state or other demographic data to delve deeper.  Perhaps the majority of firearm related casualties differ from a piece of gelatin sentenced to the firing squad
Commonly known by whom? Surely this common knowledge would result in actual evidence.
FBI Stats
Approximate Graph

I do not believe that the common knowledge of past actions needs to result in additional evidence.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Snoopy
My understanding of your wording was that you were claiming that it is commonly known that rifles aren't more lethal than handguns (in the united states).

Your evidence shows that handguns are responsible for more deaths, however the conclusion that rifles aren't more lethal than handguns does not follow.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@dustryder
atypical for rifles to prove "more lethal"

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Snoopy
I have no idea what you're trying to say

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@dustryder
and rifles, but now that we've established that rifles are typically more lethal than handguns we can move on.
It is commonly known to be atypical for rifles to prove "more lethal" than handguns in the United States on whole,