I Need Your Honest Opinion

Author: Vader

Total: 37
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
I am currently working on a TV series where it describes the teenage life and all it's stupid shit and a lot of it's shit in a funny comedy.

Should I continue to pursue this and post some of my scripts on DART, or should I give up on it?

I would like your advice

Thanks,
SupaDudz
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Vader
If you are good at something. Make money off it.

Basically if you think you are really good sell your script or use it to advance your career as a writer.

Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Vader
Don’t post them on dart or anywhere online. You open yourself up to a whole host of legal related issues, and it’s a pretty good chance it will never go anywhere - even if what you write is awesome.

If it’s a weird or esoteric comedy, you have to be an exceptionally good writer for it to go anywhere and more work than you can fathom unless you ligerally luck out with open submission.  If it’s a middle of the road fox comedy, or Nickelodeon canned laughter and it’s kinda funny - it may help you as part of a portfolio to get a job writing - but that’s still hard.

My knowledge is more novel related, but I’ve written a few scripts before - years back - they’re easier to write than novels, but much harder to sell to an agent or a production house - and you’re much more likely to be using them to get a job writing for another show. But I will tell you now, the process of writing, and laughing to yourself reading your own work is the only fun part about it - and as an exercise in time wasting - it’s totally worth doing.

Vader
Vader
-->
@Ramshutu
I always love writing and creating my own scripts. It has always been a passion of mine to something along those lines
Vader
Vader
-->
@Ramshutu
What scripts have you written?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Vader
I would highly recommend writing scripts, worst case you feel better. Even if you decide not to show it to anyone, I always found writing pretty cathartic. It’s useful as a project and it is possible, if you’re good, to make a living at it. I would definitely keep at it - but would only share you work with people you trust. Just make sure that if there’s anything you’d super proud of, print it - mail it to yourself and keep the unopened envelope, I’ve heard some horror stories.

I’ve written a few scripts - none for a few years, all comedy only ever in the UK - and this was about 10 years ago.

Vader
Vader
-->
@Ramshutu
 all comedy only ever in the UK - and this was about 10 years ago.
Did your work get published in the UK?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Vader
In terms of scripts - yes, but not directly, and not for a long time, and not for a meaningful duration. I’ll state right now, that I’m not famous, you won’t have heard of me, I highly doubt you’ve seen or read anything I’ve done though it’s possibke - and it’s not my main profession. 

I would consider myself a fairly avid writer, and have some experience going through a similar writing process when I was much younger, and thought I’d share a bit of what would have helped me. I was always a novel writing type of guy - so my first advice would always be to write a novel.
Vader
Vader
-->
@Ramshutu
im planning writing a novel too when I find time to do so. For now I am working on scripts
Vader
Vader
-->
@Ramshutu
some day i would i like to see what you have written

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Vader
Kinda hard right now - the only stuff that wouldn’t dox myself is the other side of the Atlantic.

I could always improv it. Give me a random Dart user, a location and a situation :P

Vader
Vader
-->
@Ramshutu
Sure

RM and Bsh1 in a car and Lil Pump comes on the radio
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
Why the fuck Lil Pump how dare you even suggest I would not turn the radio off.
Vader
Vader
Its a humor sketch lol
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Vader
Why on the radio and not RMs back?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
If you made that comment about a female member with a straight male mod, people wouldn't be laughing, that is direct abuse.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@RationalMadman
I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t have a sense of humour and isn’t capable of laughing at themselves.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
You shouldn't trust me, grudge-voting snide-remark-making enemy of mine.
Vader
Vader
Everyone is an enemy to you
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I have 37 on-site friends officially and would say almost all of them are not my enemies on this website.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@RationalMadman
You shouldn't trust me, grudge-voting snide-remark-making enemy of mine.
Given that I’ve now issued challenge number 3 for you to debate on the resolution that I am unfairly voting against you, and you appear to have chickened out on debating me on it twice - and likely will for a third time - I’ll just assume that as you’re all mouth and no trousers, you know that these little angry accusations are out of bitterness and stingy, salty internet tears.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
Debating is about painting the truth based on blatant evidence, not about reaching the actual truth or remotely considering 'clues'. Until you realise the difference between debating as a sport and reasoning to find truth, you'll simply remain confused about the truth (or alternatively will become a worse debater).
Vader
Vader
Ok then Mr. "Love and Caring"
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@RationalMadman
Debate is about using facts together with arguments to prove a point.

If you’re not brave enough to debate a topic, you either do not have enough facts, or you don’t have a good enough argument.

If you don’t have a good enough argument, or good enough facts - you shouldn’t make accusations.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
Facts don't mean anything if up against widely respected lies in formal debating. I know this because I know that even though I believe certain things, there's debates where I will always want the opposite side to what I believe/know as the other side has the widely respected sources and beliefs.

I know for a fact that if I did agree with the user 'somebody' on viruses not existing that I always would have accepted that debate as Con and won anyway without any shame. 

Your current resolution says 'RN' and I cannot prove a grudge, I can only prove blatant flaws in the RFD's that still enable them to pass as valid on the CoC filtering of 'bad votes'. The grudge is a conclusion based on inference of 'facts' not of widely respected conclusions from the widely respected facts.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@RationalMadman
If you have the facts on your side and logic on your side - if you’re a reasonable debater - you cannot lose a debate.

If you’re worried you will lose the debate, then you’re missing one of those things.

If you don’t have the balls  to prove your accusations in debate form - you really shouldn’t be making the claims.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
Lol! Everyone who ever lost a debate that wasn't lost by Kritiks, had facts logic and was reasonable to some degree in some way. Do you think if two good debaters face each other (even the best 2 in the world) it will be a tie? No. Debating is rigged if both sides play it right, that is something I solved and use to climb the ranks here although sometimes the correct side has lost even though I played it right due to errors in voter's brains and toxic motives behind the votes as well as obviously troll debates exposing all kinds of votes to occur and also due to a couple of times me genuinely being on the 'wrong side' and miscalculating angles simply due to lack of in-depth research on the topic being countered by opponents who had deep knowledge and very reliable studies for the opposing side that are not mainstream and things I hadn't come across before.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
Oh my lord, are you saying the entire world who doesn't use debate websites shouldn't make claims because they won't have a 1v1 debate on DebateArt.com?

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
Just so you know, you only challenged me once with the resolution written remotely correct and even that wasn't grudge voting. Each forced me to be Pro, not you and the second time you're referring to was literally just earlier today and you deleted it the moment you created it.

A 'dishonest voter' is a hilarious thing where I didn't know how many angles to take. Dishonest voting requires you to lie actively, as opposed to omit things in the debate in your RFD or twist the truth via saying somethign subjectively failed to impress, which you do most of all on troll debates of mine. "Dishonest voter" means if you have lied even once I can say you are both dishonest and a voter, I even could say you vote in real life and get to lie about who you voted, or even say you didn't vote due to poll privacy.

I didn't fancy trolling like that as the 'voters' wouldn't necessarily like it and you could turn it back on me proving you're honest in some ways and that you vote making the debate moot.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@RationalMadman
Firstly, if the two best debaters in the world went head to head - if one had the facts on his side, they would win. 

Great care is used when selecting debate topics in formal debates such that the facts and logic aren’t on any one side or the other.

So yeah: If you have the facts and logic on your side, and you’re a good debater it’s very hard to lose a debate unless, of course, the judge takes this into account.

Now, while I love the straw man: no I’m not saying everyone in the world has to join this website and debate claims: I’m saying that if you make malicious claims about someone, you should have to stand by those claims - and be willing stake your own reputation on the veracity of those claims if challenged. Here, the only way of doing that is to risk your ELO by engaging in a debate.

Just so you’re aware, the technical term for someone who make a series of accusations, and then hides in an arena where they can’t be held accountable for them: is called “a pussy”.

Now, you’ve repeatedly made these claims - I’ve channeled you 3 times: the first debate, one of your accusations: you wouldn’t defend. The second was up for nearly two days (it had 3 hours remaining - when I created the third), the third one you've refused to accept in PM (which was then deleted)- and now a fourth attempt.

At this point, I’m more than happy to accept your applogy that you cannot jusify any of the accusations that you’ve made.