Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 172
DBlaze
Debates: 0
DBlaze
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Omar,
My apologies, and I meant to put in my post that I did not mean for that to be an insult.    I guess that is hard to make clear when it does sound like one, but my tone is quite different than what you might expect. You are just young, like many of the people that have your beliefs, who grew up with internet access their whole lives. I was not on the debate team in high school, nor is arguing my favorite thing to do.  I came on this website to get others opinions on what our country and the world is headed for, but I can also tell that you are not from the United States by how you spell certain words. 

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but the real thing is worth a lot more.  I have seen monuments in person, I have seen historical things that were built hundreds of years ago that have major significance relating to the past.  Just seeing pictures, and reading books, don't do them justice.  

It can go either way on statues and monuments, you can read a book, or see a picture of a monument, then want to go see it in person... or you can see it in person, then want to go read about it.  I don't know why you are arguing that fact with me.  I'm not saying everyone does that, it just makes more of an impact seeing a huge statue in person than taking a picture and tearing it down.  This is opinion and not really something that can be debated.  You have given no supporting evidence that monuments do not create interest, because there isn't any.  It is an opinion.

We disagree on the importance of historical monuments, it is as simple as that.  Age is probably one of the reasons we disagree. 
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@DBlaze
You are just young, like many of the people that have your beliefs, who grew up with internet access their whole lives.
Even with this in mind. I will still hold these views in the future. Reason is because I have a standard which is required for me to change my mind. It require a good enough claim, evidence and explanation in order for me to change my mind. Since I have enough knowledge I can safely say I would never be a right-winger.
Just seeing pictures, and reading books, don't do them justice.  
Problem is that it does them even more justice. A book can tell information that a monument can't. The monument is restricted to a statue and they have less words that can be used on the statue. With a book it can give so much more information because it can say more.
It can go either way on statues and monuments, you can read a book, or see a picture of a monument, then want to go see it in person... or you can see it in person, then want to go read about it.  I don't know why you are arguing that fact with me. 
My argument is that A is better than B so B can be destroyed because we have A. Books are more important than monuments so I don't care about them.
 it just makes more of an impact seeing a huge statue in person than taking a picture and tearing it down.  This is opinion and not really something that can be debated.  You have given no supporting evidence that monuments do not create interest, because there isn't any.  It is an opinion.
Anecdotes given by you while I don't really need evidence to say books have more words which means it can say more. I don't really need evidence for such a thing but if you want evidence that a book can say more than a statue then do tell me because that would be such an easy point for me to provide. I am arguing for facts not anecdotes.
We disagree on the importance of historical monuments, it is as simple as that. 
I care more about something that provides more than something that provides less. A book provides more than a statue.
Age is probably one of the reasons we disagree. 
I have 2. 1) You are incapable of knowing when you are wrong. 2) Things have worked out for you and confirming biases comes natural to you. Due to this you are unable to see my side without emotion or see it as an attack instead of what it actually is which is a better stance than yours.
DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I did not say we should destroy books..... That is what the Nazi's did, but you are partly doing that too when you destroy the physical history of our country.  

Places of the Berlin Wall still stand, you know why?  People want to see it.  There are many pictures and many books regarding it, why still have it?  Because it is a major attraction, it is now a monument to remember History.  Kids can ask parents about it, schools can go see it, learn more about it and enjoy a nice field trip at the same time.  
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
I did not say we should destroy books
I never said you did. I am saying your argument is A is good because it can lead to B. Monuments are good because it can lead what you want to do with your life.
If I said will earlier then I was wrong. It should be can lead to not will lead to.
but you are partly doing that too when you destroy the physical history of our country.  
I am saying people are justified if they want to destroy monuments because as a society they deem it to be the correct thing to do.
Places of the Berlin Wall still stand, you know why?  People want to see it. 
Great for them.
There are many pictures and many books regarding it, why still have it? 
More pictures more words than whatever a monument can ever do.
Because it is a major attraction, it is now a monument to remember History.
Great for them.
Kids can ask parents about it, schools can go see it, learn more about it and enjoy a nice field trip at the same time.  
Great for them. Still anecdotes where I have given why books are better than monuments. 
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@DBlaze
Places of the Berlin Wall still stand, you know why?
Because it is a "wall" monument of a 'wall' aka concrete barrier, and not a monument of a person. 

A concrete wall, ---or barbed wire fence or land mines---   as a barrier to the free, flow-of-people,  has a substantially  more physically visual and emotional impact on people tourists or otherwise.

Comparing a historical wall of physical imprisoment to historical statue a man or woman is not a fair assessment.

Walking into Alcatraz prison ---off coast of California or anywhere else--- and imagining the emotional and pychologicalogical feelings is so much more relevant than a statue of human.  Statues of humans is about ego.

Ego { * i * }  of general statue vs boots { * @ * } on the ground fort they had to climb over the walls.  

DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@TheRealNihilist
A is better than B, so B must be destroyed?  Which is what you are saying..  Does that make sense?

Even though, some people appreciate B?  And some people despise B, but no one who is actually living today, lived during that time period.  A span of 180 years is different than a span of 40 years, like Mustardness' example.  If people were still living and went through what they thought was a devastating time and they remembered it, I would be all for taking them down, but it lasted. Now it is in the past, and we need to remember, not destroy.   
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Are people who elect to protest a potential course of action considered as members of society?

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
A is better than B, so B must be destroyed? 
False if you read my argument. A is better than B so B can be destroyed since we have A.
Can is the main part you removed in place for will. That argument is copied from earlier. Simple Ctrl-f and type it in.
Which is what you are saying
A is book. B is monument. Thought that would be clear.
Even though, some people appreciate B? 
People can appreciate all they want but A is still the better source of information. If this is based on appreciation why don't we allow serial killers appreciate what they do?
And some people despise B, but no one who is actually living today, lived during that time period.
Who cares about dead people? They are dead and the youth will be taking the place of the next in line to die. If they do not appreciate a monument then they can decide to remove it. I rather have the youth entering into adulthood be happy than people who are dead be happy since the dead can't be happy. This has restrictions but removing a statue is reasonable because the change is very little and the cost is small as well.
 A span of 180 years is different than a span of 40 years,
Okay.
 If people were still living and went through what they thought was a devastating time and they remembered it, I would be all for taking them down,
So you are against the demolition of specific homes? Since the people who did live in that home are dead and now people are now forced to keep that there since they are not alive to say demolish it.
but it lasted. Now it is in the past, and we need to remember, not destroy. 
Remembering is not some thing only capable with monuments. It can occur with books and I argue to a much greater degree since it can record a lot more information. In another way a book can say more than a statue. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@DBlaze
Last comment was for you. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
Are people who elect to protest a potential course of action considered as members of society?
Are people who elect to protest? 
Please to clear up what you mean there. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
So do you support Trump?
Not that I know of.  From what I understand he's probably capable of supporting himself, generally speaking

How about Hillary vs Trump?
Overly Broad, and may take hours to answer
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
Overly Broad, and may take hours to answer
I mean overall. I am sure you have already thought about this so who would you pick on everything you know? You at the end of saying who you would pick state a reason if you want. 

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Are people who elect to protest? 
Please to clear up what you mean there. 

I meant in the sense of making a choice to protest.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
I meant in the sense of making a choice to protest.
Yes because they would need to be protesting near what they are against in order for it to be a protest. Yes there are cases where people set up protest for ideas like feminism which has no real material place but with a statue people can protest near it. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I think we are on the same page.  How I feel about this as an example, is that if there really were legitimate protesters among the group portrayed as white nationalists, its essentially a violation of our commitment to free speech to dishonestly associate them as unreasonable outliers on a political basis.  In such a case, its right for the president to uphold the constitution, besides any societal remarks.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
is that if there really were legitimate protesters among the group portrayed as white nationalists, its essentially a violation of our commitment to free speech to associate them as unreasonable on a political basis.
The unite the right rally was based on far right ideas so if you mean "legitimate" protesters being people who don't associate with that then they were in the wrong protest and in this context would be illegitimate protesters since that rally was based on far-right ideas.  

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
So all of the people protesting the government or whatever were wrong, and all of the people protesting the protesters were far right wing, and correct?  The only other way I can think of taking that is that everyone, including servicemen, should not have showed up or they face delegitimization.  It just doesn't make sense either way.  I think you should consider that you might have been conned.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
So all of the people protesting the government or whatever were wrong, and all of the people protesting the protesters were far right wing, and correct? 
How did you get this? Where did I make a value statement on government or the far right?
I think you should consider that you might have been conned.
I think you should consider when you don't know what you are talking about and put words into my mouth without asking for my actual position. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
So all of the people protesting the government or whatever were wrong, and all of the people protesting the protesters were far right wing, and correct? 
How did you get this? Where did I make a value statement on government or the far right?
Far-Right is assumed to be a relative outlier.  The rally was "based on far right ideas", therefore we can associate everyone in attendance as far right.  There is established context surrounding a statue.

I think you should consider that you might have been conned.
I think you should consider when you don't know what you are talking about and put words into my mouth without asking for my actual position. 
Reread, in a more temperate tone I guess?  I'm actually trying not to put words in your mouth.  I simply don't have a coherent understanding of what you were trying to say.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
Far-Right is assumed to be a relative outlier.  The rally was "based on far right ideas", therefore we can dismiss everyone in attendance as far right.  There is established context surrounding a statue.
I asked this question which was not answered:
Where did I make a value statement on government or the far right?
Snoopy said:
Reread, in a more temperate tone I guess?  I'm actually trying not to put words in your mouth. 
You say I have been conned without showing evidence. 
DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I think we did get off on a tangent there.  So you are saying that anyone who believes that the statue's should stay up is in no way a fine person?  That is what the protest was about, the unite the right came later.  It is not far right to not want statues destroyed.  

I agree with your A is better than B, so B can be destroyed... But what the cities and municipalities are saying is nothing about A, just that B must be destroyed without consulting the constituents of the town. 

Anyway, I think there were fine people on both sides.   I repeat his sentiment. I do not include the white supremacist in that statement.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Reread, in a more temperate tone I guess?  I'm actually trying not to put words in your mouth. 
You say I have been conned without showing evidence. 

I quote "I think you should consider that you might have been" so that is not an honest representation and uncalled for.  If you are accusing me of something, I would appreciate an apology.

Far-Right is assumed to be a relative outlier.  The rally was "based on far right ideas", therefore we can dismiss everyone in attendance as far right.  There is established context surrounding a statue.
I asked this question which was not answered "Where did I make a value statement on government or the far right?"
Okay, tell me what a value statement is.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@DBlaze
 So you are saying that anyone who believes that the statue's should stay up is in no way a fine person?
Never made the claim. If the society deems the statues to be good then who am I to judge.
A, just that B must be destroyed without consulting the constituents of the town.
Yes that is bad. 
Anyway, I think there were fine people on both sides.
If this is about the unite the right rally then. I think there are white-supremacists, illegitimate protesters and gullible people. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
I would appreciate an apology.
I think you should d*e. What do you say about that?
I am not giving you an apology for an insult.
Okay, tell me what a value statement is.
The regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something.
So basically I value A but don't Value B as much and C not at all.

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist

would appreciate an apology.
I think you should d*e. What do you say about that?
That sounds unhealthy.  If its not meant matter of factly, it would be nice if you conveyed sincerely how you now understand it was wrong

Value statement: Government + Far Right
I don't recall you stating that government is valuable.  I don't recall you stating that the far right is valuable either.  Previous conversation implied that government could be utilized to certain aspirations, and that the far right is perceived as having little to no value, though that may or may not be translatable out of context. 

mustardness
mustardness
Places of the Berlin Wall still stand, you know why?
Because it is a"wall" monument of a 'wall' aka concrete barrier, and not a monument of a person. 

A concrete wall, ---or barbed wire fence or land mines---   as a barrier to the free, flow-of-people,  has a substantially  more physically visual and emotional impact on people tourists or otherwise.

Comparing a historical wall of physical imprisonment to historical statue a man or woman is not a fair assessment.

Walking into Alcatraz prison ---off coast of California or anywhere else--- and imagining the emotional and pychologicalogical feelings is so much more relevant than a statue of human.  Statues of humans is about ego.

Ego { * i * }  of general statue vs boots { * @ * } on the ground fort they had to climb over the walls.  

Do "you know why" some historical stuff ex ego of dictator in monumental form is deleted?

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
That sounds unhealthy.  If its not meant matter of factly, it would be nice if you conveyed sincerely how you now understand it was wrong
You said I was being conned. Thinking is not a scapegoat for that claim so you can't behind that and on-top of that expect an apology.
Previous conversation implied that government could be utilized to certain aspirations, and that the far right is perceived as having little to know value, though that may or may not be translatable out of context.
Implying would be the word missing from your statements. Yes I do take the position far-right holds no value if I value truth and the government should helps its citizens and a "big government" can do that if you mean by big government public healthcare. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
You said I was being conned. Thinking is not a scapegoat for that claim so you can't behind that and on-top of that expect an apology.
I said, I think you should CONSIDER that you MIGHT have been.  This is a fact.   Might, means may or may not.  Its a suggestion, to consider, what may or may not be.  I'm not saying that thinking absolves my statement of thought.  That would be absurd

"I think you should consider that you might have been"  

"I think you should consider that you [MAY or May NOT] have been"

"I think you should consider that you might have been conned"

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
Its a suggestion, to consider, what may or may not be.  I'm not saying that thinking absolves my statement of thought
I got to this position by seeing if I was right or wrong. I wasn't a liberal or progressive for my entire life and since I got here due to a standard I apply. I know that I am not being "conned" because conservatives failed to meet the guideline of have a good claim, evidence and explanation. 

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
That appears to be a strawman fallacy.