Happy zombie Jesus day everyone!

Author: secularmerlin

Total: 269
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Mopac
As I suspected. I really am wasting my time conversing with you. You have not tried to understand my position and have no intention of doing so and this makes it impossible for you to communicate effectively with me.

This saddens me.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
My faith is kept hidden from those who lack humility and charity. That is why you can't understand my faith.

I think it is very telling that you speak of driving me off as if you would prefer this forum to be some big circle jerk as it seems to have been the entire time I've been gone.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@keithprosser
I think if we're nice to him he'll go away.
I don't want him to go away I want him to join in our discourse instead of derailing and discouraging it.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@secularmerlin
As I said, I believe you lack discernment so that should give you an idea of how seriously I take your whining.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
I  understand you faith just fine.

Since you've been away we have discusssed many things unrelated to orthodoxy, so you wouldn't have enjoyed it.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@secularmerlin
He's a monomaniac.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Mopac
As I said, I believe you lack discernment so that should give you an idea of how seriously I take your whining.
Ad hominem is no substitute for a well reasoned argument. You fail to understand my underlying objection to your arguments or you simply refuse to address it.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@keithprosser
He's a monomaniac.
He is what he has been made by his biology and circumstances. Nothing more.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
If you truly understood my faith, the guilt you bear would be all the worse.
You do not understand my faith. It is not fitting that the mystagogy would be revealed to those who deny The One Who Exists.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@secularmerlin
Reason is not sufficient to enlighten a darkened mind at enmity with The Truth.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Mopac
Truth is not revealed it is discovered. The Greeks tortured circles until they gave up the secret of pi.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Mopac
Reason is not sufficient to enlighten a darkened mind at enmity with The Truth.
This seems mostly meaningless. Darkened mind could mean anything. Perhaps it is just a convenient way to dismiss ideas you find uncomfortable. This still fails to show you even untestand my position. If you do not understand my position you cannot hope to argue logically against it. 

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@secularmerlin
Truth is not revealed it is discovered. The Greeks tortured circles until they gave up the secret of pi.
Mopac uses capital-T Truth.  The Truth is another name for God.

Then mopac says 'You believe in the Truth, don't you?'.   If you say yes you believe in god if you say no you're crazy for not believong in the truth.

Been there, done it, got several teeshirts..
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@secularmerlin
The Truth is not discovered, it is revealed. If you had all knowledge, you still would not know God. An undefiled intellect is more valuable than all the knowledge in the world, more valuable than reason itself.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Mopac
If you had all knowledge, you still would not know God. An undefiled intellect is more valuable than all the knowledge in the world.
What does this even mean? I would hate to think you were just spouting empty platitudes as though they constitute an actual argument.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
An undefiled intellect is more valuable than all the knowledge in the world.
Unless your on a quiz show.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@keithprosser
Unless your on a quiz show.
Priceless

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@secularmerlin
Do you really want to know what an undefiled intellect is, or are you simply mocking what you don't understand?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
i imagine it's an intellect free of sinful thoughts.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
And what does that mean to you?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
What it means to me is that your Church encourages people to avoid learning and knowing stuff.   It teaches people to just think about god and leave the hard thinking to the priests.

it's a policy designed in a feudal society to keep the serfs in their place.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Mopac
I'm pretty sure it is shorthand for someone who agrees with Mopac on the subject of religion. If this is incorrect please provide an example of someone who disagrees with Mopac on the subject of religion and yet has this quality.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
Yeah, I guess that is why my church is full of doctors, computer programmers, and all these people that speak 2 or more languages.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@secularmerlin
"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh."
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Mopac
That seems mostly meaningless. An attempt to sound deep is no substitute for depth.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@secularmerlin
It takes the same amount of thought to dismiss something immediately as it does to believe something immediately.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
Doing well are they, these doctors and computer programmers?  Making lots of money?  Do they drive nice cars?

As you point out, the orthodox church has been around a long time.  The writings you quote come rom a different age when the bulk of the faithful were not doctors and computer programmers but illiterate peons.  

O hypocrite!  You denounce wordly knowledge and goods on one hand and hold them up as a sign of superiority with the other.  You rail against the vanity and pride of others yet the pride in your false humility is without bounds.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
It is clear to me that you are more interested in justifying your own prejudices than exercising righteous discernment.

As this is how you are perceived by me, you can imagine just how seriously I am taking your feeble insults.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Mopac
It takes the same amount of thought to dismiss something immediately as it does to believe something immediately.
Good and evil have nothing to do with my position on theism. This is mostly meaningless in the context of this discussion. Whether or not it is meaningless in another context is irrelevant.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
I am damn sure you only come here to be a victim.  It's a sort of pennance - to be mocked and ridiculed yet stay steadfast in you faith despite the slings and arrows flung at you like some sort of cut-price St Sebastian, but without the physical danger!

The problem is you've got no interesting ideas.  You just trot out the same old stuff you learnt by rote with no variation.  You are the Mr Predictable of DA - which is an acievement because there is a lot of competition for that prize!