Steven Crowder showing his true self

Author: TheRealNihilist

Total: 138
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Greyparrot
Men and women don't need equal rights in all things.

Why do women need a right to have urinals in a restroom? Why do men need a right to breastfeed in public?
I gave an example in what I said. Job opportunities would be one and another equal payment if they of equal merit. I also take the position divorce cases should be equal as well instead of going on the side of the women. I can list off more. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I'm going to need some proof that is what he believes, because I believe that to be a lie.
Guess I'll keep you waiting because I have to sieve through so much of his content just to find something like then your claim would be either well he didn't actually say that or that he has changed. I don't see the point in providing evidence to someone who find excuses to direct prejudice.
LOL nice try bucko, you claimed I was using hate speech so now you change the focus to what Crowder and SNL said, no need to prove my point, but thanks.
I tried to help you understand how it was hate speech. If my example didn't help you guess you really like fishing for excuses or stick to arguing in bad faith.
because I wanted to see what your motive actually was, it wasn't to denounce speech or what was actually said, aka selective moral outrage, but rather an attack on Steven Crowder, plain as the nose on your face.  wataboutism doesn't fit YOUR definition of hate speech either.  Just can't keep your foot out of your mouth can you.
You used a whataboutism to simply not answer what I had before and move away from the topic at hand. You used it to imply that you didn't disagree it with it which gave me the impression that you considered it hate speech. I think you do because why else would you use it because from your reasoning here it doesn't make sense when the left is about consistency not the right. They something like facts don't care about your feelings on one hand and the other hand they have the Bible or Torah.
ohh well let me use your own words then "How is my fault that you didn't quantify(specifiy) how many grown-ups you meant (Crowder)? That fault is on you."  you see pedantic
I said "A Christian" which is singular. You used a plural with "grown-ups" without saying how much. See the problem here? 
no I understand, you think you can label people as you wish, when you wish and how you wish, I get that fully. 
What do you have against labels?
I also get you think you are the last word on these arbitrary words as to what their definitions are.  Someone who claims to be a feminist but doesn't meet your criteria for one, therefore can't call themselves one, yeah I totally understand authoritarianism when I hear it.
I don't think you understand what the definition of feminism is. It is equality between the sexes. If a feminist says she believes in equals rights but in her actions she is doing something anti-feminist then at that very time she can't be called a feminist. Depending on the severity and if she is a representative for the movement can depend on the consequences of what she has done.
That's a classic leftist trait.  
I use your words back at you "no I understand, you think you can label people as you wish, when you wish and how you wish, I get that fully."
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I'm about 25% certain that feminism is an affirmation in the superiority of the female race.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Snoopy
Because when systemic equality is codified in the law, the only way for feminists to have a reason to exist is to be more than equal, in the Orwellian sense.

ResurgetExFavilla
Debates: 0
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Nope, because people aren't impoverished intrisically, they are impoverished due to injustices within our economic system.
False. Children who are born into poverty will be poor. Might not be forever but the time they are born for sure. I don't see how you got to that conclusion.
You're thinking of this within a capitalist paradigm, which isn't the only paradigm available. It's the one that we are currently living under.

it's always 1,000. Your assistance doesn't decrease as you climb out of poverty.
Okay but what if people need more than 1k?
Then they work to earn more. But the 1k baseline gives them the freedom to pursue other work that they may find more fulfilling, or to work more limited hours. And since Yang supports Medicare for all, it removes our idiotic pairing of employment with healthcare. If they cannot work at all, then other welfare programs exist that will give them more. But the number of people who will be on those is vanishingly small.

Poor people aren't inherently irrational with money
That is not my claim. My claim is that poor people tend to make bad choices due to the circumstance they are in.
So change their circumstances with $1,000 a month to them and everyone in their family and community.

scarcity has been shown to lower a persons IQ by a standard deviation, and UBI helps to eliminate the scarcity mindset. I think you might have picked up some rather unfair views of poor people from Republican propaganda.
Giving someone 1k doesn't solve their problems but it can help. Do you agree?
I do agree; I don't think that the government is good at solving people's problems. It's good at handing them a big pile of money though, and letting them work on their own problems.

Also, look at Alaska. UBI hasn't lead to either inflation or bad choices;
I said tend not will.
If it tended to you would be able to produce an example of it happening. One not existing indicates that it tends not to.

people use the money to pay down bills or generally augment a responsible life.
If the bills are manageable or they are rational people then it can work but it does not solve their problems which is why in Alaska they are still working their jobs not deciding to do something else with their life because the UBI does not cover them to do something more important. This is based on people not liking their job and I think that assumption is fair.
Alaska's UBI is much smaller than what Yang is proposing. UBI isn't supposed to free you from labor, it's supposed to increase your negotiating power as a laborer.

The reason that UBI doesn't lead to price inflation is because while it gives consumers more money, it also revitalizes local economies to create more competition. There was no measurable inflation in the Finland trial.
Do you have evidence for Alaska? I would rather stick to one instead of another UBI trial in Finland.
I mean, I'm the one saying that there was no evidence of inflation. You're the one claiming that inflation would happen. The burden of proof is on you; find a study on the inflationary effects of a real world UBI program. There's no need to stick to one either, especially when we have so few examples to work with.

I don't see poor people doing that, because everyone wants a better life and more money. 
This interview would help understand my concern: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50z8H2RYe7s Starts at 5:11. Do tell me what you think of it. Basically people who get 300 already will only get 700 more from UBI. 
Yeah, but the end goal is that they become more wealthy while still receiving 1,000 in UBI. If their means tested amount is decreasing it's because they're making more money, which is good. It's not meant to help people who are permanently disabled (a very small number); it's supposed to revitalize local economies, help to fight systemic poverty, and to spread capital out of elite coastal enclaves.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@TheRealNihilist

You seem liberal to me, so I don't know why you seem to believe that most people on welfare are 'welfare queens'. 
That could be implied by what I said but I don't take the position. I think people on welfare depend on it and UBI will not help them get out of welfare because I think most people require more than 1k every month I think to ditch welfare programs and enter the job market.
...but they can keep the welfare programs if they want them, and the UBI is there as an option if they, for example, get a second job and get cut off from welfare as a result.

Most of them are working poor trying to make ends meet, and if they make more money and the government cuts their benefits due to means testing then UBI becomes the better option.
So you the government is going to force UBI whether or not it is beneficial? What if like I said before the individual or family take more than 1k from welfare programs will that be cut as well?
NO. The government ALREADY DOES THIS. A person on welfare who for example makes more money gets their welfare cut ALREADY. That's what 'means tested' means. What UBI does, is it comes in and makes up the difference when welfare gets cut so it always equals $1,000 no matter what. I live in a pretty working poor area, a lot of people do second jobs for under the table cash so that they can keep their welfare benefits and make more money; if they had to declare that money the government would decrease their benefits. UBI says 'oh, the government cut your SNAP and TANF benefits to $400? here's $600 to make up for what they cut'. If someone uses more than $1,000 a month UBI doesn't effect them directly at all.

Also, UBI is no-strings-attached money. It's not SNAP, which people often are ashamed to use. There's no government oversee checking in on how you're spending the money. It gives you freedom 
Shame can come after being able to survive and I doubt it would take people out of welfare programs.
I know for a fact it does. A lot of people who I personally know qualify for programs like SNAP and TANF don't take it and survive paycheck to paycheck because they think that it's immoral to take it.

Social security costs alone are like 2 billion a year I think, and the country has less than a thousand billionaires,so giving them all 1,000 bucks brings the cost to 12 million a year.
I don't think you can support that claim but I am open to seeing the evidence of prior social security compared to current social security when using UBI. 
That's not even my point. My point is that the ADMINISTRATIVE costs of SS alone far, far outweigh the cost of giving billionaires 1,000 a month.

Here is a study:
It states this "When you are living in the United States, you will likely want to budget approximately $1000 – $1500 per month for housing and utilities." That is only for housing and utilities so other necessary payment like food or water would add to that total. Meaning if UBI is considered a welfare program it won't be enough by itself to keep up with the cost of living in the United States. 
It's not a welfare program, and it's not supposed to keep up with the cost of living. It's supposed to subsidize reduced work hours and pump money into main-street economies.

ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Greyparrot
How do you differentiate between the systematically oppressed poor person and the gifted person choosing to be lazy to game the welfare system?
You give them both $1,000 and see what they do with it.

ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Snoopy
How does a fiat UBI remain stable over time?  I mean, if the dollar isn't tied to something of considerable value, eventually the effect of stimulus will wear off and the UBI amount will turn out to be worth less, right?
No. But the amount will need to modified from time to time.

I'm also concerned about the potential for quasi-populist kickbacks, and there are other potential problems to be addressed as well, such as a government that exclusively controls critical means of production, presenting a liability in which the people lack the productive capacity to take a hit (from the government) and negotiate if necessary.
Wasn't a problem in Ancient Rome. In fact, historically the Roman grain dole was so popular that politicians were terrified of touching it. It was considered political suicide. This is because behind all the niceties politics is always about force and the threat of force, and people will react violently if they are pushed too far from the standard of living which they have come to see as 'decent'. I imagine that a lot of people would use the $1,000 to buy guns, I know that I would buy a few.

Another potential issue to be addressed, that the governing agents have an option to simply open the floodgates just enough to keep the masses at an "acceptable" standard of living.  I don't necessarily think we need to let the risks keep us from considering the implementation in a positive light either, but I think it should be considered whether the implementation burdens a liability onto future generations in a centralized application.
I think that the alternatives are astronomically worse. We're definitely an empire in decline, nothing is going to change that. I would rather it be a stable decline than an unstable one.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
I'm about 25% certain that feminism is an affirmation in the superiority of the female race.
Then they are not feminists. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
You're thinking of this within a capitalist paradigm, which isn't the only paradigm available. It's the one that we are currently living under.
That is the paradigm the United States is living on so it is fair to have that approach. Your rebuttal is not a rebuttal because UBI will be placed if occurs in a capitalist paradigm. If there was another system that you think would be taking place during UBI do tell because I think the United States will remain in a capitalist paradigm.
Then they work to earn more. But the 1k baseline gives them the freedom to pursue other work that they may find more fulfilling, or to work more limited hours. And since Yang supports Medicare for all, it removes our idiotic pairing of employment with healthcare. If they cannot work at all, then other welfare programs exist that will give them more. But the number of people who will be on those is vanishingly small.
Where is the evidence from Alaska or Finland to even suggest people take up jobs that they want to do? The burden is on you to provide something that states that and from what I have read about Alaska it mentions they kept their current jobs not used their added freedom to commit to new ones. Yes public healthcare is good. 
So change their circumstances with $1,000 a month to them and everyone in their family and community.
1k is not going to reduce wage stagnation since everyone is going to get the 1k if they are not on better welfare programs. It is not going to improve schools. It is not going better the justice which unfairly sentences minority groups. It is only going to give them 1k more and even that is not that good because from what I read about Alaska that added freedom meant nothing to their jobs since they carried on working the same jobs that they did already. Maybe because the place that they were working at offered them company sponsored healthcare and to risk that for several families would be detrimental. Yang has said he is for public healthcare so that can offer freedom. I would like to bring in Finland because that I think has public healthcare and from this links said that added freedom of UBI did not make the unemployed find jobs. 
"Did it help unemployed people in Finland find jobs, as the centre-right Finnish government had hoped? No, not really."
Guess we need to wait a little longer for more in-depth look at what occurred with this statement "Mr Simanainen says that while some individuals found work, they were no more likely to do so than a control group of people who weren't given the money. They are still trying to work out exactly why this is, for the final report that will be published in 2020."
I do agree; I don't think that the government is good at solving people's problems. It's good at handing them a big pile of money though, and letting them work on their own problems.
Would you also agree that people with debt are just a tad better off not enough to get them out of debt? The government can solve people's problems if they are good at it. A government is not bad with money by definition it is because of bad policies. If they implement a policy like public healthcare they are pretty much cutting time out of people's lives to go through insurance, paying for healthcare directly by telling them to pay in taxes. They already pay taxes so they would only need to pay more or what Yang proposes to make healthcare happen. 
If it tended to you would be able to produce an example of it happening. One not existing indicates that it tends not to.
I'll drop the inflation and bad choices because I don't have evidence for that but with the Alaskan UBI trial they found this "They found that full-time employment did not change at all, and the share of Alaskans who worked part-time jobs increased by 17%."
Alaska's UBI is much smaller than what Yang is proposing. UBI isn't supposed to free you from labor, it's supposed to increase your negotiating power as a laborer.
I don't think that is the case by both cases of UBI in Finland and Alaska.
I mean, I'm the one saying that there was no evidence of inflation. You're the one claiming that inflation would happen. The burden of proof is on you; find a study on the inflationary effects of a real world UBI program. There's no need to stick to one either, especially when we have so few examples to work with.
I'll drop it because I'll stick to Alaska and Finland and nothing has come up about inflation yet.
Yeah, but the end goal is that they become more wealthy while still receiving 1,000 in UBI.
So basically UBI is going to give people money but not make them wealthy?
it's supposed to revitalize local economies
Evidence?
help to fight systemic poverty
Why not improve the system instead of giving people money? I would also like evidence for this as well.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
...but they can keep the welfare programs if they want them, and the UBI is there as an option if they, for example, get a second job and get cut off from welfare as a result.
What is the aim of UBI? I am getting an idea from what you said earlier but I want to make sure I am understanding your point correctly. 
What UBI does, is it comes in and makes up the difference when welfare gets cut so it always equals $1,000 no matter what.
This is on the assumption that Republicans won't cut costs for UBI right? They are cutting social security and their voters don't care so what is stopping someone like Trump to cut UBI a social security if I am not mistaken?
I live in a pretty working poor area, a lot of people do second jobs for under the table cash so that they can keep their welfare benefits and make more money; if they had to declare that money the government would decrease their benefits. UBI says 'oh, the government cut your SNAP and TANF benefits to $400? here's $600 to make up for what they cut'. If someone uses more than $1,000 a month UBI doesn't effect them directly at all.
You do know this is an anecdote right? I want to remind you above of my question. What is stopping people in the future to cut UBI like they do to other social securities?
A lot of people who I personally know qualify for programs like SNAP and TANF don't take it and survive paycheck to paycheck because they think that it's immoral to take it.
Do you have evidence for this because this is an anecdote as well? I can say I live in the richest area in the country and I would say why are people so poor can't they simply ask their parents to pay for anything? You wouldn't agree with it but there are teenagers or adults like this so either I choose to accept your anecdote or the rich adult or teenager. I rather not accept either and see the evidence.
My point is that the ADMINISTRATIVE costs of SS alone far, far outweigh the cost of giving billionaires 1,000 a month.
Has this been shown in Alaska, Finland or some other UBI trial?
It's not a welfare program, and it's not supposed to keep up with the cost of living. It's supposed to subsidize reduced work hours and pump money into main-street economies.
The problem here is that everyone who is eligible will get the money so the poor would still be poor and the middle class would still be the middle class. Now they have 1k more just like people who are much better off as well. Doesn't help actual problems like wage stagnation or healthcare so I don't see how UBI is more important than unions and public healthcare. Do you concede unions and public healthcare are more important that UBI?

ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
What is the aim of UBI? I am getting an idea from what you said earlier but I want to make sure I am understanding your point correctly.
To help people rise out of poverty and to create consumer markets in impoverished areas. To increase negotiating power of both individuals and unions. The aims are manifold.

What UBI does, is it comes in and makes up the difference when welfare gets cut so it always equals $1,000 no matter what.
This is on the assumption that Republicans won't cut costs for UBI right? They are cutting social security and their voters don't care so what is stopping someone like Trump to cut UBI a social security if I am not mistaken?
This argument can be used against literally any social program.
I live in a pretty working poor area, a lot of people do second jobs for under the table cash so that they can keep their welfare benefits and make more money; if they had to declare that money the government would decrease their benefits. UBI says 'oh, the government cut your SNAP and TANF benefits to $400? here's $600 to make up for what they cut'. If someone uses more than $1,000 a month UBI doesn't effect them directly at all.
You do know this is an anecdote right? I want to remind you above of my question. What is stopping people in the future to cut UBI like they do to other social securities?
Yeah it's an anecdote. An anecdote is a good argument against an inaccurate absolute statement.

A lot of people who I personally know qualify for programs like SNAP and TANF don't take it and survive paycheck to paycheck because they think that it's immoral to take it.
Do you have evidence for this because this is an anecdote as well? I can say I live in the richest area in the country and I would say why are people so poor can't they simply ask their parents to pay for anything? You wouldn't agree with it but there are teenagers or adults like this so either I choose to accept your anecdote or the rich adult or teenager. I rather not accept either and see the evidence.
All evidence which is not sensory is ultimately based on anecdotes. The problem with individual anecdotes is that they are limited in scope. They're  not good for proving trends, but they are good for disproving inaccurate statements with a counter example. If someone says 'there are no northern lights', saying 'I've been to Alaska and I saw the northern lights' is a good counter argument.
My point is that the ADMINISTRATIVE costs of SS alone far, far outweigh the cost of giving billionaires 1,000 a month.
Has this been shown in Alaska, Finland or some other UBI trial?
What on earth do you mean? We KNOW how much it costs to administer SS now. We also know how many billionaires there are in the US. If we multiply that number by 12,000, we know how much the UBI will cost and we can compare that number to the administration figure.
The problem here is that everyone who is eligible will get the money so the poor would still be poor and the middle class would still be the middle class. Now they have 1k more just like people who are much better off as well. Doesn't help actual problems like wage stagnation or healthcare so I don't see how UBI is more important than unions and public healthcare. Do you concede unions and public healthcare are more important that UBI?
Some unions enthusiastically endorse UBI because it increases their negotiating power. Think about a strike. If people have UBI, they can strike and then survive short term on the UBI. Without it, it is much harder to strike. I think that getting rid of private health insurance companies is really important, but they're two completely different problems.

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
@TheRealNihilist
So to keep republicans from slashing taxes, all you have to do is address the authoritarian issues, making it voluntary and/or morally upright.  For example, Republicans are notorious for cutting educational funding but that could be alleviated if Democrats didn't inappropriately use funding to pressure people into the public school system, offering equivalent vouchers for alternative choices.

UBI would be a lot more acceptable if it didn't discourage charity within the community.  If under a certain threshold of income, people could opt out and get full tax refunds for their charity, what have you, this would make a lot more sense to a lot more people.

ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
That is the paradigm the United States is living on so it is fair to have that approach. Your rebuttal is not a rebuttal because UBI will be placed if occurs in a capitalist paradigm. If there was another system that you think would be taking place during UBI do tell because I think the United States will remain in a capitalist paradigm.
I don't. Capitalism is based on a proletariat class which needs to sell their labor to the bourgeoisie in return for a wage. As automation increases efficiency, what you are going to end up with is a large working class which wants to labor but which cannot (if we don't intervene). The American economist Henry George covered this extensively in his book 'Poverty and Progress'.

Where is the evidence from Alaska or Finland to even suggest people take up jobs that they want to do? The burden is on you to provide something that states that and from what I have read about Alaska it mentions they kept their current jobs not used their added freedom to commit to new ones. Yes public healthcare is good.
I already said, Alaska gives people roughly 1k A YEAR. That's not enough to supplement part time work, but it does help people pay down debts and invest a bit in the local economy. So I wouldn't expect that effect to show up.
1k is not going to reduce wage stagnation since everyone is going to get the 1k if they are not on better welfare programs.
It's not supposed to; wages are going to become increasingly obsolete.
It is not going to improve schools.
Yes it will, since student success has more to do with parental involvement than with school funding. Taking people out of a scarcity mindset allows them to focus on small but important things like their child's school performance.
It is not going better the justice which unfairly sentences minority groups.
Obviously not, that's a different program which requires different policies.

It is only going to give them 1k more and even that is not that good because from what I read about Alaska that added freedom meant nothing to their jobs since they carried on working the same jobs that they did already.
That's because Alaska didn't give them 1k a month. 1k a month is enough to hold you over working a job with pay that isn't quite as great. 1k a year is not. And I don't get this bizarre fascination that you have with people quitting their jobs as a sign of success. Maybe people kept their jobs because they liked them? I wouldn't quit my job if I got $1,000 a month. I doubt my father or brother would either. But there is a small minority of people who want to quit but are afraid to. UBI would help them, which would put more pressure on businesses to treat their workers better as a result.

Maybe because the place that they were working at offered them company sponsored healthcare and to risk that for several families would be detrimental. Yang has said he is for public healthcare so that can offer freedom. I would like to bring in Finland because that I think has public healthcare and from this links said that added freedom of UBI did not make the unemployed find jobs. 
"Did it help unemployed people in Finland find jobs, as the centre-right Finnish government had hoped? No, not really."
Guess we need to wait a little longer for more in-depth look at what occurred with this statement "Mr Simanainen says that while some individuals found work, they were no more likely to do so than a control group of people who weren't given the money. They are still trying to work out exactly why this is, for the final report that will be published in 2020."
Of course, how do they define 'jobs'? The entire point of UBI is that it frees people to pursue unorthodox ways to make money, like artisan work or part-time work. Yangs UBI also includes a huge boost to trade schools as well, which would help to increase the number of self-employed people doing difficult to automate work. Your standards for success also seem rather bizarre. You complain about the Alaskan trial not leading to people leaving their jobs, and then complain about the Finnish one not leading to people working more. Which is your standard for a successful UBI program? Because both are exactly what I would expect: increased happiness, reduced anxiety and stress, a bit more part time work, but no huge change in standard, old-fashioned employment.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@TheRealNihilist

Would you also agree that people with debt are just a tad better off not enough to get them out of debt? The government can solve people's problems if they are good at it. A government is not bad with money by definition it is because of bad policies. If they implement a policy like public healthcare they are pretty much cutting time out of people's lives to go through insurance, paying for healthcare directly by telling them to pay in taxes. They already pay taxes so they would only need to pay more or what Yang proposes to make healthcare happen. 
A government is bad with money by definition, because there is no real controlling factor aside from elections, which are easily manipulatable. I don't support single payer because I think that the government will be more efficient, I support it because private insurance companies are evil, vampiric middlemen who contribute absolute zero positive things to health care while obscuring pricing signals and hiding the true costs of our ridiculous healthcare system, then slurping a huge cut for themselves off the top of the whole mess. They deserve to die, and while I would prefer to see their executives executed by firing squad I will settle for seeing their companies dismantled.
If it tended to you would be able to produce an example of it happening. One not existing indicates that it tends not to.
I'll drop the inflation and bad choices because I don't have evidence for that but with the Alaskan UBI trial they found this "They found that full-time employment did not change at all, and the share of Alaskans who worked part-time jobs increased by 17%."
... that actually proves my point. People, I imagine retired people and mothers, got part time jobs because the 1k a year put them in a more comfortable position. But then again I'd have to see more statistics as there are a lot of confounding variables. But once again; a huge number of people dropping out of employment wouldn't be a good thing. That's not what UBI is meant to do; it's meant to supplement a full time or part time wage. As automation-driven unemployment increases, the UBI could be raised.

I don't think that is the case by both cases of UBI in Finland and Alaska.
Why don't you think that?

Yeah, but the end goal is that they become more wealthy while still receiving 1,000 in UBI.
So basically UBI is going to give people money but not make them wealthy?
Yeah, it's up to them to make themselves wealthy. This just gives everyone a leg up.
it's supposed to revitalize local economies
Evidence?
It's basic economics. Consumer economies drive economic growth, and handing people money creates a consumer economy.

help to fight systemic poverty
Why not improve the system instead of giving people money? I would also like evidence for this as well.
...once again, this is just basic logic. Poverty is defined as a lack of wealth. Giving people money by definition fights poverty. This is an improvement of the system. There are claims that you don't ask for 'evidence' for because they are self-evident.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
To help people rise out of poverty and to create consumer markets in impoverished areas. To increase negotiating power of both individuals and unions. The aims are manifold.
This is based on the assumption that the inflation rate won't increase and the people who need it the most will use the money rationally? The only way you can prove inflation rate won't increase is to provide a trial that also gave people 1k a month. Didn't realise Alaska got 1k a year. How about Finland?
How does it improve negotiating power? I think it is fair to say most people carry on with their job because of the healthcare they. 
This argument can be used against literally any social program.
Yes which is why public healthcare and unions are a better option than social security. Since the amount is only 1k a month if UBI was implemented by Yang Republicans can simply cut this to reduce the amount of money people get or remove it from some people entirely. People keep to their jobs because of their healthcare if it paid through taxes that would provide more freedom than UBI could have ever can.
Yeah it's an anecdote. An anecdote is a good argument against an inaccurate absolute statement.
Where is my inaccurate absolute statement?
All evidence which is not sensory is ultimately based on anecdotes. The problem with individual anecdotes is that they are limited in scope. They're  not good for proving trends, but they are good for disproving inaccurate statements with a counter example. If someone says 'there are no northern lights', saying 'I've been to Alaska and I saw the northern lights' is a good counter argument.
The problem is that it is not I saw the 1k a month it would be everyone has seen the 1k a month. That is the difference. Since this would be impacting every single American not 1 anecdote the burden would be on you to provide how this would be effective to the majority of the population.
What on earth do you mean? We KNOW how much it costs to administer SS now. We also know how many billionaires there are in the US. If we multiply that number by 12,000, we know how much the UBI will cost and we can compare that number to the administration figure.
You don't understand. The people who are getting more than 1k in social security would have to be removed then you can work how many people would get a better deal with UBI compared to their existing social security.
Some unions enthusiastically endorse UBI because it increases their negotiating power. Think about a strike. If people have UBI, they can strike and then survive short term on the UBI. Without it, it is much harder to strike. I think that getting rid of private health insurance companies is really important, but they're two completely different problems.

They are arguing for UBI not Yang's UBI. They weren't even specific about what kind of UBI they would like so to say they approve of Yang's specific proposal would be a lie. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
I don't. Capitalism is based on a proletariat class which needs to sell their labor to the bourgeoisie in return for a wage. As automation increases efficiency, what you are going to end up with is a large working class which wants to labor but which cannot (if we don't intervene). The American economist Henry George covered this extensively in his book 'Poverty and Progress'.
You don't understand. People voted for a fake populist called Trump and they like hearing what is good but what is not actually good. He says he will cut taxes for middle class but more taxes were cut for the rich. He says he is going to give Medicare for all but he didn't. He said he will drain the swamp but he didn't and guess what? He is going to win again because there are a bunch of id*ots who can't fathom voting against Trump. That is the problem. A fake populist is stopping the working class from actually getting the security and safety they deserve. 
I already said, Alaska gives people roughly 1k A YEAR. That's not enough to supplement part time work, but it does help people pay down debts and invest a bit in the local economy. So I wouldn't expect that effect to show up.
Is there a trial that is like what Yang is proposing?
It's not supposed to; wages are going to become increasingly obsolete.
If it is not supposed to fix the biggest problem for the most amount of people then why aren't you advocating for unions and public healthcare instead of focusing just on UBI? Wages are not becoming obsolete. Where did you get that? 
Yes it will, since student success has more to do with parental involvement than with school funding. Taking people out of a scarcity mindset allows them to focus on small but important things like their child's school performance.
I would like to see evidence that parental involvement has more to with a students success compared schools being better funded.
Obviously not, that's a different program which requires different policies.
The justice system is a systemic problem. UBI if implemented would not fix systemic problems instead simply says here is 1k a month.
That's because Alaska didn't give them 1k a month. 1k a month is enough to hold you over working a job with pay that isn't quite as great. 1k a year is not. And I don't get this bizarre fascination that you have with people quitting their jobs as a sign of success. Maybe people kept their jobs because they liked them? I wouldn't quit my job if I got $1,000 a month. I doubt my father or brother would either. But there is a small minority of people who want to quit but are afraid to. UBI would help them, which would put more pressure on businesses to treat their workers better as a result.
So basically everyone would get UBI but it would actually only help a minority to get jobs that they prefer to do?
Of course, how do they define 'jobs'? The entire point of UBI is that it frees people to pursue unorthodox ways to make money, like artisan work or part-time work. Yangs UBI also includes a huge boost to trade schools as well, which would help to increase the number of self-employed people doing difficult to automate work. Your standards for success also seem rather bizarre. You complain about the Alaskan trial not leading to people leaving their jobs, and then complain about the Finnish one not leading to people working more. Which is your standard for a successful UBI program? Because both are exactly what I would expect: increased happiness, reduced anxiety and stress, a bit more part time work, but no huge change in standard, old-fashioned employment.
My standard is that it increases freedom in what people want to do. This can be seen with surveys to find out why people quit their jobs and see if UBI actually gave them enough to quit the job that they didn't like in order to get a job that they dislike. In order to have a fair number to start off with the same or another credible source would have to find the number of people unsatisfied with their job. Yes this is based on economy but I think it is the most important in a capitalist system.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
A government is bad with money by definition, because there is no real controlling factor aside from elections, which are easily manipulatable.
You can't prove this but I will still ask for evidence.
I don't support single payer because I think that the government will be more efficient, I support it because private insurance companies are evil, vampiric middlemen who contribute absolute zero positive things to health care while obscuring pricing signals and hiding the true costs of our ridiculous healthcare system, then slurping a huge cut for themselves off the top of the whole mess. They deserve to die, and while I would prefer to see their executives executed by firing squad I will settle for seeing their companies dismantled.
So basically a lesser of two evils instead of what is helpful. Would you say if you were in the position of milking money from the working class you won't do it? Why do you want to kill them for exploiting a system that caters to exploitation? Surely it is not their fault  for playing by the rules. They are a product of a system not the reason the system is like as it is.
... that actually proves my point. People, I imagine retired people and mothers, got part time jobs because the 1k a year put them in a more comfortable position. But then again I'd have to see more statistics as there are a lot of confounding variables. But once again; a huge number of people dropping out of employment wouldn't be a good thing. That's not what UBI is meant to do; it's meant to supplement a full time or part time wage. As automation-driven unemployment increases, the UBI could be raised. 
This contradicts what you said here:
Alaska gives people roughly 1k A YEAR. That's not enough to supplement part time work, but it does help people pay down debts and invest a bit in the local economy. So I wouldn't expect that effect to show up.
Do tell me if I don't see how both of them can be correct.
Why don't you think that?
I don't 1k a month is enough to support a person to change their job that they don't like. From the link below it says 85% hate their jobs. I would say it is the fault of the capitalist system and I don't think 1k would be enough to have people simply quitting their job and doing something they would like more.
Yeah, it's up to them to make themselves wealthy. This just gives everyone a leg up.
Do you have evidence to say by simply giving people money would mean they will use it wisely?
It's basic economics. Consumer economies drive economic growth, and handing people money creates a consumer economy.
What is so good about GDP when wage stagnation is more important?
...once again, this is just basic logic. Poverty is defined as a lack of wealth. Giving people money by definition fights poverty. This is an improvement of the system. There are claims that you don't ask for 'evidence' for because they are self-evident.
It is not 1k they will be out of poverty. It would be for people who need 1k or less to remove themselves from poverty. Do you have a number on how many people this can help get out of poverty versus how many people will still be in poverty? 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
He says he will cut taxes for middle class but more taxes were cut for the rich.
So I can understand, in the current context we have debt to pay off, and greater tax cuts at the high end of income essentially shield some people from that burden, arguably unfair.  I have to ask though, what do you have against tax cuts?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
So I can understand, in the current context we have debt to pay off, and greater tax cuts at the high end of income essentially shield some people from that burden, arguably unfair.  I have to ask though, what do you have against tax cuts?
My problem was that he said a bill was for tax cuts for the middle class but his cut the rich more than the middle class. 

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
My problem was that he said a bill was for tax cuts for the middle class but his cut the rich more than the middle class. 
I suppose its the fraudulent motive then, but the middle class did get tax cuts for the time being.  Do you likewise have an issue when people with high income have a greater increase in taxes than the middle class?  "tax increases for the rich"

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
 Do you likewise have an issue when people with high income have a greater increase in taxes than the middle class?
If someone specifically says they do something for someone but it actually help someone else more would be something I dislike.  

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
This is based on the assumption that the inflation rate won't increase and the people who need it the most will use the money rationally? The only way you can prove inflation rate won't increase is to provide a trial that also gave people 1k a month. Didn't realise Alaska got 1k a year. How about Finland?
How does it improve negotiating power? I think it is fair to say most people carry on with their job because of the healthcare they. 

All the real world instances that I know of are accounted from something of considerable value, like a publicly owned resource

All studies that I know of simply redistributing fiat are not oriented towards economics in real world application, but rather effects that result from transitioning to a theoretical UBI like adapting to free money, behavior, and stress.   My experience has been that in a functional state, it does not make a whole lot of tangible difference in the studies, but of significance is that I have not seen a study in which sloth became a pervasive issue, suggesting that impersonal welfare may not translate to an endorsement of counter productivity in itself.  Although, the studies did not account for multigenerational implications.  The results typically indicated that people go on about their lives, and a significant amount report a higher quality in some intangibles, or less stress.
Snoopy
Snoopy
If there is an economic advantage, it would likely lie in a prospectively streamlined legal system, and a healthier populous. Notably, the lower class may be able to sustain a more relevant market.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Snoopy
I mean it's the rich people that create jobs, not the middle class. So if you have to bribe the middle class with a taxcut to get them to look the other way while you purchase jobs with tax cuts for the rich, then it's totally justified.

There is no free anything. Consequences exist. If you want to tax the rich at confiscatory rates, it is going to cost the country jobs. The tradeoff is you can have a big bloated government running everything and be unemployed...or you can have the opposite.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Snoopy
UBI would be a lot more acceptable if it didn't discourage charity within the community.  If under a certain threshold of income, people could opt out and get full tax refunds for their charity, what have you, this would make a lot more sense to a lot more people.
I think that this is entirely wrongheaded; how do you figure that it discourages charity? I would certainly give more if I had more to give. To my church, and to the poor in general.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Greyparrot
I mean it's the rich people that create jobs, not the middle class. So if you have to bribe the middle class with a taxcut to get them to look the other way while you purchase jobs with tax cuts for the rich, then it's totally justified.

There is no free anything. Consequences exist. If you want to tax the rich at confiscatory rates, it is going to cost the country jobs. The tradeoff is you can have a big bloated government running everything and be unemployed...or you can have the opposite.
Not true at all. We have a largest consumer market in the world by a mile. If people want to sell stuff here, then they have to essentially do whatever we want. We simply let them get away with this because our politicians and policymakers are loyal to multinational corporations and don't represent the will of the people. No sane company is going to cut themselves out of a 13 trillion dollar consumer market in order to save money on taxes.

The idea that rich people 'create jobs' is also, imo, dumb. 'Jobs' are created when someone is willing to labor to create something of value through the application of skills; someone else owning the means of production is acting as a parasitic gatekeeper between labor and production, not the wellspring of production. Even if you're talking about innovation, that creates wealth, not jobs. In fact, it destroys jobs as efficiency increases. It's fine, of course, to increase efficiency, but it's not in the interest of the working class to bend over and take whatever the rich choose to give them. It's in their interests to organize and take either political or violent action to secure a share of the proceeds of more efficient production.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Lol..again..the middle class isn't the main provider of paychecks in the present economy from one person in exchange for another person's labor. The people who sign paychecks matter. If you want the economy to be run by a bunch of middle income mini-entrepreneurs, you'll have to use government force to make it happen, because most people in the middle-income bracket are NOT willing to take the associated risk of not being able to sell their own products on the market from their own labor. A risk free paycheck is the overwhelming preferred choice.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
I look at the economy like like bookies at a racetrack. Rich people line up to deal with the bookies and racers, who get a guaranteed risk-free cut from every bet placed and every race raced. Some of the rich people lose money and some gain money. The bookies and the racers get the same amount no matter what the rich people win or lose.

One day the bookies and the racers say they want more than their guaranteed cut, and they are going to take it from the rich people who won at the racetrack. The rich people say the risk isn't worth the reward, so they stop going to the racetrack. The bookies and the racers now have no job. The bookies and the racers also refuse to risk their own money the same way the rich people did at the racetrack. The bookies and the racers are now generationally poor with a racetrack of plenty of labor, but nobody to sell it to.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
All the real world instances that I know of are accounted from something of considerable value, like a publicly owned resource

All studies that I know of simply redistributing fiat are not oriented towards economics in real world application, but rather effects that result from transitioning to a theoretical UBI like adapting to free money, behavior, and stress.   My experience has been that in a functional state, it does not make a whole lot of tangible difference in the studies, but of significance is that I have not seen a study in which sloth became a pervasive issue, suggesting that impersonal welfare may not translate to an endorsement of counter productivity in itself.  Although, the studies did not account for multigenerational implications.  The results typically indicated that people go on about their lives, and a significant amount report a higher quality in some intangibles, or less stress.
I don't know. If you have evidence from a reliable source I might check it out.