"Religious Freedom" = Discrimination = Hate

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 737
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
What exactly does someone who observes traditional marriage need protection FROM?
The government, apparantly
Traditional marriage is not "under attack".

Nobody has proposed banning traditional marriage.
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
-->
@Snoopy
I guess we have a fundamentally different view, I don't understand what you mean or how the OP intimates that somehow traditional marriage requires protection from the government, there is literally nothing threatening it. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
So, in the OP, people who observe traditional marriage might be called a protected group.
And they should be served with respect by any business that is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.

According to the Civil Rights Act, Americans are "protected" from certain types of discrimination based on characteristics.  The protected group is "American". 
Ok?

Actually, if everyone is protected who currently resides in the jurisdiction of the United States, there are no protected classes.
Everyone has a "race" everyone has an "age" everyone has a "sex" and most people have some sort of "creed".

You can still discriminate based on OTHER qualifications (no shirt, no shoes).

If the law protects everyone from hate and exclusion (based on their raceagesexcreed), then only the hateful and prejudiced will be punished by the law.

If your creed is hateful and prejudiced then I guess you're SOL and should OPEN A PRIVATE CLUB.
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@ludofl3x
I guess we have a fundamentally different view, I don't understand what you mean or how the OP intimates that somehow traditional marriage requires protection from the government, there is literally nothing threatening it. 
If you look at the religious freedom bill, it formalizes marriage.  Its not that we have a different view.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Snoopy
Then I guess my question "why would it need to be protected" ought to be directed at someone else, I thought you were saying you believed traditional marriage requires protection from something. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
So, in the OP, people who observe traditional marriage might be called a protected group.
And they should be served with respect by any business that is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.

I think people should be respectful while conducting private business as well.  

According to the Civil Rights Act, Americans are "protected" from certain types of discrimination based on characteristics.  The protected group is "American". 
Ok?
Is this difficult for you to grasp?  You literally asked for a distinction.  This is part of the distinction.
Actually, if everyone is protected who currently resides in the jurisdiction of the United States, there are no protected classes.
Everyone has a "race" everyone has an "age" everyone has a "sex" and most people have some sort of "creed".

If the law protects everyone from hate and exclusion (based on their raceagesexcreed), then only the hateful and prejudiced will be punished by the law.
Whether that is the case or not, your judgement of character is not the basis for civil rights law.  The Civil Rights Act is not justified by hate.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@ludofl3x

The OP references a "religious freedom" bill that specifically formalizes marriage.  I clearly did not state that a union of any sort needs protection from the government.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Snoopy
RIght, I said I must be reading you wrong, my bad. Although gay marriage needs protection from state agencies or insurance companies deciding they don't want to recognize a gay couple's beneficiary status or issue a gay couple the same marriage license that a straight couple would be bale to get without objection. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
The OP references a "religious freedom" bill that specifically formalizes marriage.  I clearly did not state that a union of any sort needs protection from the government.
So "traditional marriage" is not "under attack"? [POST#718]
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
Ok?
Is this difficult for you to grasp?  You literally asked for a distinction.  This is part of the distinction.
The distinction between what and what exactly?  Are you saying there's some important difference between "protected group" and "protected class"?

Whether that is the case or not, your judgement of character is not the basis for civil rights law.  The Civil Rights Act is not justified by hate.
Nobody's judging anyone's character.

I'm suggesting that hate, threats of violence and exclusion should not be "protected".

I'm suggesting that hate, threats of violence and exclusion should be punished (if your business or organization is open-to-the-public).
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
The Civil Rights Act is not justified by hate.
Please explain.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
It is too complicated for a simple answer. I suggest studying it with guidance from The Church. 
I bet they've got great kool-aid.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Better than the kool-aid you are drinking.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Better than the kool-aid you are drinking.
That's what I'm saying...
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
We actually drink wine.

Or we take shots, talk about God, and read writings of the saints.

Our religion is about loving The Truth because of what it is, and loving humanity because being endowed with reason, they are made in the image of The Truth.

What is wrong with this? It is a good thing.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
In summary,

"The Bible" says nothing about gay wedding cakes.

Artists can't be compelled to create art (free speech) for anyone they find creepy.

Vaccinated kids don't need to fear anti-vaccers and anti-vaccers shouldn't be banned from public spaces.

If you want an abortion, you should join a religion that makes it mandatory in some way so you can claim "religious freedom".

School vouchers are a great idea as long as everyone gets the EXACT same dollar amount per voucher per pupil - including home schoolers.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Abortion is not a religious freedom issue any more than theft.

And sacrificing a child to the god of convenience sure sounds like a religious reason to me.