free will

Author: keithprosser

Total: 712
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@TwoMan
What necessary function does freewill perform in your worldview?
Do I really need to explain the functionality of being able to choose between 2 or more possible courses of action?
You can choose between 2 or more possible courses of action - WITHOUT - freewill.

There is no utility in imagining that you, yourself can magically and inexplicably violate causality (in a non-random fashion).
TwoMan
Debates: 0
TwoMan
-->
@3RU7AL
You can choose between 2 or more possible courses of action - WITHOUT - freewill.
Choosing between 2 or more courses of action is the definition of free will.

TwoMan
TwoMan
Honestly, this debate should not be about the term "free will" but about the verb "to choose". Are choices directed by subjective human minds with the ability to change the outcome of a causal chain or by external physical forces of which we have no control or possibly both? If you say that we can choose between 2 courses of action without free will then what does it mean to choose?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TwoMan
Choosing between 2 or more courses of action is the definition of free will.
Based on this rudimentary definition, do you believe that sorting robots have freewill?
TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@3RU7AL
Based on this rudimentary definition, do you believe that sorting robots have freewill?
As I have already answered this question, I will again say no, it is not identical to but similar to a human choice.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TwoMan
"...the ability to change the outcome of a causal chain..."
Your mind (and body) is inevitably PART OF the causal chain.  Your mind (and body) are affected by and motivated by the causal chain (with perhaps a pinch of non-causal randomness that is randomly produced by random stuff at random times and thus, NOT part of your will).

To say you have "the ability to change the outcome of a causal chain" is to deny the origins of and existence of your instincts and desires and physical and mental capacities.

You are conflating your imagination with actual fact.

When you imagine a "different outcome", that is pure imagination.

What actually happens is actual fact. [LINK]
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TwoMan
As I have already answered this question, I will again say no, it is not identical to but similar to a human choice.
Ok, right, were you suggesting that (human) emotions (Qualia) are the magic element that sparks freewill into existence?

Or were you simply suggesting that because human decision making is "so complicated" (an appeal to ignorance, like god in the gaps) that it must, for unspecified reasons, be "special"?
TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@3RU7AL
To say you have "the ability to change the outcome of a causal chain" is to deny the origins of and existence of your instincts and desires and physical and mental capacities.
I don't see it that way. I accept the origins of those things as part of the process. I just don't believe that there is only one possible outcome to a series of events. Subjective human minds direct the series of events to a desired outcome. The origins of human thoughts and desires are only indirectly responsible for the eventual choice. To say that the origins of our desires are solely responsible for our choices minimizes the ability of a human mind to process that data and mix in other variables such as emotion and intent. And yes, in a way, it is "special" unless you know of any other life form that can compare to that of a human brain.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TwoMan
I just don't believe that there is only one possible outcome to a series of events. 
(IFF) you are part of a causal chain (THEN) every outcome is determined by previous causes with some possibly random influences that may maintain some fundamental unpredictability.

This is indeterminism.

Humans have developed a prefrontal cortex that allows for complex pattern identification which includes some limited ability to predict future events.

This ability is part of, and not separate from, the causal chain.
TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@3RU7AL
(IFF) you are part of a causal chain (THEN) every outcome is determined by previous causes with some possibly random influences that may maintain some fundamental unpredictability.
I agree but would word this sentence thus...

(IFF) you are part of a causal chain (THEN) every outcome is determined by previous causes with some subjectively human influences that may maintain some fundamental unpredictability."

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TwoMan
I agree but would word this sentence thus...

(IFF) you are part of a causal chain (THEN) every outcome is determined by previous causes with some subjectively human influences that may maintain some fundamental unpredictability."
Do you believe that subjectively human influences are part of the causal chain?

Do you believe that subjectively human influences are indistinguishable from random?

If you can imagine a third alternative, please let me know.
TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@3RU7AL
Do you believe that subjectively human influences are part of the causal chain?
Yes.

Do you believe that subjectively human influences are indistinguishable from random?
No.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TwoMan
Do you believe that subjectively human influences are part of the causal chain?
Yes.

Do you believe that subjectively human influences are indistinguishable from random?
No.
I agree with you 100%.

Why can't you throw freewill onto the heap with all of the other superstitious nonsense?
TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@3RU7AL
I understand what you mean. I am just more inclined to believe that the phenomenon that I (and every human on earth) experience is closer to the truth than not. Smarter people than me have a similar view such as that expressed by Daniel Dennett who says...

"The model of decision making I am proposing, has the following feature: when we are faced with an important decision, a consideration-generator whose output is to some degree undetermined produces a series of considerations, some of which may of course be immediately rejected as irrelevant by the agent (consciously or unconsciously). Those considerations that are selected by the agent as having a more than negligible bearing on the decision then figure in a reasoning process, and if the agent is in the main reasonable, those considerations ultimately serve as predictors and explicators of the agent's final decision."

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@TwoMan
note dennett said 'important decisions'.  i'm sure DD is right - we can think logically about important decision to come up with a rational course of action.   i am far more interested in trivial choices where cold logic plays little part - tea or coffee with breakfast for instance.    i don't think Dennett's model is helpful in such cases.

Returning to #575,

As I have already answered this question, I will again say no, it is not identical to but--> @3RU7AL

I think a sorting machine is very unlike a human.  If i want to know if a mail sorting machine will send a letter left or right i only have to examine the post code on the envelope.  I can ignore the details of the machine completely.   But if i want to know whether Twoman will say he wants tea or  coffee I would have to have an enormous amount of information about him - his history, his habits, his preferences and even then it would be a guess until he tells me!  If an envelope is addressed to croydon, the sorting machine has no choice - it will route it to croydon.   But twoman can can choose tea, coffee or vodka. So I dispute 'similar to a human choice.'.

TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@keithprosser
i am far more interested in trivial choices where cold logic plays little part - i don't think Dennett's model is helpful in such cases.
That's true but it may be somewhat applicable to trivial decisions too. I just wanted to show another opinion that expressed the general view that I support.

the sorting machine has no choice so I dispute 'similar to a human choice.
I meant similar in appearance or outcome only. A machine can sort left and it can sort right. In the sense that it has two options it is similar. Of course it will only choose based on its specific programing, not by preference, emotion, intent, desire or rational thought.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
The very idea that someone can choose to be something other than the shitbag they ended up becoming out of their own life choices must be obnoxious to the defeatist.

Cool thing is, we can always choose to grow up. To do better. It is amazing what can be accomplished through sustained effort and some humility.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TwoMan
I meant similar in appearance or outcome only. A machine can sort left and it can sort right. In the sense that it has two options it is similar. Of course it will only choose based on its specific programing, not by preference, emotion, intent, desire or rational thought.
How do preference, emotion, intent, desire or rational thought free you from choosing based on your specific proprogramming?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TwoMan
"The model of decision making I am proposing, has the following feature: when we are faced with an important decision, a consideration-generator whose output is to some degree undetermined produces a series of considerations, some of which may of course be immediately rejected as irrelevant by the agent (consciously or unconsciously). Those considerations that are selected by the agent as having a more than negligible bearing on the decision then figure in a reasoning process, and if the agent is in the main reasonable, those considerations ultimately serve as predictors and explicators of the agent's final decision."
What you're describing here is a simple matter of scale and complexity.  None of this violates cause-and-effect + randomness.

You are confusing unpredictability with freedom.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
I think a sorting machine is very unlike a human.  If i want to know if a mail sorting machine will send a letter left or right i only have to examine the post code on the envelope.  I can ignore the details of the machine completely.   But if i want to know whether Twoman will say he wants tea or  coffee I would have to have an enormous amount of information about him - his history, his habits, his preferences and even then it would be a guess until he tells me!  If an envelope is addressed to croydon, the sorting machine has no choice - it will route it to croydon.   But twoman can can choose tea, coffee or vodka. So I dispute 'similar to a human choice.'.
What you're describing here is a simple matter of scale and complexity.  None of this violates cause-and-effect + randomness.

You are confusing unpredictability with freedom.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TwoMan
I understand what you mean. I am just more inclined to believe that the phenomenon [EMOTION] that I (and every human on earth) experience is closer to the truth than not. 
I don't deny the Qualitative emotion of freewill.

I'm simply pointing out that it is a mistake to imagine that we can "change" the future.

We are part of the causal chain and our "choices" are also part of the causal chain and the "future" is the result of the causal chain (with some possible random noise randomly injected into the process).

We are guided by our desires (programming) and our desires are dictated (inscribed upon us) by our biology and primary experiences (and some random noise).
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TwoMan
I understand what you mean. I am just more inclined to believe that the phenomenon [EMOTION] that I (and every human on earth) experience is closer to the truth than not.
You're actually mirroring probably the best argument in support of belief in god(s).

I feel god(s) love in my heart and so does every human on earth and that's how I know that god(s) are really really realz.

The emotion is "real" but the logic (non-random violation of causal chain) doesn't add-up.

This is known as compatibilism.

Compatibilists often define an instance of "free will" as one in which the agent had freedom to act according to their own motivation. That is, the agent was not coerced or restrained. Arthur Schopenhauer famously said, "Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills."[11]

In other words, although an agent may often be free to act according to a motive, the nature of that motive is determined. Also note that this definition of free will does not rely on the truth or falsity of causal determinism.[2] This view also makes free will close to autonomy, the ability to live according to one's own rules, as opposed to being submitted to external domination. [LINK]
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Violating causality as you understand it =/= violating causality.

Free will is not simply an emotion. It is accepting the reality that you don't have to be a shitlord for the rest of your life. You can always do better! 

That's pretty good news really. 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Violating causality as you understand it =/= violating causality.
Please explain.

Free will is not simply an emotion.
Please explain.

It is accepting the reality that you don't have to be a shitlord for the rest of your life. You can always do better!
This is an emotional appeal and opinion stated as fact. 

That's pretty good news really. 
Affirming the consequent.  Motivated reasoning. [LINK]
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
You are not a robot.

Mopac
Mopac

It is accepting the reality that you don't have to be a shitlord for the rest of your life. You can always do better!
This is an emotional appeal and opinion stated as fact.

No it isn't. It is a fact that we can reprogram our minds, and turn around from being a punk to a better person.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@secularmerlin
How do preference, emotion, intent, desire or rational thought free you from choosing based on your specific proprogramming?
But why on earth would I want the power to choose what I don't desire?   A mail sorting machine is a glorified sieve that lets small grains through and blocks larger grains.   Sieves have no desire to distinguish between large and small grains - they do not choose.   If there are common features between how sieves work and how human choice works they seem less important and less interesting to how sieves and people are different.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
No it isn't. It is a fact that we can reprogram our minds, and turn around from being a punk to a better person.

Or, in my case,vice versa!
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
Oi oi the establishment!
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@keithprosser
If there are common features between how sieves work and how human choice works they seem less important and less interesting to how sieves and people are different.
One quantifiable difference is that brains are more complicated and sifts chemicals and electrical signals rather than sand.