Religion or Science?

Author: Paul

Total: 152
Goldtop
Debates: 0
Goldtop
-->
@RoderickSpode
The smaller churches would have a problem paying taxes while carrying out their community work
Churches always have an agenda to convert those they allegedly try to help, they should be closed down in favor of places that have no such agenda.

Churches of various sorts have sprung up and apparently exploited the privilege originally given to charitable churches in America.
Yes. to the tune of some bilions of dollars in lost revenues that could be used for places of community work that have no agendas to convert people.

You don't have to lie, Rod, everyone knows it's all about converting people to Christianity and very little to do about helping others. Those churches need to be shut down.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Goldtop

Churches always have an agenda to convert those they allegedly try to help, they should be closed down in favor of places that have no such agenda.
No. I went to a church in an urban area that fed the local vicinity. They have a food bank as one of their services where they simply hand out food to those who ask. This is one of the common church services held throughout the country in big city urban areas. I wouldn't suggest going into one of these neighborhoods and telling their residences churches that help them should be shut down.

But even if such a silly thing happened, if we limited it to places with no such agenda as you put it, we'd have to exclude atheist activist organizations. But maybe you can fill me in on what type of places are you talking about?

Why don't you start such a place?

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Goldtop
Yes. to the tune of some bilions of dollars in lost revenues that could be used for places of community work that have no agendas to convert people.
Which places?

You don't have to lie, Rod, everyone knows it's all about converting people to Christianity and very little to do about helping others. Those churches need to be shut down.
Fortunately Goldtop, we don't live in a Nazi-type dictatorship. And I look on the positive side and am confident this won't happen anytime soon.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I love the new atheist talking point: I hated that Notre Dame caught fire so I can't be a bigot to theists. LOL
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@RoderickSpode
But even if such a silly thing happened, if we limited it to places with no such agenda as you put it, we'd have to exclude atheist activist organizations. But maybe you can fill me in on what type of places are you talking about?
Goodwill
Rotary
Foundation Beyond Belief
Engineers Without Borders
Doctors Without Borders
Unicef
Wheelchair Foundation
PlanUSA

All of these charity organizations (and many more) can do what your churches do and much much more, all without the threat of being converted to Christianity. And, there aren't thousands of denominations of each organization fighting each other over what brand of Christianity is right and what others are to be converted. Once closed down, the buildings and land could be used to house homeless folks. Win win all around.

Fortunately Goldtop, we don't live in a Nazi-type dictatorship.
Yes, we are, Trump and Republican Party are in power and we know how much Trump loves Nazi's.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
Poly, It's good to see you haven't lost your touch for total fabrication, paranoia and non sequitur. Top of your game! 
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Goldtop

Goodwill
Rotary
Foundation Beyond Belief
Engineers Without Borders
Doctors Without Borders
Unicef
Wheelchair Foundation
PlanUSA

All of these charity organizations (and many more) can do what your churches do and much much more, all without the threat of being converted to Christianity. And, there aren't thousands of denominations of each organization fighting each other over what brand of Christianity is right and what others are to be converted. Once closed down, the buildings and land could be used to house homeless folks. Win win all around.

These organizations are fine, and do wonderful work. You live in a fantasy if you think they're enough. I bet most of the people in those organizations understand that, and appreciate the work local churches do. I don't think they'd appreciate being placed on a false pedestal as anti-religeous role models.

I wouldn't claim you don't care about the poor and needy, but it's crystal clear that you're more concerned about whether or not someone receiving
help decides to attend church, and/or become a Christian. This is what is going to continue to drive militant atheists up the wall. People are always going to examine, consider, convert to religion. Some may become theists, some polytheists, some deists, etc. No one thinks militant atheists and activists are particularly intelligent. There are brilliant atheists no doubt. But collectively, the core messages being extended by activist orgs doesn't impress too many in the real world. This is probably why atheist activists are relatively invisible in the political arena. It's not because of some outdated unpracticed law in a few states.

And it's not really clear if you're talking about closing mega churches or all churches including small store front churches in urban areas. I think you understood when I said the services provided are without evangelizing. They don't mandate anyone to attend church. But I think you're including small urban churches in your totalitarian scenario because even if they don't say anything, since they're charity run by churches we all know what
they believe.

And the Christians fighting each other is one of the stupidest arguments some atheists make. I wish some of these silly arguments could get placed on a higher platform where they can get properly sifted out the logic and reasoning arena. I'd be happy to get into it if you want (and Ludo often joins in the fun), but I'll leave it at that for now.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Goldtop
Fortunately Goldtop, we don't live in a Nazi-type dictatorship.
Yes, we are, Trump and Republican Party are in power and we know how much Trump loves Nazi's.

Yes, the inevitable Trump card.

No, I'm fully confident that Trump is not going to turn America into a Nazi-type dictatorship. Republican is not a Christian political party. Most Americans identify with a Christian denomination, so just as probably most Trump supporters are Christians, the same holds true with Obama and the Democratic party. Most of Obama's supporters were Christians.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@RoderickSpode
And the Christians fighting each other is one of the stupidest arguments some atheists make. I wish some of these silly arguments could get placed on a higher platform where they can get properly sifted out the logic and reasoning arena. I'd be happy to get into it if you want (and Ludo often joins in the fun), but I'll leave it at that for now.

I'm still waiting for some other topic you proposed starting, but I'm game for any discussion that doesn't involve name calling around here. THey're few and far between. 

People are always going to examine, consider, convert to religion. Some may become theists, some polytheists, some deists, etc. No one thinks militant atheists and activists are particularly intelligent. There are brilliant atheists no doubt. But collectively, the core messages being extended by activist orgs doesn't impress too many in the real world. This is probably why atheist activists are relatively invisible in the political arena. It's not because of some outdated unpracticed law in a few states. 
Atheists are a vanishingly small minority and are poorly funded. That's why they're invisible in the political arena. There are way too many religious votes to risk if you're going to just say "Well, all you religious folks are just gullible rubes." It's not politically prudent, and it explains why most politicians never talk in public about HOW they practice their faith, they only talk about the things those that practice care about. THere's no special level of intelligence required to, say, identify that gay people should be able to get married and enjoy the benefits of being married: people are people and in a country where freedom of choice and equality of all are supposedly pillar tenets, there's no reason to say their version of love doesn't qualify. The ONLY reason I've ever heard to object to such unions is religious in nature, and it's not unique to Christianity. It's politically prudent...do you think for one second a Ted Cruz or a Joe Kennedy really thinks their own marriage is somehow invalidated by Adam and Steve getting married? Not even a little. What they do think is that their constituency of bible thumping rubes thinks that's a threat to them somehow, so they do the politically expedient thing and oppose it, knowing there's no cost to them: the gay vote isn't as big as the Christian vote. 

I do love that you still seem to be inventing these shadow "atheist activist cabals" that are nameless and invisible though. Never change Rod! :)

And if small storefront churches provide services without any tether to faith, hey, great...then why not just stop doing the faith stuff and just be a charity? You're kidding yourself if you don't think they want to lure in new followers, I'm glad homeless people are being served, sure, but religious organizations all over the world preach against vaccines and birth control...just ask Africa.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@RoderickSpode
These organizations are fine, and do wonderful work. You live in a fantasy if you think they're enough. I bet most of the people in those organizations understand that, and appreciate the work local churches do.
Those people aren't stupid, Rod, they don't appreciate the work churches do at all for the very same reason everyone understands, that they are only in it to convert others to Christianity. This is common knowledge and the only folks who deny it are the Christians.

militant atheists
You're being dishonest again, there's no such thing driving non-religious charity organizations, but you're only to happy to say such things so you can pretend to be the victims here.

People are always going to examine, consider, convert to religion.
Far less people will be converted if the churches weren't there to deceive them into pretending they're helping them.

No one thinks militant atheists and activists are particularly intelligent.
You're lying again.

And the Christians fighting each other is one of the stupidest arguments some atheists make.
You will never be able to support that claim for the simple reason that there are tens of thousands of denominations fighting each other over who has the best brand of Christianity, that is by far one the stupidest things about Christianity. You can't even agree with each other let alone anyone else.

But we all know what this about, Rod, so you don't have to feign ignorance. It's not about helping others, it's all about having your cake and eating it too. You want to have your church so you can go there to re-affirm your indoctrination and take your family there so you can indoctrinate your children. Without the local churches, that would pretty hard to do and the Clergy knows that, hence the reason churches have to continue to exist.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@RoderickSpode
No, I'm fully confident that Trump is not going to turn America into a Nazi-type dictatorship
We're already there, he is a dictator and he loves nazis because that's how he rules. He doesn't have brains in his head so he's forced to behave like a dictator. This will all come out in the wash and folks like yourself who supported Trump will be the most humiliated folks on the planet. Actually, you probably already are.

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@RoderickSpode
Most of Obama's supporters were Christians.
And, that's because the vast majority of Americans are Christian, Rod? Lol.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ludofl3x
I'm still waiting for some other topic you proposed starting, but I'm game for any discussion that doesn't involve name calling around here. THey're few and far between. 
I think you're thinking of a comment I made in another thread. It seemed at the time that the conversation was leading into a different topic, but as we continued on I felt we were covering what I might in another thread. At least it seemed so. Plus, i wouldn't want to start a thread where there might be name calling.

Atheists are a vanishingly small minority and are poorly funded. That's why they're invisible in the political arena. There are way too many religious votes to risk if you're going to just say "Well, all you religious folks are just gullible rubes." It's not politically prudent, and it explains why most politicians never talk in public about HOW they practice their faith, they only talk about the things those that practice care about. THere's no special level of intelligence required to, say, identify that gay people should be able to get married and enjoy the benefits of being married: people are people and in a country where freedom of choice and equality of all are supposedly pillar tenets, there's no reason to say their version of love doesn't qualify.

The ONLY reason I've ever heard to object to such unions is religious in nature, and it's not unique to Christianity. It's politically prudent...do you think for one second a Ted Cruz or a Joe Kennedy really thinks their own marriage is somehow invalidated by Adam and Steve getting married? Not even a little. What they do think is that their constituency of bible thumping rubes thinks that's a threat to them somehow, so they do the politically expedient thing and oppose it, knowing there's no cost to them: the gay vote isn't as big as the Christian vote.
I also hear the opposite (from mostly atheists) that atheism is growing. And what do you mean by poorly funded? Was Jessie Ventura poorly funded?

I don't get the reference to Ted Cruz or a Joe Kennedy. It almost looks like you're saying they're in a same sex marriage. But that couldn't be the case I'm sure.

I do love that you still seem to be inventing these shadow "atheist activist cabals" that are nameless and invisible though. Never change Rod! :)
it's odd I get challenged on this sometimes. I can't imagine why. You've never heard of atheist activist groups like The American Atheists?

And if small storefront churches provide services without any tether to faith, hey, great...then why not just stop doing the faith stuff and just be a charity? You're kidding yourself if you don't think they want to lure in new followers, I'm glad homeless people are being served, sure, but religious

organizations all over the world preach against vaccines and birth control...just ask Africa.
What do you mean by stop doing the faith stuff?

May I have examples of religious organizations preaching against vaccines and birth control?
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Goldtop
Those people aren't stupid, Rod, they don't appreciate the work churches do at all for the very same reason everyone understands, that they are only in it to convert others to Christianity. This is common knowledge and the only folks who deny it are the Christians.
Most of what you listed I think are humanist organizations. At least one of them for sure (Foundation Beyond Belief), so depending on their sentiments towards religion, they may take that outlook. UNICEF probably has many Christian volunteers, but irregardless I don't think The UN has the same mindset as militant atheists. The other problem is that The Goodwill is a Christian organization. I did notice you were being cautious about who you included (like the YMCA), so I don't know if you didn't know The Goodwill started out as a ministry (and still is), or included them so you wouldn't look like you were limiting the list to humanist groups.

Humanist groups work in the same network as atheist activist groups. They have an agenda. Yes, they are looking for conversions (to atheism). If you're going to make a list of pure charity orgs, you cannot include humanist groups. They're as religious as any other group. Their religion is anti-religion (or culturally modified religion in a more PC sense).

You're being dishonest again, there's no such thing driving non-religious charity organizations, but you're only to happy to say such things so you can pretend to be the victims here.
I didn't say militant atheists are driving non-religious charity organizations. For one, not all non-religious organizations are associated with humanist

and atheist organizations. Or are you objecting to the term militant atheists?

Far less people will be converted if the churches weren't there to deceive them into pretending they're helping them.
I seriously think you'd rather see someone starve to death than be converted.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Goldtop

You're lying again.
Well, militant atheists do tend to think they're intelligent. Not really lying, but forgot to mention that one point. Or is your issue about whether or not there are actually militant atheists?

You will never be able to support that claim for the simple reason that there are tens of thousands of denominations fighting each other over who has the best brand of Christianity, that is by far one the stupidest things about Christianity. You can't even agree with each other let alone anyone else.
Here's a test you can take for yourself to see if you're lying. Imagine explaining this to someone from a small country in the middle east region who knows nothing about America. You know full well that this person understands religious fighting to mean blood shedding. As in war. As in military combat. You know full well this person will understand you to mean Christians in America are fighting each other with grenades and guns. Do you really think you would bother to correct such a notion? That what you call fighting is actually disagreement? From what I've seen with your relentless spin-doctoring, I seriously doubt it. Because you want to give the most absolute worst impression of Christianity you can muster together. Even at the
expense of honesty.

By the way, politicians don't agree with each other. Even within the same party. Scientists don't agree with each other. Atheists don't agree with each other for crying out loud.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Goldtop
We're already there, he is a dictator and he loves nazis because that's how he rules. He doesn't have brains in his head so he's forced to behave like a dictator. This will all come out in the wash and folks like yourself who supported Trump will be the most humiliated folks on the planet. Actually, you probably already are.
There's one slight problem with your theory. Although slight it completely demolishes your theory.

I NEVER SUPPORTED TRUMP.

And, that's because the vast majority of Americans are Christian, Rod? Lol.
Aren't Lol's usually followed up with (or mentioned prior with) an explanation as to why it's there?

I'm not even sure what you're objecting to.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@RoderickSpode
Most of what you listed I think are humanist organizations.
They help humans, yes. They're not in it for themselves as the Churches are to get converts.

Humanist groups work in the same network as atheist activist groups. They have an agenda. Yes, they are looking for conversions (to atheism).
Prove that or admit you're lying, because you are lying, again.

Or are you objecting to the term militant atheists?
Of course, but since you're going to use it, I'll use the appropriate term for you and your group: Dumbass Christians.

Yes, that would be something a Dumbass Christian would say.

Well, militant atheists do tend to think they're intelligent.
Dumbass Christians constantly prove that they're not intelligent, yet believe they are.

You know full well that this person understands religious fighting to mean blood shedding. As in war. As in military combat.
Again, prove this or admit you're just making up more bs to defend your argument.

By the way, politicians don't agree with each other
This is as bad as your EU argument in the other thread, they are not the same thing at all.

Scientists don't agree with each other. Atheists don't agree with each other for crying out loud.
So what. Scientists and atheists don't have a God who wrote a book outlining exactly how YOU are supposed to think and behave. This argument has failed miserably Rod, you're just yanking a straws now.

I NEVER SUPPORTED TRUMP.
Well, at least you've got one sensible thing to say.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Goldtop
They help humans, yes. They're not in it for themselves as the Churches are to get converts.
And no where to be found in that low-income urban neighborhood I was talking about.

Prove that or admit you're lying, because you are lying, again.

Foundation Beyond Belief is affiliated with a group called Minnesota Atheists. From there website.

Minnesota Atheists is Minnesota's oldest and largest atheist organization. We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit, educational organization that seeks to promote the positive contributions of atheism to society and to maintain separation of state and church.

They put it a bit more nicely than wikipedia who simply says they promote atheism and secular humanism. But yes, they are promoting atheism. It is not about only being concerned with the poor.

Have you ever read the Humanist Manifesto?

The time has come for widespread recognition of the radical changes in religious beliefs throughout the modern world. The time is past for mere revision of traditional attitudes. Science and economic change have disrupted the old beliefs. Religions the world over are under the necessity of coming to terms with new conditions created by a vastly increased knowledge and experience. In every field of human activity, the vital movement is now in the direction of a candid and explicit humanism. In order that religious humanism may be better understood we, the undersigned, desire to make certain affirmations which we believe the facts of our contemporary life demonstrate.

They're pretty clear that they want people of religion to alter their religious beliefs to conform to the way the want society to be.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Goldtop

Of course, but since you're going to use it, I'll use the appropriate term for you and your group: Dumbass Christians.
As I said, the term originated from a comment Richard Dawkins made concerning calling atheists to militancy. So you can thank good old RD for the term.

Yes, that would be something a Dumbass Christian would say.

But am I wrong?

Dumbass Christians constantly prove that they're not intelligent, yet believe they are.
The term dumbass is just a slightly more adult way of saying I'm stronger than you, or I can beat you up, or my daddy can beat up your daddy, etc.

Although the slightly part might come in to question.

Again, prove this or admit you're just making up more bs to defend your argument.

Absolutely not. This is what you got to prove. Or, at least explain what you mean by fighting? Are you talking weapons, fists, or strictly verbal exchange? Or just disagreement? Yes, there are disagreements in doctrines. (Imagine that). But it's not really clear what your issue is. Is it just the differences in the opinion that you take issue with because for some reason you think Christians have to agree on everything, and your reference to
fighting is hyperbole? Or do you actually think Christians are engaging in denominational warfare?

This is as bad as your EU argument in the other thread, they are not the same thing at all.

What happens in Vegas should stay in Vegas.

So what. Scientists and atheists don't have a God who wrote a book outlining exactly how YOU are supposed to think and behave. This argument

has failed miserably Rod, you're just yanking a straws now.

No, they tend to write their own books on how WE are supposed to think and behave.

Well, at least you've got one sensible thing to say.
Thank you, but I think you deserve all the accolades.

If a sport called The Conclusion Jump should ever get included in the Olympic games, I would strongly suggest you try out.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@RoderickSpode
Or is your issue about whether or not there are actually militant atheists?
Who or what are militant atheists?

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@RoderickSpode
the term originated from a comment Richard Dawkins made
Nope, it's actually a pejorative term bestowed on some atheists by alarmed conservatives and theists. There is no term universally used among atheists themselves. In general, these are atheists who "don't know their place". They're activists, energetically pushing back against the encroachment of religious symbology, beliefs, and legislation into the common space. They file suits against local governments that allow the Ten Commandments to adorn their walls and which endorse manger scenes on their lawns at Christmas. They complain and litigate against prayers opening public business meetings. And so forth. This naturally infuriates the theistic majority, which assumes that they can always retain the power they've enjoyed until now. Consequently they have tried to smear the atheistic efforts by calling them "militant" and styling themselves as innocent victims of overly aggressive troublemakers.

But am I wrong?
You're certainly not right.

The term dumbass
... means you are saying dumb things as I point them out and explain them. Since you're using a pejorative, I'll do the same.

you think Christians have to agree on everything
Of course, they should, if they don't then they are against the word of their God. This is the problem faced by multiple denominations, they show just how stupid they are by deciding what their God says as opposed to what their God demands of them. Christians fail miserably at understanding this simple concept.

No, they tend to write their own books on how WE are supposed to think and behave.
If you refer to scientists, then that's just another really dumb thing to say.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@RoderickSpode
And no where to be found in that low-income urban neighborhood I was talking about.
Is that your neighborhood? Yes, they help people there, Rod.

Beyond Belief is affiliated with a group called Minnesota Atheists
Being affiliated with another group does not define that group. Another really dumb thing to say, Rod.

But yes, they are promoting atheism
Notice that you are talking about some other organization that I did not refer, which means you have created a Strawman Argument, most likely because you can't form a valid argument.

They're pretty clear that they want people of religion to alter their religious beliefs to conform to the way the want society to be.
No, that's what Christianity has demanded of people for centuries. The Humanist Manifesto is a point of view that doesn't require gods and stands as a position of taking responsibility for our actions.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Goldtop
Nope, it's actually a pejorative term bestowed on some atheists by alarmed conservatives and theists. There is no term universally used among atheists themselves. In general, these are atheists who "don't know their place". They're activists, energetically pushing back against the encroachment of religious symbology, beliefs, and legislation into the common space. They file suits against local governments that allow the Ten Commandments to adorn their walls and which endorse manger scenes on their lawns at Christmas. They complain and litigate against prayers opening public business meetings. And so forth. This naturally infuriates the theistic majority, which assumes that they can always retain the power they've enjoyed until now. Consequently they have tried to smear the atheistic efforts by calling them "militant" and styling themselves as innocent victims of overly aggressive troublemakers.
The first word you threw out was nope. But nope to what? Nope meaning Richard Dawkins didn't instigate that term? He most certainly did.

Richard Dawkins is not an American. He didn't know that American atheists would take offense to that term. Of course it's a pejorative........to American atheists. Because that's a label they try to place on Christians. Richard Dawkins also stated that he's not like his American cohorts who would like to see Christian architecture removed. Christians have to stand up against militant atheists. There's some real nutcases out there. It's not just the 10 commandments or prayer in public that militant atheists target. They go after a harmless statue of Jesus on a ski resort somewhere in Montana (meant to honor WWII vets), high school cheerleaders who put scripture on their signs, etc. If they get their panties ruffled over a statue on a ski resort, they're going to foam at the mouth when they see a church in their neighborhood with a welcoming sign for people to visit. So yeah, militant atheists most certainly should expect push backs.

If militant atheists are so concerned with something like a manger scene (this is totally an American atheist thing), why don't they protest something
like Goldie Hawn's MindUp program used in public schools which showcase her Buddhist practices? Or the Confucius Institute that takes habitation in public schools?

You're certainly not right.
I disagree.

WisdomofAges
Debates: 5
WisdomofAges
-->
@Paul
A world without the Comic Book GODS would be truly amazing....as the older generations drop dead the newer ones realize how INSANE these people are who fall on the floor and MURDER for some comic Book God HOAX....and they are determined to RID the Jesus and Allah GOD hoaxes
into the OBSOLETE Comic Book dumpster....

There are many GODS...but not to the JESUS VAMPIRE or the ALLAH VAMPIRE......they want total human domination and slavery....and they MURDER - RAPE - DESTROY using the Jesus and Allah God HOAXES as scapegoats...

Have any GODS been MURDERING and DESTROYING anything since JESUS arrival ?    NO...where are they NOW these GODS ?  especially
JESUS and ALLAH ?   

Oh. that is not important...what matters is that YOU CONVERT and MURDER all who do not accept JESUS or ALLAH...all who do not CONVERT
must be exterminated...

All 1 billion + INDIANS worship other GODS they must be EXTERMINATED...so says ALLAH and JESUS !   and the Chinese also they to must be
EXTERMINATED for not converting...JESUS and ALLAH ?  = human crafted HOAXES....

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
The term dumbass
... means you are saying dumb things as I point them out and explain them. Since you're using a pejorative, I'll do the same.

Well there is a big difference. I think militant atheists are an extreme minority. I use the term to differentiate them from the average atheist, many of them fairly stable-minded people. And to even differentiate them from atheist activists. I actually support activist/empowerment groups of any kind. They're very necessary. Particularly racial and ethnic groups. But they generally strictly seek equality. Militant atheists are not interested in equality in terms of constitutional religious freedom. I mentioned in my prior post about The Confucius Institute and their presence in public schools. I personally have nothing against that. I acknowledge that they are there to promote Chinese culture to Americans. And that's great. But there is still that possibility that some westerners involved in their courses may decide to practice the religion. And again, that's fine, but that's why militant atheists
get panic attacks when seeing a manger. They're afraid someone will convert to Christianity.

The argument against the idea that the Confucius institute may promote it's religious side would probably be that it's of course (no pun intended) there to promote Chinese culture. And, possibly that the wisdom of Confucius is emphasized over it's religion. He's a symbol of human wisdom. But that's how the manger should be (and I think in probably most cases is) a symbol of world peace. Peace on earth, goodwill toward men. And some militant atheists are so nutty they would rather support a statue of Satan on government property even though it'll give very small children nightmares, who would much rather see a nativity scene with a baby, sheep, etc.

Of course, they should, if they don't then they are against the word of their God. This is the problem faced by multiple denominations, they show just how stupid they are by deciding what their God says as opposed to what their God demands of them. Christians fail miserably at understanding this simple concept.
On the contrary, most Christians I know understand that we're not going to agree on everything. This is one of your silliest remarks yet. Have you ever known anyone in the educational or governmental field claim that in any given arena everyone must agree on everything?

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Goldtop
If you refer to scientists, then that's just another really dumb thing to say.
To coin one of your phrases, nope. I was not referring to scientists. I wasn't even presenting a negative. Society tells us what to do (and not to do) because it's necessary. There's a very good reason your parents and teachers at times dictated to you what you should and should't do.

Tell me how they've helped the poor in the Fruitvale neighborhood in Oakland, CA.

Beyond Belief is affiliated with a group called Minnesota Atheists
Being affiliated with another group does not define that group. Another really dumb thing to say, Rod.
Oh I'm so sorry. I had no idea you were giving me an exhaustive list of worthwhile charities. So that's it?

I think what lead me astray was this comment here.

All of these charity organizations (and many more) can do what your churches do and much much more, all without the threat of being converted to Christianity.

You see, I thought you were providing examples of types of charitable groups.  That many more really threw me off. So the Minnesota Atheists are not one of those many?

And how about the much much more? What are the charities on your (exhaustive?) list doing that churches don't do?

And the threat of being converted I think has matched your prior prize-winning silly comment.

Notice that you are talking about some other organization that I did not refer, which means you have created a Strawman Argument, most likely because you can't form a valid argument.
But again, couldn't we place them in the and many more category? Or is there something about our buddies up north you're not telling me?

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Goldtop

No, that's what Christianity has demanded of people for centuries. The Humanist Manifesto is a point of view that doesn't require gods and stands as a position of taking responsibility for our actions.
There goes that word again. (Except this time No, instead of Nope).

I already know their stance on religion and gods. That has nothing to do with their influencing goals. Yes.....they most certainly do want people of religion to conform to their view. It's right there in that quote I provided from their manifesto. Did you read it?

And it seems what you're getting at is that Christians should face some kind of retribution because Christianity was forced on people in early European history. Is that correct?

7 days later

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@RoderickSpode
Well there is a big difference. I think militant atheists are an extreme minority.
Yes, big difference considering Christian Dumbasses are everywhere, few if any have any common sense, logic or reasoning skills.

Militant atheists are not interested in equality in terms of constitutional religious freedom.
That's a very obvious lie. I see you still have no concept of honesty, typical Christian.
that's why militant atheists
get panic attacks when seeing a manger. They're afraid someone will convert to Christianity.
Another obvious lie. Everyone who isn't a Christians can see Christian are just arrogant assholes who put up mangers in public places where no one wants to see them.

some militant atheists are so nutty they would rather support a statue of Satan on government property
It's one lie after another with you. The statue was placed by a Satanical group who were, alongside the Christians and Jews, expressing their beliefs. If you actually supported constitutional religious freedoms, you would applaud their efforts, but you only support religious freedoms when they suit you and the dumbass Christians.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@RoderickSpode
If you are on a message board you are speaking to militant atheists. 
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Most of the time, probably. There have been a few occasions where I've encountered the atheist who detests atheist militancy. And there are some atheist activists, not many I don't think, but a few who have websites or youtube channels that detest atheist militancy quite vehemently.