spiritually dead

Author: janesix

Total: 115
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
By all means, if you prefer to have certain parts of your brain sedated, go to the shrinks. They will gladly prescribe you your happy pills and mood stabilizers after talking to you for 5 minutes. If drugs aren't your thing, they'll happily allow you to pester them with your problems so long as you are paying them a hefty fee.

If that is what you have faith in, go for it.

I certainly believe, and dare say I know that the church has a better therepeutic method than what passes for mental health treatment today.
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@disgusted
if you asked a coherent question rather than this inane drivel you try to push perhaps you'd get an answer, your attempt to be overly cleaver doesn't work.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ludofl3x
A fair point, which makes you a golf deist, then :) ? It's an imperfect analogy, I admit, but the point is that even though we can't see science working all the time, in every case some aspect of it IS working, at least whenever inquired upon. Would you say Jesus or some supernatural force had a hand in either of your eagles? Why or why not? 

I have no idea, I can't prove it one way or the other, which is my general view on subjects such as this.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
So they are NOT medical or mental health professionals by rule, these presbyters, and your advice to go talk to one as a remedy when someone YOU DO NOT KNOW is expressing a mental health issue is in fact at best irresponsible, at worst a cynical recruitment effort on your part trying to take advantage of someone's mental state, that could end up with extremely dire consequences. 

Thanks. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
I certainly do not believe that is the case. I believe that presbyters are trained for the express purpose of helping people with their spiritual ailments, mental illness often times being a manifestation of spiritual sickness.

I also dispute that what you think of as the mental health profession is science to begin with. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
It's really hard for you to just say "no, they are not licensed medical or mental health professionals." Where's that trademark humility you're always bragging about and not picking up the irony on? I love how you dispute the mental health profession but are totally fine with the 'spiritual ailments' problem. Do you buy or sell indulgences? Because where I sit, you're either a gull or a huckster. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
The OP speaks about being spiritually dead.

Mopac
Mopac
Do you buy or sell indulgences? Because where I sit, you're either a gull or a huckster
In other words, you have no idea what we believe or practice, you just hear religion and make assumptions.

The Orthodox church does not do these things, nor has it ever.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
Yes, and that term in the real world is absolutely meaningless in and of itself, because no one can measure a spirit's vital signs.  
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
Spirituality is certainly not meaningless to us.

Your measure of what gives a spirit meaning is nonsensical.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@janesix
I would also recommend going to an Orthodox monastery if you ever get the chance. They are usually at least partially open to the public.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
You are now preying on a person with mental health needs. Welcome to the same level as scientology, o holy one. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Constantly coming back to a forum of atheists looking for spiritual guidance is part of the problem. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
I would sooner pray for some one than prey on them.

Considering it has been established that you are ignorant concerning our beliefs and practice, you can only be speaking from a place of prejudice.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
They see religion and spirituality as a mental health issue to begin with. 

Look at how this stuff was practiced in the Soviet Union. 

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
fasting promotes autophagy or do you deny science?
I'm questioning and criticizing those who have no clue what they're talking about but find it compelling to tell others what to eat or not to eat at all.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
What does spiritually dead mean and what did you do specifically to bring it on?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Goldtop
clearly not, you are doing more than that because I have not told anyone to do anything, perhaps you need better self control so you stop ignorantly lashing out?
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@secularmerlin
I have been ignoring my spiritual path, and doing anything and everything to distract myself from it
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
you are doing more than that because I have not told anyone to do anything
I never said you did, others here were doing that and you jumped in to defend them.

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
I have been ignoring my spiritual path, and doing anything and everything to distract myself from it
Keep it up, you'll be far more enlightened than if you follow it.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Goldtop
ok my mistake and apology.
I do agree people shouldn't tell others what to do generally, giving advice or suggestions is fine.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
No need to apologize, a simple misunderstanding, quite common when posting in the written medium.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
I could employ the Socratic method and see if a series of questions helps you find an answer for yourself. Is that something you might be interested in?

janesix
janesix
-->
@secularmerlin
Sure, Go.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
What specifically is your spiritual path?
janesix
janesix
-->
@secularmerlin
Part of it is to find out about myself. Part of it is to find out about God. Part of it is yet to be determined.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
What do you not know about yourself?
janesix
janesix
-->
@secularmerlin
I am unsure as to the extent of my flaws, and how far I can go to improve myself. I don't know why I am here. I don't know if I am an imortal being, or if I am created. Lots of things, but these come to mind.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
Do you believe those questions are answerable in your lifetime?