Rape punishment

Author: Alec

Total: 76
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Alec
I'm uncomfortable with the idea of monetary recompense for the victim. It's like puting a dollar value on their body (or at least access to it) and that could do more psychological harm than good. As for castration, well if you think a castrated person cannot also be a rapist then you do not actually understand the act you are discussing. It may act as a deterrent to other rapists but it would not necesarily prevent the castrated individuals from committing future rapes.

It seems that a less extreme punishment may serve the same purpose and also once that has happened what can you possibly threaten them with in the future.
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@secularmerlin
The rape victim can use that money to better her life.  For example, she can pay off her student loans or can get free college that she earned.  This way, even if she gets pregnant from the rape, she spends 9 months with a baby and doesn't have 9 years of student loans.  She can also spend it on the mental help she would need.  I don't know how else to help them recover from the event that can be sped up.  Anything I can think of, mental help, time to heal for example, can be paid for with the money she would get or can't be sped up with anything we can do.

Rapists rape at least partially for sex.  I imagine power is in there too.  It's probably a combination of the desire for sex and power.  Otherwise, strangers wouldn't rape random people, as what often happens.  Rape rates are also higher in the summer, when people tend to wear more revealing clothes, so the sex desire does at least have something to do with why people rape.  If they are castrated, then they lose the desire to have sex largely since their testosterone levels would plummet.

Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@secularmerlin
False accusations are already prevalent enough without a one million dollar prize
Alec
Alec
-->
@Snoopy
If the accusation is confirmed to be false, the rape victim would endure the punishment the "rapist" would have endured.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Alec
The rape victim can use that money to better her life.  For example, she can pay off her student loans or can get free college that she earned.  This way, even if she gets pregnant from the rape, she spends 9 months with a baby and doesn't have 9 years of student loans.  She can also spend it on the mental help she would need.  I don't know how else to help them recover from the event that can be sped up.  Anything I can think of, mental help, time to heal for example, can be paid for with the money she would get or can't be sped up with anything we can do.
Firstly you keep saying she as thpug h only women can be raped. This is not true. The main issue for me however is that there is a use you have not mentioned. The victim could use the money to enable self destructive behavior. Just handing the person a check, or worse just cash, is likely a recipe for disaster. In that case it only makes sense that the rapist pay the state. Is that what you are advocating for?
Rapists rape at least partially for sex.  I imagine power is in there too.  It's probably a combination of the desire for sex and power.  Otherwise, strangers wouldn't rape random people, as what often happens.  Rape rates are also higher in the summer, when people tend to wear more revealing clothes, so the sex desire does at least have something to do with why people rape.  If they are castrated, then they lose the desire to have sex largely since their testosterone levels would plummet.
There are many kinds of rape and many motivations. I see no reason to believe that mandatory castration would prevent repeat offences as you are suggesting.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Snoopy
False accusations are already prevalent enough without a one million dollar prize
Well stated

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Alec
If the accusation is confirmed to be false, the rape victim would endure the punishment the "rapist" would have endured.
You mean castration?

Alec
Alec
-->
@secularmerlin
Firstly you keep saying she as thpug h only women can be raped.
I should have clarified; rape victim vs rapist.

The victim could use the money to enable self destructive behavior.
The victim probably won't.  Otherwise, they would have bought a $250 gun and committed suicide already.  I don't think they will use the money for suicide.

In that case it only makes sense that the rapist pay the state. Is that what you are advocating for?
I want the rapist to pay the federal government and the federal government would give half of the $2.5 million to the rape victim to help them out.  

I see no reason to believe that mandatory castration would prevent repeat offences as you are suggesting.
If castrated, their testosterone levels would plummet and as a result, they have less desire for sex.  Plus, if they were to rape again(I doubt it), at least there is no chance of pregnancy.

You mean castration?
They would pay the fine and would get their tubes tied or castration, depending on the sex/gender of the offender.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Alec
The victim probably won't.  Otherwise, they would have bought a $250 gun and committed suicide already.  I don't think they will use the money for suicide.
This does not logically follow. There are many self destructive behaviors short of suicide. 
I want the rapist to pay the federal government and the federal government would give half of the $2.5 million to the rape victim to help them out.  
I worry in that case that this may incentivise lawmakers to persecute for economic reasons. That is not an environment that foments justice.
They would pay the fine and would get their tubes tied or castration, depending on the sex/gender of the offender.
Tying tubes would in no way prevent repeat offense. Your suggested punishment is no longer in keeping with your stated goals. Please take a moment to consider this and see if you can think of a punishment that is in keeping with these goals.
Alec
Alec
-->
@secularmerlin
This does not logically follow. There are many self destructive behaviors short of suicide. 
The only ones that I can think of aren't that expensive and if rape made the victim want to do something, they probably already would have done it.

Tying tubes would in no way prevent repeat offense. Your suggested punishment is no longer in keeping with your stated goals. Please take a moment to consider this and see if you can think of a punishment that is in keeping with these goals.
A $2.5 million fine would prevent repeat offense.  If not, the people being prosecuted would get paid a good amount of money for their pain in enduring a false prosecution.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
The only ones that I can think of aren't that expensive and if rape made the victim want to do something, they probably already would have done it.
Are you suggesting we not award this money to anyone who acts out self destructively? Who will be in charge of ensuring this is the case? What metric are they using to measure self destructiveness? 6
A $2.5 million fine would prevent repeat offense.  If not, the people being prosecuted would get paid a good amount of money for their pain in enduring a false prosecution.
If the fine is sufficient then what is the point of castration? Or have you reconsidered the act of castration as it is not in keeping with stated goals?
Alec
Alec
-->
@secularmerlin
Are you suggesting we not award this money to anyone who acts out self destructively?
When did I say this?

What metric are they using to measure self destructiveness?
If they are trying to harm themselves.

I think castration can be dropped as a punishment and the punishment is merely only the fine.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
Are you suggesting we not award this money to anyone who acts out self destructively?
When did I say this?
"The only ones that I can think of aren't that expensive and if rape made the victim want to do something, they probably already would have done it." Is what you actually said.

I'm wondering what that has to do with handing out cash to rape victims unless we are paying attention to which are self destructive. You are not actually a dressing the point.
What metric are they using to measure self destructiveness?
If they are trying to harm themselves.
What metric are we using to measure that then and what do we do if we find that they are being self destructive? 
I think castration can be dropped as a punishment and the punishment is merely only the fine.
How enlightened of you.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Alec
You believe the woman should be executed for being raped, what a hero you are.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@disgusted
You believe the woman should be executed for being raped, what a hero you are.
Any other wrong headed things Alec has said aside I do not recall him making any statement of this sort.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@secularmerlin
Any woman who has an abortion should be executed ring a bell?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@disgusted
I'm sorry but it doesn't. Which post was this?
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@secularmerlin
Read the moron's posts. It's his platform.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@disgusted
Did he say that in this thread? Also insults are completely unnecessary they add nothing to your argument.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@secularmerlin

Forum posts: 1,082
Added: 05.18.19 05:21AM
--> @Polytheist-Witch
I think the punishment for premarital sex(under some situations) in of it's self should be a fine of $500.  The punishment for killing an innocent unborn human being should be the death penalty.

So do go ahead and defend the non human who prefers murdering the rape victim to murdering the rapist. Non human in this instance is not an insult.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@disgusted
Human is a biological distinction so you are most likely using it inaccurately but that aside perhaps Alec will answer your allegations (though really the thread were he actually made this statement wpuld be a better place to discuss it).
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Greyparrot
That doesn't keep people from offending. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Swagnarok
I wasn't arguing it should be decriminalized. But should a 20-17 relationship carry the same penalty as a violent rape?
Most states had some kind of fail safe built in. If the younger is over 16 and the older under five years older than the younger it's not statutory rape. Unless a caregiver, like a teacher. So a 16 year old can be with a 21 year old and there is not issue for the court if both are willing. 

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Good punishment though. Second offenders can lose an eye.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Greyparrot
Good punishment though. Second offenders can lose an eye.
It's a good punishment if it doesn't stop the offender from reoffending? What about women offenders. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@secularmerlin
I only read the first sentence of what you said, because I have never proposed a law, nor would I.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
innocent people are convicted, people on death row or sentenced to life in prison have had their sentences overturned.
fake lawsuits for financial gain are common, often settled due to the cost of litigation.

women should be encouraged and enabled to use self defense, including but not limited to lethal force when appropriate.

let's not forget mattress girl and other false accusations.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
hard to rape without eyes
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Greyparrot
Let's cut off hands and stone adulterers too. I mean we don't need laws or rights. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Sure, if they want to rape, they can lose limbs. I am ok with that.