According to AOC, cauliflower is racist

Author: Alec

Total: 98
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Ramshutu
Similarly I enjoy the way you, especially you as a person devoted to science, are defending AOC's claims that the reason why Yucca is not grown in the "Communities of color" of New York is because of "White communities imposing colonialism" and not something as basic as the climate of New York.

Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@Ramshutu
Alexandria Cortez who seems to have a naturally tan skin tone has Puerto Rican heritage, and people with lighter skin tones have distinct ethnicities as well, independent of their genetics.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Greyparrot
Whoo! Straw man again!

I’m not defending her botany, I’m defending the broad point she’s making - for which she used yucca and cauliflower as examples and up until one post ago - you broadly agreed.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@Ramshutu
If greyparrot has ascertained based on the relevant evidence, their opinion, how is it fair for you to assume you aren't defending a "strawman"?  
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Snoopy
*If*

i don’t think he has, and I believe I have explained in detail why I can make that claim.
Snoopy
Snoopy
Alexandria Cortez who seems to have a naturally tan skin tone has Puerto Rican heritage, and people with lighter skin tones have distinct ethnicities as well, independent of their genetics.
Could more appropriately read, *heritage from Puerto Rico

DBlaze
Debates: 0
DBlaze
I agree with what she said, and I do believe it was taken out of context by Fox.  Her video is clearly trying to positively affect these people of color communities by supplying them with things that they are familiar with.

What I don't agree with is actually doing it.  What she is saying is she does not agree with assimilation.  What she wants, or what this will do is to gradually have "country communities" instead of a mix of people and cultures in one place.

Now please don't ask for citations or proof of my hypothesis, but I believe this will lead to a more serious issue of segregation by culture.  By making it more comfortable for people of the same culture to move in to the majority ruled culture of a community will contribute to people not in that culture moving out of the area, and people in that culture moving in.  After several years every community will either be black, white, hispanic, muslim, Asian, etc.  

This is the opposite of what we want for America.  Unless that is what you want, I would hope any rational person would disagree with that, but it is what it is becoming, with these kinds of pushes.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@DBlaze
What is a "people of color community"?

To me it sounds like a community formed on a racial basis, as distinguished from "white"

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@DBlaze
I’m a Brit in Canada, I eat Pies, watch football, wear my Union Jack T shirt (which goes over much better than when I wore it when I lived in the USA on the 4th of July). I retain and celebrate my own culture whilst assimilating and enjoying Canadian culture at the same
tome.

Assimilation isn’t a zero sum game of cultures.

TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Ramshutu
What made come here and contest with the irrational? 
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@TheRealNihilist
boredom mostly.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Ramshutu
I can't believe you voted against me. I still don't really understand how in your eyes I could win. So can you give me an argument on how I could have won?

Debate in question:
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@TheRealNihilist
You could have made the entire debate about his position on Abortion.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Ramshutu
You could have made the entire debate about his position on Abortion.
So basically what do you class as a person would be how I could win?

If I am wrong can you talk me through how I could have won?

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Ramshutu
boredom mostly.
I guess I would advise against speaking to people who don't really know what they are talking about but I don't follow that so it would be hypocritical if I said it. 

Snoopy
Snoopy

Extended Clip - AOC

What I love too is growing plants that are culturally familiar to the community; It's so important.  Look all the way back there.  That looks like composting.  They’ve got composting going on, which is so awesome too because composting is really hard to do in a neighborhood like this.  We  just don’t have the pickups and ease of [???] that a lot of other communities have.
  So that’s how you really do it right.  That is such a core component of the Green New Deal is having all of these projects make sense in a cultural context, and it’s an area where we get the most push back on because people say “why do you need to do that?  That’s too hard.” But, when you really think about it when someone says that “it’s too hard to have a greenspace that grows Yucca"  instead of, I don’t know, “Cauliflower” or something, what you’re doing is you’re taking a colonial approach to environmentalism and that is why a lot of communities of color get resistant to certain "environmentalist" movements because they come with a colonial lens on them and it should be no surprise that some of these projects don’t work out usually because our communities are naturally attuned to live in an environmentally conscious way, you know a lot of us are one or two generations from living on the land. You know my family in Puerto Rico in many ways lived off the land, but if I went to a predominantly white community and told them you’re going to grow plantains and yucca and all of these things that you don’t know how to cook, and your pallet isn’t accustomed to, it’s going to be like cute for a little bit, but it’s not easy.  You need to make it as easy as possible to just flow into these communities and make it work.
  So the way that you do this right is that you don’t come to a community and impose what you think is right.  That is what so many community development projects get wrong whether itis housing whether it is environmental projects.  What you need to do is plug-in and findsleaders in these communities and support them and also just pay attention whenthey are speaking about these things.  Like so often they’ll just be saying these things forever and it justgoes on deaf ears, and then someone else brings it up from a differentcommunity and that’s the first time its acknowledged when so many people havebeen talking about this for so long.  That’s a huge element to all of this

Snoopy
Snoopy
You know my family in Puerto Rico in many ways lived off the land, but if I went to a predominantly white community and told them you’re going to grow plantains and yucca and all of these things that you don’t know how to cook, and your pallet isn’t accustomed to, it’s going to be like cute for a little bit, but it’s not easy.  You need to make it as easy as possible to just flow into these communities and make it work.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@DBlaze
Oh silly you. People come here for the free stuffs, not to integrate.
DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@Greyparrot
They come here because they know they are better off being here than anywhere else, Because We are the best around, nothings gonna ever keep us down, We are the best around.. nothings gonna ever keep us down!  yet there are still citizens here that think that the US is the cause of everything bad.  We are the devil country, and really if they just looked at how good we are, how we have balanced out every ideology, with the exception of anything extreme, they would understand that.  But the fight goes on and the need for change, when we are doing great as it is.  

I believe we do make mistakes, but we can't dwell on them, and play the blame game all the time.
DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@Snoopy
I really don't like the term "people of color", just like I don't like "communities of color" it's just a stupid way to involve all minorities in the group of "colored people" but because that is deemed racist and only refers to black people, they just changed it around.  "People of color" will be coined racist in the near future, mark my words.  It's like saying I have a "car of silver," when really, I just have a silver car.  Let's not beat around the bush here.

Also if AOC is making an observation, then let's all make observations and not be afraid to call them racist.  She is saying that most people that live in that neighborhood eat Yucca instead of Cauliflower...  is that racist?  Apparently not. So if I say that I would bet most people in that neighborhood like soccer over football or speak Spanish instead of English, would that be racist?  It just depends on who says it, hypocritical.

For instance, When interviewed, Bernie Sanders was asked about his age, he replied that we have to stop making decisions based on Age, Gender, Sex, etc. but when asking who is running mate will be, he said he didn't know, but it will most likely be a woman of a younger age.  How hypocritical does it get?  
DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@Snoopy
Come on Snoop a Loop.  There is the white community, then there are white communities.  In AOC's instance, she called it predominantly white neighborhood, which is really the same thing.  There is the black community, then there are black communities, and so on.  There are also Asian communities, which I think the word Asian is the most overlooked racist word ever.  

Asian is a made up word to refer to Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Filipino, etc (even though there are plenty of countries in Asia, like Russia that don't fit that criteria, and don't act like you don't know what criteria I am talking about)... It was just a racist way to group them all together so people didn't have to try and differentiate them.    I guess even a word made up a long time ago by racist people still works to this day, because all of those cultures are vastly different.

I guess my main question is, who is actually being "colonized" right now and is failing?  And what is AOC actually trying to do?  I am a bit confused.  Is she trying to put Yucca in green spaces in communities that are predominantly Yucca eating cultures?  Or is she trying to slowly integrate Cauliflower into predominantly Yucca eating communities as to not piss off the majority of the community?
DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@Ramshutu
I’m a Brit in Canada, I eat Pies, watch football, wear my Union Jack T shirt (which goes over much better than when I wore it when I lived in the USA on the 4th of July). I retain and celebrate my own culture whilst assimilating and enjoying Canadian culture at the same
tome.

Assimilation isn’t a zero sum game of cultures.

Are you in the French speaking part or mainly English speaking part?  And when you say Football, you are talking about Soccer, right?   Also, it is much easier to share a culture when you speak the same language.

I went to Union Jacks on July 4th with my sister (in the US), it was kind of empty.  She is so dense that she thought the ties the bartenders were wearing were in celebration for the US, confusing the British flag for the American.  She thanked the bartender for his patriotism, I was pretty embarrassed. He definitely gave her a look, because he knew she was talking about the US.

I enjoyed a few pints after that.

The question is did you where that shirt on July 1st in Canada?  That would be more akin to wearing it here on July 4th.  Or is Canada's independence day not as celebrated as much as July 4th is in the US?   How do they treat people wearing USA shirts instead of a Canada shirt? 

Go to a Chinese grocery store, which there are more of those where I live than regular Grocery Stores, and tell me if you think they have taken on any American culture (are there any in Canada)?  There are flies buzzing around, the whole store smells like fish, because they lay them out uncovered on ice all over the place as if they were boxes of cereal on sale.   They have no American food at all, and they are huge, and always packed. I usually go there to pick up bait to go fishing.  It's much cheaper than the bait store and they sell the same thing. The store next to my house is called Great Wall Grocery Store.  There is another one just 5 minutes away, and another in the other direction 10 minutes away.

There are always accidents in the parking lot as well, just an observation as AOC was doing.  I do go there sometimes hoping to find something I need for dinner that night because I forgot it while shopping at my own Grocery store, which is further away.    I am always disappointed because they don't have it, or I just don't know where to look, or how to ask for it, so I just wonder around until I give up.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@DBlaze
Assimilation is not a zero sum game of cultures as long as you have a tribal ghetto to enjoy your "other" culture in. Feel free to speak English in Quebec though and enjoy the tilted heads and raised eyebrows.

CroixRennie
CroixRennie
-->
@Greyparrot
Well it's nice to have such a vibrant apologist for AOC's comments here.
If being able to understand simple concepts without feeling the need to misrepresenting them in some flimsy strawman makes me an apologist, what exactly are you?  A hack?  A person who argues in bad faith?   

Nevertheless, her frequent use of "people of color" is misleading at best, and racist at worst.
No offense, you're either have the cognitive abilities of a cup of yogurt or you're just a hack who tows the party line and sentiments at any cost.  AOC is from the Bronx, and her constituents who live within the Bronx are mostly people of color.  How is acknowledging your constituents who are mostly people of color as people of color racist?  

People of color belong to every culture in the country, not just the culture bubble AOC lives in. 
Yeah, you can't possibly be all that bright at all.  Yes, people of color belong to every culture in the country, good job for acknowledging that...however AOC is referring to the people of color WITHIN THE DISTRICT THAT SHE REPRESENTS.  Jeez, do you always argue in such bad faith, or are you the only unsupervised 8 year old allowed to be on this site.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@CroixRennie
 How is acknowledging your constituents who are mostly people of color as people of color racist?  
Probably something to do with content of character and not color of skin. Jus spitballin here amigo.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Kinda thought Americans would be tired of the leaders with the same old rhetoric: "yo white people be lik dis..and yo people of color they be like dis..."

But I guess yogurt is the flavor of divisive racist political rhetoric these days with the sweetness of that timeless racial baiting.
CroixRennie
CroixRennie
-->
@Greyparrot
Probably something to do with content of character and not color of skin. Jus spitballin here amigo.
So when you fill out a job application, college application, voter registration, register for a firearm, or a driver license...when prompted to identify your race, do you identify your character instead?  For the 20/20 census, are you going to describe your character of being literally too daft to understand the significance that marginalized communities of all races have their unique issues that have to be addressed taking their race and community into account?

Kinda thought Americans would be tired of the leaders with the same old rhetoric: "yo white people be lik dis..and yo people of color they be like dis..."
From a person who watches Fox News and Rebel Media unironically and has the same level of understanding that an 8-year-old has about American Politics...you should at the very least be smart enough to know that only an extremely unintelligent person or a bad faith actor would interpret what AOC said to be tantamount to a Def Comedy Jam routine from the 1990's. 

But I guess yogurt is the flavor of divisive racist political rhetoric these days with the sweetness of that timeless racial baiting.
This is coming from the person who unironically takes what Tucker Carlson and Rebel Media says at face value hahaha. Concerned troll, is concerned hahaha.  I'm going to be charitable for the sake of the argument.  Let say AOC is the race-baiting cartoon character fan-fiction you keep fantasizing about in your head, do you think you yourself aren't contributing to the divisive racist political rhetoric you claim to detest so much?  If AOC is Neo, people like you are Agent Smith and vice versa. 

To further prove my point that you're a race-baiter can you explain this post on this thread?  https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/1785

All taxes paid to support welfare are reparations for choosing to be more productive with your life.
How can you in one thread claim you're tired of the "yo white people be lik dis..and yo people of color they be like dis..." racist political rhetoric and are above the fray of race-baiting, BUT you have no problem saying silly shit like that post hahaha?  Regardless of whatever your opinion is on slavery reparations, how are you not apart of the racist political rhetoric of today if you assume that the 40 million blacks in America are all on welfare, not productive and in your opinion already receiving reparations in the form of taxes that you assume that the 40 million blacks in America aren't paying as well.  Dude, I haven't even been on this site too long, and it's already evident that you're a clown.  You think you're being objective, by pretending you're indifferent about race...but you're the complete opposite.  You're 100% consumed by race, and you're a proud soldier doing your part for your team in muddying up the dialogue by arguing in bad faith. If you were half of the concerned troll that you pretend to be about something as benign about AOC talking about yucca and cauliflower when it comes to the left, as you are with the right...why didn't you say anything when @Death23 said this?

American blacks are better off because of slavery because if it didn't happen then they'd have been born and raised in sub-saharan Africa. The slaves were the ones whose lives were much worse due to slavery. They're dead, and the slave owners pretty much lost everything in the civil war anyway. Seems like a wash to me.
If you want to pretend like you're universally concerned about racist rhetoric that happens on both sides, it's mighty funny what you find yourself going to the mat for, and what you're oddly silent about.  If you're going to cloak your disingenuous, at least be smart enough to make an attempt to maintain some kind of consistency.  
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
So when you fill out a job application, college application, voter registration, register for a firearm, or a driver license...when prompted to identify your race, do you identify your character instead?  For the 20/20 census, are you going to describe your character of being literally too daft to understand the significance that marginalized communities of all races have their unique issues that have to be addressed taking their race and community into account?
You mean check a box that looks something like this?

Most people (myself included) are not curious enough to shell out the money to take a comprehensive DNA test when I can just claim whatever identity I want, and Constitutionally, the State can't do a damn thing about it.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Of course they will have it better. A job, medical card, food stamps, housing, free school and babysitting for kids. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Fun fact: You can check the box labeled "Black" on any public document and get away with it to get extra free stuff and benefits, no matter who you are or what your DNA is. As long as we live in an institutionally racist country that has policies favoring people due to the shade of their skin, there is no reason why people should not take advantage of such unequal policies. 

The dream of MLK will just have to wait until people stop using color as an excuse to avoid dealing with the content of people's character.

Might have to wait until a few racist generations die off.