Happy Pride Month! Gay Avatar Season!

Author: bsh1

Total: 80
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Vader
I'm about as bi as a priest is straight.  He has the sex urges, but he keeps them extremely in check.  I do the same.
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@David
@bsh1
How to liberate gays in Africa?  By the US invading the entire continent and enforcing positive American values on them.
Vernonwhite
Debates: 0
Vernonwhite
-->
@Alec
Higher than 67%, More macho communities like the black male members who had aids would often deny they were gay but when doctors examined them, found anal ripping in a majority of study participants.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Death23
SupaDubz
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@David
@bsh1
bsh1: Pride month!!
Virtuoso: Yeah!!

Everyone else: yEah sO poLiTicS aNd stUFf

I don't understand why everything has to be an arguing session lol
David
Debates: 92
David
-->
@Speedrace
Rofl
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Pride is really a dangerous thing.
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@Swagnarok
openly promoted and celebrated BY the schools themselves amounts to rape of conscience
Religion rapes conscience... not people celebrating and being proud of who they are... especially since religion has been raping their conscience for thousands of years. You're religion is flawed... period. 

bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@TheRealNihilist
RM: Being gay is nothing to be proud of
Omar: I am not proud of being heterosexual. I don't see how you are proud of being homosexuals. Care to explain?
Supa: RM's point is actually very true too

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Alec
You can't really fine people for getting sick, even if it resulted from their own negligence. Suppose you don't wear a medical mask to and then catch airborne flu. Can I fine you for being sick? After all, it was your fault your forgot to wear the mask. 

Moreover, promiscuity is *not* a gay issue. People of all stripes, straight and gay, are promiscuous, and many gay men are not promiscuous. The argument from promiscuity is rooted in false stereotypes which justify and perpetuate oppression. It is not true that gay men are more promiscuous than straight men in any statistically significant way. 

Finally, campaigns--which are often a big part of Pride--to educate gay men about safe sex practices and things like PrEP are ramping up. If sex ed in this country were more liberal and less religiously up-tight, the problem of STDs would be significantly less. The solution then is not to punish people who get sick, but to comprehensively educate everyone on how to avoid getting sick in the first place.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@bsh1
Absolutely no offence intended at all.

But it's the men in white pants.

Or perhaps  just the white pants.

Is it a sort of negative Oedipus complex thing?

White pants always remind me (but certainly not in a sexual way) of my dad or older men in general. 

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Swagnarok
Death's response is spot on. An excellent deconstruction of an obtuse line of argumentation.

TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bsh1

LGBTQ+ people have faced historic discrimination across the globe
Yes I do understand that but a celebration should be about the achievement of said people rather then things they do not have control over. If lets say the pride month was used as a front to protest for rights for the LGBTQ+ community I think it would be more effective in making their lives not an event which I don't fully know what it is about.
Pride is a Celebration of our solidarity as a community.
What does this mean?
It is a celebration of all the battles (win or lose), of all the martyrs and heroes who fought for our equality, of all the successes and defeats that paved the way for equality
But you haven't exactly won the battle for equality when 1st amendment allows theists to have Religious freedom on their practices. This can be the freedom to advocate that homosexuality is not natural. This is very untrue in other countries like Saudi which I think they have gay conversion therapy of some sort.
It tells them that life can--and does--get better.
Really depends. I doubt a lesbian, bisexual, homosexual etc would eventually get a better life living in Saudi. The statement is really difficult to provide examples for. 
Pride is not a celebration of homosexuality, but it is a reaffirmation of our human worth notwithstanding our homosexuality. It is a reminder to those depressed kids just starting to navigate their feelings that they are not less human because they are gay.
So it is a kind of reminder LGBTQ+ are also humans not less than. Okay.
We will put on a spectacle to be a counterpoint the hate and prejudice so many of us face.
I doubt a spectacle would be as helpful as political change but that is just a thought.
It is about having Pride in how far we have come, in what we have achieved, in the community we have, and in the humanity we all share, irrespective of our orientations and identities.
That sounds alright. Forgive me for my misconceptions. Don't really hear to much about it and I guess I can't really move away from my anti-SJW views if I don't completely remember them or know which ones they are. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
There’s a few places here where people seem not to know or remember that Pride is a protest march that has evolved, an annual commemoration of the Stonewall Riots for which the 50th anniversary is June 28.  Since there were already a fair number of cities with celebrations and parades in late June and much civic resistance to gays parading, and no kind of national Queer leadership, a patchwork of local annual civil rights marches evolved into Pride month.

We might note that Pride in this context connotes self-esteem and rejects state/faith proscribed sexual conformity.  
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Speaking of conformity I might note that my Divine avatar preceded this forum because I am a pioneer
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Alec
Racists. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
No idea I was a rapist. Or someone is a lying bigot. 
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@bsh1
He said it should be more "normalized" and jus tbe accepted w/o a month. Not a hate statement
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Swagnarok
Your second reply is a good point. I don't, however, buy into the idea that gays weren't actively oppressed for millennia. Humans were animals that reproduce sexually and thus there was a need to peer pressure against it originally but the oppression far outlived its necessity in our species' development.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@bsh1
To the original topic... I've updated my avatar picture for at least the month.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Barney
Yay :)
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
Loki is gay? In what lore?

I appreciate the realm connection though ;)
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Alec
You would eventually get cured on your own from the flu.  This does not apply to STDs. 
We could apply the same analogy to *any* illness, including those that require medical treatment. Suppose you contracted diptheria, mumps, or even anthrax because you didn't where a medical mask. Should you still get fined? The absurdity of your logic is that, if you extend it out to all illnesses, you could justify fining everyone for any sickness. Whether that sickness goes away on its own hardly seems relevant to the fact that your own negligence caused you to get it, and thus makes you responsible for the social and actual costs of your illness.

Gays are not oppressed in the west and in areas where gays are oppressed, it's due to religious law largely.
This statement reflects an enormous amount of ignorance regarding the actual oppression LGBTQ+ people in the West. You only need to take a look at the American South--long the paragon of bigotry in the US--to see that gay people face challenges, obstacles, and threats that straight people do not, including gay bashing, efforts to restrict their access to marriage, and the ability to fire gay people simply because they are gay.

How did gays get HIV rates much higher then straights?
The CDC's early research was tinged with homophobia, and, in many of these key political issues, it remains a partisan actor, captured by political interests. The prejudice that erupted during the AIDs crisis had an impact on research, and fueled a false narrative rooted in that oppression which sought to justify itself through otherizing accusations and half-truths. Higher rates of HIV among the gay community are likely attributed to a combination of factors, including a lack of education about the risks, a fear of being tested (arising out of a fear of being outed), and, perhaps, slightly higher rates of sex which can be hardly described as promiscuity.

Abstinence is 100% effective.  PrEP is not 100% effective. 
That's an absurd equivocation. Abstinence is not %100 effective in real life, because in the real world, people are not going to be abstinent. In order to craft a sexual education policy that is going to genuinely work, you have to account for those kinds of realities, and abstinence-only education does not. That's why abstinence-only states tend to have higher rates of teen pregnancy and higher rates of STDs.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@bsh1
Change ur profile picture to Mr. Ratburn or Jay Blizerian
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
Regarding Loki:
Loki is a trickster god, so he is hard to classify in such normative terms. Heck he's also father of at least one of Odin's children...

Mythology
A sample from the Wiki entry on him: "By the stallion Svaðilfari, Loki is the mother—giving birth in the form of a mare—to the eight-legged horse Sleipnir. In addition, Loki is referred to as the father of Váli in Prose Edda, though this source also refers to Odin as the father..."

Marvel comics
The comics have outright explained that Asgardian men laugh at our restrictive notions of sexuality and caring about gender norms (which is also ironic given their sexism... one way for the ladies, every way for the men). They live thousands of years, so do what they please when they please.

Marvel movies:
He pokes men with his scepter, to make them his slave...
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@bsh1
I'm not gay, but just because I enjoy this site, I will participate in the avatars.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@bsh1
You still haven't addressed the white undies issue.

TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@K_Michael
I can't believe you picked Magneto. I am still going to pick it. 
Pinkfreud08
Debates: 17
Pinkfreud08
Personally as a bisexual male, pride month or black history month isn't that important to me.

However if black people feel as though they want a month to celebrate the achievements of black people and not just talk about slavery or jim crow laws, then be my guest.

If they don't want a black history much, that's fine with me.

This can be applied to pride month, I personally don't really need a pride month however there are a lot of LGBT people discriminated against in less gay friendly states. Cough Cough southern states cough cough.

In short, if other LGBT people want a pride month, go ahead I personally just don't care too much.