Forum Guidelines

Author: TheRealNihilist

Total: 71
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
@RationalMadman

Bsh1 doesn't support a wild west forum but many of his allies tried to misguide him into it along the way of this site's evolution. When you say he supports wild west forum, you don't really know the real Bsh1. Bsh1 struggles at times with being a people pleaser by nature and being a power hungry politician through nurture (yes, you read this right, I strongly believe the latter has come from the life he's lived).
I think he is a people pleaser and since I can't really rebut your claims because I don't really have your information I will leave it at that.
Greyparrot is not the type of user you describe at all, he is entitled to have fun and post semi-relevant shit. He doesn't shitpost and earned a place on my friends list recently (which despite having 42 is something that is earned, not just granted and based on my analysis of the users' consistent conduct, I have 42 but out of all users I observe and/or interact with here that's not much as I no-life this site and am unashamed of that).
Consistent conduct? Never seen him do anything like that with me. Greyparrot has bad views which he rarely admits too. I would go through the effort to bring it here but I think I am already stepping the line with what is deemed a callout. 
I don't know about Mopac's true motives here but the idea that you are entitled to say he can't post things that upset you because of the title of a thread is a bit childish in all honesty. Like, I am a butthurt SJW and even I don't see the issue with Mopac. I have users that repulsed me and they still do but as I said, I handle them just fine. Either they go too far and indeed moderation handles them or I learn to toughen up and ignore it. 
I rather have Mopac be made sure to stay on topic instead of going on his irrational preaching.
I know what a wild west forum is, I know 4Chan, CreateDebate and all kinds of varying moderation practices on the Internet. This is not wild west and that's one of the hugest reasons why I like it. 
Even 4Chan has rules. I am simply stating it being as free as a wild west. I rather have rules that incentivize thoughtful conversation rather than allow for going off-topic. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
If you have questions, our prior conversation is out there to be found.
Do you have a link?
If you do not engage with what I said will go out of my way to clearly show how I was right in the subjectivity department and from my thoughts about the conversation you didn't actually address my critiques. I just got tired of your responses. 
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I'll look for one tomorrow.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
This website has rules. You say '4Chan has rules' but the wild west had rules too. You couldn't be gay, you couldn't be sensitive, you had to conform to the fashion, religion, accent and hierarchy of both criminal and law enforcement agencies. When you talk of the wild west, perhaps you mean 'jungle'. Even in the caveman times, we had rules. The illusion that anywhere is without rules is something that comes from a need to feel more than animals. You're not more than an animal, other than in the eyes of subjective humans and socially constructed 'rights' that are made from our species' egotistical urge to procreate and outdo all other species.

In this website, unlike the wild west, someone like you can't just go ahead and tell Mopac to shut the fuck up or fear being beaten into submission because he is ranting and it's annoying you. On 4Chan, createdebate and many other such websites, you can shitpost such abuse all you want with the worst outcome being a restraining order IRL that results from your own retardation to have revealed your identity on the site. 

I don't think you understand that it is inherent to a non-wild-west community to abhor threads like this that seek to humiliate and intimidate someone into peer-pressured silence. I have seen this happen before, not just in my childhood IRL but also online and no, not just involving me of course but also as a bystander; people feel angry at another's opinion so instead of addressing the opinion they address the person's right to express that opinion. Sometimes this has validity, such as preventing severely militant groups from spreading their agenda but if you truly fear that anyone you mentioned in this thread's OP is genuinely gathering people in an outlaw militia, that's for you to report to the authorities or make seen wider elsewhere. This has nothing to do with site-moderation and as I know those users I can tell you, you're lying.

There have been two users who crossed that line. One is Type1/Sparrow and the other is WisdomofAges and his many alts. They have genuinely called for brutal violence and murder and both are permanently banned to my knowledge (the latter is an educated guess).

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
@RationalMadman
This website has rules. You say '4Chan has rules' but the wild west had rules too. You couldn't be gay, you couldn't be sensitive, you had to conform to the fashion, religion, accent and hierarchy of both criminal and law enforcement agencies. When you talk of the wild west, perhaps you mean 'jungle'. Even in the caveman times, we had rules. The illusion that anywhere is without rules is something that comes from a need to feel more than animals. You're not more than an animal, other than in the eyes of subjective humans and socially constructed 'rights' that are made from our species' egotistical urge to procreate and outdo all other species.
I agree with this. I thought I mentioned wild west has rules but using Ctrl+F I can't seem to find it. I call it wild west because not because there are no rules because the rules are lax and to the detriment of its users. 
In this website, unlike the wild west, someone like you can't just go ahead and tell Mopac to shut the fuck up or fear being beaten into submission because he is ranting and it's annoying you. On 4Chan, createdebate and many other such websites, you can shitpost such abuse all you want with the worst outcome being a restraining order IRL that results from your own retardation to have revealed your identity on the site. 
I much rather it be like reddit. If I am not mistake subreddit heads make rules and moderate either them self or underlings. 4Chan from what I heard is trash so being better than trash is not really that good.
I don't think you understand that it is inherent to a non-wild-west community to abhor threads like this that seek to humiliate and intimidate someone into peer-pressured silence. I have seen this happen before, not just in my childhood IRL but also online and no, not just involving me of course but also as a bystander; people feel angry at another's opinion so instead of addressing the opinion they address the person's right to express that opinion. Sometimes this has validity, such as preventing severely militant groups from spreading their agenda but if you truly fear that anyone you mentioned in this thread's OP is genuinely gathering people in an outlaw militia, that's for you to report to the authorities or make seen wider elsewhere. This has nothing to do with site-moderation and as I know those users I can tell you, you're lying.

There have been two users who crossed that line. One is Type1/Sparrow and the other is WisdomofAges and his many alts. They have genuinely called for brutal violence and murder and both are permanently banned to my knowledge (the latter is an educated guess).
Haven't given my stance on threats because this thread isn't about it. Don't know why you were talking about it. 

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@TheRealNihilist
The forums are not bad. They lead to bigger discussions, which is about the topic

Ex:

Virt: cats are stupid
Bsh: dogs are worse
Virt: dogs are good
Bsh: dogs cause allergies so they bad
Virt: cats do the same thing
Bsh: Allergies good

This is a discussion and a debate discussion. If it is severly off topic like this

Virt: Cats are good
Bsh: Potatoes and beans link to cats
Virt: Potatoes bah
Bsh: vegetables are sucky
Virt: veggie good

This is not ok because it disconnect from the topic of animals, and there really isn't much like it

This is fine

Virt: Cats suck
Bsh: Potatoes and beans suck too
Virt: How does that relate?
Bsh: We still have to deal with those things, so deal with cats
Virt: But food is not the same as animals

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
The forum is modersted just fine.

OP would be judged by his own measure.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Vader
Are you against what I said?
It seems like you agree with me.

If lets say one does want to talk about a another topic in the specific topic in can be addressed by the person who created the topic that they are creating a new topic dedicated to a different topic. I am okay with that because it is better than completely going off topic and making everyone aware of where to go if you want to talk about the new topic instead of the previous one. This will be limited to 1 per forum topic and I think should be done by the person who created the forum.
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
From a position of being a forum user - rather than as moderator - the issue is the determination of “bad faith actor”.

Just because someone is stupid, ignorant or deluded does not make them a bad faith actor. Being deliberately dishonest, evasive or otherwise frustrating reasonable discussion doesn’t make them a bad faith actor either.

There are intentionally intellectually dishonest individuals on this forum, who will evade, dodge, duck: troll and otherwise misrepresent everything to the point it is not practically possible to have an intelligent or meaningful discussion with them on most topics.

I’m sure they’d say the same about me.

And that's the problem.

While hard trolling, personal attacks, doxxing and abuse are objectively measurable - being a dick, being obtuse or dishonest is much more of a subjective determination.

Worse, there is nothing more boring than having a forum without anyone being intelliectually dishonest, distorting facts or generally being an idiot.

Posts currently numbered 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 in the D-Day thread present an obvious example of spam. They are totally unrelated to war, history, veterans, holidays etc...  They did not even stem from something related to anything in the thread.  

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Atheists say this about every theists who posts here. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Mopac
It isn't but nothing can be done about it. Venting always helps. 

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Unproductively calling something of theistic consequence a "fairy tale" for example, a form of artistic expression, hardly seems equivalent to acknowledging that the posts in the D-Day thread aren't tied to anything relevant, nor intended to be whatsoever.  
5 additional posts were added, now numbering up to 25.  The majority of the D-Day thread that opens up with honoring WWII veterans is filled with conjecture as to moderation policy.  All that needed to be done was to ignore it in this case, or at most press the flag thingy and just let moderation handle their policy.  It would be nice if there was a way to address the problem, and maybe have it removed, as opposed to cluttering up the page. Lets say, just for sake of promoting discussion, its possible that a poster were allowed the discretion by a mod to remove irrelevant content after they receive two spam notifications.  You'd at least be able to offer feedback without personal quibbles or issues with censorship, and maybe end up with an improvement to thread development and experience.
Vader
Vader
-->
@Snoopy
It was related to the fact how D-Day is not celebrated by Google but an irelevant holiday on the google calendar means more than people who died
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Snoopy
Your support of atheist bigotry is noted. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@Vader
I'm not referring to google comments, which was made earlier as an entirely separate matter from what I referred to as I see it.  I'll let your explanation stand whatever it may be.  I'm referring to a string of conversation starting with this statement. 

"I had an Restraining Order on you and you violated it with this post. This is a warning and I'm bsh will tell you it is too."

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Unproductively calling something of theistic consequence a "fairy tale" for example, a form of artistic expression, hardly seems equivalent to acknowledging that the posts in the D-Day thread aren't tied to anything relevant, nor intended to be whatsoever.  
5 additional posts were added, now numbering up to 25.  The majority of the D-Day thread that opens up with honoring WWII veterans is filled with conjecture as to moderation policy.  All that needed to be done was to ignore it in this case, or at most press the flag thingy and just let moderation handle their policy.  It would be nice if there was a way to address the problem, and maybe have it removed, as opposed to cluttering up the page. Lets say, just for sake of promoting discussion, its possible that a poster were allowed the discretion by a mod to remove irrelevant content after they receive two spam notifications.  You'd at least be able to offer feedback without personal quibbles or issues with censorship, and maybe end up with an improvement to thread development and experience.
Your support of atheist bigotry is noted. 
That is not how I intended to convey myself, but if that is your view...I propose that your personal note need not be introduced at random in the future should I decide to express a thought on D-Day

Vader
Vader
-->
@Snoopy
Goldtop violated an RO that I stated. I pointed it out and thats it
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
Posts currently numbered 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 in the D-Day thread present an obvious example of spam. They are totally unrelated to war, history, veterans, holidays etc...  They did not even stem from something related to anything in the thread.  
My post which was 12 was addressing D-Day but that aspect of it being a holiday. Did you miss that? It was relevant to D-Day because it is the context of the holiday. 

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Yep, must be a typo then.  My bad.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I would have intended to skip over it, like I did with #14, but I somehow made a mistake.  Thank you
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
Okay at least you cleared that up. Is there a reason why you didn't reply to my Chuck Schumer comment? Off-topic but since those are not rules I can ask whatever I want.

Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@TheRealNihilist
As I stated in my first post, what I’m presenting is not part of my point of view as a vote moderator, but as a forum user. Bsh doesn’t tell me what can and can’t be talked about - however I am of course fairly careful when talking about matters regarding moderation as it’s easy for my personal views to be confused with my moderation position. I’ve not responded primarily because it’s the weekend, and as I spend 99% of my time here during compile breaks, or Pooping, I have much less available time.

My problem, as I sort of outlined in my first point - is that who are the bad faith actors is normally subjective and depends on which side of a discussion you’re on in the case you lower the bar of what makes a bad faith actor.

We have fairly specific rules about conduct that is and isn’t allowed: the issue with these is more concerning the time it takes to be dealt with rather
tham it not being dealt with appropriately - imo as a forum user.

While I accept the frustration of facetious comments, or unhelpful discussion - the specific issue is that there is no criteria you can use that is objective and will cover only those who are arguing in bad faith. Even if you tried, the issue you would find is that it would be trivially easy to apply it to almost everyone depending on whatever whim or point of view you held at the time.

This goes back to what I said: To paraphrase, when moderators have to determine whether the content of people’s post is valid and applicable; rather than whether their specific actions and behaviours cross an objective threshold of negatice behaviour (personal attacks, abuse, etc), it’s not possible to do that in a way that’s fair to most of the people AND not end up with a one sided, one position forum from which every opposing opinion has been removed.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Ramshutu
My problem, as I sort of outlined in my first point - is that who are the bad faith actors is normally subjective and depends on which side of a discussion you’re on in the case you lower the bar of what makes a bad faith actor.
Have a standard then. If you are aren't able to make a good standard then simply remove it and have the discussion when moderators have more knowledge to properly add it in. Why isn't this discussed because bad faith actors do harm discourse?
We have fairly specific rules about conduct that is and isn’t allowed: the issue with these is more concerning the time it takes to be dealt with rather
tham it not being dealt with appropriately - imo as a forum user.
Then have more moderators or remove moderation from the forums because the little the moderating team does is not worth moderating. It is like a centrists position to healthcare. Why can't we both have the left and right ideas of conservatives? It is because half of each doesn't make a good proposal nor does doing a half-a$$ job in the forum. In my opinion of course because if I did have information it would be disclosing private information which I am not allowed to do. That's if I have private information which I don't. Just simply removed advertisements and don't care about anything else. Since advertisements hardly ever show the forums will lack for the most part any moderation. That frees up time to moderate debates.
While I accept the frustration of facetious comments, or unhelpful discussion - the specific issue is that there is no criteria you can use that is objective and will cover only those who are arguing in bad faith. Even if you tried, the issue you would find is that it would be trivially easy to apply it to almost everyone depending on whatever whim or point of view you held at the time.
Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to stop the most problematic thing to helpful discourse. Bad faith actors. 
This goes back to what I said: To paraphrase, when moderators have to determine whether the content of people’s post is valid and applicable; rather than whether their specific actions and behaviours cross an objective threshold of negatice behaviour (personal attacks, abuse, etc), it’s not possible to do that in a way that’s fair to most of the people AND not end up with a one sided, one position forum from which every opposing opinion has been removed.
Depends on the objective standard you have. This isn't a counter to my side more so you acknowledging you have a standard with moderating. I am simply asking for a difference in that standard. If you don't want to then I can't do anything about it. 

Opposing opinion is already removed from site. People who want to doxx cannot. People who want to advertise cannot. People who want to threaten someone online cannot. These are opposing opinions this site rejects. This clearly shows you do prevent certain opposing opinions in certain issues but you don't think it is possible for my proposition to be fair. Even though you haven't tried it or even stated why this proposition isn't fair. Saying bad faith actors is subjective doesn't actually debunk me instead pretty much states what is true. Like with anything else in the world. It is all subjective as well. That isn't an argument against mine it is simply saying we perceive the world using our eyes and I see the word bad faith actors. Yeah no sh*t we perceive the world through our eyes and in other ways but how does that actually debunk my point? 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Okay at least you cleared that up. Is there a reason why you didn't reply to my Chuck Schumer comment? Off-topic but since those are not rules I can ask whatever I want.
I was going to as I recall, probably got distracted and had the window on my device closed.  I'm not sure at that point if you wanted to talk more about the economics of tariffs or whether we can and should label the twitter account of politicians "fake news", namely the expressed views of Donald Trump.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
I was going to as I recall, probably got distracted and had the window on my device closed.  I'm not sure at that point if you wanted to talk more about the economics of tariffs or whether we can and should label the twitter account of politicians "fake news", namely the expressed views of Donald Trump.
I simply stated that Trump committed Fake News. The point I wanted to address was my rebuttal about Chuck being relevant in the discussion about the economy. I didn't say we ought to take away the twitter account or have him as the leader of Fake News instead it will simply showing the hypocrisy of Trump. He states others commit Fake News but he does. 

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@TheRealNihilist
i don’t think you’re really understanding the key point here. The key point I’m making is that when the decision of moderators is based exclusively on interpretation of the validity of the content and nature of what people are arguing; it becomes inherently subjective.

For example, I don’t think you’re really engaging on my key argument, or fully understanding it. Would this fit the criteria for me removing you from my thread? Or classifying you as someone who is not interested in discussion?

I could argue it both ways depending on which side I’m on. As it’s either you misunderstanding me, or me not expressing myself well.

if I said something facetious, is it an attempt at satirical mockery of a point that is inherently stupid, or is it deliberate trolling and failure to engage in the point? It would depend on whether I think the point is stupid.

There are going to be people who troll, people who are stupid, people who don’t understand and don’t know how to argue, there’ll be people who have a screw loose and people with intellectually bankrupt positions they can’t support and are forced to defend their crass and idiotic opinions with memes and dismissive nonsense - and it’s been that way since the dawn of the internet. Each one of them think the same is true about every other, and so it’s literally not possible to satisfactorily do anythkmg about any of them without inherently preventing the free exchange of ideas and debates.

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
It was wonderful how you avoided hypocrisy by defending your right to use the forums and website with that closing paragraph.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
It’s called self reflection, or sometimes metacognition. The important goal for anyone who’s thinking is rational, and logical is to recognize your own possibility of error and bias and constantly seek them out and repeatedly correct. When you start from the principle that those that are critical, or disagree are always correct; it really does help you to really correct your own thinking.

If you’re not constantly perpetual paranoid fear that you’re actually one of the idiots who believe in nonsense, and don’t understand or recognize it: you probable are.

keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
-->
@Ramshutu
The important goal for anyone who’s thinking is rational, and logical is to recognize your own possibility of error and bias and constantly seek them out and repeatedly correct.
Be that as it may, correct forum etiquette is to deny even the possibility of being wrong and use any combination of deflection, equivocation,
mis-direction and bare faced lying to avoid having to back down or apologise.   If personal remarks and insults fail, as a last resort one may stop posting to the thread and hope it dies, but a dedicated forum poster should never, ever admit to being wrong or even fallible - that just 'isn't done'.

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@keithprosser
Well that is a given, I was talking about more generally. When people cant see.