That's the question.
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
Yes.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
The interpretation of Catholic beliefs are a variation of what Jesus taught and not a very accurate one TBH. Doesn't have anything to do with the people, they may love Jesus and look to Him as a Savior....but the Catholic beliefs are distorted nonsense. 
Catholics can for sure be Christian, however they may not be aware the beliefs the RCC has formed are distorted, and unless they are making mistakes due to those errors it really doesn't matter. If their beliefs are progressing them spiritually its still a good thing. 
Christianity at heart is simply following the teachings of Jesus and those teachings should usher in spiritual freedom and personal growth. However, I don't personally find any freedom in Catholicism, I think they are locked in a poor conception of what Jesus taught. 
An innocent naïve soul can hold a traditional twisted belief and still progress spiritually even though that particular tradition is corrupt. Likewise you could observe the opposite, where people in a religious/authoritative position in a corrupt belief system are perpetrating heinous crimes like we see with Catholic Priests. 
vagabond
vagabond
-->
@EtrnlVw
Distorted according to whom? Luther et al?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@vagabond
Are catholics Christian?.. That's the question.

What else would you expect a Catholic be if not a Christian? 

They worship and follow the teaching of Christ, the clue is in the title Christos, you dummy. God, you are thick!

vagabond
vagabond
-->
@Stephen
There are plenty of "christians" who claim that catholics aren't christian. Your stupid if your poor reading showed you that I'm making that claim. The "?" at the end of sentences is a clue.
Castin
Castin
-->
@EtrnlVw
I think Catholicism is the first religion/denomination I've ever heard you disapprove of.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@vagabond
There are plenty of "christians" who claim that catholics aren't christian. Your stupid if your poor reading showed you that I'm making that claim. The "?" at the end of sentences is a clue.

Yes I recognised it to be a question, you dummy., a stupid time wasting question. And I asked you, what else would a catholic be if not Christian.?You haven't answered that. and the reason you haven't answered is because it has been pointed out to you how absolutely cretinous your original question is. 
vagabond
vagabond
-->
@Stephen
What makes you stupid enough to believe I would have an answer or would need to answer that?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Castin
Hehe, I'm not a fan. However Christianity is a wide category, so there are many things within it I do not agree with, and many things that are legit. People on the other hand, I always support in their spiritual journeys. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Castin
Here's a good example of what I meant by innocent believers and corrupt sick practitioners. Check out this Catholic Priest that slaps this baby in the face in front of the babies own parents. Look at the countenance of the parents, and look at the countenance of that demon priest, looks like he would eat the face off that baby if no one was around, makes me sick. I would have leveled that guy right there in that church if I was that father. 

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
If you worship Christ as your savior you are Christian. Some Catholics might or might not be. Just like Protestants might or might not be. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Why that dunce vagabond would even consider Catholics to be anything but Christian is extremely telling of his brain capacity. Maybe he thinks that  Catholics are Buddhist in reality, or even Hindus or God forbid Muslims.. This thread is just another Christian baiting thread by a complete dunce who has nothing all to do but bait , mock and ridicule Christians and Christianity. 
vagabond
vagabond
-->
@Stephen
Citations regarding what I think numnum.
vagabond
vagabond
-->
@EtrnlVw
Have you seen Benny Hin
Castin
Castin
-->
@EtrnlVw
Here's a good example of what I meant by innocent believers and corrupt sick practitioners. Check out this Catholic Priest that slaps this baby in the face in front of the babies own parents. Look at the countenance of the parents, and look at the countenance of that demon priest, looks like he would eat the face off that baby if no one was around, makes me sick. I would have leveled that guy right there in that church if I was that father. 
WHAT THE SHIT.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Are catholics actually catholic?

Who are catholics?

Eastern Church? Roman Church? Protestants who claim to believe in the catholic church?

Catholic means "universal". Church means "congregation".

So what is the universal congregation?

Maybe, and here is just a thought... maybe the real catholic church is not a man made institution that claims to be catholic.

ronjs
ronjs
-->
@vagabond
Individuals in any group can be Christian since it is an individual choice.
Catholic doctrine is often anti Christian such as considering Mary to be co redeemer with Christ, which is a concept nowhere to be found in the Bible.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Castin

Willows
Willows
-->
@vagabond
The Catholic Church is no different to any other Christian denomination in that each claims to be the only pathway to God.

Unfortunately for Catholics, they just happen to belong to what is probably one of the most, hideous, vile and corrupt institutions ever devised.
vagabond
vagabond
-->
@Willows
Good to see ya mate.
vagabond
vagabond
-->
@ronjs
And an individual claim that cannot be disputed.
Willows
Willows
-->
@vagabond
It's like moving into a new house really.
I can almost smell the new paint and plaster.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Willows
Unfortunately for Catholics, they just happen to belong to what is probably one of the most, hideous, vile and corrupt institutions ever devised.

As is Islam.
Willows
Willows
-->
@Stephen
...and other Christian churches and organised religious institutions.

My feeling is that Islam, in its many forms, has not suffered the extent of corruption of the Catholic Church and it has had some effect on keeping together cultures that could otherwise be bitterly divided and unruly. Nevertheless, Islam is a brutal and barbaric institution, mainly because of its adherence to primitive, ancient, and draconian principals.

Buddhism I would not include in the group of organised religions and indeed, it could be argued that Buddhism is not really a religion. 

triangle.128k
triangle.128k
I am a Catholic here and we see the Catholic Church as the legitimate Church. Anyone care to explain to me how Catholic teachings are in any way contradictory to Jesus's teachings?
Castin
Castin
-->
@EtrnlVw
That video was disturbing on so many levels. The baby was obviously getting traumatized being in some strange old guy's face. He's got his hands wrapped around the baby's head, yanking it around too much.

When he slaps the baby you can hear one of the women gasp, but there's weirdly no reaction on anyone's face, they simply close in slowly to pull the baby away. But Father Fuckface clutches it tighter like "no me nice bear" in the creepiest way, until the baby has to be physically pried from him.

I'm hoping he was just mentally impaired somehow.

Castin
Castin
-->
@EtrnlVw
The dichotomy of Christian piety and papal opulence has indeed been a target of criticism for some time. It does kind of demand an explanation.

My guess would be that hundreds of years ago, a show of opulence wasn't tasteless or over the top. It meant power. Common people could not afford lavish fabrics and dyes, jewels, gold and silver. If you had these things you were demonstrating you were a person of awesome means, and if you didn't have them you couldn't hope to be esteemed. Which is why for hundreds of years rulers posed for portraits wearing the entire contents of a treasure vault. For the church, it meant that for the Christian religion to have real power in the world, the papacy needed to acquit itself with the wealth of kings.
vagabond
vagabond
-->
@Castin
He would have been hospitalized if it was my baby.
Castin
Castin
-->
@vagabond
He would have been hospitalized if it was my baby.
I believe you, man. And I'm sure a lot of parents would be right there with you on that.

At first I wasn't even sure those were the baby's parents in the video because they underreacted so much. But the description indicates that's at least the father.