There'll never be closure on whether God exists

Author: Fallaneze

Total: 554
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
REAL-TRUE-FACTS must be scientifically verifiable and or logically necessary.

REAL must be scientifically verifiable and or logically necessary.

TRUE must be scientifically verifiable and or logically necessary.

FACTS must be scientifically verifiable and or logically necessary.

Your suggestion makes it so that "truth" is subordinate to verification and logic, when it's not. For example, logic does not create truth. It merely communicates truths using a consistent metric (if this is true, and this is true, then this is true; this is true, so this true and vice versa.) It stands to reason that logic must conform to the truths, not the other way around. I cannot add a false statement to an otherwise true syllogism and argue that it's "true" because of logic. The same goes with verification. Using the example above, you cannot correctly characterize a statement as "inaccurate" if its truth has been determined (even post facto.)

An OPINION has no "truth-value".  It is neither "true" nor "false" by itself.
That's technically true of any statement.

Before verification, it was pure speculation (which is not "true").
Incorrect. Before verification, the only thing that was different was the extent of our observation. Now if my statement were that "I know what's in that chest," that would be "not true." But if it's my opinion that there are old family photos in that chest, and we can empirically verify the chest's content where it substantiates my opinion, then that would be a case where my opinion/speculation and "truth" coincide.

Independent of verification, it is merely an OPINION.
I do not dispute that it's an opinion. My dispute is that this opinion is excluded from the truth, even when determined after the fact, that it was always true.

Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
It's an ontological choice.  Durable, reliable, coherent ideas and or events and or things are things that can be labeled "REAL-TRUE-FACTS".
Fair enough.

It can be found at the intersection we call "intersubjectivity".  It inhabits the ontological interpersonal space we share with "our fellow humans".

For example, Plato's Parable of the MMORPG. [LINK]
What is the significance in creating a distinction between a subjective judgement and an intersubjective judgement?

How can you see a glass of water if you can't see ALL water?
It has to do with your use of proportions like 100%. If you're claiming that we cannot conclude it to be 100% true, that would mean that you have some conception of its being 100% true especially if you're going to relate our "current state." I'm essentially asking you how can you conceive a notion of 100% while simultaneously being unable to make a conclusion 100%?

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Your suggestion makes it so that "truth" is subordinate to verification and logic, when it's not.
This is great stuff.

How do you know if something is true?  What is your preferred definition of "truth"?

For example, logic does not create truth. It merely communicates truths using a consistent metric (if this is true, and this is true, then this is true; this is true, so this true and vice versa.)
There must be an original (logically necessary) truth in order to begin your infinite series of (IFF)/(THEN) statements.

It stands to reason that logic must conform to the truths, not the other way around.
How do you come to this conclusion?  Logic is a system of AXIOMS that are tools for discovering REAL-TRUE-FACTS.

I cannot add a false statement to an otherwise true syllogism and argue that it's "true" because of logic.
Of course it's only "true" if it's verified.

The same goes with verification. Using the example above, you cannot correctly characterize a statement as "inaccurate" if its truth has been determined (even post facto.)
"not-true" =/= "inaccurate"

"not-true" =/= "false"

And, in reference to your excellent example, just like Schrodinger's wonderful-wonderful cat, the "photographs" are in a "quantum-super-state" up to and until the box is opened.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
I do not dispute that it's an opinion. My dispute is that this opinion is excluded from the truth, even when determined after the fact, that it was always true.
And this is a very important point, so I'm glad we're both on the same-page here.

It is only true at the point of verification.

And at that point, we can "retroactively" call it "true" colloquially, but it could never have been "true" BEFORE verification occurred.

For example, if someone hypothesized that the Sun emits invisible rays of light, before there was any scientific evidence to support their claim, they would not be "correct" and their OPINION (prediction) would not and could not be considered TRUE.

Up to and until the moment of verification, that person is not a "prophet" or a "liar".  That person is indistinguishable from a lunatic (space-alien abductee).

We should NEVER "take someones word-for-it".

Only NOW can we say it is TRUE that the Sun emits invisible rays of light, and has, as far as we reasonably can tell, (retroactively) ALWAYS emitted invisible rays of light.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
For example, Plato's Parable of the MMORPG. [LINK]
What is the significance in creating a distinction between a subjective judgement and an intersubjective judgement?

Plato's Parable of the MMORPG,

Once upon a time there were a number of people who lived in complete darkness and the only thing they could see was their computer screens.

What they saw on their screens was their reality.

The only other people they knew were people in-game with magnificent costumes and weapons.

Sure they had to fumble in the darkness in order to microwave a quick meal, or find their bed when they were exhausted, but those were merely incidental inconveniences.

Only the game was real.  Only the game was shared experience.  Only in-game places and people and items were quantifiable, able to be observed and verified and shared with other players (quanta). 

Sometimes an individual would try to explain what kind of food they ate or describe their room (private/personal/unshared knowledge, gnosis) but since none of this information was directly relevant in-game and was fundamentally unverifiable, it was dismissed out-of-hand as unintelligible nonsense.  In fact, even the language they had developed had evolved exclusively for in-game interactions, so there really weren't any proper words for "food" or "room" that were not specifically in-game references, and even more than that, since there was no taste, touch, or smell in-game, there were also no words to properly describe those sensations as well.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
How can you see a glass of water if you can't see ALL water?
It has to do with your use of proportions like 100%. If you're claiming that we cannot conclude it to be 100% true, that would mean that you have some conception of its being 100% true especially if you're going to relate our "current state." I'm essentially asking you how can you conceive a notion of 100% while simultaneously being unable to make a conclusion 100%?
It doesn't take an enormous amount of experimentation to discover that some experiences are more reliable than others.

The more reliable experiences are not 100% reliable (Hume), but they don't need to be.

They only need to be reliable enough to be useful.

Efficacy.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
This is great stuff.

How do you know if something is true?  What is your preferred definition of "truth"?
I don't have a preferred definition of truth. "Truth" is subjective. Definitions can create a common ground for what you call "intersubjectivity" but are unnecessary for the "intrasubjective." How do I know if something is true? If my experience is my primary standard, then I need only posit its truth (a priori or a posteriori.) For intersubjective experience, the "truth" must be posited and accepted by everyone which is in itself illogical.

There must be an original (logically necessary) truth in order to begin your infinite series of (IFF)/(THEN) statements.
Hold on to this statement.

How do you come to this conclusion?  Logic is a system of AXIOMS that are tools for discovering REAL-TRUE-FACTS.
This is how I've come to that conclusion:

What is an axiom? It's an accepted self-evident truth. It precedes logic. Logic doesn't create the axiom. Logic as you stated uses it to discover "real-true-facts." But logic isn't the axiom or even the system of axioms. It's a system of reasoning which depends on axioms.

And, in reference to your excellent example, just like Schrodinger's wonderful-wonderful cat, the "photographs" are in a "quantum-super-state" up to and until the box is opened.
And is this quantum superstate empirically verifiable?

And this is a very important point, so I'm glad we're both on the same-page here.

It is only true at the point of verification.

And at that point, we can "retroactively" call it "true" colloquially, but it could never have been "true" BEFORE verification occurred.

For example, if someone hypothesized that the Sun emits invisible rays of light, before there was any scientific evidence to support their claim, they would not be "correct" and their OPINION (prediction) would not and could not be considered TRUE.

Up to and until the moment of verification, that person is not a "prophet" or a "liar".  That person is indistinguishable from a lunatic (space-alien abductee).

We should NEVER "take someones word-for-it".

Only NOW can we say it is TRUE that the Sun emits invisible rays of light, and has, as far as we reasonably can tell, (retroactively) ALWAYS emitted invisible rays of light.
But it was always true. The only difference is that the information was disseminated through a standard you accept. But both the opinion and the verification could reach the same conclusion. You rely on verification because its reproducible while the opinion, not so much.

Plato's Parable of the MMORPG,

Once upon a time there were a number of people who lived in complete darkness and the only thing they could see was their computer screens.

What they saw on their screens was their reality.

The only other people they knew were people in-game with magnificent costumes and weapons.

Sure they had to fumble in the darkness in order to microwave a quick meal, or find their bed when they were exhausted, but those were merely incidental inconveniences.

Only the game was real.  Only the game was shared experience.  Only in-game places and people and items were quantifiable, able to be observed and verified and shared with other players (quanta). 

Sometimes an individual would try to explain what kind of food they ate or describe their room (private/personal/unshared knowledge, gnosis) but since none of this information was directly relevant in-game and was fundamentally unverifiable, it was dismissed out-of-hand as unintelligible nonsense.  In fact, even the language they had developed had evolved exclusively for in-game interactions, so there really weren't any proper words for "food" or "room" that were not specifically in-game references, and even more than that, since there was no taste, touch, or smell in-game, there were also no words to properly describe those sensations as well.

This argument essentially reduces to "the intrasubjective is not intersubjective; and the intersubjective is not intrasubjective." Are you suggesting that the significance in creating a distinction between the two are your personal qualifications (e.g. "unintelligible nonsense")?

It doesn't take an enormous amount of experimentation to discover that some experiences are more reliable than others.
How have you determined this?

The more reliable experiences are not 100% reliable (Hume), but they don't need to be.
What is "more"? If you don't know what 100% truth is, then how can you claim that something is not 100%?

They only need to be reliable enough to be useful.

Efficacy.
Useful and efficacious toward what?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
What is an axiom? It's an accepted self-evident truth [NOUMENON, COGITO]. It precedes logic. Logic doesn't create the axiom [ALTHOUGH LOGIC CAN VERIFY AN AXIOM]. Logic as you stated uses it to discover "real-true-facts." But logic isn't the axiom or even the system of axioms. It's a system of reasoning which depends on axioms [AND MUST BE COHERENT AND EFFICACIOUS].
Step ONE, Make your AXIOMS explicit.

Step TWO, Check your logic for internal coherence.

Step THREE, Check your logic for practical efficacy.

That's how you know if your AXIOMS are REAL-TRUE-FACTS.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
And is this quantum superstate empirically verifiable?
Shockingly, YES. [LINK]
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
But it was always true.
Only RETROACTIVELY.  How could you determine if it was "true" if you lived 10,000 years ago?

The only difference is that the information was disseminated through a standard you accept. But both the opinion and the verification could reach the same conclusion.
At which point, the OPINION instantly evaporates and is transformed into a REAL-TRUE-FACT.

You rely on verification because its reproducible while the opinion, not so much.
We rely on what is reliable.  This much seems obvious.  Trusting OPINION is foolish.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
What is "more"? If you don't know what 100% truth is, then how can you claim that something is not 100%?
How do you know you like some flavors of ice-cream unless you've sampled 100% of all flavors of ice-cream?
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL

Step THREE, Check your logic for practical efficacy.

What is practical efficacy?

Shockingly, YES. [LINK]
It's empirical, but it certainly as of yet has not been "verified." Was it not subject to quite a few interpretations?

Only RETROACTIVELY.  How could you determine if it was "true" if you lived 10,000 years ago?
But it doesn't change anything even when analyzed retrospectively. If I rely on my methods, logic, and "empirical verification" to determine the rules of "reality," then independent observation cannot determine truth. The consistency and reliability I posit the use logic of possesses is supposed to be transient and transcend chronological metrics. That is, no matter the time, the application of the my reliable standards would yield an identical result.

Are you suggesting, perhaps, that this "truth" has no value unless its observed?

At which point, the OPINION instantly evaporates and is transformed into a REAL-TRUE-FACT.
Doesn't change that it was an opinion. And if the truth coincides with the statement of opinion then the opinion was true, even in retrospect.

We rely on what is reliable.  This much seems obvious.  Trusting OPINION is foolish.
Why is that?

How do you know you like some flavors of ice-cream unless you've sampled 100% of all flavors of ice-cream?
This analogy does not suffice. I wouldn't claim to like 80% or 90% or even make claims of 100% of all ice cream flavors. "Some" is a nebulous measure with which to begin. I could give you any number and it would suffice.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
This argument essentially reduces to "the intrasubjective is not intersubjective; and the intersubjective is not intrasubjective."
100% correct.

Are you suggesting that the significance in creating a distinction between the two are your personal qualifications (e.g. "unintelligible nonsense")?
The "significance" is that some things are (intersubjectively) verifiable (REAL-TRUE-FACTS) and the rest is PURE QUALIA.

It's not "impossible" to communicate PURE QUALIA, but the potential for error (miscommunication/misunderstanding) is extremely high.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias

Step THREE, Check your logic for practical efficacy.

What is practical efficacy?
My primary use-case for logic is the ability to identify con-artists.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
This analogy does not suffice. I wouldn't claim to like 80% or 90% or even make claims of 100% of all ice cream flavors. "Some" is a nebulous measure with which to begin. I could give you any number and it would suffice.
I'm not claiming 80% or 90% (in absolute terms) either.

Science only makes claims based on samples.  Out of 10,000 experiments, 50.32245% of (american penny) coin-flips land tails-up.

This reliability is measured in SIGMA.

Anything less than 2 SIGMA should be considered suspect (for scientific purposes).
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
It's empirical, but it certainly as of yet has not been "verified." Was it not subject to quite a few interpretations?
By "quite a few" do you mean exactly 2?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Doesn't change that it was an opinion. And if the truth coincides with the statement of opinion then the opinion was true, even in retrospect.
It is important because people often believe that "if someone makes a prediction that turns out to be true, they are more likely to make another prediction that turns out to be true".  They tend to conflate that person with "a trusted source".

And this is one of the tactics of a con-artist.

If you don't know exactly HOW the person made a prediction that turned out to be accurate, there is absolutely no reason for anyone to believe that their next guess is going to turn out to be accurate.

For example, in ancient Greece when Democrates demonstrated an ability to predict the weather, people thought he was a god and started asking for all kinds of non-weather related predictions.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
But it doesn't change anything even when analyzed retrospectively. If I rely on my methods, logic, and "empirical verification" to determine the rules of "reality," then independent observation cannot determine truth.
Scientific verification determines REAL-TRUE-FACTS TAUTOLOGICALLY (by definition).

The consistency and reliability I posit the use logic of possesses is supposed to be transient and transcend chronological metrics. That is, no matter the time, the application of the my reliable standards would yield an identical result.
That is a reasonable, INDUCTIVE conclusion that is untestable (unfalsifiable) and NOT a REAL-TRUE-FACT.

Are you suggesting, perhaps, that this "truth" has no value unless its observed?
This (and any other) "truth" has no "value" UNLESS it has some PRACTICAL APPLICATION.

Any "truth" that is unverified or unverifiable or unfalsifiable or undiscovered or secret is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM PURE FICTION.

It is important to maintain a constant awareness of and vigilant respect of our epistemological limits.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
The "significance" is that some things are (intersubjectively) verifiable (REAL-TRUE-FACTS) and the rest is PURE QUALIA.
So the significance in the distinction is the distinction itself? What does the distinction produce?

It's not "impossible" to communicate PURE QUALIA, but the potential for error (miscommunication/misunderstanding) is extremely high.
Why does "pure qualia" escape the constraints you've placed on opinion--i.e. necessarily unverified private Gnosis? And by which metric are you gauging error? What is "extremely high" as opposed to "moderate"?

My primary use-case for logic is the ability to identify con-artists.
Well we're not talking about just your use-case for logic given the suggestion that Logic is intersubjective. So then what would make one a "con-artist"? An outlier? One who doesn't know logic? One who rejects logic? Or one who understands the "validity" of logic, but fallacy and contradiction to lie and manipulate, affecting the adherence of others to logic's "validity"?

Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
I'm not claiming 80% or 90% (in absolute terms) either.

Science only makes claims based on samples.  Out of 10,000 experiments, 50.32245% of (american penny) coin-flips land tails-up.

This reliability is measured in SIGMA.

Anything less than 2 SIGMA should be considered suspect (for scientific purposes).
You stated that "we couldn't conclude that it's 100% true." This suggests that you are aware of a 100% state of truth to which you are relating our current state. What is 100% true? A sample of every human on earth? If we can't make conclusions with 100% veracity then what exactly are we "verifying"? Our confidence?

By "quite a few" do you mean exactly 2?
Were there just two? I thought that there were at least three: Copenhagen interpretation, De Broigle-Bohm Theory, and the Physical Interpretation (Quantum Entanglement, Non-Locality, and Coherence.)

It is important because people often believe that "if someone makes a prediction that turns out to be true, they are more likely to make another prediction that turns out to be true".  They tend to conflate that person with "a trusted source".

And this is one of the tactics of a con-artist.

If you don't know exactly HOW the person made a prediction that turned out to be accurate, there is absolutely no reason for anyone to believe that their next guess is going to turn out to be accurate.

For example, in ancient Greece when Democrates demonstrated an ability to predict the weather, people thought he was a god and started asking for all kinds of non-weather related predictions.
Why is what someone believes important to anyone other than themselves? Second, what standard makes a belief have "reason"? And finally, are you suggesting that scientific the verification ought to receive the esteem and idolatry that the ancient Greeks showed Democrates? Idolatry is okay as long as it has an acceptable reason?

Scientific verification determines REAL-TRUE-FACTS TAUTOLOGICALLY (by definition).
By one definition, yes.

Athias
Athias
That is a reasonable, INDUCTIVE conclusion that is untestable (unfalsifiable) and NOT a REAL-TRUE-FACT.
Perhaps, but it's no less inductive than stating that every person who can think has a brain.

This (and any other) "truth" has no "value" UNLESS it has some PRACTICAL APPLICATION.

Any "truth" that is unverified or unverifiable or unfalsifiable or undiscovered or secret is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM PURE FICTION.

It is important to maintain a constant awareness of and vigilant respect of our epistemological limits.
And what does one gain from the practical application of "truth"?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
...the Physical Interpretation (Quantum Entanglement, Non-Locality, and Coherence.)
Please explain where I can find this "Physical Interpretation".
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Perhaps, but it's no less inductive than stating that every person who can think has a brain.
Hypothetical time-travel =/= neuroscience.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
And what does one gain from the practical application of "truth"?
Escape from delusion.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
So the significance in the distinction is the distinction itself? What does the distinction produce?
Are you suggesting you don't see the value of distinguishing truth from un-truth?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
If we can't make conclusions with 100% veracity then what exactly are we "verifying"? Our confidence?
Yes.  SIGMA is a measure of justifiable confidence.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
Please explain where I can find this "Physical Interpretation"

Hypothetical time-travel =/= neuroscience.
Your contention against the posit that the mind is self-evident is that it can't be tested with "100%" veracity. When asked to explain this, you suggest that it's untestable and that sample sizes are insufficient to claim 100% veracity. How has neuroscience resolved this? That is, how has neuroscience escaped inductive arguments for those whom it hasn't tested?

Escape from delusion.
Define delusion.

Are you suggesting you don't see the value of distinguishing truth from un-truth?
I don't see "truth" as you do.

Yes.  SIGMA is a measure of justifiable confidence.
But you're gauging your confidence to begin with. What, then, is "justifiable" confidence?
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@3RU7AL
@Athias
Escape from delusion.
Ha Ha, score ten for 3Bru7al

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Athias
Define delusion.
Athias and many others in this forum.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Athias
ut you're gauging your confidence to begin with. What, then, is "justifiable" confidence?
Is the boat sinking and what are our chances of survival dropping rapidly:

1} When more than 50% of your body is underwater, and,

2} you no flotation device,

3} no land within 5 meters under you,

4} no land within 50 miles laterally to you,

5} no communication devices,

6} no rational, logical common sense abilities.