verbverb: hate; 3rd person present: hates; past tense: hated; past participle: hated; gerund or present participle: hating
- 1.feel intense dislike for."the boys hate each other"synonyms:loathe, detest, dislike greatly, abhor, abominate, despise, execrate, feel aversion towards, feel revulsion towards, feel hostile towards, be repelled by, be revolted by, regard with disgust, not be able to bear/stand, be unable to stomach, find intolerable, shudder at, recoil from, shrink from;Moreinformalhate someone's guts;raredisrelish"the boys hate each other"antonyms:love, like
- have a strong aversion to (something)."he hates flying"
- used politely to express one's regret or embarrassment at doing something."I hate to bother you"synonyms:be sorry, be reluctant, be loath, be unwilling, be disinclined;Moreregret, dislike, not like, hesitate"I hate to bother you"
- informalexpress strong dislike for; criticize or abuse."I can't hate on them for trying something new"nounnoun: hate
- 1.intense dislike."feelings of hate and revenge"synonyms:loathing, hatred, detestation, dislike, distaste, abhorrence, abomination, execration, resentment, aversion, hostility, ill will, ill feeling, bad feeling;Moreenmity, animosity, antagonism, antipathy, bitterness, animus, revulsion, disgust, contempt, repugnance, odium, rancour;raredisrelish"feelings of hate and revenge"antonyms:love, liking
- denoting hostile actions motivated by intense dislike or prejudice.modifier noun: hate"a hate campaign"
- informalan intensely disliked person or thing.plural noun: hates"Richard's pet hate is filling in his tax returns"synonyms:bugbear, bane, bogey, bugaboo, pet aversion, thorn in one's flesh/side, bane of one's life;bête noire"Richard's pet hate is filling in his tax returns"antonyms:favourite thing
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple.