The atheist forum

Author: janesix

Total: 90
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@SkepticalOne
I observe topics of religion needn't be from a perspective of belief. 
That's something I wasn't implying if that's what you are trying to get at.  I guess I'm off on a tangent from the forum topic.

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@ludofl3x
Please give me an example of anything else where in order for me to understand it, I have to understand it already. Where it is impossible for me to figure out the answer for myself without accepting someone else's answer (that cannot be demonstrated in any way) as correct already. These are answers you can't question. 
I'm not saying you can't question things, but as a matter of practicality.  You are framing this as if you've already ascertained that something is literally impossible for you to figure out.  You can't go back in history and witness a demonstration, if that might satisfy this line of questioning.

SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@janesix
Discussion can lead to a better understanding of our own views as well as those of others. This can lead to better arguments or acceptance of a flawed view. Without going further, this alone makes the world a better place, but having a better grasp of a position and an improved ability to express it makes larger audiences less daunting.

ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
-->
@Snoopy
That isn't what I'm asking. If there's a god that's timeless, it should not require time travel to demonstrate it. It's either there or it isn't. Can you offer any demonstration at all?

If I told you I owned a rhinoceros, and I rode it to work today, would you believe me? 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@Snoopy
That's something I wasn't implying if that's what you are trying to get at.  I guess I'm off on a tangent from the forum topic.

In that case, I guess I didn't understand altogether what you were saying. We'll get it right next time! 😄
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@SkepticalOne
What would be your plan of action for making the world a better place, starting from there?
Snoopy
Snoopy
its not always appropriate for you to take everyone off on some empirical tangent.  Imagine you're the one kid with ten thousand questions whose holding up the class from getting through the lesson. 
I think this is a false equivalence: we are under no time pressure as in a classroom. And a student's questions are only annoying if you can't answer them, I think. "Why does gravity work" has a defined (if complicated) answer. This is exactly where we SHOULD be going off on tangents. 
I'm not sure if anyone actually knows why gravity works.  We do have theories incorporating relationships with the concept.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Snoopy
Ok, but there is significant demonstration of gravity, including formulas, multiple and consistent demonstrations of it working according to these calculations, consistently across the universe as far as we can tell. No one says "well, that's what it is, it's just gravity, and if you don't get it, it's because you don't really WANT to get it." And the best part is if you want to offer an alternative to gravity, you're free to do so. Scientists don't say "how dare you question my understanding of gravity." They say "show your work." When I ask you to show your work, you say "You can't ask that, you're not a true believer so you'll never believe it."

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@ludofl3x
That isn't what I'm asking. If there's a god that's timeless, it should not require time travel to demonstrate it. It's either there or it isn't. Can you offer any demonstration at all?
Everything is expected to be the way it is.  We can't go back to the times of Moses and talk to a bush.  We can't see Jesus go to his crucifixion.  The Jews and the Christians are still among us though.

If I told you I owned a rhinoceros, and I rode it to work today, would you believe me? 
Totally random but, that would be awesome.  I love it when people ride ridiculous things to work.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Snoopy
Everything is expected to be the way it is.  We can't go back to the times of Moses and talk to a bush.  We can't see Jesus go to his crucifixion.
So, then short answer is "no"? 

Totally random but, hat would be awesome.  I love it when people ride ridiculous things to work.  
It WAS awesome. Do you believe me?
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@ludofl3x
It WAS awesome. Do you believe me?
No, why do you ask?
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Snoopy
Why do you not believe me? Actually more importantly, what would convince you?
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@ludofl3x
There's no reason in particular.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Snoopy
What would convince you I rode my rhino to work today? 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@ludofl3x
I don't know, to be honest.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Snoopy
Really? I think you're being a little slippery here. If I took a picture of me (presuming you knew what I looked like, who I was, etc.) on top of my rhino, in my company parking lot, with my workbag, holding today's newspaper, you don't think that'd be at least enough evidence for you to say "feasible based on this evidence." If I showed you receipts for rhino food, a ticket I got from a police officer two days ago for riding an unauthorized animal on city streets and not cleaning up after it, and a local newspaper account of my rhino causing all sorts of problems in a parking lot, you wouldn't think "definitely him, reasonable to assume he is riding a rhino to work"? 

My point is you'd demand evidence of this, right, in order to even begin to believe it? And even then you'd think "Well, he could be faking it, photoshop, friend at the newspaper," etc.? Wouldn't that be reasonable? THen I said Ok, snoopster, I know you don't believe me. Here's what I'll do: you can come to my house and ride my rhino to YOUR work. If you did that, then you'd have no choice but to be convinced, because you'd experienced my riding rhino first hand, right?

We know rhinos exist. This is beyond dispute. You would still demand proof because my claim is so outlandish, even though (a) people have jobs (b) people have animals (c) rhinos exist and (d) people use animals as transport sometimes. Is that fair to say? 

You do not demand this same level of proof or evidence for your religion. Your answer is "you have to believe it before you believe it." 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@ludofl3x
Oh, I think its feasible if you were wondering about that.  The first thing that crossed my mind is that you would have to have an outdoor job where the animal could be fed, watered, and cleaned after, not going to some parking lot. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Snoopy
I'm sorry, but I am having a hard time believing you're engaging in a good faith discussion on the topic. You'd believe me SIMPLY if I told you I had a job as a rancher who rides a rhino? You'd believe it on its face based only on that information? I hate to think the religious are all this credulous, it's too much of a stereotype. But you're making it tough. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@ludofl3x
I don't imagine I would believe you.  I've been around rodeo, and there are honorable people who would ride anything. 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@janesix
If we strive to hold true beliefs (and are willing to put our views up to scrutiny), then the world is a better place.
janesix
janesix
-->
@SkepticalOne
That is quaint. I don't really believe that.changing the world takes action.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Snoopy
Thanks for proving my point: you would accept literally no proposition that's far, far, far less outlandish than "magic being spoke universe into existence", without evidence and reason to do so. And you're also not being very sporting about the idea of debate with someone who disagrees with you, at all. I almost feel like I've bullied you, I'm sorry. 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@janesix
I don't really believe that.changing the world takes action.
Ok. What does it take in your view?
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@ludofl3x
Thanks for proving my point: you would accept literally no proposition that's far, far, far less outlandish than "magic being spoke universe into existence", without evidence and reason to do so. And you're also not being very sporting about the idea of debate with someone who disagrees with you, at all. I almost feel like I've bullied you, I'm sorry. 
You'll have to explain my unsportsmanlike conduct. I've met people into formal debate, but have little experience with it outside of philosophical consideration.  As far as I'm concerned I've been having normal discourse with you.

The notion is especially unconducive to taking literally since there was not any recognizable medium through which to speak.
janesix
janesix
-->
@SkepticalOne
Becoming vocal, even political. Look at Richard Dawkins. He writes books, has debates and discussions publically. He started out as an unknown mediocre biologist. Now he has hundreds of thousands of followers. He has probably changed many minds on the subject of religion. He is a household name. 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@janesix
Becoming vocal, even political. Look at Richard Dawkins. He writes books, has debates and discussions publically. 

I would argue this is an action. This is beside my point though.  Beliefs inform actions, so it makes sense to evaluate beliefs for validity. That happens here. 

janesix
janesix
-->
@SkepticalOne
It appears to be ineffective for changing the world. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@janesix
Look at Richard Dawkins... He is a household name. 
Yeah, well, Dawkins might be rich and famous,  but does he have any DArt medals, or is he on top of the leaderboard?  I don't think so!

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@janesix
Because I find stupidity (religious belief ) stupid you think there's something wrong with me? Examine your stupid beliefs and try again.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@janesix
It appears to be ineffective for changing the world. 
It has changed me and the way that I deal with other people. If that's not 'changing the world' nothing is.