The atheist forum

Author: janesix

Total: 90
disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
-->
@janesix
Why are you godists so obsessed with R. Dawkins?
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@keithprosser
He probably applies the 80/20 rule. Most effective people do.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@janesix
So you've decided before hand that all religions are wrong. 
Is it possible to decide before hand that all religions are right?
janesix
janesix
-->
@disgusted
Richard Dawkins has some good points, which I agree with. Otherwise, he is an interesting human being. If worse comes to worse, I would rather have an atheist, yet humanist society than, say, a Muslim or Young Earth type Christian society. 

That being said, I see civilized society going in an atheistic direction. I just want to see it going in a humanist direction, and Dawkins seems to stand for those ideals.
janesix
janesix
-->
@3RU7AL
No because that would require too many contradictions.
janesix
janesix
-->
@SkepticalOne
Sure, there are obvious ways to change the world. You can pretend you are, so you don't have to do any real work.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@janesix
No because that would require too many contradictions.
So how do you pick the right one?
janesix
janesix
-->
@3RU7AL
There may not be a current "right" one. The right religion may not exist yet. Perhaps it existed sometime in the past. Perhaps no one can figure it out, because God is elusive. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@janesix
There may not be a current "right" one. The right religion may not exist yet. Perhaps it existed sometime in the past. Perhaps no one can figure it out, because God is elusive. 
Isn't agnosticism functionally identical to atheism?

I mean, if you don't subscribe to a specific theistic being, aren't you technically an atheist (not-a-theist)?
janesix
janesix
-->
@3RU7AL
I consider myself a theist, although sometimes I could technically be called an agnostic. If you asked me if I believed in God, my honest answer would be yes, it is my gut intuition, it is based on religious and spiritual experience. I believe in a personal God, who listens to us. I don't know the nature of God. I haven't figured it out. 
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@janesix
God is not elusive, he exists in the minds of simple humans.
janesix
janesix
-->
@disgusted
Go crawl back under your rock.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@janesix
Reality is scary, ain't it? Try facing it rather than running away from it, you'll find that it isn't that scary after all. You will die, it's very natural.
janesix
janesix
-->
@disgusted
Religion has nothing to do with fear of death. You need to do a little research.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@janesix
You wanna bet? What do you expect to get from your god belief? Do you expect to die and that is the end? Do you expect that there is nothing, literally, when you cease to live? Because that is the reality, do you believe in reality?
janesix
janesix
-->
@disgusted
I have no idea what happens when we die, and neither do you. 
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@janesix
But you have godist fantasies about it. Despite ALL the evidence your god belief allows you to believe that death is not the end. ALL the evidence.
janesix
janesix
-->
@disgusted
What evidence?
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@janesix
ALL the evidence.
janesix
janesix
-->
@disgusted
Like what?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@SkepticalOne
The negative aspects of religion are more deeply felt by non-believers
Not always the case at all, now what about the positive aspects though if you wanna be fair?? when you evaluate religion and spirituality as a whole you will observe both the positive and negative sides of it (as I have). The question is, is how long can you justify rejecting Theism because there are some negative sides to it. Do you know why there are negative sides to it? because there are people involved, this is a dual environment no matter if it's spiritual or non spiritual. This part of creation has the full swing of duality including the religious arena.
(unbelievers of a particular religion or unbelievers in general) and often unknown or dismissed by believers.
I can be free to discuss with you the stupidity of religion, that's easy! you want me to start?
Where else can a discussion about this be had if not forums meant for discussion?
The point of course, is that it's more an atheist forum really than that which spirituality and religion can be really weighed and articulated. It's usually just atheists trying to shut down beliefs or mocking them, not really debate or consider them. Rarely do I see what you call a "discussion" lol. That would be great.

SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@EtrnlVw
I dare say you've not understood my point at all. My reply was not about religion being evil or "stupid", but why atheists may feel compelled to seek discourse with believers. eg. inappropriate intrusions into their lives by believers. 

I have no interest in a discussion about the "stupidity of religion". I'll leave that to newly de-converted and those offended by it. 

Also, if we're going to consider this an atheist forum, then let me be the first to welcome anyone, everyone with ANY perspective on religion (belief, non-belief, other?). There are plenty of forum threads to go 'round! 😁

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@janesix
I consider myself a theist, although sometimes I could technically be called an agnostic. If you asked me if I believed in God, my honest answer would be yes, it is my gut intuition, it is based on religious and spiritual experience. I believe in a personal God, who listens to us. I don't know the nature of God. I haven't figured it out. 
So, you believe in a personal god, but not in a specific theology?

That sounds like gnosticism (belief based on personal revelation) to me.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@disgusted
ALL the evidence.
It's sort of an overwhelming LACK of evidence (of an afterlife).
disgusted
disgusted
ET
how long can you justify rejecting Theism because there are some negative sides to it
That's irrelevant, theism is rejected because it is based solely and entirely on the protection of a man made claim that gods exist.
Gods don't exist and theism is the LIE that tries to establish the veracity of the gods created by human imagination.

BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas

Heaven exists, because none other than the words of Jesus the Christ says it does within the scriptures, period!

“Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.” (Acts 1:11)

Since our Jesus went to heaven 2000+ years ago, as shown in the passage above, and just because He has yet to return like He said He would within the generation of the living at the time, He still purports that there is a Heaven, praise!

We TRUE Christians have to understand that every word of our Jesus, as Yahweh God incarnate, is true! “EVERY word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.“ (Proverbs 30:5)

Deducing it down to the irreducible primary, our glorious Heaven exists, whereas if it didn't, there is absolutely no reason to be a Christian. Furthermore, thank Jesus that there will be NO WOMEN in our paradise of Heaven, praise!

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@BrotherDThomas
The mythical words of the mythical Jesus god. Bwuahahahahahaha. Pass.
The abject fear of death. bwuahahahahahahah
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@disgusted
I don't think its safe to assume that guy believes what he is saying.
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@disgusted

Disgusted,

YOUR VAIN ATTEMPT IN ANSWERING MY POST TO YOU: "The mythical words of the mythical Jesus god. Bwuahahahahahaha. Pass.
The abject fear of death. bwuahahahahahahah

The irony is the fact that you can't prove beyond any reasonable doubt that Jesus' words are mythical, therefore your position is in vain.

NEXT?

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
no, most people are Christian, though BroD is an atheist