What's up with all the mass shootings & terrorism in USA?

Author: Yassine

Total: 109
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
What was the news like back in the wild-west? 
Correct..media pushing a narrative wasn't a factor back then.

I'm just saying the image that some whacko would go in and shoot a bunch of people in the wild west as depicted in the movies(media) never historically happened. In addition to those 2 problems I described 1) fatherless homes..2) Race-baiting...you can add on 3) media sensationalizing and pushing a narrative they hope crazy people will follow which will then generate profits for them. 

those 3 things should be addressed before attempting to disarm the country.

If the "wild west" had those 3 problems back then, I'm sure you would have seen a similar amount of crazy, maladjusted people blowing up churches and town halls and general stores with Dynomite and sniping people from towers with stolen Remington rifles. (but that only happened in the movies)...no matter who was president or how many guns other people owned.

Those 3 problems are fucking brutal to a functioning society.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
so called autism epidemic where the true cause for the uptick in diagnoses is broader definitions and better detection.

There's also a push from big pharma to incentivize psychologists to hyper- diagnose kids to push pill sales.

Another epidemic aided by a fake narrative.

dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
To be clear, when I say "What was the news like", I mean how many incidents of gun violence were actually reported and recorded and how would the news of the wild-west differ to modern day news in terms of spurring on acts of gun violence. Not your "WAHHHHHHH FAKE NARRATIVE NEWS BAD" take.

Apart from this, if those things are significant problems then they certainly should be addressed. However they certainly aren't problems unique to America and there's no reason to do them specifically before "disarming" the country.

Finally, no matter how many ancillary reasons you bring up, the fact that no gun violence can occur without possession of guns in the first place is an unassailable truth.

Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@dustryder
People are talking about indiscriminate life threatening violence.  You've got to know "Gun violence" being violence with a gun is trivial, right?  
triangle.128k
Debates: 0
triangle.128k
If you're talking about the El Paso one, it was obviously staged and a hoax. I doubt anybody here is going to believe me, you'll only begin accepting it once it's too late. The media has basically reached another level of absurdity.

I'll post some evidence later. 

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi

states with more gun control have fewer mass shootings.... for more on that an for an overview of gun control science, see here: 
guneducationalinformation.weebly.com

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
 FAKE NARRATIVE NEWS is BAD though...how does society benefit from corporate media profit-driven narratives?

Also, feel free to address the fatherless epidemic sometime before you become a grandfather.
disgusted
disgusted
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

@LCBeaudoin Big Second Amendment believer but background checks to weed out the sicko's are fine.

He's about to eliminate half his base from owning guns.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@n8nrgmi
states with more gun control have fewer mass shootings....

Chigaco, that's all I need to say
Summy_1738
Summy_1738
That's not the important thing now whether or not the gun trade is shut down what is the most important thing is the hate that is bring spread by the media and eveyone else who is trying so hard to defame others with tag names of terrorism .we should find a way to deal with the #whitesupremacyterrorism .together we stand to change for good

Summy_1738
Summy_1738
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Don't you think there is more than that .instead of insisting to stop the gun trade which I totally agree to , we should focus on the most important issue of hate that is being spread by the media .we should find ways to tackle  white supremacy terrorism as it  spreads unfairness in the world causing more damage leading to the hate and blood , therefore we should ensure that the media comes clean on #whitesupremacyterrorism and together we can make the changes 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Summy_1738
I agree and get rid of Islamic Terrorism by banning the Quran as hate speech
Summy_1738
Summy_1738
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I am a Muslim .And I don't think terrorism is linked to Muslims or the Qur'an. The Quran and according to the teachings of the prophet Muhammad we are not supposed to kill inocent people and islam itself means peace , therefore whoever is killing in the name of Islam is not actually a Muslim rather using islam as a escape goat .I think people don't actually know what islam teaches  us .jihad is an Arabic word mentioned in the Qur'an which means striving or struggling .our prophet taught us that the greatest jihad is  to battle our own soul to fight the evil within Your self not the preaching of evil and killing .I Belive and follow His teachings therefore it is not fair enough for all the Muslims to suffer being tagged terrorist  just because some few people used islam as a way to approve killing of innocent people .I would urge people to actually go find the teachings in the Qur'an and learn from it before subjecting that Quran is a book that preaches evil.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Summy_1738
I am a Muslim .
Conversation over
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
so you choose to ignore the trend and focus on an exception? the trend says places with more gun control have fewer mass shootings and fewer homicides. this is a fact, it's science. you're just too stupid to understand
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@n8nrgmi
HAHAHHA, NO look at Britain and Mexico 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
as usual, you appear to be too incompetent to converse with, but here is some evidence..... how do you respond?

-where there is more gun control, there is less murder. this is the scientific consensus, as shown with the literature review. being a literature review makes this a lot more informing than just being a single study; we see the consensus forming. also included is a link to a poll of scientists but a literature review itself makes the claims even stronger.
-where there are more guns, there is more murder, across geographic regions from localities and larger. this is also a lot more informing because it a literature review of lots of studies. what's more, people are shown not to kill with other weopons instead of guns, as is often argued, because if they did there would be no correlation here.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgmi
Every mass shooting is done in a gun-free zone. Checkmate.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@n8nrgmi
I'm not reading your propoganda,LOL paraphrase what was said IN THE PASSAGE
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@n8nrgmi
Dont use vox
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Greyparrot
i would guess that most mass shootings occur in non gun free zones, because most places are not gun free and most shootings that i see are not gun free. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Greyparrot
only thirteen percent of mass shootings happen in gun free zones

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
@Snoopy
People are talking about indiscriminate life threatening violence.  You've got to know "Gun violence" being violence with a gun is trivial, right?  
I disagree. Guns are a readily available and effective force multiplier tool. They are a significant factor when discussing indiscriminate life threatening violence.

FAKE NARRATIVE NEWS is BAD though...how does society benefit from corporate media profit-driven narratives?

Also, feel free to address the fatherless epidemic sometime before you become a grandfather.
I agree that profit-driven narratives aren't particularly helpful. However I'm wary of people screeching it as a vague cover-all for media that they disagree with or don't like. If you are going to use fake narrative news as an excuse, I would like to see more than just "FAKE NEWS BAD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE".
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@dustryder
I disagree. Guns are a readily available and effective force multiplier tool. They are a significant factor when discussing indiscriminate life threatening violence.

Maybe there is some additional context I'm unaware of, but no one is saying up till this point that guns are irrelevant to problems in the United States, to my knowledge anyway.  For example, people can pack heat while they are on their way to do immoral things, and someone might be needlessly shot in the process, although that's another subject.  I take the obvious for granted, that boomsticks could be called a force multiplier.  Anything that can effectively impale, burn, crush, dissable etc...  is a force multiplier.  

I asked if you realize your use of "gun violence" as being violence with a gun was trivial.  To put another way when you say you can't have gun violence without a gun, you aren't stating that someone doesn't commit mass murder because they say to themselves "Damn, I'm gunless!"  You're just stating that if a massive amounts of violence isn't committed with a gun, that it isn't gun violence.  No one cares how a foreign object came to put their parts to leaking.

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Snoopy
I asked if you realize your use of "gun violence" as being violence with a gun was trivial.  To put another way when you say you can't have gun violence without a gun, you aren't stating that someone is impeded because they say to themselves "Damn, I'm gunless!"  You're just stating that if a massive amounts of violence isn't committed with a gun, that it isn't gun violence.  No one cares how a foreign object came to put their parts to leaking.
Oh I see. My intended interpretation of the statement was a bit more like "All these examples of mass shootings could not have occurred if the shooter did not possess a gun and was unable to acquire one" which is closer to your first interpretation.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
Read the 3rd cause in this article.

That provides a tangible link as to why neglected and abused kids find validation through the media. 

While having a national fatherless epidemic alone or a sensationalist media alone probably does not breed many mass shooters, the MIXTURE of those 2 things is most certainly toxic enough to account for most abused and neglected shooters seeking validation. Which of those 2 national social problems would you like to see tackled and how?

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
What is the fake narrative that the article is describing there?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
I'll cut and past it for you.

Third, most of the shooters had studied the actions of other shooters and sought validation for their motives. People in crisis have always existed. But in the age of 24-hour rolling news and social media, there are scripts to follow that promise notoriety in death. (profit-driven narrative) Societal fear and fascination with mass shootings partly drives the motivation to commit them. Hence, as we have seen in the last week, mass shootings tend to come in clusters. They are socially contagious. Perpetrators study other perpetrators and model their acts after previous shootings. Many are radicalized online in their search for validation from others that their will to murder is justified.
RationalMadman
Debates: 563
RationalMadman
-->
@Greyparrot
Which Wing, Right or Left, is radicalising these types? Whether Muslim or Christian, which Wing society do they always heavily support?
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
That's a rather vague statement. Which medias are actively driving the narrative that there is notoriety in death? How do you know that they are doing this intentionally from a profit motivated angle?

Or is it simply your argument that reporting acts of gun violence is in itself the driver for the narrative of notoriety in death?

Moreover would this actually be a "fake" news narrative? It is simply a fact that rare events that lead to significant losses of human life are generally news worthy for some period of time, with the perpetrator being a part of that news