Is it Racist to Not Date a Particular Race?

Author: Stronn

Total: 169
Stronn
Debates: 0
Stronn
For the sake of argument, assume that someone doesn't discriminate based on race except in one area: dating. Is that racist?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Stronn
Is that racist?

I would say it would depend on whether it's a preference or an ideology. If it's just a preference then no, preference being an attraction, ideology being a system of ideas about a particular group or race. 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Not if ya don't tell no one.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Ever been to a sporting event ?
Castin
Castin
People can't fully control what they're attracted to.
XLAV
XLAV
I wouldn't date no nigga
Smithereens
Debates: 2
Smithereens
-->
@Stronn
yes, it is racist because racism by definition is the discrimination of individuals by their race as opposed to any other relevant trait.

no, there's nothing wrong with that in this situation. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Smithereens
Hey hi smith
What about ,  Australia  v  New Zealand in the Rugby for example,   Is it " Racist " to cheer.?

And everyone in the army , navy , airforce is everyone of em racist?

And the is there a different between being  a patriot and being a racist?

Good day.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
And the meaning of the word Discrimination , 
Then you have to have the meaning of the word  unjust and prejudicial..
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
What about sporting teams in the same country?  Cheering for one or the other ,  Not  Racist ?
But when your favourite team plays a team from another country cheering for one or the other , thats Racist ?
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
Yeah, it is racist.

in breaking news, not everything that can be classified as racist is necessarily wrong. Particularly when the alternative is forcing people to date those they otherwise are not attracted to and/or behaviorally conditioning them against their will.  

Sometimes, whether or not something is racist, is irrelevant to whether it's right or wrong, and irrelevant to whether or not people should be concerned about it. This is one of those times 👍
Smithereens
Smithereens
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
no, discrimination based on ethnic grouping constitutes racism. That's not racism. 

38 days later

Aporia
Aporia
I think it's important to note that just because an action has ties (or connections) to racism doesn't mean it's necessarily a racist action or that every person that performs that action is a racist. Answers to questions like these aren't usually aren't simple and have some nuance even if the action itself isn't particularly thought out.

That being said, in Western society it seems clear that certain preferences have ties to (historically) racist attitudes and conceptions of non-white peoples. Prioritizing lighter skin, avoidance of course hair, idolizing (mainly) white stereotypes of beauty, fetishizing some peoples as sexually servile or others as sexually animalistic etc. are historically encoded preferences with roots in racism and ties to racial stereotyping.

That doesn't mean people are conscious of these ties or that racially discriminatory preferences are tied to malice. But just as well these are not natural attitudes inasmuch as not being racially discriminatory isn't unnatural. I think it takes quite the reductionist viewpoint to justify a racial preference as being encoded biologically.

This also ties in to fetishizing stereotypes employed in the reverse such as with black men (animalistic, subjugator) and Asian women (servile, subjected). Black women interestingly are commonly subject to both of these attitudes simultaneously (exclusionary and fetishizing). These attitudes are also well documented in the new niches set up in gay online dating (specifically regarding Middle Eastern/Indian men).

These attitudes should change. They likely will not be changed by calling those people racist even if their preferences are rooted in the unconscious history of fetishization, white idolation, or outright racism. Weve seen in years past a general digging in the heels effect when a debate begins with morak aggrandizing (even if the feelings at the root of such a position are justified). Showing the historical discontinuity regarding preference and it's historical (even generational) malleability is a good place to start.
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@Stronn
Yes, they necessarily believe in a race and that it is inferior with respect to their dating preferences to act upon that belief accordingly through discrimination on the basis of race. 

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
If you're generally not attracted to the physical traits of most members of a certain group, then that's simply a matter of preference. However, if you were to find a member of that group who was attractive to you and you still would not date them on some kind of racial "principle", then yes, it is, and it's wrong.

That being said, accompanying racial differences is often a difference in background that might in some circumstances justify keeping your distance.
Aporia
Aporia
-->
@Swagnarok
Where do you think "preference" stems from?
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@Aporia
From roughly the same place as preferences such as long hair, tomboy cut, blonde, brunette, tall, short, etc. A lot of guys are attracted to Asian women, just based on how they look, and that has little to do with cultural or social factors.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
No not necessarily. I mean you may not be attracted to them. Idk

39 days later

Analgesic.Spectre
Debates: 1
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Stronn
Racist/racism are terms which slander; they do not accurately define the world: https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/174

Besides, attraction is derived from subconscious drives (such as detection of pheromones, something completely subconscious). Negative attribution to a phenomenon, beyond the control of those experiencing it, seems rather harsh. 

8 days later

KingLaddy01
KingLaddy01
-->
@Stronn
Racism is defined is "unjust treatment/hatred among a race or person of X race."

Humans subconsciously want to be with somebody because they are sexually attracted to them. The key word being subconscious as they may as well be attracted to their personality, but your eyes need to not melt when looking at somebody. 

There have been studies that show that Americans are generally more attracted to white people than black people. More to the point, white Americans, but white represent the majority. Black people were only considered more attractive where black women are factored in. In this statistic, they rated black men an average of 16%, and white men an average of 0%. Pf course, this is a dating and not the real world, but I'd put all my money into betting real world results are fairly similar. https://theblog.okcupid.com/race-and-attraction-2009-2014-107dcbb4f060

There also may be a culture issue (Which could make someone's case for this being racist). One might avoid dating a black woman because they are purportedly loud and annoying. However, none of this is discrimination if you do not speak it out.

There may be hatred involved, but the hatred alone and how you choose to treat people based on who you would date is what settles whether or not you are a racist, not your choice not to date a particular type of race.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@KingLaddy01
Humans subconsciously want to be with somebody because they are sexually attracted to them.
Humans are primarily attracted to other humans because of the desire to share energy ergo communication etc.

Visually attractive looks is 2ndary

Sex comes in third via genetic drive, that is strong, but not primary to most humans unless there is phermone? No conclusive finds in humans, regarding sex.

..."Some of the first evidence for subtle smell cueing came from reports that women who lived in close quarters, such as those in college dorms, ended up with synchronized menstrual cycles. Subsequent research has shown that armpit sweat—from females or males—when placed on women's upper lip, can modify cycle time."...

.."In humans, the most salient example for a releaser pheromone does not involve sex but rather its product: newborn babies, who seem to be guided to a mother's breast by scent. "Newborns will move in the direction of the odor source,"...

.."Odors given off by the breasts of breast-feeding women, for example, can render childless females downright randy—although a particular chemical messenger remains unidentified. H.H.U.'s Pause, meanwhile, has demonstrated that humans can sense alarm scents in anxious or fearful people's perspiration. Yet more studies with sweat have explored the strongest isolated candidate so far for a human pheromone, known as androstadienone, which derives from the male hormone testosterone."....

Look and this following photo and see if your attracted to it sexually

If yes, you have psycho issues beyond DArts ability to deal with them.

If no, then your not a racist Trumpanzee Clone and need to afraid for humanities future.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
is the "blacks only" online dating racist? 

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Stronn
For the sake of argument, assume that someone doesn't discriminate based on race except in one area: dating. Is that racist?
Heck yeah it's racist. I use to say i don't date any blacks or Indians, but i soon found out there are a lot of blacks and a lot of Indians. I have a particular taste when it comes to looks that certain races have a lot more of than others, but guess what, so do the above races. Very, very few of them, but they do have it. So, for me to say i cannot be attracted to "any" of that race is based on racism. Whatever type of look you like... you will find within said race. If you are still not attracted, it's probably bc of racism. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Outplayz
so you like the black and Indian women that look white, sure I get it LOL j/k I generally don't find fat chicks appealing, though the plus size model in sports-illustrated swim suit edition was attractive, but I would never date a woman taller than me or that weighed more than me.  what kind of ists does that make me cause I'm making a list and trying ways to add more to it!  oh and no bald chicks, if you are into that, good for you, it ain't my thang.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
so you like the black and Indian women that look white, sure I get it LOL j/k
That's actually true. Since the look i'm most attracted to is typically found in white girls. 

I generally don't find fat chicks appealing
It doesn't matter what race, fat girls are extremely unattractive to me... even chubby. I tend to like girls of the anorexic variety. They can have a little meat on their bones... but i'm into thin girls. Eating disorders encouraged lol j/k... well sorta ;p But that is what goes into your style... those are the characteristics i can find in any race. That's why it borders racism if i still don't like a race that meets all my usual requirements. 

oh and no bald chicks, if you are into that, good for you, it ain't my thang.
Well now we are getting into what can be deep or just racist. "All" black girls? Even mixed? Is it bc you wouldn't want family members that are black (racist)? Is it bc you don't like their culture (racist)? Or are you talking about just one type...? I've never met a very dark skinned black girl i've found attractive, nor have i seen any models i would say are attractive... but, i can't say with confidence i wouldn't find one attractive. Actually, i might have seen one in a movie once i found attractive, but the lowest percentage of my what i find attractive is in the very dark skinned black women. Same goes for Indian. However, i've met and seen light skinned of both that were extremely beautiful. The only other reason i wouldn't date them would be of the racist variety. Either i don't want black family members bc i don't want that kind of culture or something else... i can't think of how it wouldn't be racist if i still passed on a girl i found attractive. Unless you literally find none of them attractive, which i find hard to believe but i guess could be possible. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Outplayz
I'm not following on the culture thing you talked about with regards to racist, racism.

there are very few Oriental women that I found attractive, the straight hair and moon faces just don't do it for me generally speaking.

the blacks only dating sites exclude on skin color.....but that's ok (insert excuses and justifications here)
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
there are very few Oriental women that I found attractive, the straight hair and moon faces just don't do it for me generally speaking.
And not all of them have that but a lot do. That's why there are certain races where i would say i am not attracted to the majority of them. Not Asians though... they hot. 

the blacks only dating sites exclude on skin color.....but that's ok (insert excuses and justifications here)
Sounds pretty racist to me. 

The culture thing i mean you hate "black culture" ... whatever that is. I guess that isn't a good description of what i meant. Say you don't want to have a family of people that talk like most black people do. I guess that's kinda culture. That i would say is racist. 

61 days later

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
As far as I'm concerned, it's always possible to find a woman attractive whatever her ehtnicity is. Always. Especially when you're thirsty. Lol.

Il Diavolo

22 days later

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
If I don't like chicken noodle soup, should I be forced to eat it?

If I don't like basketball, should I have to play it?
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Vader
If I don't like chicken noodle soup, should I be forced to eat it?

If you haven't eaten for 3 days, would you eat it?