Fix-US

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 143
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Where did he state that debt wasn't bad?
Where he mentions that you should learn to use debt as money (borrow fiat to trade real assets, like real estate).

I do agree with him that the baby boomers who are now retiring are going to be a huge problem. 
I'm surprised you haven't suggested a "Logan's Run" solution.

Oh, sure, ok, please explain your road-map to a better system.  I'm all ears.
Get rid of taxation; get of rid of centralized governments; privatize everything. Let policy be subject to the free-market. Does this not suffice? 
Do you really trust corporations to "do the right thing"?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
People who have basic food, clothing and shelter are less desperate and less likely to become criminals.
This is perhaps the largest abuse of statistics: conflating an observed trend with psychic readings of the future. Those who often cite a statistic do little to avoid the ecological inference problem. For example, Athias has purchased sweets every Saturday since he was twelve. It's likely he'll purchase sweets this Saturday. This is a sound inductive argument. Next, 60 percent of men who are six feet tall and above have purchased sweets every Saturday since they were twelve. It's likely that Athias will purchase sweets this Saturday as well. This argument is unsound. There's no empirical data on Athias in determining the prospect, just the group in which he is categorized. 

All the statistic can tell you is that which it observes at the moment, which is already based on an assumption using "confidence intervals." You can make an inductive argument assuming all conditions remain the same, but that'll never tell "what is likely?" 
What's your hypothesis regarding poverty and crime?  100% coincidence?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Are you suggesting that criminal behavior is an inscrutable mystery that can never be mitigated or resolved?
It's not a mystery. And yes crime will never be solved. Can it be mitigated? Yes if you can make the cost of committing the crime larger than not committing the crime. Can you write a policy measure which operates on an algorithm addressing the subjective values of each individual citizen? Good luck.
I love that you believe every criminal is a unique snowflake.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
Where he mentions that you should learn to use debt as money (borrow fiat to trade real assets, like real estate).
He doesn't once state that anyone should do that; he states that his "rich dad" told him that if he wants to "be a rich," then "learn how to use debt as money." He follows this up by mentioning the housing industry where because of debt the housing bubble had burst. If anything, it's a cautionary tale.

I'm surprised you haven't suggested a "Logan's Run" solution.
I'd never suggest death upon individuals who didn't have it coming. And I could only presume that the drafters of these entitlement policies didn't anticipate the baby boomers living this long. The baby boomers will learn soon enough that these entitlement policies, particularly social security, are nothing more than ponzi schemes.

Do you really trust corporations to "do the right thing"?
I don't trust the government to do the right thing, because it hasn't done the right thing. Any act of aggression by a private corporation can be met easily with a government act that is much, much worse. Of course, I don't simply presume that the absence of a central government would be a fix. But it would be a start. A moral revolution would have to take place as well.

Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@3RU7AL
Are you suggesting that criminal behavior is an inscrutable mystery that can never be mitigated or resolved?
Mitigated? Make non-violent illegal stuff legal. Solved? Not in the near future bc as long as Ferrari's exist and only some can have it, some will want it and get that Ferrari anyway they can... falling under legal or illegal. The real question is... Can you cage a human? I'm neutral to stuff, i'm a minimalist... but is the world like me... no. People exist... the more we cage someone from living, the more there will be crime. Location and family matter too... if i didn't come up in a loving family and middle class, i'm the type that would have resorted to crime most likely seeing that even with a cushy life i did criminal behavior in my drug days... why? Bc i wanted cash and cool stuff... and to get high and have sex. Thank Zeus i didn't go to prison bc if i did and had a record i wouldn't have my job most likely...so, i'd either be dead by now or a drug lord. You can't cage humans. I would have lived no matter what... and fortunately for society, my way just happened to go down the legal route. It's a roll of the dice.  
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
What's your hypothesis regarding poverty and crime?  100% coincidence?
I wouldn't base a hypothesis on a mere correlation, much less one with a rather unimpressive covariance and few controls. Do I believe that poverty may play a role that isn't showing in the data? Perhaps. But by the end of the day, to commit a crime is a decision. And people should be held accountable for their decisions first and foremost, "mitigating" factors notwithstanding.

I love that you believe every criminal is a unique snowflake.
Correction: I believe every individual is a "unique snowflake." Though, I don't know how this is relevant.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Of course, I don't simply presume that the absence of a central government would be a fix. But it would be a start. A moral revolution would have to take place as well. 
Would you call yourself a "wild-west" "live and let die" libertarian?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Outplayz
Mitigated? Make non-violent illegal stuff legal. Solved? Not in the near future bc as long as Ferrari's exist and only some can have it, some will want it and get that Ferrari anyway they can... falling under legal or illegal. The real question is... Can you cage a human? I'm neutral to stuff, i'm a minimalist... but is the world like me... no. People exist... the more we cage someone from living, the more there will be crime. Location and family matter too... if i didn't come up in a loving family and middle class, i'm the type that would have resorted to crime most likely seeing that even with a cushy life i did criminal behavior in my drug days... why? Bc i wanted cash and cool stuff... and to get high and have sex. Thank Zeus i didn't go to prison bc if i did and had a record i wouldn't have my job most likely...so, i'd either be dead by now or a drug lord. You can't cage humans. I would have lived no matter what... and fortunately for society, my way just happened to go down the legal route. It's a roll of the dice.  
What do you think would happen if we tried our best to give each kid an equal shot at life?
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
Would you call yourself a "wild-west" "live and let die" libertarian?
I wouldn't refer to myself as a libertarian at all. Much like the antifederalists and the liberals, the name at the very least has taken on a transformation. Political libertarians are really minarchists in disguise. Autarchist, anarchist, individualist, any of those would better suffice.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@3RU7AL
What do you think would happen if we tried our best to give each kid an equal shot at life?
I think the happier and more successful people are... there will be less violence and crime. But problem is, it's still a pyramid even if we give more chances. There is only so much room at the top going down, there will always be people not succeeding and/or succeeding to the level they wanted. And, some people won't take that lying down which is honestly a roll of the dice if they bite society back. So it depends on how you are defining a "equal shot at life" ... i think we need to fix more than just one thing to maximize that statement. Like widen the pyramid so more can be in positions of comfort if they have tried and worked towards it. 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Correction: I believe every individual is a "unique snowflake." Though, I don't know how this is relevant.
You seemed to be suggesting that each person is too unique for a general policy to apply to them.

Do you believe we should strive to have a system of laws that are custom tailored to each person individually?
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
You seemed to be suggesting that each person is too unique for a general policy to apply to them.
Seem is not an argument; you're suggesting a "solution" to crime. It's not that policy can't be applied; it's that policy won't achieve its intended result if it seeks to "solve" crime. General policy can only achieve some amount of acquiescence by exploiting the fear of death. But even that goes so far.

Do you believe we should strive to have a system of laws that are custom tailored to each person individually?
Yes, autarchy.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
it's that policy won't achieve its intended result if it seeks to "solve" crime. General policy can only achieve some amount of acquiescence by exploiting the fear of death. But even that goes so far. 
I've seen this one before, I believe it's called, "the perfect is the enemy of the good".

You're basically saying, you know for an ever-loving fact that "crime can never be solved", therefore you reason that anyone who even attempts such a feat is full of stuffing.

Have you considered what a "society" of self-sufficient-individuals would look like?

It's not a society, it's a bunch of hermits.

A society is a co-operative group of inter-dependent members.  Not a bunch of self-sufficient-individuals.

A self-sufficient-individual is, by definition, anti-social.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Outplayz
@3RU7AL
A society is a co-operative group of inter-dependent members.  Not a bunch of self-sufficient-individuals.
And they create;

free markets >< government

religion >< spirituality

yoga >< exercise programs

Outplayz is correct, there is always going to exist a pyramid of hierachies, however, what he does not get, is that the only humanity will survive is if the pyramid occurs from two direction.

top to bottom < and,

bottom to top > ergo,

a dypramid geometry patter <> with a fat middle class girdle i.e. very few at the top and at the bottom of the social order

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ebuc
a dipyramid geometry patter <> with a fat middle class girdle i.e. very few at the top and at the bottom of the social order
Well stated.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
I've seen this one before, I believe it's called, "the perfect is the enemy of the good".
Yes.

You're basically saying, you know for an ever-loving fact that "crime can never be solved", therefore you reason that anyone who even attempts such a feat is full of stuffing.
Yes.

Have you considered what a "society" of self-sufficient-individuals would look like?

It's not a society, it's a bunch of hermits.

A self-sufficient-individual is, by definition, anti-social.
Not at all. Consider David Riccardo's Law of Comparative Advantage in a microeconomic context. Whatever I decide to do with my time will produce an opportunity cost. Now I may not be reliant on anyone to provide my basic needs, but that doesn't mean that it would be in interests to attempt to do some of these tasks somewhat inefficiently unless my goal is isolation, which you unwittingly conflated with individualism. For example, I know how to cook; but I still go out to eat. Do you I "depend" on chefs to eat? By delegating some tasks to others who have also taken on an opportunity cost to specialize, I can focus on my own specialization(s) and cultivate expertise and efficiency as a result.

So no, I disagree with your description of a society. A society is a circuit of specialized individuals who trade resources (whether it be property, skills, or even company) in order to bring about a condition in which they believe they ought to live. As individuals, the extent of their participation begins and ends with them. This countermands Statist proproganda because it doesn't mesh with the notion of "dependency," which is just a platitude democracy proponents use to justify coercing minorities and dissenters into participation.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@ebuc
a dypramid geometry patter <> with a fat middle class girdle i.e. very few at the top and at the bottom of the social order
I think that's what i meant when i said widen the pyramid. I don't know what you mean by dypramid... but, i meant few at the bottom, more in the middle... and if i continued, i only think there should be certain people at the top... so fewer at the top too.   

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Not at all. Consider David Riccardo's Law of Comparative Advantage in a microeconomic context. Whatever I decide to do with my time will produce an opportunity cost. Now I may not be reliant on anyone to provide my basic needs, but that doesn't mean that it would be in interests to attempt to do some of these tasks somewhat inefficiently unless my goal is isolation, which you unwittingly conflated with individualism.
Wittingly.

For example, I know how to cook; but I still go out to eat. Do you I "depend" on chefs to eat? By delegating some tasks to others who have also taken on an opportunity cost to specialize, I can focus on my own specialization(s) and cultivate expertise and efficiency as a result.
Ok, sure, but do you have the ability to grow your own food, weave your own clothes, and build your own house?

People may start out as homesteaders on the open prairie, but after a couple of generations of "specialization" the ability to fulfill our basic needs evaporates.

So no, I disagree with your description of a society. A society is a circuit of specialized individuals who trade resources (whether it be property, skills, or even company) in order to bring about a condition in which they believe they ought to live. As individuals, the extent of their participation begins and ends with them.
Great, so where does "law and order" come from?  Can we rely on mob rule?  How do we defend against vigilantes? [LINK]

This countermands Statist proproganda because it doesn't mesh with the notion of "dependency," which is just a platitude democracy proponents use to justify coercing minorities and dissenters into participation.
People may start out as homesteaders on the open prairie, but after a couple of generations of "specialization" the ability to fulfill our basic needs evaporates.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
Wittingly.
Sure.

Ok, sure, but do you have the ability to grow your own food, weave your own clothes, and build your own house?

Yes, yes, and yes. Whether I do this efficiently requires skill, which can be gained through an apprenticeship or through trial and error.

Nothing which can't be learned again; like riding a bicycle.

Great, so where does "law and order" come from?
From the very mechanism I just described. It's simple game theory: each participant engages interaction with a set a preconditioned stipulations to which each party agrees. Each player participates to the extent he or she is willing. Each player is allowed to exit with no less than they came in. This forum is a great example: I agree to terms before joining this forum. There are rules and regulations imposed by the sites owner, and overseen by his/her moderators. If at any point I don't agree with terms, I can simply exit the arrangement. Since the owner of the site as per the descriptions "owns" the site, I don't have any claims, so my exiting the arrangement would amount to no longer participating on the site.

Can we rely on mob rule?
How is that different from democracy?

How do we defend against vigilantes?
Private security.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Yes, yes, and yes. Whether I do this efficiently requires skill, which can be gained through an apprenticeship or through trial and error. 
I'm impressed.

However, I'm pretty sure a good 80 to 90% of internet denizens would die on your "mad max" prairie.

Great, so where does "law and order" come from?
From the very mechanism I just described. It's simple game theory: each participant engages interaction with a set a preconditioned stipulations to which each party agrees.
With no contract law and no enforcement mechanism, con-artists and mafiosos win every single time.

Each player participates to the extent he or she is willing. Each player is allowed to exit with no less than they came in.
Based on what?  General good-will?  Are you advocating a barter system?

This forum is a great example: I agree to terms before joining this forum. There are rules and regulations imposed by the sites owner, and overseen by his/her moderators. If at any point I don't agree with terms, I can simply exit the arrangement.
It works great for entertainment.  I'm not so sure it would work as reliably for necessities.

Since the owner of the site as per the descriptions "owns" the site, I don't have any claims, so my exiting the arrangement would amount to no longer participating on the site. 
What do you think about the conservative babies who cry about youtube and google "censorship"?

Can we rely on mob rule?
How is that different from democracy?
Corpus Juris Civilis is an evolution of mob rule.  The difference is like the difference between a wild bull and an ox.

How do we defend against vigilantes?
Private security.
When you say "private security" do you really mean "mafiosos"?  I'm not sure I can tell the difference.

I guess I'll have to trust you to teach me.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
I'm impressed.

However, I'm pretty sure a good 80 to 90% of internet denizens would die on your "mad max" prairie.
Your certainty is based on what?

With no contract law and no enforcement mechanism, con-artists and mafiosos win every single time.
And how did you come to this conclusion? That is, there's no contract and/or law enforcement?

Based on what?  General good-will?
Yes.

Are you advocating a barter system?
We already barter. Would I advocate a prevailing "trade my goat for your chickens" exchange system? No.

Corpus Juris Civilis is an evolution of mob rule.  The difference is like the difference between a wild bull and an ox.

What does that have to do with my criticism of democracy? Are you suggesting that Corpus Juris Civilis and democracy are one and the same?

When you say "private security" do you really mean "mafiosos"?  I'm not sure I can tell the difference.
No, I mean private security. Are you unaware of the functions of private security? Here.

I guess I'll have to trust you to teach me.
Better me than a politician. I actually uphold and live by a moral code.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Outplayz
I don't know what you mean by dypramid... 
Here you go, [LINK] also known as a [LINK]

An octohedron is one example of a dipyramid/bipyramid. [LINK]
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@3RU7AL
Oh... okay. I see what he's saying... very few at the bottom and few at the top. I sorta meant the same thing. I just recently went to Vancouver, Canada. The poor there were really interesting. It almost seemed like it was a choice for what seemed like a lot of them. It was interesting seeing that they were very little like the homeless i see in Cali.