Author: Paul

Total: 195
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Paul
All well and good.

But better if you were to clarify this extra "spatial dimension" thing.

Nonetheless. I think that the universe is oscillatory and contained within the limits of it's own potential to expand and contract between three non-infinite points. 

An oscillating sequence which therefore also has the potential to reinitiate from 0.

So "Big Bangs" could have occurred an almost infinite number of times.

The sequence of events that we regard as material evolution may or may not be crucial to the process. I digress.
Paul
Debates: 0
Paul
-->
@zedvictor4
Watch the video right above your post. It’s only seven minutes.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Paul
Ok. I Will look later.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Paul
We can have confidence in certain propositions due to their being independently testable and verifiable. The shape of the universe does not fall under this category.
Paul
Paul
-->
@secularmerlin
It's not that we don't understand higher dimensions, we do:

The problem is that you can't picture more than three dimensions, the gravity well example illustrates that.

What Einstein did was use time as a dimension, space time has three spatial dimensions and one of time which is four dimensions.

Paul
Paul
-->
@secularmerlin
We know that no matter where you go in the universe you will see everything moving away from you.

If you went to another galaxy you would see everything moving away from you just like you see on earth.

So the center of the universe is where ever you happen to be in it.

For this to be the case the entire universe must be higher dimensional.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Paul
I do not see that this reveals the shape (3 or 4 dimensional) of said universe. 
Paul
Paul
-->
@secularmerlin
I don’t know what the shape of the universe is, that’s why I’m asking.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Paul
No one knows. It is beyond pur epistemology. 
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Paul
So the center of the universe is where ever you happen to be in it.  For this to be the case the entire universe must be higher dimensional.
False, unless we consider ultra-micro to be a "higher dimension", and Ive already made clear that is exactly the only way cosmologists can relate to "higher dimensional" scenarios.

Fuller lays out this scenario fairly clearly in on long paragraph.  Remember when it comes to long, Fuller wrote a whole book of some 300 plus pages and it was only one sentence. 
Paul
Paul
-->
@ebuc
When I said center of the universe in the post you quoted what Ishould have said is the center of the VISIBLE universe which is notthe center of the universe in it’s entirety. The universe in it’sentirety has no center.

Paul
Paul
-->
@secularmerlin
So what you are saying is you have no opinion because you don’t understand the question?

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Paul
I understand the question.  It is just unanswerable. You are asking for a guess. I can guess but I have no more reason to think my guess is right than any other possibility.
Paul
Paul
-->
@secularmerlin
So you have no opinion.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Paul
Our opinions of the shape of the universe have nothing to do with the actual shape of the universe. My opinion is that our opinions are inconsequential to the question.

Is there something wrong with answer I don't know if it is the most honest answer?

Paul
Paul
-->
@secularmerlin
There is nothing wrong with saying you don’t know, but there are plenty of scientists that have well informed opinions to offer the difference is you don’t.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Paul
So ask them.
Paul
Paul
-->
@secularmerlin
Well, there are choices. You can propose a closed universe, a flat universe or a saddle universe all with four spacial dimensions with or without any number of holes.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Paul
Or i can admit the truth. That the greatest minds working on the subject have only educated guesses and that I am not one of those minds and am not really even able to make an educated guess. Perhaps one of these great minds will have an answer some day.
Paul
Paul
-->
@secularmerlin
You are very close to being able to make an educated guess, don’t give up now.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Paul
My intention is not to give up. It is to be intellectually honest. I am not a cosmologist. My best guesses will perforce be based on theirs. In truth I remain unconvinced that anyone will ever be able to answer this question with more than a hypothesis because I am uncertain how test such a hypothesis. Take pir galaxy as an example. We have reasonable confidence that it is a spiral galaxy but we can't exactly take pictures so we don't actually know what it looks like.

Paul
Paul
-->
@secularmerlin
You just don’t know where to go next, you're not as stumped as you think you are.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Paul
If you have more to offer than you already have please present your evidence. 
Paul
Paul
-->
@secularmerlin
You might start by looking at the choices and asking yourself which of the three universes (closed, flat or saddle) is most likely. There is plenty of information available about that.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Paul
The best minds working on the issue cannot answer the question satisfactorily. I'm unsure what you expect from me. The best evidence you have presented so far was very clear that the results were inconclusive for all proposed models. 
Paul
Paul
-->
@secularmerlin
Okay, you’ve convinced me that you don’t know.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Paul
When I said center of the universe in the post you quoted what Ishould have said is the center of the VISIBLE universe which is notthe center of the universe in it’s entirety. The universe in it’sentirety has no center.
False as any finite occupied space has a center relative to its static or dynamically changing surface boundary.

Finite occupied space = having a volumetric value even if that volume increases or decreases ex a balloon filled with air or not and center based on average value of as many diametric values that can be ascertained/assessed.

Again, Fuller has a whole one or two paragrpahs that explain how we can have a Universe that appears to be expanding from any place in Universe.  You do not really give a clear easy to visualize explanation as Fuller does and it involves consideration of ultra-micro ergo as I stated previously will be associated with what most cosmologist and physicists have stated in the past, hyper-dimension ---ergo ultr-micro--  curled within our observed 3D.

I recall a brief something or another where somebody thought they were seeing evidence of hyper-dimension closer to an observable scale.  Been 12 to 20 years back I heard that info, to best of my recall.

Hyper-dimensions, at best just equal ultra-micro scales of existence withing 3D.

A cube or tetrahedron etc, inside another one, inside another one so on and so on is simple concepts of hyper-dimension that is explained simply vai M. Kakus book Hyper-space and I have repeated expressed here.

XYZ becomes abc of a cube and d is the volumetric ---not surface--- diagonal that terminates at corner of another cube. Old news. That book probably came out in late 90's or early 2000's.  I could find Fullers pargraphs  explaining the scenario we observed ---before we new of dark energy-- seeningly expanding perception from any viewpoint in Universe.

It will only fall on deaf ears since for most part, their exists and mental based ego blockage to most of what I present around here. Go figure, oh yeah, pretty much others dont figure with rational, logical common sense.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Paul
And you have convinced me you don't know. Now what?
Paul
Paul
-->
@secularmerlin
Your answer is nobody knows so I’m satisfied.

Paul
Paul
-->
@ebuc
You want to argue against established cosmology?