DEISM is functionally identical to ATHEISM

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 270
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
You know that truth  is reality [QUANTA], falsehood is unreality [QUALIA].
Got it.

And surely you can tell, because as a  human being you have inherited the knowledge of good and evil. Besides, you demonstrate that you know the difference.
I was born with social instincts.  Just like rats.  Just like dogs.  My social instincts may or may not be exactly the same as yours.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL

Very little to do with social instincts.
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
because as a  human being you have inherited the knowledge of good and evil.

Is everyone inherting the same knowledge of good and evil? If not, why not? If so, why do we see such a wide array of different behaviors, shouldn't all behavior be the same? For example, some people think it's evil to eat pork on certain days. It's a sin. Some don't. If god gave them the exact same knowledge, which one is wrong and going to hell?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
That is actually part of the reason it is considered the fall of man, that is, eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

We have it in us, but what we really lack is perspective. The rightful judge of good and evil is God. Self righteousness is delusion. if we have  any righteousness at all it is from abiding in God. God is the righteousness in us. The Truth is righteousness because The Truth is right. Correct. Get it?

As an aside, pigs are nasty dude, have you ever heard of pig toilets? I mean even if I wasn't a vegetarian I wouldn't eat pigs. It isn't really healthy food anyway, but to each his own I guess.

Castin
Castin
I think the idea of a God who doesn't hold your hand is just never gonna appeal to most theists. He has to be personal. He has to be watching over them.

Religion is a psychological survival tool, and when you have an indifferent and impersonal God, that tool is no longer serving its purpose. It's no longer helping humans psychologically survive. So they'll cling to their survival tool and use deist arguments to protect it, regardless of the disconnect between the two.

When it comes to the deist God, I have often heard theists say "Then what is the point of a God like that?" Which is interesting -- why does whether or not something objectively exists depend upon whether it is useful or desirable to humans?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Castin
It is no strange thing to see our walk as a relationship to God when our God is The Truth and our way is to abide in The Truth. The struggle one has in this walk is very personal.

Castin
Castin
-->
@Mopac
The human experience is a very personal thing in general.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Castin
Your experience is your relationship with God.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Mopac
My experience has been quite devoid of God.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Castin
So it seems to you.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
Defecation and urination are fairly standard mammalian functions. So I don't quite understand why you have singled out Pigs for criticism.

Well I do understand actually.

It's simply a personally acquired and stored set of data. Exactly the same as your own particular existence hypothesis.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
Pigs share a lot of diseases with people, they eat shit, and besides, not healthy in a lot of other ways. If you want to eat them, that is your business, but you'd probably be better off without.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Mopac
I could also simply say "so it seems to you" to dismiss your theistic experience. It can be applied to pretty much anything.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Castin
Doesn't mean you understand what I am talking about though. 

11 days later

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Doesn't mean you understand what I am talking about though. 
We can't know what you're talking about because your claim is regarding,

PRIVATE-INFORMATION, AKA, GNOSIS, AKA, UNFALSIFIABLE, AKA, QUALITATIVE, AKA, EXPERIENTIAL, AKA, UNVERIFIABLE OPINION.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
"The perfect mind is the one that through genuine faith knows in supreme ignorance the supremely unknowable,  and gazing on the universe of his handiwork has received from God comprehensive knowledge of His providence and judgement in it, as far as allowable to men." ~Saint Maximus the confessor.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
We can't know what you're talking about because your claim is regarding,

PRIVATE-INFORMATION, AKA, GNOSIS, AKA, UNFALSIFIABLE, AKA, QUALITATIVE, AKA, EXPERIENTIAL, AKA, UNVERIFIABLE OPINION.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Arguments are built, not asserted all at once. To make a credible theistic argument, one must first make a logical deistic argument.

There are very good arguments for both deism and theism, proof of this is how atheism has had to change and adapt in order to address and or answer those arguments.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
There are very good arguments for both deism and theism...
hOLd on.

Let's not go ASSERTING all over yourself.

Please present even one "very good" argument for theism.

Just one, oh-man-oh-man, I've been looking for one for such a long time!
ethang5
ethang5
--> @3RU7AL

I haven't a clue what you consider an argument for theism. I don't even know what "theism" is to you.

This seems to me like an off topic tangent. So while I think "Life" is an ironclad argument for theism, I will not debate it here.

Make a seperate thread if the topic interests you that much. I would find it interesting enough to post there.

The point here is that the OP says that deism is functionally identical to atheism, and my considered opinion is that this may seem so because arguments for theism must first establish deism.

The OP also misunderstands his own word - "functionally". He apparently thinks this functionality should "inform" our daily lives, our system of government, our laws, and/or our sense of morality.

He is clearly incorrect, as deism has implications that atheism clearly does not have. And as expected, diests have worldviews very different than that of atheists.

But I wanted to handle the reason why he thought deism was the same as atheism first, before complicating the argument with the "functionality" side show.
Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@ethang5
I haven't a clue what you consider an argument for theism. I don't know what "theism" is to you.

This seems to me like an off topic tangent. So while I think "Life" is an ironclad argument for theism, I will not debate it here.

Make a seperate thread if the topic interests you that much. I would find it interesting enough to post there.

The point here is that the OP says that deism is functionally identical to atheism, and my considered opinion is that this may seem so because arguments for theism must first establish deism.

The OP also misunderstands his own word - "functionally". He apparently thinks this functionality should "inform" our daily lives, our system of government, our laws, and/or our sense of morality.

He is clearly incorrect, as deism has implications that atheism clearly does not have. And as expected, diests have worldviews very different than that of atheists.

But I wanted to handle the reason why he thought deism was the same as atheism first, before complicating the argument with the "functionality" side show.

Maybe a definition of them will help you since as a Christian you are not considered any of the recognized groups.
Brewer's: Theist, Deist, Atheist, Agnostic
A theist believes there is a God who made and governs all creation; but does not believe in the doctrine of the Trinity, nor in a divine revelation.

A deist believes there is a God who created all things, but does not believe in His superintendence and government. He thinks the Creator implanted in all things certain immutable laws, called the Laws of Nature, which act per se, as a watch acts without the supervision of its maker. Like the theist, he does not believe in the doctrine of the Trinity, nor in a divine revelation.

The atheist disbelieves even the existence of a God. He thinks matter is eternal, and what we call “creation” is the result of natural laws.

The agnostic believes only what is knowable. He rejects revelation and the doctrine of the Trinity as “past human understanding.” He is neither theist, deist, nor atheist, as all these are past understanding.

A Christian is someòne who believes an illegitimate Jewish bastard name Jesus died for their sins 2000 years ago.That only dead Jews can forgive sins. Hitler to update this concept exterminated  6 million Jews to keep up with the growing population of Christian sinners.
Today we have 2 billion Christian sinners and only 14 million Jews. Most Christian accountants believe we need more Jews and not Christian sinners.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
I am making no claim regarding opinion, only what I know to be true. Namely that...

That nothing exists apart from The Truth. That The Truth is eternal and unchanging, that before the world or worlds there was The Truth, and that The Truth is God.

The God of Truth is with us, incarnate in the world.

That in entering the world, The Truth became death, for the nature of all temporal reality is that the present state requires the death of the prior state to exist. The nature of created things is that they are contingent realities that exist in relation to each other.

That it is the sacrifice of The Truth that allows all things to exist, for it is unreality that defines creation. Any reality other than God, The Ultimate Reality cannot be reality in its entirety. It would not ultimately be real, but instead a created thing.

Though The Incarnate Truth died in order to give life to the world before its foundation, the incarnate truth is still alive with us today, having risen up from the deepest death, filling all things and reconciling all of existence back to divinity.

What am I really saying? 

We know the God we worship, and we know we have found the true faith. We worship The Undivided Trinity, for this is our salvation. It is not opinion, but a mystery hidden since the foundation of the world, and revealed to those to whom God has illuminated.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
I haven't a clue what you consider an argument for theism. I don't even know what "theism" is to you.
It doesn't matter what I think is a "very good" argument for theism.

You said you have one, so, just present it.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
...deism has implications that atheism clearly does not have.
Like what exactly?

And as expected, diests have worldviews very different than that of atheists.
Can you please explain the differences?
ethang5
ethang5
It doesn't matter what I think is a "very good" argument for theism
Then why should I have to present an argument?

You said you have one, so, just present it.

Let me remind you what I said earlier.

Can you please explain the differences?
You seem to want threads diverted to your preferred topic whenever you come across a topic you like. I think that is disrespectful to the OP.

If you don't care to do so, there you are.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
This seems to me like an off topic tangent.
I started this thread, so I get to decide what's "off-topic" or not.

So while I think "Life" is an ironclad argument for theism,
Your awesome argument is one word?  Which SPECIFIC god(s) do you think "Life" proves?

You seem to want threads diverted to your preferred topic whenever you come across a topic you like. I think that is disrespectful to the OP.
I'm quite certain that I am the "OP".

ethang5
ethang5
This seems to me like an off topic tangent.

I started this thread, so I get to decide what's "off-topic" or not.
I disagree. The title does that. And I retain my right to decide for myself.

So while I think "Life" is an ironclad argument for theism,
Your awesome argument is one word? Which SPECIFIC god(s) do you think "Life" proves?

I said, "This seems to me like an off topic tangent. I will not debate it here.

You will learn that I mean what I say. Like it or hate it, but it will stand.

I'm quite certain that I am the "OP".
All the more reason you should not be disrespectful.

A member clicking on your thread expects to see a discussion on whether Deism is functionally identical to Atheism, and because he/she found that topic interesting, clicked on it.

Is there a reason you are reluctant to make a new thread for a new topic?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
You obviously have no argument for theism.

You made a claim, on this thread, which you refuse to support.

And now, you're making up imaginary "rules" to obscure the FACT that you have no such argument.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
And if you're so obsessed with adhering to the OP, why didn't you comment on it?
ethang5
ethang5
You obviously have no argument for theism.
OK. It's probably obvious to you that I have no argument for atheism either. And if I had an argument for either, neither would be appropriate here.

You made a claim, on this thread, which you refuse to support.
I have not refused to support my claim, I have decided to support it in a thread on that topic. Are you saying I don't have that right?

And now, you're making up imaginary "rules" to obscure the FACT that you have no such argument.
OK. That my rules aren't written down in the boards CoC should not be a surprise to you. But your opinion of my behavior is immaterial.

if you're so obsessed...
My refusal to obey you is not an obsession. I'm just principled and not dumb.

....with adhering to the OP, why didn't you comment on it?
I did in my first post. You, being unable to debate any religious topic but the atheist standard, "God does not exist", seized on a tangent in my post and wanted the thread to become an anti-theist drone.

Re-read my first post with your anti-theist glasses off, and comment to that, or start a new thread on another subject you like, or ignore me, those are your options.

Me doing what you like is not one of them.