There is no evidence of a particular god’s existence

Author: PressF4Respect

Total: 215
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@PressF4Respect
If you were able to prove your particular god existed without resorting to general ontological arguments, would you? That is what I’m trying to get at.
Yes.

I’m currently laying the groundwork with sound logic we can both (hopefully) agree upon to prevent my argument from being reduced into oblivion via semantics.
Good.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
Does that change in word usage to "logically coherent" somehow make my argument strictly deistic rather than theistic?
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Does that change in word usage to "logically coherent" somehow make my argument strictly deistic rather than theistic?
Please summarize your argument.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Unbeknownst to 3RU7AL, 3RU7AL is making a roundabout argument once rejected, and that's perception = reality. Logic is a concept. It's used to rationalize our perception. In other words, it's a tool of perception. If existence is subject to logical coherency, then what in effect is being stated?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Your argument is repeatedly semantic. 
All arguments (that use common language) are by definition, semantic.

Hence, you've demonstrated a tendency to add qualifications like "indistinguishable" and "functionally" in your arguments (hence, shifts the argument over to definitions of functional and distinguishable.) 
If you'd like to argue that undiscovered (OR) lost (OR) secret evidence IS DISTINGUISHABLE from NO EVIDENCE, please simply present that argument and stop appealing to ignorance.

PressF4Respect's argument is that because Theists don't use evidence--qualification notwithstanding, the evidence therefore must not exist. Can you find no flaw in this reasoning?
Based on my understanding of "exist" (Quantifiable/verifiable/and or logically necessary/REAL-TRUE-FACT) it seems perfectly reasonable.

But I believe your definition of "exist" is substantially more vague.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
I stand corrected. I should have stated lexically semantic.

If you'd like to argue that undiscovered (OR) lost (OR) secret evidence IS DISTINGUISHABLE from NO EVIDENCE, please simply present that argument and stop appealing to ignorance.
This is an appeal to ignorance. I have no burden to provide an argument for an assertion you made. I have no intention of arguing over lexicon, and that's my point. PressF4Respect presented his assertion, and has as of yet to provide its proof, so if there's issue over the meaning of his statements, then he can accommodate your concerns.

Now if I were to press you over that which constitutes logical coherency, I presume it will be reduced to an argument over lexical semantics. As I stated before, I intend only to delve the conceptual nature of being.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
@Athias
@PressF4Respect
Well I'm just concerned about the original premise of the thread. All one would have to do is make an evidence-based argument for a particular god to render this premise void. In the debate I previously cited, I was arguing for the Christian God over all others from the authenticity and accuracy of the Bible as an historical document (evidence). Regardless of whether one agrees with me, I have made an argument using evidence.

At this point, it would seem that the original premise would be nullified, or you would have to show why my argument lacks evidence and is not theistic. However, to simply say that you don't find the evidence compelling or logically coherent should not be grounds to say it is no evidence at all. It's just evidence you don't agree with.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Well I'm just concerned about the original premise of the thread. All one would have to do is make an evidence-based argument for a particular god to render this premise void. In the debate I previously cited, I was arguing for the Christian God over all others from the authenticity and accuracy of the Bible as an historical document (evidence). Regardless of whether one agrees with me, I have made an argument using evidence.

At this point, it would seem that the original premise would be nullified, or you would have to show why my argument lacks evidence and is not theistic. However, to simply say that you don't find the evidence compelling or logically coherent should not be grounds to say it is no evidence at all. It's just evidence you don't agree with.
"Compelling" would seem to be an unrealistic target, but "logically coherent" should be agreeable.

What standard would you personally prefer if you could choose from any standard you know of?
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
I'm not really trying to set a standard. I'm just saying that I don't believe the premise has any validity if someone can show they are making an evidence-based argument from a theistic perspective. If you can give me a good reason why I might be wrong I would be happy to hear it.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
I stand corrected. I should have stated lexically semantic.
I don't understand how you can imagine that you can formulate a logical statement without rigorous and explicit definitions.

This is an appeal to ignorance. 
This is a TAUTOLOGICAL STATEMENT.

Undiscovered (OR) lost (OR) secret evidence is INDISTINGUISHABLE from NO EVIDENCE.

This statement is necessarily true based on extremely common and widely accepted definitions.

I have no burden to provide an argument for an assertion you made.
Please challenge my axioms and or point out a specific logical error and or provide a counter-factual.

I say, the available evidence is indistinguishable from no-evidence (tautological statement of fact).

You say, nuh-uh (which implies that you believe the opposite is true, which you refuse to state, which constitutes an appeal to ignorance).

I have no intention of arguing over lexicon, and that's my point.
If we don't share some basic, foundational concepts (common-ground-word-definitions), then we can never properly communicate.

PressF4Respect presented his assertion, and has as of yet to provide its proof, so if there's issue over the meaning of his statements, then he can accommodate your concerns.
I love it.  You're one of those "written in stone" people.

Now if I were to press you over that which constitutes logical coherency, I presume it will be reduced to an argument over lexical semantics. As I stated before, I intend only to delve the conceptual nature of being.
You seem to be pretty good a peeling things apart, but I haven't seen you actually put anything together.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
I'm not really trying to set a standard. I'm just saying that I don't believe the premise has any validity if someone can show they are making an evidence-based argument from a theistic perspective. If you can give me a good reason why I might be wrong I would be happy to hear it.
Let me give you an example.

Some holy books, like the Bhagavad Gita and the Book of Mormon contain historically verifiable people and places and events.

Do you believe the Bhagavad Gita and the Book of Mormon are true because they contain historically verifiable people and places and events?

Some comic books, like the Amazing Adventures of Spider-man contain historically verifiable people and places and events.

Do you believe the Amazing Adventures of Spider-man are true because they contain historically verifiable people and places and events?

Athias
Athias
-->
@Fruit_Inspector

Exactly. And this is a concern PressF4Respect may have to address pending his full proof. I too have argued for the existence of God(s.) And my argument was impeccable. It wasn't that my rationalization was "logically incoherent," which has become an umbrella term for premises with which 3RU7AL, and others perhaps, disagrees. When reduced to its fundamental elements, the arguments then become disputes over the meaning of particular words, and not logical structure or form--or even thesis--of the argument. The logical incoherence is in asserting that abstracts don't exist while simultaneously subjecting existence to an abstract.

But there's another concern with PressF4Respect's argument, and it has to do with Theism itself. Theism is spiritual. And one of his challenges is going to address the verifiable and/or falsifiable in the context of spiritual beliefs. I'm sure it'll be an interesting read.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
I don't understand how you can imagine that you can formulate a logical statement without rigorous and explicit definitions.
I do not contest a stipulated definition per se, but if we were to have a debate using a "rigorous and explicit" definition, then it would be entirely dictated by that definition. Case in point:

If something were to exist, it would have real being whether material or spiritual. (Merriam Webster Dictionary.)
God has real spiritual being. (Holy Texts.)
Therefore, God exists.

That is logically coherent. Debate over, right?

I use broad definitions in order to facilitate a conceptual context rather than one informed arbitrarily/conveniently by selected definitions. Furthermore, using broad definitions allows each party to challenge the other's premise using argument rather than dictionaries.

This is a TAUTOLOGICAL STATEMENT.
No it's not, it's an accurate assessment.

Undiscovered (OR) lost (OR) secret evidence is INDISTINGUISHABLE from NO EVIDENCE.
And who here but you has argued or postulated undiscovered, lost, or secret evidence? Are you not just projecting in this non sequitur? Your assertions are contradicting a counterargument no one made.

This statement is necessarily true based on extremely common and widely accepted definitions.
"Widely accepted" in and of itself does not inform veracity; therefore, it cannot be the basis of that which is necessarily true.

Please challenge my axioms and or point out a specific logical error and or provide a counter-factual.
Why? I have no obligation.

I say, the available evidence is indistinguishable from no-evidence (tautological statement of fact).

You say, nuh-uh (which implies that you believe the opposite is true, which you refuse to state, which constitutes an appeal to ignorance).
My beliefs don't matter in this context. My entry into this discussion was to see PressF4Respect meet his obligation to his own argument. (He did in turn ask that I elaborate on my fairy statement.) When you submitted your comment, I knew you were attempting to manipulate me into assuming the Con position. Hence, "No. Good attempt, though." I'll make my rationalizations; you'll make your rationalizations; we'll dispute over particular words and our obviously subjective qualifications of them. The only arguments I've provided were in effect towards PressF4Respect's logical form. Even in my response to you, and you can confirm this, I don't address your statement at all, instead bringing it back to PressF4Respect. This is PressF4Respect's argument, and depending on his proof, I will assume proponency, neutrality/indifference, or contention.

If we don't share some basic, foundational concepts (common-ground-word-definitions), then we can never properly communicate.
I know that which you attempt to communicate, but all you'd need to do is to hark back to your selected "widely accepted" definition where your premise won't be challenged.

I love it.  You're one of those "written in stone" people.
...sure.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
You have gone on to a completely different subject. The original premise is saying that no one is even arguing for those beliefs, not whether they are true. An argument does not cease to be an argument simply because I disagree with it. The same can be said for evidence because evidence is not proof.

To answer your question, no I don't believe any of those are true. Do you believe that an argument is only valid if it agrees with your beliefs? Or is evidence only valid if it matches your conclusions?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
So, semantics becomes an argument within itself.

And there is still, no real evidence of a particular gods existence.

Only assumption.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
We are deists in the most ancient sense. That is, we believe God exists.

Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4

Only assumption.

Substantiate your assertion.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
The logical incoherence is in asserting that abstracts don't exist [in the exact same way as imaginary things] while simultaneously subjecting existence to an abstract [rigorous definition].
Fix'd.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
@zedvictor4
This is the original post:
Theists love to debate using DEISTIC arguments.

The "intelligent-design" case is the most prominent example of this.

The "logically necessary" prime-mover/sustainer is another.

**But theists are unable to draw a straight line from DEISM to their specific god(s).**

Atheists often fight tooth-and-claw against these DEISTIC tactics, but I would suggest they should stop fighting and embrace DEISM.

Because DEISTIC gods are functionally indistinguishable from no-god(s).

DEISM is functionally identical to ATHEISM.

Let's say, for example, that we found indisputable scientific evidence that life on planet Earth was created by Promethean gods.  Intelligently designed.

Clip of creation scene from "Prometheus" (2012), [LINK]

This "fact" does absolutely nothing to inform our daily lives.

This "fact" does absolutely nothing to inform our system of government, our laws, or our sense of morality.

Basically, we're back to square-one.

This was an assertion presented later on the continuation of that thread:
P1: There are people who wish to prove the existence of their specific god (this is evident).
P2: If there was compelling evidence for their specific god, then they would use it (inferred logic).
P3: There is currently no one using said evidence (this is the premise I will prove).
C1: Therefore, there is no evidence for a specific god.
Therefore, all you would have to do is present an argument from a theistic perspective to nullify the first post, and then present evidence for your argument to nullify the second post. I am not saying that you have to believe what I am arguing for. I am just saying it wouldn't make sense to say that I'm not arguing for it. I showed in post #31 that I gave an evidence-based argument from a theistic perspective in a debate.

I am still waiting to hear a good reason why this does not nullify the two claims of these posts...
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
The particular God I believe is The Ultimate Reality.

Is this your deist God?

So why pretend it is different and I need to prove something else?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
You have gone on to a completely different subject.
I thought you said you were making an argument-from-evidence, based on the historical accuracy of "the bible".

The original premise is saying that no one is even arguing for those beliefs, not whether they are true.
Debate Resolution, "There is no evidence of a particular god’s existence".

Step one, define "evidence".

Step two, define "existence".

Step three, define your favorite "god".

An argument does not cease to be an argument simply because I disagree with it. The same can be said for evidence because evidence is not proof.
I hope we can all agree on what a "sound argument" is.  Otherwise we really need to get that out-of-the-way first.

To answer your question, no I don't believe any of those are true.
Great.  Why not?

Do you believe that an argument is only valid if it agrees with your beliefs?
I cannot disagree with the validity of a logically coherent "sound argument".  FOR EXAMPLE, Spinoza's god certainly exists.

Or is evidence only valid if it matches your conclusions?
I avoid "motivated reasoning" and "confirmation/sample bias" and "putting the cart before the horse".

For example, the statement, "all toupees are fake-looking and ugly" is a classic example of "confirmation/sample bias".
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
The particular God I believe is The Ultimate Reality.

Is this your deist God?

So why pretend it is different and I need to prove something else?
You don't need to "prove" that reality exists (tautological fact).

What I'm asking you to do is to draw a bright line between that god (reality) and a particular THEOLOGY.

Because without some explicit holy endorsement, any THEOLOGY is indistinguishable from HUMAN OPINION.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
**But theists are unable to draw a straight line from DEISM to their specific god(s).**

P3: There is currently no one using said evidence (this is the premise I will prove).

Therefore, all you would have to do is present an argument from a theistic perspective to nullify the first post,
More specifically, you'd have to draw a straight line from DEISM to your specific god(s).

...and then present evidence for your argument to nullify the second post.
More specifically, compelling (or logically coherent) evidence.  Qualia (experiential, testimonial, personal, private, OPINION) is automatically disqualified.  For example, [LINK]

I am not saying that you have to believe what I am arguing for.
What you believe (Qualia) is your own business.

I am just saying it wouldn't make sense to say that I'm not arguing for it.
Eh, you seem to have shifted to goal-posts.  Lots of people are making arguments, but none of them are logically-coherent-sound-arguments.

I showed in post #31 that I gave an evidence-based argument from a theistic perspective in a debate.
Here's the salient quote from [POST#31],

The overall point of this, I am using theistic arguments, with evidence, to prove the existence of a particular God.
Please summarize this argument.  Perhaps in the form of a syllogistic statement.

I am still waiting to hear a good reason why this does not nullify the two claims of these posts...
Perhaps we can find some common-ground.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias

Only assumption.
Substantiate your assertion.
You should be able to easily refute this with a simple counter-factual.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Well, our theology is communicated through living it, so I am not surprised.

Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
The logical incoherence is in asserting that abstracts don't exist [in the exact same way as imaginary things] while simultaneously subjecting existence to an abstract [rigorous definition].
Are you sure? How do abstracts differ from "imaginary things" as it concerns the manner in which they exist?

You should be able to easily refute this with a simple counter-factual.
I should... but I won't because it's not my onus. Not yet, anyway.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Are you sure? How do abstracts differ from "imaginary things" as it concerns the manner in which they exist?
Abstracts (like first order logic and mathematics) are RIGOROUSLY DEFINED and coherent and independently verifiable (Quanta).

Pure imagination is unverifiable Qualia.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
When you say that no theist is making "logically-coherent-sound-arguments," what you really seem to be saying is "those arguments for God don't make sense because there is no God." How is that not putting the cart before the horse?

Maybe this example will help clear things up:

More specifically, you'd have to draw a straight line from DEISM to your specific god(s)
I find the Moral Argument particularly convincing, so let's use that. I would argue the only way to have an objective standard of morality (e.g. stealing is inherently evil) is to have an objective lawgiver outside of humanity. There is the deistic argument.

I would also argue that the moral foundation of the Bible is objectively better than any other moral system, whether religious or secular. Even our judicial system in America is founded on biblical morality. There are also health statistics and crime statistics that could be shown in support of this statement.

SUMMARY
Deistic Argument: A god is required for objective morality to exist
Theistic Argument: If the moral principles of the Bible are objectively better than other systems, it would follow that the God who gave them is better than all others. That God claims He is the only God and all others are false.

Now I have not given a fully researched and annotated presentation. Obviously, there are also debatable points in this argument that I'm sure you disagree with. However, I have provided an argument that is logically coherent and evidence-based. I don't see any fundamental laws of logic that I have violated, and that also doesn't automatically make me right. I have also given examples of evidence that could be used outside myself (logical case for morality, statistics, American judicial system) that support my argument. Again, my evidence doesn't automatically make me right, it just supports my argument.

Given this example, can you specifically show how I have violated the laws of logic or some such error, and how my supporting evidence does not count as evidence.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
Abstracts (like first order logic and mathematics) are RIGOROUSLY DEFINED and coherent and independently verifiable (Quanta).

Pure imagination is unverifiable Qualia.

How does this create a distinction in the manner in which they exist? All you've done is ascribe adjectives. It would be like my stating, Person A is an arduous individual, incredibly learned, high esteemed, and a dedicated communitarian, while person B would fly under anyone's radar. That doesn't change that both Person A and Person B exist, much less exist differently--however you mean it.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
When you say that no theist is making "logically-coherent-sound-arguments," what you really seem to be saying is "those arguments for God don't make sense because there is no God." How is that not putting the cart before the horse?
I'm starting with a blank-slate.  Imagine I'm someone completely unfamiliar with your religion (which is probably true, it seems every Christian I speak to has their own set of definitions).

I need you to start by explaining your core characteristics of "god".