Author: zedvictor4

Total: 87
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
Yep. Where does the power actually lie?

Perhaps the one good thing about Donald is his obvious dislike of the current climate of extreme liberalism. But just like me, that's probably just an age thing.

And there's a whole lot of sand in Northern Syria. So that's that then!
As the person sitting behind looks up in astonishment.

HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@zedvictor4
Perhaps the one good thing about Donald is his obvious dislike of the current climate of extreme liberalism.
What you call extreme liberalism, the rest of the world calls the center. The american system has just slid really far right in the past few decades. That is now correcting itself. 

Castin
Castin
-->
@zedvictor4
If he is reelected, the collective power of my redoubled shame, grief, humiliation, disappointment in humanity, and hopelessness that we will ever learn, may physically kill me.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Greyparrot
You're supposed to have grey hair before you are properly qualified to worry about hypotheticals.

Young people would never get married if this was not true.
True, but Trump gives even 20-somethings gray hairs, so I still get my Worrier License. Bam.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
Hopefully, you start smoking weed before the birth rate plummets.
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
I actually held out some hope for him as well, from the outset, despite how much of a negative opinion I had of him before he even took office. 

I hoped that, in an effort to try to beat Obama at every possible metric, Trump would stuff his cabinet and administration with only the most highly qualified and non partisan officials who all had decades of experience in their fields. That these people would not only be the best people for their jobs, they would curtail Trumps many bad qualities and keep the country functioning, on the right path. 

Instead he has done almost the exact opposite. Hes put idiots like Steve Munchin, Besty DeVos, and Rick Perry in charge of administrations they have no business being in charge of, and other picks like Tillerson or Mattis or even Nikki Haley who had some respectability about them ended up being forced out because they werent yes-men who would cater to his every order. 
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
People who think Trump are dumb are playing right into his hands. Trump understands branding, he understands how the media works, and he understands public opinion. The best example of this is the John Miller tape, the ostensibly damaging news story which was ultimately revealed to have been leaked by Trump himself to dominate the news cycle. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7GKGbXVh_A). Another example is the fight he picked with the Pope during the South Carolina primary. Both of these things were seen as bad for Trump, and looking at them simply they are. But when you put these things in context there is strategy to them: Trump picked a fight with the Pope shortly after Nicki Haley's endorsement of his chief rival was announced. This endorsement was seen as very important to the critical South Carolina primary, and it was completely drowned out by the three day media firestorm surrounding the Pope-Trump tiff, and Trump ended up winning a surprise victory there. Trump also revolutionized data-based campaigning and realigned the GOP in a big way, drawing in a lot more working class support.

I think that he's going to win again. This is because people on the left and elite-aligned centrists are so obsessed with seeing themselves as the most reasonable people in the room that they refuse to acknowledge real threats, because it would force them to give up their perceived monopoly on intelligence. They did the same thing with Bush. They mocked him endlessly, they thought very well of themselves for doing it, but he got two terms and got away with war crimes. They can't reconcile the fact that they were outmaneuvered by this supposedly hokey moron with their self-conception as supremely intelligent people. Really, their self perception as characters on The West Wing. When you refuse to accurately assess your enemies abilities, you lose (this is one of the first lessons of Sun Tzu).

Look at what Trump has done with the news cycle thus far. The Democrats have been hilariously denying the rank corruption of Hunter Biden, have been supporting the wildly unpopular (especially among independents) involvement in Syria, have been supporting immigration policies which middle America balks at (the candidates in the primary who raised their hand for giving medicare to illegal aliens). The other party has become completely reactive against Trump, presenting their position as the not-Trump instead of standing on their own independent policy. If Trump walks out in front of a rally and crows that the sky is blue, you will have eight talking heads making the nuanced argument that it is green the next day. Because they need to believe that Trump is a complete idiot, they don't pay heed to the fact that this means that Trump, by tailoring his own message, can move the Democrat party line to exactly where he wants it. I guess it's just a coincidence that they're vociferously advocating for policies which will lose them the rust belt again and stir up internecine conflicts between anti-war, anti-corruption progressives and establishment Democrats.

"In general, supporters of both major political parties were fairly in line with each other, with Republicans slightly more in favor of military action than Democrats — more than half of Republicans (53 percent) favored sending ground troops in to fight extremists, for example, whereas just 42 percent of Democrats and 32 percent of independents agreed."

I wonder why Trump abruptly pulled out of Syria right as the Democrat primary kicks into top gear?
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
When you refuse to accurately assess your enemies abilities, you lose (this is one of the first lessons of Sun Tzu).

Shame your buddies didn't think of that. 

What exactly was the rest of what you wrote meant to refer to? You're basically saying that because Republicans are dumb enough to vote for dumb things and some Independents are dumb enough to vote against smart things that Trump is a genius guiding the Democrat agenda to be exactly what he wants by stating the obvious opposite of it... Except it isn't like that. If Trump said the sky was blue tomorrow, we'd simply thank the high heavens that he managed to read his teleprompter for once.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Military action in Syria is because of a long, long time thing that Reagan began with both Syria and Libya, you can thank the Republicans for this entire situation, at least for it being something US had to get involved in.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Maybe Assad's regime shouldn't have chemically attacked their own citizens if they didn't want people to fight to protect them from their tyrannical psychopathic government.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
I would be really nice if someone with at least a room temperature IQ replied to my post.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Imabench
I was never surprised. At least he doesn't use his cabinet members as fall guys when he screws up and not take the blame for his bad decisions.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
I watched this really awesome video last week. That video was titled something like, "Trump isn't saying anything."

First, it went over some obvious optical illusions where 2 people can come up with opposite conclusions depending on their bias.

Next, it showed examples of politicians giving answers that were ambiguous and could mean anything. Next, it showed how Trump was the master at giving ambiguous answers with various examples, making the point that Trump does this as the rule, not the exception.

But what he does with the results of that technique is truly amazing and most of your post covers this. He is able to twist a person's bias out of proportion by purposely allowing the listener to run away with their imagination. It's only rare strategic times that he will reign the listener in with clear statements, and it is ONLY with his base, and only when it won't calm his opposition.

Anyone with a higher IQ can see exactly what has been going on since day one. Trump is using human biology against us as any clever magician would.

This is why you should never listen to the words but rather look at the policies and the results. Stop looking at the magician's hands because you will never see the trick. Look at the results.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Oh, wait I found the video. (scrolled through hundreds in the history)

Watch this and tell me what you think.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Skip to the 20-minute mark so you can understand what I mean about Trump PURPOSEFULLY doing this. It is not random chance.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
See, this reply you just gave me is pinpoint what you say the left-wing media does to Trump. You're scared shitless of taking on my arguments so you opt to mock my intellect and self-worth instead.

I do love me some juicy hypocrisy.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Oh and do tell me the ingenuity behind spelling nations wrong on Tweets, or fucking up greetings on a regular basis by him and his wife completely saying entire phrases wrong, almost mockingly.

Also tell me what good came of him laughing at a child who believed Santa was real and much else that this absolute fucking cunt-in-chief has done for the world and the US.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@RationalMadman
You are a prime example of letting your biases run away with your imagination.

Pelosi sure as hell doesn't care enough about the Kurds. Certainly not enough to miss out on a nice photo-op of her storming out of a strategic meeting discussing the future of the region.

If Pelosi doesn't care, why should you?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Greyparrot
????????? If Trump doesn't give a shit about typing properly or speaking kindly, why should you?

If Trump is racist, misogynistic but it's all part of a masterplan to guide the Democrats to play right into his hands, why shouldn't you be that too?

Oh yeahhhhqwoeihwoihewoihoiwgheoioioih

#sarcasm
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@RationalMadman
 If Trump doesn't give a shit about typing properly or speaking kindly, why should you?

I don't. If I thought a grammar Nazi would create jobs and negotiate with China, I would have voted for your mom.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Greyparrot
>create jobs

Presidents never personally do this, their cabinet and a whole other array of things do.

Creating jobs is never in any shape or form an inherent good thing. Depends what jobs vs the wages you earn doing them and the conditoins you work in among so much else in overall politics for you.

>negotiate with China.

you mean having tariffs that hurt the US far, far more than it hurts China? Mhmm, go into detail please about the endgame or what benefit is going to happen.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@RationalMadman
Presidents never personally do this, their cabinet and a whole other array of things do.
This statement is both true and false.

The government and the president does not create wealth or jobs, nor does his cabinet. 

But when the president stops destroying jobs with regulations and taxes, the media calls it "the president creating jobs" which isn't exactly accurate unless you believe the normal status quo is for the president and the government to destroy jobs and wealth creation.

People with capital create jobs and wealth. Period.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
People with capital create jobs and wealth. Period.
Sort of. Demand creates opportunity that people with capital can fill. If there is no demand, then it doesn't matter how much capital you have. You can't create jobs if you can't sell anything. You can't sell something when no one can afford to buy it. 

So the real way to create jobs is to create a wealthier lower and middle class. If they have money to spend, then that creates demand. Someone with capital will then try to meet that demand so they can generate more capital. If you push policies that destroy the middle class, like republicans love to do, then you are destroying that demand and weakening job creation.

Trickle down economics is a lie sold by rich people who just want to get richer. But they need you to believe that if they are allowed get REALLY rich, then somehow you are better off. Even though they are paying their workers just enough to survive while they fly to their private island on one of their 12 private jets. 
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Greyparrot
This is a good video, and really explains how Trump words things strategically. The idea that people who appear stupid are stupid is something that's been ridiculed for pretty much all of human history. We have little sayings like 'he's not as dumb as he pretends to be'. It's in literary tropes; look at Hamlet: 'I essentially am not in madness, but mad in craft.' 'How strange or odd soe'er I bear myself, as I perchance hereafter shall think meet to put an antic disposition on.' Being underestimated by your opponents offers a distinct strategic advantage.

ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
Jobs are not created or destroyed in any sense, as they aren't 'real', but are rather a product of a specific economic and political structure.

Wealth (or 'value') is created through labor, and price is set through an interplay of supply and demand.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
If you believe your wealth comes from taxes, then you either work for the government or are on welfare.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
The strategy is older than Sun Tzu, and almost all females inherently know how to do this.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
If you believe your wealth comes from taxes, then you either work for the government or are on welfare.
I have never said wealth comes from taxes. But that is one hell of a smackdown you put on that straw man. Bravo. 

343 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@zedvictor4
I actually had 'incredibly low expectation of Trump when he was elected.
Now that he's served for a bit, they're merely low expectations.
But I'd still rather vote for him than the Democrats (Currently).
Even though I liked Hilary more last election, and would have rather she won.
Politics feels like it's become extremely polarized, perhaps the process was already starting before Trump, but it sure sped up during his presidency feels like.
Some people mock the idea of voting for Trump because one dislikes the Democrats, but then a justice dies and everyone is speaking about the vital importance of what way the replacement leans politically.
Anyway, I've 'never been able to judge Trumps intelligence really.
Personally I think he has a 'type of intelligence, but it's not the type I like myself.
I liked Obamas intelligence and well spoken manner, I liked Bill Clinton, and Bush Senior what little I've seen of him. Not that I agree with all their policies or actions. But their manners and types of intelligence appealed.
Still, I'm probably going to vote third party, upcoming election.

Honestly even now, my 'hope for Trump isn't a hope for him to do great things, but just not to cause any problems and long term problems.