Why Young Christians are Leaving the Church

Author: Stronn

Total: 563
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Such a school would be difficult to describe as "non-religious" but instead of being "pro-religious" I'd say it's probably more accurately described as "pro-christian", since christians are not generally "pro-religious" in any broad or general sense.
I'm speaking to function. I'm not denying that there are Christians at schools, and that they may or may not discuss their beliefs. However, the extent to which this occurs is not explicit; I can say with certainty that information about Evolution being taught to students is explicit because it's part of the school curricula. Even if 99% of the attendees are Christian, it's just as possible that only two people talk about religion as it would be with the entire school. It's conjectural. Evolution being taught at school is a fact. 
Here's the problem.

Are you suggesting that teaching the scientific theory of evolution is somehow anti-religious or anti-christian?

If this is NOT your suggestion, then why are you comparing "time in church" to "time in public school"?

It would appear that the one would have no effect on the other (they are not obviously in conflict).
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
-->
@Stronn
It's hard to take you [athias]seriously when you make statements like this that casually dismiss all of science.
I don't take such people seriously!   Following on from my earlier post, what has happened since Darwin's time is the discovery that genes and mutation are at the heart of the mechanism of variation and inheritance.  That is variation and inheritance explain adaptation and genetics explains variation and inheritance.

Looked at that way neo-Darwininian evolution is not a theory - it's a logical necessity.   

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
I do not provide definitions for entertainment. Also, are you presuming that scientific theory and ideology are mutually exclusive?
Scientific theories and ideologies can be mixed and matched.

Understanding a particular scientific theory does not necessarily inform your ideology or vice versa.

For example, an atheist might deny the validity of evolutionary theory and a theist might embrace it.

The theory itself is not an ideology and therefore cannot be in conflict with an ideology (unless that ideology explicitly excludes it).
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Stronn
@3RU7AL
How exactly does "subjective idealism" conflict with "natural selection"?
Where did I state that it did?

Darwin proposed that, with the natural variations that occur in populations, any trait that is beneficial would make that individual more likely to survive and pass on the trait to the next generation. This process of natural selection could result in completely new species. Darwin did not have an explanation for how the traits could be preserved over the succeeding generations. At the time, the prevailing theory of inheritance was that the traits of the parents were blended in the offspring. But this would mean that any beneficial trait would be diluted out of the population within a few generations. This is because most of the blending over the next generations would be with individuals that did not have the trait.
I'm well aware of Darwinian evolutionary theory. With that in mind, how are traits beneficial? Beneficial toward what? And how would your explanation escape teleology? Or is benefit merely a "consequence"?

No idea. But so far your only example of a non-religious ideology has been evolution, which is not an ideology. 
Then what's the point of your argument?

It is not irrelevant at all. You seem to have a conception of public schools as places where kids sit like drones all day being force-fed information. It's not that way at all. In fact, I would argue that kids take in more information from their peers than they do from teachers.
None of which you state is verifiable; therefore, you cannot qualify the effects, and their extents, of which you speak. That is completely irrelevant.

This is so overly simplistic as to be useless. For one thing, it assumes religious families only get a dose of religious information once a week when they go to church. For another, it assume kids get no exposure whatsoever to religion on days they go to school. Both are ridiculous assumptions and render the entire exercise moot.
The assumptions are not ridiculous. I do not presume to know all Christians. However, surveys on the matter would indicate that church-going Christians go once-a-week predominantly. Feel free to verify any of my claims.

Species change over time. Traits are inherited. Species have common ancestors.
Once again, what facts about evolution do aforementioned inform?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stronn
@3RU7AL
@Athias
Genesis 9:12 And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.
I was taught that rainbows were due to refraction by raindrops.  I wonder if that piece of anti-religious science should be taught in schools!

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Bacteria have no goals.
Prove it.
Here you go. [LINK]
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
Please let me know what makes you think the "gambler's fallacy" applies to or somehow countermands valid scientific theories.

I already did.

You stated this:

If a theory provides testable predictive power and efficacy, then it is considered a valid theory.
And I responded by characterizing it as a gambler's fallacy. The gambler's fallacy can also be described as the logical fallacy in which random process become less random, and more predictable, the more often they're repeated. (That's how I incorporated the gambler's fallacy in my statement.)
Athias
Athias
-->
@keithprosser
@Stronn
@3RU7AL
If we're quibbling definitions, 'evolution' means 'change over time'.   Unless you believe that there has been no change in the form of any living thing since the beginning of the world you 'believe in evolution'.   My guess is athias believes in evolution!

Darwinian evolution is the consequence of the self-evident facts that variation between indiviuals a) affects their relative fitness and b) is at least  partly heritable.   Given those facts, adaptive evolution must occur - it's simple logic.  It was that incredibly obvious (in hindsight) principle Darwin and Wallace gave us. 

I think you have to be very brave to deny the validity of a and b - I wonder if  Athias is brave enough...
Nice bit of sophistry. Evolution doesn't simply state "change over time." It's an ideology attempting to explain the method and nature of this presumable change--particularly biologically.

@Stronn:

It's hard to take you seriously when you make statements like this that casually dismiss all of science.
I've dismissed nothing. And whether you "take [me] seriously" is of no consequence to me.

Are you suggesting that many or most religious people believe their idea of god is merely provisional?
No.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
You stated this: 

If a theory provides testable predictive power and efficacy, then it is considered a valid theory.
And I responded by characterizing it as a gambler's fallacy. The gambler's fallacy can also be described as the logical fallacy in which random process become less random, and more predictable, the more often they're repeated. (That's how I incorporated the gambler's fallacy in my statement.)
In order for a scientific theory to even be considered, it must be able to predict effects with a reliability of at at least 1 sigma. 

A baseline for physics is 3 sigma.

Do you think the computer you're staring at could be reliable enough for you to use if it was based on unreliable random processes (gambler's fallacy)?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Athias

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
How exactly does "subjective idealism" conflict with "natural selection"?
Where did I state that it did?
You seemed to be suggesting that "natural selection" is invalid.

You also mentioned that you might consider yourself a "subjective idealist".

Are these two positions interrelated in your mind?

Or perhaps a better question might be, why would you presume intentionality is preferable to "natural selection"?

Or perhaps a better question might be, what specific logical problems can you point out regarding "natural selection"?
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
Here's the problem.

Are you suggesting that teaching the scientific theory of evolution is somehow anti-religious or anti-christian?

If this is NOT your suggestion, then why are you comparing "time in church" to "time in public school"?

It would appear that the one would have no effect on the other (they are not obviously in conflict).
Anti-christian in that it contradicts the account of creation in Genesis.

Scientific theories and ideologies can be mixed and matched.

Understanding a particular scientific theory does not necessarily inform your ideology or vice versa.

For example, an atheist might deny the validity of evolutionary theory and a theist might embrace it.

The theory itself is not an ideology and therefore cannot be in conflict with an ideology (unless that ideology explicitly excludes it).
That which a person embraces has nothing to do with the quality of an ideology or scientific theory. I asked you whether or not you presume that ideology and scientific theory were mutually exclusive. You've repeatedly stated that theory is not an ideology, but fail to demonstrate even in juxtaposition to that which you do consider ideology that it isn't an ideology. Thus far, you've argued Ipse Dixit.

Here you go. [LINK]
That's not proof. Do better.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Anti-christian in that it contradicts the account of creation in Genesis. 
Genesis may have just skimmed over exactly how god created everything...

I'm not sure the two are necessarily mutually exclusive.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
You've repeatedly stated that theory is not an ideology, but fail to demonstrate even in juxtaposition to that which you do consider ideology that it isn't an ideology. Thus far, you've argued Ipse Dixit.
I've provided definitions and examples.  You have explicitly refused to provide either.  You seem to be the one making "an assertion without proof; or a dogmatic expression of opinion."
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Here you go. [LINK]
That's not proof. Do better.
Bacteria have no brains.  They are purely mechanistic organisms (similar to a weather system).  They cannot have goals.

If you disagree, please present your top-secret, highly personal super special definition of "goals".
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
You seemed to be suggesting that "natural selection" is invalid.

You also mentioned that you might consider yourself a "subjective idealist".

Are these two positions interrelated in your mind?

Or perhaps a better question might be, why would you presume intentionality is preferable to "natural selection"?

Or perhaps a better question might be, what specific logical problems can you point out regarding "natural selection"?
I continue to repeat that "seem" is not an argument because it isn't an argument. "Seem" is your impression. If I didn't state it, then I did not state it. And once again, I do not take a position. I merely observe. At best, you may be able to state that I'm characterizing both evolution and religion as comparably rational or irrational. I don't have any proclivity toward either. My original statement if you remember assessed young Christians' leaving the Church for (more) rational beliefs, and noting that Evolution was mentioned. You and some of the others took grievance with my characterizing evolution as an ideology. It only "appears" that I'm claiming invalidity if one holds the scientific method as the primary metric for discerning information about one's environment. To me, it's all the same. Science is no less abstract than religion.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Athias
Nice bit of sophistry. Evolution doesn't simply state "change over time." It's an ideology attempting to explain the method and nature of this presumable change--particularly biologically.
I'd say pedantry rather than sophistry.  I think an ideology based on evolution would be called 'evolutionism'.

I think it would be nice to know what you think.  It's clear what we evolutionists believe, but what precisely do you believe?  Are you YEC, OEC, ID?   for all I know you could be a Lamarckian!   
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
I continue to repeat that "seem" is not an argument because it isn't an argument. "Seem" is your impression. If I didn't state it, then I did not state it. And once again, I do not take a position. I merely observe. At best, you may be able to state that I'm characterizing both evolution and religion as comparably rational or irrational. I don't have any proclivity toward either. My original statement if you remember assessed young Christians' leaving the Church for (more) rational beliefs, and noting that Evolution was mentioned. You and some of the others took grievance with my characterizing evolution as an ideology. It only "appears" that I'm claiming invalidity if one holds the scientific method as the primary metric for discerning information about one's environment.
And...

To me, it's all the same. Science is no less abstract than religion. 
KABOOM!!
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
Genesis may have just skimmed over exactly how god created everything...

I'm not sure the two are necessarily mutually exclusive.

That's conjectural.

I've provided definitions and examples.  You have explicitly refused to provide either.  You seem to be the one making "an assertion without proof; or a dogmatic expression of opinion."
You've provided definitions; you've provided examples. You have not provided substance. I'm not attempting to have a semantic debate. We can operate using your definition given that my descriptions is apparently irrelevant. Now, demonstrate how scientific theory cannot be an ideology, per your definition, and not just state that they can't.

They cannot have goals.

Where's your proof. Your video didn't state that they can't have goals. It didn't even imply it (if anything, it implied the contrary.) Please elaborate on the reason they cannot have goals.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
KABOOM!!
An epiphany? Care to explain?

Athias
Athias
-->
@keithprosser
I'd say pedantry rather than sophistry.
I don't deny that one has to be a pedant to employ sophistry effectively.

I think it would be nice to know what you think.  It's clear what we evolutionists believe, but what precisely do you believe?  Are you YEC, OEC, ID?   for all I know you could be a Lamarckian!   

None. I subscribe neither to creationism nor evolution(ism.) I contend only that believing in one is no more rational than the other.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Athias
I do not take a position. I merely observe.
Then I suggest you write in a way that doesn't make you come over as a creationist stooge.  Personally, I believe that if you quack like a duck and walk like a duck your still a duck after denying it.   It just makes you a dishonest duck.

Where's your proof. Your video didn't state that they can't have goals. It didn't even imply it (if anything, it implied the contrary.) Please elaborate on the reason they cannot have goals.
How much elastic is allowed in saying what a 'goal' is?      

Athias
Athias
-->
@keithprosser
Then I suggest you write in a way that doesn't make you come over as a creationist stooge.  Personally, I believe that if you quack like a duck and walk like a duck your still a duck after denying it.   It just makes you a dishonest duck.
I'm not much invested in lying to people whom I don't know. If I were a "creationist stooge," I'd take no issue submitting that information.

GuitarSlinger
Debates: 15
GuitarSlinger
-->
@Mopac
Onward through the fog!
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
@Athias
It is the absolute truth that nothing could exist without God, who we certainly acknowledge as the creator. It is not possible that a scientific theory can refute this reality.

GuitarSlinger
Debates: 15
GuitarSlinger
-->
@disgusted
I wasn't defining that as sexual morality, i was simply explaining what he was saying when said making sex an idol before God. 
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
It is the absolute truth that all gods are created by men and that most definitely includes yours.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Define sexual immorality.
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@Athias
Water's flowing down hill is a phenomenon, not a consequence. Consequence implies action; action implies agency. Even your statement "survival is a consequence of 'not dying'" implies a goal since it can be written as "to survive is to not die." To not die is the end of the effort to survive. Now if you're stating survival=not dying, that's another thing. But relating the two by incorporating the concept of consequence is counterintuitive. 
Phenomena and consequence are not distinct things. All phenomena are consequences of something. Water flowing downhill is a consequence of rain, for instance. Or a consequence of whatever action put the water uphill.

Perhaps you mean that the tendency of water to flow downhill is a phenomenon? If that is the distinction you are making, then ok, but one can counter that by saying that the tendency of populations to evolve via natural selection is also a phenomenon.

And, in fact, evolution is a phenomenon, and is as inevitable as water flowing downhill. The first thing to realize is that it is not survival that matters in evolution. Rather, it is offspring production. Sure, organisms must survive to produce offspring. But they could survive forever and if they produce no offspring they are an evolutionary dead-end.

Once you realize that evolution is about offspring production, it becomes a simple math exercise. If you produce more than an average number of viable offspring for your species, then the gene variants you carry increase in frequency in the population. If you produce fewer than average viable offspring, then the gene variants you carry decrease in frequency. That is, in fact, the very definition of evolution: a change in allele frequency in a population over time.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
It is not possible that a scientific theory can refute this reality.
Science is (by definition) incapable of refuting unfalsifiable hypotheses.