Posts in total: 67
  • zedvictor4
    zedvictor4 avatar
    Debates: 15
    Forum posts: 3,945
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4
    --> @skittlez09
    Stick a urinal on a plinth and call it fountain.

Was Marcel being serious or literally taking the piss?

Hey, but he convinced people that it had value. Which as you suggested, is what it's all about.

If you can convince the gullible it's art, then they will happily part with their money. 

Money, that's what really makes society tick.

Fuck art.
  • skittlez09
    skittlez09 avatar
    Debates: 1
    Forum posts: 1,014
    skittlez09 avatar
    skittlez09
    --> @zedvictor4
    ok lol 
  • fauxlaw
    fauxlaw avatar
    Debates: 57
    Forum posts: 2,392
    fauxlaw avatar
    fauxlaw
    --> @DynamicSquid
    Your original premise asks for two different causes and effects. Yet you ask to be proven wrong. That, art aside, is an enigma wrapped in a paradox. Nevertheless, in the end, art is either the best free expression of man, or it is anything you can get away with for a buck, and anything in between. It is sacred, and it is profane. Each of us must either ignore it altogether, and it is obvious many posters here take that approach and walk away, or we must embrace the sacred and shun the profane, or vice versa, for that matter, and do so with each article of art we encounter and pause to evaluate. I've proven nothing but to affirm that art is conundrum, and no one is right or wrong.
  • ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    Forum posts: 5,474
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    --> @SupaDudz
    Some great novels have arisen in the modern era.
    Harry Potter
    Sorry Supa. Harry Potter is not an example of a great novel. It's garbage. Your other examples were good examples though.
  • ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    --> @zedvictor4
    Some "modern art" is definitely the untalented, taking the piss out of the gullible.
    Yes, Some "modern art" is definitely the untalented, taking the piss out of the gullible, that is true true.

Take religion for example.
    Right. Not, "some" religion.

Biased much?
  • zedvictor4
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4
    --> @ethang5
    Artistic expressions really.

Nonetheless;

"Some".
    No..... Religion in general..... I'm not picky.

As I always say, all hypotheses are valid as such.

But religions have a habit of extracting large sums of money from their dutiful followers.

Someone somewhere get's fat at the expense of the gullible.

And maintaining all that religious infrastructure doesn't come cheap.

If a god does exist, then it surely doesn't require a multi-billion dollar industry here on Earth to back it up.

Believe in God my son, and fuck the church roof. (Though maybe church roof's in the U.S. aren't such an ongoing problem as here in the U.K.)

• ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    --> @zedvictor4
    "Some". No..... Religion in general..... I'm not picky.
    You're not objective either.

As I always say, all hypotheses are valid as such.
    Why would you always say a thing that is untrue?

If a god does exist,....
    Aaaaand the uni-topic atheist is back to his obsession. God does not exist.

...it surely doesn't require a multi-billion dollar industry here on Earth to back it up
    Does modern art require a multi-billion dollar industry here on Earth to back it up?

Know what I think I'll do? I'm going to make thread "Does God Exist?" that will act as a trawling net to catch all the atheists who are incapable of arguing anything other than "Does God Exist?", who keep contaminating and derailing every thread with their inexplicable obsession. 

Modern art is a scam, and these geniuses are here again whining that God doesn't exist. Where is that face-palm emoji when you need it?
  • JoshFerguson
    JoshFerguson avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 5
    JoshFerguson avatar
    JoshFerguson
    I agree. Any artist who wants to explore concepts by splashing paint is lazy. Real masters can paint beautiful masterpieces that explore the concepts in modern art far better.

360 days later

• zedvictor4
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4
    --> @Asarsax
    Thing is though.

Anything can unskilfully be presented as art.

The success of the artwork is more dependant on the academic and social credentials of the artist, rather than their artistic skill.

Take a pile of bricks for example....Something that any Bob the builder, could do quite adeptly.

The question is....Is Art the end result.....Or the formulation and consequent manifestation of a concept .

Nonetheless, any Tom, Dick or Harriet can formulate a concept and produce an accompanying artwork.

For example...I just had the idea of standing two saucepans one on top of the other and calling it Onwards to Victory.......Would that be Art or Scam?

Or  to be taken seriously.......Do I require a BA degree, and need to be exhibited in all the right places and be seen by all the right people.
  • Reece101
    Reece101 avatar
    Forum posts: 531
    Reece101 avatar
    Reece101
    --> @zedvictor4
    There’s a ton of really cool innovative art forms.
    What you’re referring to is the fringe of the fringe that gets picked up in right-wing media.

• Reece101
    Reece101 avatar
    Forum posts: 531
    Reece101 avatar
    Reece101
    --> @DynamicSquid
    I could literally recreate every single picture in milliseconds. I don't care about the fake "emotion" they put into it, or the amount of "skill" it takes to splash paint like a 2 year old.

Real art takes skill, and possibly weeks of painting.

Change my mind.
    Do you mean modern art or contemporary art?

I don’t care if the art is not an original, as long at it looks good.
    The work put into design isn’t exclusive to the canvas.
  • Theweakeredge
    Theweakeredge avatar
    Debates: 21
    Forum posts: 2,465
    Theweakeredge avatar
    Theweakeredge
    --> @Reece101
    I don't think this person understands what graphic design is
  • fauxlaw
    fauxlaw avatar
    Debates: 57
    Forum posts: 2,392
    fauxlaw avatar
    fauxlaw
    --> @zedvictor4
    For your saucers to be art, particularly by hanging an apparent non-relative title on it, caused a major rift between ordinary people who could appreciate art no more than deciding they "liked it," or not, but had no frame of reference to modern abstract art, which gave them nothing but what appeared to be tossing a paint bucket at a canvas, for example. We recognize that it is paint, and that's as far as it goes for lay novice in the art world. Your saucers might be compared to Picasso's effort of mounting bicycle handle bars to a bicycle seat, to offer the sudden, immediately recognized bull's head skeleton, except that your saucers, immediately recognized as such, and your given title, "Onward to Victory," offer no relevance to one another the lay art critic can conclude and say, "I get it." Another good example of truly good art is Rene Magritte's painting of a smoking pipe, titled, "The treachery of Images," with the phrase written beneath the pipe, "Ceci n'est pas une pipe." [This is not a pipe]. It isn't; it's just a simple, accurate drawing of a pipe. The art is as much a part of the title ans the painting, itself.
  • zedvictor4
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4
    --> @fauxlaw @Reece101
    All true I expect.

I'm not necessarily knocking skill and good visual  modern art.

I'm questioning what actually is art....Is it as much the thought as it is the end result.....Perhaps even more so.

Christo's wrappings for example, were no doubt visually impressive....And though Christo had the ideas and pointed the finger,  the installations were the work of a team of skilful engineers......So who actually created the artwork?....And who will be remembered for doing so?
  • Greyparrot
    Greyparrot avatar
    Debates: 2
    Forum posts: 10,171
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot
    --> @SirAnonymous

Modern Art in song.
  • ebuc
    ebuc avatar
    Forum posts: 1,444
    ebuc avatar
    ebuc
    --> @Reece101 @zedvictor4
    There’s a ton of really cool innovative art forms.
    I agree tons of tons and here is recent one 3ru posted. It is crude and crass, --no indecency shown and maybe not stated---   but I think a great example of music video art. LINK

I gave it 5 stars { ***** }, but hey I'm not really into much the art this or that as a critique, however,  I liked it for its humor embedded within all of the the techo hip-hop music -- not dance music for me---, but I thought it was interesting for sure.
  • Intelligence_06
    Intelligence_06 avatar
    Debates: 60
    Forum posts: 1,872
    Intelligence_06 avatar
    Intelligence_06
    --> @zedvictor4

If you can convince the gullible it's art, then they will happily part with their money.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you don't want to buy anything they offer you, go ahead. If you are gonna criticize an artwork through a single kind and/or work of art, remember that you aren't living in a society with a linear standard of art. There are people who like Picasso's surrealism, there are people who like Da Vinci's realism, and there are people who likes Michelangelo's 3d works instead of 2d... Of course, if people are willing to buy it as art, it is art to them, even if it isn't to you. And if it is being traded and identified as art by at least a part of society(say, a taped banana being sold for like 100,000$), it would be classified as art. If it is art, then some people like it, and let them be.