Trump's Impeachment may actually fuck Elizabeth Warren the most

Author: Imabench

Total: 154
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Imabench
By not ever holding a high level position like Senator or Governor or Attorney General, Buttigieg has effectively not done anything outrageously questionable in the time he has been in politics since he has never held a position of high importance.
Disagree. He worked at McKinsey for several years. They are basically an amoral company that will take money from anyone (from dictators to grocery stores) and help them figure out who to fire, what prices they can jack up etc. Working at McKinsey and not having and still defending status quo economics means he has shown he wants to be part of the problem. 

He also fired the only black police chief of his city in a scandal where a group of corrupt cops were scheming to get that chief fired. He hasn't really addressed that at all. His campaign lied about having support from black people when several of the high profile people were clear they weren't endorsing him. 

The problem isn't that he doesn't have any scandals, the problem is that mainstream media outlets refuse to cover them. 

Pete has been sliding for about 2 weeks now. Last night's performance will only speed his decent most likely. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Imabench
Trump's impeachment might actually fuck Elizabeth Warren the most.                                                                                                                                        

Summons up all sorts of images.

And I didn't realise that's what you referred to them as over there

So how big is Donald's impeachment?

Elizabeth might be in for a pleasant surprise perhaps.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Imabench
This is a question for anyone, If the President has been impeached by the House, which he has been. And the Senate doesn't remove Trump from office, according to what I have read Trumps first term in office  is nullified and he can run as President for two more terms.  So Trump 2020 and 2024? Assuming of course he wins in a rigged and unfair election against him  like last time.  I think this would cause heads to literally explode and would be very entertaining to watch.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@sadolite
If the President has been impeached by the House, which he has been. And the Senate doesn't remove Trump from office, according to what I have read Trumps first term in office  is nullified and he can run as President for two more terms.
Where did you hear that? I'm pretty sure that is a lie. 

dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@sadolite
That's an interesting viewpoint. On what basis did your source make that argument?

To me the 22nd amendment reads quite plainly that you cannot be elected twice, or if you have been president for at least two years of a term you may only be elected as president once more.

Despite Trump being impeached during his first term, this does not negate the fact that he was elected as president and served for at least two years of a term. Or so my interpretation goes.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@sadolite
Is he impeached if Pelosi refuses to pass impeachment to the Senate?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
If this is the case, Bill Clinton will definitely be on the ballot.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
Presidents that have been impeached by the house but are not convicted by the senate are still impeached. ie Clinton was still impeached despite not being convicted by the senate

What makes you think Clinton is eligible to be on the ballot based on what I said?

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
- Dem voters think he is guilty and massively corrupt, no one can change their minds
- GOP voters think he is not guilty and did nothing wrong, no one can change their minds
- House Dems would vote in favor of impeachment
- House GOP would vote against it
- Senate Dems would likely vote in favor of impeachment
- Senate GOP would likely vote against impeachment
- Due to GOP majority in the Senate, Trump likely would not be removed from office
- Its possible that Trump loses re-election anyways and makes the whole thing irrelevant by this time next 
Pretty much, the polls don't move anymore, it's complete polarization

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff
If america stopped taking in immigrants it's economy would slow if not stop growing entirely. America is a nation of immigrants with a negative birth to death rate.

Maybe our economy would slow, but I bet our quality of life would increase. When you stop letting in public charges, you can spend more on your people already here.

people can shop around all they want, if no company is willing to pay more, then it is entirely irrelevant. Immigration does have an effect on wages. But it is largely a red herring. Politicians and billionaires use it as a distraction because it is much easier to blame some foreigner than you don't know than to pin the blame where it really belongs. Billionaires and politicians have set up the economic system to massively reward the rich and suck the wealth out of the working class. 

Well, you are partially correct, but you are focusing on the wrong issue. Rich people and large corporations lobby for mass immigration/open borders-like policies. This hurts the wages of people here and working conditions. Labor is the largest cost for most businesses and they want to reduce it any way they can. So, letting in a million immigrants every year will depress wages by limiting the bargaining power of native-born workers. This helps the rich's bottom line and screws working-class Americans.

sorry. He does use a lot of populist rhetoric. I can see why alot of people would like him over some asshole like the standard republican. But you can't deny he goes off on unhinged rants. There is an entire industry based around trying to interpret what he says because no one can really tell what he means .

I prefer him over a lot of Republicans because a lot of them are garbage neo-con sellouts. You see that whenever a big bill comes in that could challenge an interest group and they fold immediately. Lots of Democrats do this, too. The only good thing about Bernie in my opinion is that he doesn't appear to be bought.

Yeah, Trump has some crazy rants. I went to one rally of his, but he was fine there. He was a pretty funny guy, but sometimes the stress must get to him.

DynamicSquid
Debates: 29
DynamicSquid
Trump's impeachment is a loyalty test for Republicans
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@bmdrocks21
Maybe our economy would slow, but I bet our quality of life would increase. When you stop letting in public charges, you can spend more on your people already here.
Why? There is no reason to think a shrinking economy would somehow improve the standard of living.

Well, you are partially correct, but you are focusing on the wrong issue. Rich people and large corporations lobby for mass immigration/open borders-like policies. This hurts the wages of people here and working conditions. Labor is the largest cost for most businesses and they want to reduce it any way they can. So, letting in a million immigrants every year will depress wages by limiting the bargaining power of native-born workers. This helps the rich's bottom line and screws working-class Americans.
again, this is a distraction. Unemployment remains low even with immigration. Wages remain low because big corporations do shitty things like destroying unions, keeping the minimum wage down, etc. 

I prefer him over a lot of Republicans because a lot of them are garbage neo-con sellouts. You see that whenever a big bill comes in that could challenge an interest group and they fold immediately. Lots of Democrats do this, too. The only good thing about Bernie in my opinion is that he doesn't appear to be bought.
Agreed. most "mainstream" republicans and democrats are virtually the same party. The want to make the rich richer and sell out the working class. But if you think trump isn't doing the same thing you are mistaken. The minute he got elected he filled the government positions with same corrupt people. He gave massive tax cuts to the rich driving up the deficit. They will then use that deficit to argue that spending on programs that help regular people need to be cut. 

Imabench
Imabench
-->
@sadolite
And the Senate doesn't remove Trump from office, according to what I have read Trumps first term in office  is nullified and he can run as President for two more terms
That is wholly incorrect. A vote of impeachment that does not result in removal from office does not give a president a do-over. I have no idea what could even make you think that would even be a thing. 

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff
Why? There is no reason to think a shrinking economy would somehow improve the standard of living.

The growth rate may slow. If you import more workers and they hold a job, it adds to GDP. But, welfare expenditures are sometimes very high. Immigrant-led households accept welfare at a 51% rate. A lot of them take more than they give, so keeping the money and spending it on ourselves has potential to increase standard of living.
If we accept non-public charges, the opposite could be true.
Just in general, I think immigrants should have to live here for 5-10 years before receiving benefits, as that solves both problems.

again, this is a distraction. Unemployment remains low even with immigration. Wages remain low because big corporations do shitty things like destroying unions, keeping the minimum wage down, etc. 

I don't see how immigration is a distraction. They compete for jobs and they are willing to accept less money than native-born citizens. So, either we need to be willing to accept less ourselves or we don't get a job. That is another factor for wages not rising. Also, unemployment is a faulty statistic. People who aren't looking for jobs/have stopped looking aren't considered in that statistic. So, if immigrant laborers undercut their wages, they may eventually give up hope and stop looking.

Agreed. most "mainstream" republicans and democrats are virtually the same party. The want to make the rich richer and sell out the working class. But if you think trump isn't doing the same thing you are mistaken. The minute he got elected he filled the government positions with same corrupt people. He gave massive tax cuts to the rich driving up the deficit. They will then use that deficit to argue that spending on programs that help regular people need to be cut. 

I honestly like some of the crazier lefties over corporate Republicans(neo-cons) because at the very least, they are principled and consistent. They aren't just there for power. The establishment overspend on the military fighting wars we have no right or interest being involved in. It is disgusting.

I don't think Trump is some kind of savior. He is better than the average Republican, probably. I was so pissed when he appointed John Bolton, though. Glad he was thrown out quickly.

I don't particularly care for the usual "tax cuts" Republicans do. Spending cuts need to come before tax cuts every time. But unfortunately you can't win elections promising to take away peoples' free stuff. So, about half of Republicans vote for tax cuts with no intention of balancing the budget. Sad :/
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@bmdrocks21
The growth rate may slow. If you import more workers and they hold a job, it adds to GDP. But, welfare expenditures are sometimes very high. Immigrant-led households accept welfare at a 51% rate. A lot of them take more than they give, so keeping the money and spending it on ourselves has potential to increase standard of living.
That;s a bit like saying if I don't buy gas for my car I have more money. But then you can't get to work to make more money. In the short term that might have some positive side effects. But you are going to push the economy into recession and ultimately screw over everyone. 

Just in general, I think immigrants should have to live here for 5-10 years before receiving benefits, as that solves both problems.
Oh, so people should just come to america, live and in poverty and squalor because you don't think they should get to eat or have some place to live. America is a nation of immigrants. You are almost certainly descended from immigrants. I will never understand why some people continue to see immigrants as a threat or burden. 

I don't see how immigration is a distraction. They compete for jobs and they are willing to accept less money than native-born citizens. So, either we need to be willing to accept less ourselves or we don't get a job. That is another factor for wages not rising.
I never denied it was a factor. But it is a small one. Immigrants don't decide what labor is worth, billionaires do. So blaming them while not targeting the oligarchs causing the problem is ridiculous. 

I don't think Trump is some kind of savior. He is better than the average Republican, probably. I was so pissed when he appointed John Bolton, though. Glad he was thrown out quickly.
Pompeo isn't any better. Trump has filled his cabinet with people who are desperate to start some new wars. Trump himself has admitted he was minutes away from starting a war with Iran before calling it off last minute. 

I don't particularly care for the usual "tax cuts" Republicans do. Spending cuts need to come before tax cuts every time. But unfortunately you can't win elections promising to take away peoples' free stuff. So, about half of Republicans vote for tax cuts with no intention of balancing the budget.
America's tax rates have been falling for decades. There are definitely problems of money being misspent. But the rich have systematically undermined america's tax system. They have lobbied hard to avoid paying taxes and it has been working. That is also a very large factor in america's budget problems. 
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Imabench
Yes it is incorrect. I admit I am wrong. I can do that.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Imabench
There is a strong possibility Pelosi won't even pass the articles to the Senate.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
There is a strong possibility Pelosi won't even pass the articles to the Senate.
Several members of the senate have already announced their verdict without having seen or heard the evidence. The leader of the senate is saying he is going to co-ordinate with the president's lawyers and that they won't allow any witnesses. That is like the foreman of a jury saying they will coordinate with the defense attorney.

Trump has already been impeached, if the trial is going to be rigged from the outset, I have no issue with the articles not being sent to the senate.    
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
One question I have is that, if the articles of impeachment aren't sent to the Senate, has Trump actually been impeached? The question has absolutely no practical effect other than Trump bragging about never being impeached as though that was somehow meaningful. The Constitution is silent on the question, so I would presume the answer is that no one knows the answer and that there's no practical reason to care. However, it interests me nonetheless.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@SirAnonymous
One question I have is that, if the articles of impeachment aren't sent to the Senate, has Trump actually been impeached?
The answer is yes. Once the house votes in favor of articles of impeachment, the president has been impeached. this has already happened. 

The senate is a separate phase that is supposed to be akin to a trial. But since the jury (the senators) have already declared they are going to co-ordinate with the defendant, we will see when/if the articles are sent to them. 
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@HistoryBuff
I would probably agree, but it would be impeachment in name only, since they would take no action on it in that scenario.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@SirAnonymous
I would probably agree, but it would be impeachment in name only, since they would take no action on it in that scenario.
McConnell has already basically announced there won't be any action. They won't allow witnesses or evidence to be examined. If the senate is going to refuse to actually hold a real trial, then there is no value in sending the articles of impeachment to them. They will just immediately announce "nothing to see here" and try to make it all go away. 

They are so afraid of what witnesses may say they will just prevent any witnesses from speaking. For example we just found out that the 1st official request to hold up the aid was 90 minutes after trump's call with the ukranian president where he asked for them to dig up dirt on Biden. That 1st email also made it clear they wanted it kept quiet, showing they knew what they were doing was wrong. 

SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@HistoryBuff
McConnell has already basically announced there won't be any action. They won't allow witnesses or evidence to be examined. If the senate is going to refuse to actually hold a real trial, then there is no value in sending the articles of impeachment to them. They will just immediately announce "nothing to see here" and try to make it all go away.
Yes, that's a mistake on his part.
They are so afraid of what witnesses may say they will just prevent any witnesses from speaking.
I doubt that. The facts of what happened are fairly well known. The question is more about whether or not it's illegal and/or impeachable, and if so, is impeachment a good idea?
For example we just found out that the aid the 1st official request to hold up the aid was 90 minutes after trump's call with the ukranian president where he asked for them to dig up dirt on Biden. That 1st email also made it clear they wanted it kept quiet, showing they knew what they were doing was wrong. 
Only Trump and his most ardent defenders refuse to admit that what Trump did was wrong. I'm not enough of a legal expert to know if it was illegal as well as wrong. Personally, I think the Democrats are barking up the wrong tree. A far better charge for impeachment would target the national emergency declaration over the border wall. The Constitution makes it extremely clear that only Congress has the power to appropriate funds, so that action was a blatant abuse and overreach of executive power. If I had the power to do so, I would impeach Trump over that. It wouldn't be popular, but such a blatant abuse being allowed sets a dangerous precedent for future presidents.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@SirAnonymous
I doubt that. The facts of what happened are fairly well known. The question is more about whether or not it's illegal and/or impeachable, and if so, is impeachment a good idea?
Is it? Trump denies that withholding the aid had anything to do with getting the Ukrainians to investigate Biden. He insists that he was only interested in fighting corruption in some general, altruistic sense. He also insists the Ukrainians didn't even know the aid was being withheld. All of that is lies. And if people testify under oath, then those lies will be revealed. 

If a real impeachment trial were to take place, more incriminating evidence will come out. It would look really bad for trump and McConnell can't allow that. 

Only Trump and his most ardent defenders refuse to admit that what Trump did was wrong.
fox news argues that literally every day. And they have managed to convince a reasonably large segment of the population. 

Personally, I think the Democrats are barking up the wrong tree. A far better charge for impeachment would target the national emergency declaration over the border wall. The Constitution makes it extremely clear that only Congress has the power to appropriate funds, so that action was a blatant abuse and overreach of executive power. If I had the power to do so, I would impeach Trump over that. It wouldn't be popular, but such a blatant abuse being allowed sets a dangerous precedent for future presidents.
I don't really disagree. What trump did with Ukraine was illegal and abuse of power. But he abuses his power so regularly and in so publicly that trying to pin down 1 specific example to impeach him for is difficult. I mean he has breached the emoluments clause pretty much constantly but his base simply doesn't care. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
Pelosi is really all over the place.
First, she says Trump is an existential threat that must be immediately removed or the country will be destroyed, then she says "eh, no rush."
First, she says it's a solemn moment, she prays for Trump, and there should be no applause, then a few days later magically she says she has a "spring in her step" and orders the media to cover something other than impeachment. Whatevs.
2020 is going to flip the house whether she passes articles to the Senate or not. There's no path forward for Pelosi, and she knows it. She was promised gold and got horseshit.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
Several members of the senate have already announced their verdict without having seen or heard the evidence. The leader of the senate is saying he is going to co-ordinate with the president's lawyers and that they won't allow any witnesses. That is like the foreman of a jury saying they will coordinate with the defense attorney.

It's more like some stupid charges going to a DA, and the DA saying, horseshit, we can't get a conviction with no evidence and no fact witnesses.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Several members of the senate have already announced their verdict without having seen or heard the evidence. 
Unlike the members of the House who have been braying about impeachment since 2016? Or claiming they had evidence of Trumps collusion? Or call him a traitor 6 months ago? Does reality matter to lib dems?

The leader of the senate is saying he is going to co-ordinate with the president's lawyers and that they won't allow any witnesses. That is like the foreman of a jury saying they will coordinate with the defense attorney.
He said it publicly. Adam Shiff coordinated with the so called whistle blower secretly, and then lied about it.

Which of them do you think has something to hide? Really, does reality matter to lib dems?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
First, she says Trump is an existential threat that must be immediately removed or the country will be destroyed, then she says "eh, no rush."
When did she say "no rush"? McConnell has announced the trial will be rigged and corrupt. Sending the articles to them right now would serve no purpose. If holding onto them can get him to agree to have an actual trial, then waiting would definitely be the right move. And if he won't allow a fair trial, then it doesn't matter if she ever sends them. 

First, she says it's a solemn moment, she prays for Trump, and there should be no applause, then a few days later magically she says she has a "spring in her step" and orders the media to cover something other than impeachment. Whatevs.
lol so republicans attack dems for being "do nothing" and being obsessed with impeachment. But when they move on and try to do other things republicans attack them for not being focused on impeachment. Just like when they were criticizing them for having a "secret impeachment" during the inquiry and the republicans wanted public access, then when it was opened to the public they complained that dems were opening it just to attack the president. That is some impressive cognitive dissonance. 

2020 is going to flip the house whether she passes articles to the Senate or not. There's no path forward for Pelosi, and she knows it.
What? why would you think that? Trump's approval rating is still under water. Every head to head shows most dem candidates beating him. There is no reason to think the republicans will do well in 2020. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
Pelosi is the REAL battered housewife here, not Zelensky.

Beleaguered Pelosi won't press charges if she thinks a trial might upset the status quo.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Pelosi is the REAL battered housewife here, not Zelensky.

Beleaguered Pelosi won't press charges if she thinks a trial might upset the status quo.
I honestly don't know what you are trying to say. Pelosi won't send the charges to the senate if the republicans are going to engage in a corrupt non-trial.