Archived
Read-only
Total: 90
ResurgetExFavilla
Debates: 0
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@drafterman
Entropy only applies to closed systems. The reason that we are even having this discussion is because this site isn't a closed system. Personally, I'm more concerned with new blood than with people carrying over personal baggage over from old DDO, since they will eventually far outnumber any of us if the site succeeds. And which would be more offensive to a brand new person? Being told 'yeah, this site was originally created when another debate site failed and there was a mass migration, so we migrated the old HoF over and if you contribute a lot you will probably be inducted in a few rounds' (in this case the few first rounds are more likely to be new blood, because many old members will already be inducted) or to see a bunch of people from the old site being reinducted into the new hall of fame, with most of the discussed prospective inductees being old members? Which is more likely to inspire contribution? Which is more likely to create the impression of 'I can jump right in and become a respected member'? I think that any new member who gets bent out of shape over something that happened before he joined the site would definitely be in the minority.

In fact, the increased likelihood of being inducted into a HoF which includes old DOD is more inclusive because the new member is ranked as an equal with all those old members. I can only see people having a problem with it if they bear some sort of personal grudge or ill feelings against old DDO, and those people are a minority within a minority.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Entropy only applies to closed systems. The reason that we are even having this discussion is because this site isn't a closed system.
I wasn't literally saying that the laws of thermodynamics apply here, I was simply saying that going from a biased system to a meritocratic system is as likely as the decrease of entropy in a closed system. It's an analogy. That's just not how these things work.

Personally, I'm more concerned with new blood than with people carrying over personal baggage over from old DDO, since they will eventually far outnumber any of us if the site succeeds. And which would be more offensive to a brand new person? Being told 'yeah, this site was originally created when another debate site failed and there was a mass migration, so we migrated the old HoF over and if you contribute a lot you will probably be inducted in a few rounds' (in this case the few first rounds are more likely to be new blood, because many old members will already be inducted) or to see a ta bunch of people from the new site being reinducted into the new hall of fame, with most of the discussed prospective inductees being old members?
The first. In either case you have people being unduly put into the HoF (not put in their for contributions on this site, which is what the HoF should be). But with the second there would have been a vote (ostensibly to induct people based on behavior here) in which new blood could have participated in. Again, if we're suggesting that there is going to be mass corruption from the get go, then I say scrap the idea altogether.

Which is more likely to inspire contribution? Which is more likely to create the impression of 'I can jump right in and become a respected member'? I think that any new member who gets bent out of shape over something that happened before he joined the site would definitely be in the minority.
Having a new HoF with no members grandfathered in which people vote on members of this site for contributions they make to this site. If you think this is not an attainable goal, then I say we shouldn't even bother. We should do it right or not at all.

In fact, the increased likelihood of being inducted into a HoF which includes old DOD is more inclusive because the new member is ranked as an equal with all those old members. I can only see people having a problem with it if they bear some sort of personal grudge or ill feelings against old DDO, and those people are a minority within a minority.
We shouldn't be designing a system with an inherent bias. If this is not achievable, then we shouldn't design the system period.

I get that you are operating under the premise that a clean slate system will be inherently biased, so you are suggesting a counter. Even if I accept your premise, I say that we just don't have an HoF at all if it's going to be biased. But I don't accept your premise.
drafterman
drafterman
Clean Slate (6):
- SupaDudz
- MisterMan
- Castin
- ethang5
- drafterman
- Buddamoose

Transfer (4):
- Virtuouso
- Tejretics
- Vaarka
- ResurgetExFavilla
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Perhaps you could explain how transplanting the previously HoF list is going to eliminate the concern of bias in voting and the result that will have regarding new users? 

Unless all transplants from DDO who deserved to be in the HoF there were already inducted, I fail to see how transplanting the HoF list is going to eliminate this bias and unfairness that you are concerned about. It may reduce it, but there's still, per your arguments, going to be present members that cause the system to be carried out in a biased and unfair manner? 

At that point, as pointed out, why have it at all? It's only going to discourage new members, again, per your concerns. It may be less so, but that doesn't change it will still be as such. I may rejectreje premise that users can't operate without bias in voting, but for purposes and discussion I'm assuming the reverse to be true, as you are. 
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
So, I feel that the consensus of opinion is that DDO's HOF should not be transferred to this site (starting from a clean slate). I do like Vaar's suggestion of linking to DDO's HOF, however, as a nod to the heritage of the HOF. I am also getting the sense that a delayed implementation is desired, somewhere between 6 months and 1 year.

I would like, then, to get everyone's thoughts on the following sketch:

- Starting from a clean slate
- Linking to the old HOF
- Implementing the HOF sometime in April

If this sketch is acceptable, then there are several other questions which I would like to pose. But I'll wait to see if this basic outline meets with approval.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Linking to the old HOF

Disagree with this, DDO is not Dart. Linking to the DDO HoF sends the message that actions on DDO matter, even a little bit, to accomplishments here. When they simply do not, as they are separate websites. Recognition for accomplishments on DDO were given to those individuals there. If it means that much to them they can favorite the page themselves and look back at the inductions at their own leisure. 

I agree with the other two tho. 

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
- Linking to the old HOF
- Implementing the HOF sometime in April
For
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Buddamoose
I agree with you 100%, cut the umbilical cord, cauterize the ends, and move to the other side of the planet. But... sometimes you gotta compromise.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
cut the umbilical cord, cauterize the ends, and move to the other side of the planet

👏👏💯
Mister_Man
Mister_Man
-->
@Tejretics
It wouldn't be fair to people stumbling across DDO either, or any site with an existing user base.

But there's a difference between getting to a site later than other people and getting to a site at the same time as people who have migrated from another site and kept their stats from that other site.
bsh1
bsh1
Any other thoughts on those three points?
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Buddamoose
Perhaps you could explain how transplanting the previously HoF list is going to eliminate the concern of bias in voting and the result that will have regarding new users? 
That's a straw man. I never claimed that it would eliminate it, in fact I explicitly said that it was impossible to eliminate it. I said that it would reduce it by cutting the pool of old members who are eligible for induction by migrating the HoF itself.

Unless all transplants from DDO who deserved to be in the HoF there were already inducted, I fail to see how transplanting the HoF list is going to eliminate this bias and unfairness that you are concerned about. It may reduce it, but there's still, per your arguments, going to be present members that cause the system to be carried out in a biased and unfair manner? 
Reducing it is the point. That's like saying 'killing 80% of the mosquitos won't eliminate malaria, it will only reduce it, so it's best not to bother'.

At that point, as pointed out, why have it at all? It's only going to discourage new members, again, per your concerns. It may be less so, but that doesn't change it will still be as such. I may rejectreje premise that users can't operate without bias in voting, but for purposes and discussion I'm assuming the reverse to be true, as you are. 
The point of the HoF, in my mind, is to motivate people to contribute. The people who are here right now are already motivated; if they weren't they would have dropped off when DDO died. Instead, they moved here from DDO. There is a small vocal minority who dislike old DDO and want to make a 'clean break', and a larger majority that probably doesn't care much about the HoF at all and isn't really contributing to this thread.

But the thing is, if we want this site to work then we shouldn't be thinking about either of those groups, but instead about potential new users of the site who will join in the future. Any site this size has to attract new talent and grown, and that's where the HoF has some real utility aside from jacking off over the idea of having your name on a list of 'cool kids'. It's when the new person looks at it and says 'cool, I could make it in there and really feel like a part of the community'. That directly corresponds to their perceived likelihood of getting in, which is boosted by lowering the amount of competition that they face from established members.

So the question that we should be asking is: how would a fresh member weigh the costs and benefits? Would they be offended that the old HoF was migrated? That to me is just absurd. When I joined DDO, I wouldn't give a flying fuck if two years ago the whole community had migrated and had brought the old site's HoF along with them. That is only a concern which exists within a minority of the original site userbase, as it's tied to animus towards DDO, a website that a new member would have no experience with. So the answer is clear to me: I would feel like there was more social mobility if there had been more newer members inducted the last few times.

But I don't think that the right decision will be made here, because the discussion is among current DDO members, and like any topic the people with the strongest views are drawn to it. And those are the people who have some beef with the old DDO, who really want to 'cut clean' and have nothing to do with it. I don't think that most 'DDO refugees' really care either way, and so aren't voicing their opinion in this thread. I myself am pretty much tired of arguing the point right now, because it doesn't really affect me either way and I don't think that arguing will be effective against a strongly motivated, emotional minority. We will probably spend the first few years reinducting people like bsh, tej, and bench because of a fanatic opposition to the 'mixing of sites' when we could have forced the nomination process to look somewhere other than the obvious candidates, and maybe find some talent among the newbies to honor instead.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
If you're opinion of members and voters is so low that you attribute thrm absolutely no integrity, then we should t have an HOF in the first place.

I don't see how you can argue for an HOF when you have no faith that people are capable of voting objectively.

RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
HOF only matters to those that don't.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@drafterman
There is not a single person on this earth who is rational and objective. We have to make human institutions work in spite of our flaws. It's not a slight on someone to say that they're irrational and colored by bias; that's just part of the human condition.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
If you have zero faith to elect people to the HOF that deserve to be there I dont see why we should have one at all.
TheHammer
TheHammer
People saying a Hall of Fame should start soon are being ridiculous. Give the site time, wait at least 2 years imo
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheHammer
0 people are saying it should start soon.
TheHammer
TheHammer
-->
@drafterman
People are saying six months to a year, which is pretty soon
bsh1
bsh1
Final call for input on those 3 points, or any of the broad issues discussed thus far.
Imabench
Imabench
Im okay with linking to the previous HoF on DDO, though maybe it would be safer to just list the names of people in the DDO HoF and leave it at that, since it's no guarantee that DDO's forums will even be functioning properly in the future based on how the site is going. 

As for new entrants. We should definitely wait at least a year before starting it up again. Lets give the site some time to breathe and the user base to grow a little more before we commission popularity contests 
bsh1
bsh1
So, a few voices have spoken about delaying the HOF election even more than 6 months. So, I'll amend my original three-point framework:

- Linking to the old HOF
- Implementing the HOF sometime in June

That leads me to pose some additional questions. Should HOF elections be every 6 months or every year? Should the election system that existed on DDO be retained as it was? Should we include write-ups? Should we include all the same categories that existed on DDO? Should we add any categories? 

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Imabench
@bsh1
It is pretty blatant the flawed structure of the HOF when a legend like me isn't close to ever being on it while Freedo and Cody fucking Franklin, the guy who left the site during his vice presidency (yes yes we all know how Mikal was a fucking shame to the site and to Bench in what he did to the guy who gave him $200 and more to save him from supposed poverty and that c**t is on there hahahahahahaha, not laughing at you Bench... Actually you know what, I have every right to laugh a little but I admit even back then I felt extreme grief for you as I watched from the sidelines as Mikal completely tarnished your heartfelt attempts to go down in DDO history as part of the best presidency ever campaign through to execution of Office, he's a scumbag who doesn't deserve you).

I'm sorry but when Mikal, Cody, izbo, socialpinko are on it and RM, ESocial, Marie and her pseudonyms and many more are NOT on it I sit here wondering how it's determined.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I get how it works now, it's a popularity contest.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@RationalMadman
Do you have an alternative method for HOF selection in mind?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@bsh1
I struggle immensely with things like this because I am the type of person who only comprehends the objective in one way and subjective in another.

I want a hall of god damn legends where if you tarnish your rep enough you're dead to us and vice versa.

I want a hall of superiority, a hall of almighty legacy deeper than how well known you are but how deeply ingrained your legacy is. I tell you something I am working on living forever by investing in some cure for ageing type stuff when and if I have the cash and connections but if I do die I tell you one truth that I made happen purely by perseverance and never letting Juggle and Max tell me know, I will end up going down in history for EVERYTHING. Okay not for friendliest, that's for sure but I'm quite a varied individual who was renowned as a mediocre debater who had an indomitable 'Voldemort vibe' on the site but I am not just he who must not be named, not anymore. I will be the actual Captain Barbossa to online debating and I don't care what Bench makes of that. I went from being a little dirty banana peel on the floor seen as nothing but a malicious thing to laugh at and/or dislike while throwing in the trash... I was the worst of all banned users in my reputation, period.

I have single handedly worked to be a living legend in a way no other can and I will never stop being who I am even if I do end up banned here.

People like me are going to be talked about, looked up, yeah sure laughed at and disliked for generations I am talking HUMAN GENERATIONS to come. even if DA and DDO both die out, I tell you straight I will be discussed in the community in ways little crybaby banned users like izbo, askbob, qopel and whoever the hell else never will. I am on a whole other level of supremacy I don't need HOF membership.

You are going to make Mikal a legend, he already has the stats, he's in DDO physical history in that sense as an indisputable 'fame-worthy' guy but please, don't be confused... He's filth to the site and deserves loathing and a ban waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than anyone I have ever seen on the site short of these hacker advertisers.     
Jhhillman
Debates: 1
Jhhillman
-->
@RationalMadman
Dude, you aren't as much of a legend as you think you are. Your ego far outstrips your actual amazingness.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Jhhillman
Remind me again who are you?
Jhhillman
Debates: 1
Jhhillman
-->
@RationalMadman
Nobody important. An occasional visitor to the site who's seen your antics a few times before.
TheGreatSeal
Debates: 2
TheGreatSeal
-->
@bsh1
Would it be a good compromise if we kept recent additions, airmax, and those on the DDO HoF that are still active in the Hall of Fame? Choose an arbitrary DDO election for the HoF and keep everyone who was put there after that election. For instance, lannan gets in for being in the latest DDO HoF. Someone who won on the earlier election wouldn't, unless the person is so important to the DART community (say - Airmax) while not physically being on the site. That way, we can reward and credit people from DDO without making DART DDO.2. It establishes some continuity, but doesn't completely negate the different domain. But those are just my two cents.

Glad we added each other as friends before the DDOcalyspe,
GreatSeal (formerly greatkitteh).