Archived
Read-only
Total: 90
Smithereens
Debates: 2
Smithereens
-->
@RationalMadman
I get how it works now, it's a popularity contest.
Inductions inevitably fall to a vote, so yes, that's how it is.

Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
The one thing that truly bugged me about how the DDO HoF was handled was that towards the end it took place on a regular cycle for inducting members, rather than only take place when there was clearly someone who deserved to be inducted. There were basically two types of users who were inducted, with one half having a far larger impact on the site than the other. 

Initially the HoF was meant to enshrine those who had a fundamental impact on the site that contributed to it in major ways or altered how things were done on it. Innomen and Airmax were mods for the site who put their own brand of moderation and policy enforcement on the site, Ore_Ele came up with the ELO system eventually adopted by the site, and some users like Izbo were so toxic that they spurred changes in how moderation was conducted (Izbo was almost single-handedly responsible for the implementation of the trial system due to how unrelentingly retarded he was).... These guys fundamentally altered how the site was modded or triggered some sort of significant change on the site, and absolutely deserved to be in the Hall of Fame for it. 

However, most inductees eventually were just people who participated on the site for a very long period of time that eventually became known through the entire community just from interacting with them.... Freedo was the site's first/oldest friendly troll, Askbob led the first exodus of users from the site along with being incredibly hostile during the wild wild west times on DDO, I got in mostly because of The Weekly Stupid, fanfictions, largest number of won debates, and misc moments of trolling (The two movies I made came well after I was inducted so they don't really count). 

My point is: The main change I'd like to see to the Hall of Fame would be that it be limited to people who truly deserve to be in it, people who fundamentally changed how the site is organized or administered. DART has only been in existence for a handful of months now, with no individual member standing out simply because just about everyone hasn't done anything truly memorable yet. Rather than implement the HoF after a certain period of time and then update it on a regular basis for the sake of keeping it alive, it should only be established when someone truly deserves remembrance, and frankly we don't have anybody on this site who has achieved that status except for the creator themself. 
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Imabench
This is an excellent point which should be considered when we begin the HoF.

Walk on the Hollywood Walk of Fame today and you invariably ask, "who the hell was that?" Every one hit wonder and his dog seems to be on there.

TheHammer
Debates: 0
TheHammer
Bench is right. There's absolutely no reason to consider adding a hall of fame any time soon, much less within nine months
thett3
thett3
I agree strongly with Bench and would also like to point out that holding off at least a year or so to do a hall of fame solves the issue that was brought up by Vaarka. It's simply true that if we did it now or any time soon a lot of the votes would be based on things that happened on DDO because there is so much overlap between the two sites. The longer we wait, the more DDOs relevance to this site fades

This is a new site. I don't know if it will last. I hope it does. But let's wait until some legendary stuff actually happens to create a hall of fame
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Imabench
I take your point, and I think it's a good one. Do you think that, once an HOF is eventually started up, that nominations should be made by some sort of committee, to ensure a higher "quality" of nominees? 
Imabench
Imabench
-->
@bsh1
 Do you think that, once an HOF is eventually started up, that nominations should be made by some sort of committee, to ensure a higher "quality" of nominees? 
The only committee that should be involved in managing a Hall of Fame should be one to decide if there should be a ceremony to begin with.... Have the committee (of 3 people tops) PM each other once every 6 months to a year, and let them decide amongst themselves if more people deserve to get in or if we should take the half-year/full year off.

If they decide there are people who deserve recognition, let any one of them handle how it would be done. If they decide there isn't a clear need for a ceremony, pack up and wait 6 more months/another year. 

bsh1
bsh1
So, here we go again:

- Starting from a clean slate
- Linking to the old HOF
- Implementing the HOF sometime in October 2019
- Inductions held annually
- Same two-stage election method as on DDO
- Same categories as on DDO

Any final thoughts or comments? I'll hope to finalize the plan by tomorrow.

TheHammer
TheHammer
-->
@bsh1
My biggest thought/comment is that there's no need to finalize a plan. This site doesn't need to even be discussing a hall of fame right now.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@TheHammer
Noted. Nevertheless, there will come a time when a HOF is needed. I view this as forward planning.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheHammer
What do we need to be discussing now?
TheHammer
TheHammer
-->
@drafterman
Debates, forum topics, mafia, etc.

If that stuff eventually leads to a hall of fame, then make it. But the website domain was bought 2 months ago, why force all the stuff from DDO on it right away?
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@bsh1
Ability to knock a scumbag like mikal off it if they betray the site after getting saved from poverty by it.
bsh1
bsh1
Final bumparoo.

Any comments on post 68?
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
Looks good to me.
bsh1
bsh1
I posted the HOF thread as a way of reminding me to return to it a year from now. Its stated rules reflect those pillars I put forward in this thread.
Vaarka
Vaarka
Guys we have a year to make ourselves famous for stuff on DART. I call mafia
Goldtop
Goldtop
The Hall of Fame thingy was always a clique thingy, folks who actually deserved recognition never got it simply because they weren't part of the "group"
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Goldtop
I don't really agree with that. The HOF was always fairly diverse.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@bsh1
It has some who deserve it like you. It has some who don't like Mikal.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@RationalMadman
Without commenting on specific inductees, I can say that no institution, particularly no elective body, is going to be populated only by the deserving. As long as the institution remains more or less one that honors desert over other traits, it is worth retaining in my view.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@bsh1
Lol. Good one. Funny guy.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@bsh1
So expulsion from HoF is a no go for you?

Cody (cody_franklin not the cody from hangouts that I can't dox without breaking rules to explain who I am not referring to) and Mikal should be expelled from hof for desertion but mikal should be banned from ddo and da for how utterly mocking he was in doing so and he was also a con artist in what he did with the gofundme but i can't prove that except that the dude who is now working as a high flying accountant for a good bank was somehow in poverty LOL give me a break.

It isn't even about me liking the guy, it's about what the HoF is there to celebrate.

I do like that you were the one to nominate whiteflame. You 2 are by far the best users of DDO history and bluesteel is close third.

ShabShoral
ShabShoral
I can't wait for next year when y'all rig another election!
thett3
thett3
-->
@ShabShoral
this, but unironically 

TheHammer
TheHammer
-->
@thett3
@ShabShoral
this, but unironically 
this, but unironically
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@TheHammer
this, but unironically 
this, but unironically

this, but ironically

Vaarka
Vaarka
Put me in coach

ShabShoral
ShabShoral
Put me in Coach

TheHammer