Should abortion be legal?

Author: YeshuaBought

Total: 68
disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
-->
@Alec
What claim?  The claim that a fern is a less complex organism than a human because of what common sense tells us.
Your claim was:
A homosapian has more complex chromosomes
And I asked you to prove it. You may be right, but YOU have no possible way to prove it because you are ignorant of the method necessary to prove it. Just claiming it is an argument from ignorance.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Alec
As stated.

I was referring to the life and not the mass.

The obvious structural differences between a person and a blade of grass do not need pointing out.

But how do you distinguish between the spark of life that exists within both?
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@zedvictor4
But how do you distinguish between the spark of life that exists within both?
I honestly don't know, but I believe that there is something that makes a human superior to a blade of grass.  Got any ideas?

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Alec
Well the superiority of the mass in terms of comparative life forms is plain to see.

Is it possible for grass to have purpose and achievements beyond it's base function? It would seem unlikely.

Humans create purpose and achievements, though the question is do those actions have a greater meaning beyond Earthbound humanity itself?

Possibly, is the best answer I can give to that question.
Alec
Alec
-->
@zedvictor4
Well the superiority of the mass in terms of comparative life forms is plain to see.
If this were true, then an elephant would be superior to a human because an elephant is much more massive.  It also would mean that killing a 90 kg man would be less bad than killing 2 10 kg toddlers.  However, most people would consider a toddler to be more valuable than a man and 2 toddlers even more so.

Is it possible for grass to have purpose and achievements beyond it's base function?
If this is our baseline, since a 5 year old human hasn't achieved anything too important, would it be okay to kill a 5 year old?  No.  Therefore, some different criteria should be used to measure.

Humans create purpose and achievements, though the question is do those actions have a greater meaning beyond Earthbound humanity itself?
Not all humans do this to a meaningful extent.  Someone who has never worked a job hasn't contributed to society, yet if someone shoots them, unless under very rare circumstances, the shooter will and should be charged with homicide.
disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
-->
@Alec
And what makes a blastocyst superior to a blade of grass?
Alec
Alec
-->
@disgusted
My position defends a fetus, not a blastocyst.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Alec
A. You asked for my "ideas" concerning the meaning of life.

You have started secondary arguments based on my ideas.

B. Size and weight are not a necessarily the  measure of superiority.

Otherwise Elephants would dominate the Planet, rather than cling on to a tenuous existence in receding African Game Reserves.

And bacteria may one day wipe us all out.