Total: 64
Singularity
Debates: 11
Singularity
-->
@Mopac

I already demonstrated how everyone has performed the necessary experimentation to be able to see that God exists. Namely that existence itself is proof that there is an existence as it truly is.

I am starting to think you possibly have a mental illness. I am not trying to insult you, but you honestly have the signs of something close to schizophrenia.  If you go to a mental health professional, they can probably help you. Right now it is just the early signs from what I have seen here. You don't seem like you are hallucinating or psychotic, but you do have delusions, and are almost. at the word salad stage. 

For example you think that reality necessitates a god. I have seen the ontological argument that kinda uses that as a premise, which is reasonable, but you aren't even stating that. You are claiming that it is obvious and the ontological argument is not obvious, so it is not a reference to that. Basically saying reality necessitates a god is no different than saying the fact I am holding a coffee in my hand means there is a god. While the reality is I am holding a coffee, it is nonsense to say that holding one is proof there is a god.

The existence of God is a given. To say, "The Ultimate Reality doesn't exist" is a self defeating and untenable position. In fact, it is such a stupid position that the scripture rightly says, "Only a fool says in their heart their is no God.".

Very silly statement. It is saying that reality or as you call it ultimate reality is proof there is a god, but we have already establish that you have failed to provide a link between reality existing (an obvious fact) and there being a God. 

Using Terms like "The Truth" that mean "honest statement" is not helping. It may be handy to keep a dictionary close so you can know the definition of these terms.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Singularity
Yeah, the Soviet Union used to lock us up and torture us under the pretense of mental illness.

And you calling me crazy is another way of saying you have nothing to learn from me.

The truth is, if you deny Ultimate Reality, you are crazy. Or you don't understand what those words mean.

And since you are accusing me of mental illness, I have lost interest in talking to you for the time being.

Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Mopac
Having a mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of. We all have our problems, and it is not saying I have nothing to learn from you. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Singularity
Millions of my people were tortured and killed by psychaitric institutions under the pretext that religion is mental illness.

You don't understand me, so you call me mentally ill.

If you understood me, you'd realize that my position is the sanest position to have. The Ultimate Reality is my God. Not television videogames, sex, food, or any created thing. To me, self professed atheists who deny the gods that obviously rule their lives are the crazy ones, and you will find plenty of them here.

They are in error, and if yiu pay attention they only say what they think is convincing  in the moment, the truth of the matter has very little to do with their thought process.

Niholism in the truest sense is denial of Absolute Truth. Atheism is just that. It is nihilism, and it is stupid.

Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Mopac
Not all or even most religious people are mentally I'll, and it honestly isn't an insult to try and help somebody. 

Also you don't have to have a bunch of vices to be atheist. If Christianity helped you overcome some vices, it has likely benefited you, and you are unlikely to lose your faith with treatment, though treatment will help your symptoms 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Singularity
I don't respect your evaluation. You are simply arrogant.
Deuces

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Singularity
Soon I will give advice on what to do in terms of activism and even provide you with solid career advice to help me end aging.

How's that now?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
Christianity is a myth based hypothesis.

And Death is the off switch.

And Death is the easy bit.

It's all our stored data that is the glitch and in the end Christianity won't really help with our acquired fear of non-existence.

Dementia is a good natural coping strategy.

It is not a myth based hypothesis. It is a simple recognition that The Truth is eternal, and so in becoming living icons of The Truth, we identify with The Truth itself.

If we truly are worshipping God in Spirit and in Truth, it is a living faith, a life of repentance. To abide in The Truth is to walk in The Way. To walk in The Way is to find True Life.

The Truth is what saves everything. 
Is there any room for fear of death? No, quite the contrary. It is the embrace of death that truly gives us life. Bodily death is an inevitability, and making peace with that is making peace with God, because God is THE TRUTH. Our faith is not about deluding ourselves, it is about purofying ourselves of delusion.

But you don't really jnow our faith, you simply have a caricature of it in your head. Our faith is expressed in mysteries, parables, allegories, types and shadows. Why do we do this? Because as I have conclusively proven by my presence on this forum, people won't believe you if you speak directly. And so the mysteries of God have been cut off from those who lack charoty and humility. Instead, they will be exposed as fools for denying truth itself in mocking what they don't understand.

We know what we are doing, and we know we will be hated without cause for it. The world is wicked, and that is why it cannot receive The Truth. Though seeing, the world is blind. Though hearing, the world is deaf. Always studying and learning, but never coming to knowledge of The Truth.

It is a waste of time trying to convince someone who is enlightened to the truth of Orthodox Christianity that their religion is false, and history has shown that not only are we willing to die and endure cruel torments, but we do so non-violently and while forgiving our tormentors.

Realizing this, what else is there to do?

You will have to kill us all, because we will never repent, and the church has endured all of these things before. You think we are strangers to the pagans and godless trying to educate our faith away? It has been going on for thousands of years.

There will always be a remnant, because The Eternal Way cannot be eradicated. Even if you managed to kill all Christians, burn all our books, and erase all memory of us, The Eternal Way would be rediscovered. You know why?

Because our religion is true science.

disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
But it was Christ who said, "Blessed are the pure in heart, they will see God."
No it wasn't.

Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Once I clear my debate obligations I will lay it out in another sub forum. If you want I can tag you in it
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Is there any room for fear of death? No, quite the contrary. It is the embrace of death that truly gives us life. Bodily death is an inevitability, and making peace with that is making peace with God, because God is THE TRUTH. Our faith is not about deluding ourselves, it is about purofying ourselves of delusion.
Your religion is nothing but deluding yourselves, you even confirm it by mentioning "bodily death" when there is no other kind of death. You delude yourself because of your abject fear of death.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Singularity
Dementia is a form of natural physiological decline, that is specific to the brain.

A disease if you like, that has the effect of diminishing memory.

No memory, no fear.

Coping strategy.

Ooops, click, death, gone.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Singularity
If you want I can tag you in it

Sure, please do. Take your time too... I still have a decade or two to go before my midlife crisis starts hitting lol.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Singularity
Now that I am a little less miffed...

When I say "The Truth", I am not talking about factual statements. I am not talking about a statement at all (Maybe The Word of God, which is The Truth). I am talking about what Merriam-Webster defines...

"capitalized : a transcendent fundamental or spiritual reality"

Just as when I say God, I am refering to what Merriam-Webster defines as...

"capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality"

If you want to know the connection, since the very beginning The Apostolic Church has understood that God is The Truth, Reality in the truest sense.

And if you accept this, our spirituality makes sense because it is all about purifying the nous in order to both discern and walk in The Way of Truth.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
since the very beginning The Apostolic Church has understood that God is The Truth
The very beginning was 14billion years ago, your church is less than 2000yrs old, so you are telling lies.

7 days later

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Singularity
The death people fear is the one we all know. Christianity doesn't save anyone from the death they fear. We all still die.

Christianity requires the Christian to die. Anyone looking to avoid death would better look elsewhere.

Christianity says God will hold Christians more responsible for sin, and judge them more severely. Anyone looking to avoid death would better look elsewhere.

Christianity calls all "works" by man, vanity. And says works cannot save us from death. Anyone looking to avoid death by being immortalized through "works" would better look elsewhere.

Christianity values age, and likens gray hair to a crown. It says there is no fountain of youth, but Jesus is the fountain of which its drinkers never die. Christianity is not your best shot if you wish to stay young.

Given all this, how you can call Christianity a cope is a mystery. Christianity is actually for mature, strong, people who are ready to face reality and consequences without blinking. We are Christians because we stopped "coping".
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ethang5
Right on
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@ethang5
The death people fear is the one we all know. Christianity doesn't save anyone from the death they fear. We all still die.

People don't fear the experience of death, if they claim to it is a cope. I think what they really feat is the seizing to exist, this is why they create religion to ease that existential anxiety. The only problem with this is that now we have paths forward to solve the thing we all fear and develop copes for such as religion or trying to achieve immortality through reproduction or by becoming legends. We can work on the problem instead of taking a defeatist attitude that we need to create fictions to ease our anxiety. 

The problem with these copes is that it distracts people from actually working on the problem, and they continue to use self deception and other avoidance strategies such as convincing themselves God is real and not only real but cares about us. If God is real, you are nothing more than an ant, and he will allow you to slip into oblivion 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Singularity
I think you truly do have it backwards.

"All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field:
The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the LORD bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass.
The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever."

The Word of God is The Truth.

What that means is that all of your efforts to achieve immortality are vain, you will die. You cannot save yourself. The Truth is what lives on. The Truth is immortal. The Truth existed before anything created, and everything exists only by and through The Truth. The Truth is existence itself.

The salvation we preach is The Word of God.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
But it was Christ who said, "Blessed are the pure in heart, they will see God."
No he didn't. Now prove it.

Singularity
Singularity
I don't think my quest for immortality is vain, just that it is most likely vain.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Singularity
People don't fear the experience of death, if they claim to it is a cope.
What is the "experience of death"? And how is it different from ceasing to exist?

I think what they really feat is the seizing to exist, this is why they create religion to ease that existential anxiety.
Well, if you're guessing at what people fear, then go ahead. I have no problem with your personal opinion.

When you do want logical facts though, I'm your guy.
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@ethang5
If you didn't fear death, you would be dead and certainly not using religion as a coping mechanism. The only people unafraid of death are martyrs, and usually they lie to themselves about an after life as well.
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@RationalMadman
I have no ideal how your name became a tag on this. Sorry hun.

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Singularity
I am in your subconscious mind ;)
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Singularity
I am in your subconscious mind ;)
disgusted
disgusted
What is the reason for religion if not to pacify the adherent's fear of death. They even claim two types of death in order that their fear can be pacified.
They never discuss death, they discuss the fantasy that they wish death to be.
When you die you don't even know you are dead.
Singularity
Singularity
I think the claim is that it isn't a cope because God is real, but that is silly for a few reasons. One reason is that, you can still be using it as a cope if God is real, and if God is real there is no reason for him to leave a holy book. Especially one with so much ambiguity as to what he means. 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Singularity
If you didn't fear death, you would be dead and certainly not using religion as a coping mechanism.
I am neither dead or using religion as a coping mechanism.

But you're contradicting yourself. You said people did not fear death, but feared nonexistence. My contention is not that people do not fear death, but that Christianity is not a coping system against the fear of death. It doesn't save us from dying.

The only people unafraid of death are martyrs, and usually they lie to themselves about an after life as well.
Illogical. Martyrs are only martyrs AFTER dying, not while alive. Most people are afraid of the pain that usually comes with dying, not death itself.

I've seen several people die, only a few of them showed fear at the prospect. But I don't care whose afraid and whose isn't, my only point is that Christianity cannot be a coping mechanism against death because Christians still die like everyone else.

You're basically still telling me your personal opinions. They are illogical, but that is allowed with opinions.

I remain here if you should ever start talking about facts and reality. Thanks.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Singularity
If you didn't fear death, you would be dead and certainly not using religion as a coping mechanism.

Why is it the people that make this idiotic claim aren't aware everyone knows they are going to DIE! no one can get around a physical death that has nothing to do with spirituality and the reality of it. 
The Christian life is a challenge as are many spiritual paths (considering you've actually read anything at all in the NT and its calling) not a free ride or some coping mechanism, that's just another one of your presumptuous claims and why it is difficult to carry any intelligent discussion or debate with you at all.
It's a path of selflessness, sacrifice, self examination, servitude, passion for God and facing realty as it really is. It's not always fun, not always what one wants to do and live like, it's certainly not easy being mocked by trolls like you and a few others here because of it. 
The more I apply it to myself the more I realize how beautiful it is, it is the pealing away of delusions, carnality, selfish behavior, hardened heart, anger and all the little things your fellow man carries on his shoulder through life. 
Perhaps stop being so damn presumptuous and start asking people instead of telling them why they believe and what they believe for. Otherwise you will just remain ignorant and lost in the dark all because you can't help yourself from being impertinent.