-->
@bmdrocks21
You asked about a draft. I am saying a draft won't occur
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Vader
I am asking why the draft is relevant at all. The fact is, there is a large possibility of going to war, whether or not it is WWIII doesn't matter.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@bmdrocks21
I am saying there won't be a draft, in respond to the people who think there will be

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Vader
Who thinks we will need a draft?

Vader
Vader
-->
@bmdrocks21
Memes and twitter and liberals making memes
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Vader
I see....
Infernoo
Debates: 0
Infernoo
-->
@Vader
This is a distraction from the impeachment. Nothing more.  
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Infernoo
This is a distraction from the impeachment. Nothing more.  
what impeachment? lol
that sank quicker than a lead balloon, sure they are trying to keep it alive by not sending it to the senate, but they are about to pull the life support plug on it, R.I.P.
if you think it's something other than what it is I'd lean more towards a campaign promise kept kind of thing.  I like a good conspiracy but I don't think this is one of them.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
if you think it's something other than what it is I'd lean more towards a campaign promise kept kind of thing.  I like a good conspiracy but I don't think this is one of them.
You think it is a coincidence that trump chose the moment he is impeached to launch an act of war against Iran?

Vader
Vader
-->
@HistoryBuff
This tension has been building before his impeachment shenanigans even played a part. It had nothing to do with this
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@HistoryBuff
You think it is a coincidence that trump chose the moment he is impeached to launch an act of war against Iran?
Do you think it was a coincidence that they killed a U.S. citizen and he did what he said he would if that happened?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Vader
we must have more patience for those afflicted with T.D.S.  please show more compassion and thoughtfulness for these sufferers, T.D.S. is for realz.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I have heard weed is the only cure for TDS.... or at least I think that’s why they all smoke it

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@bmdrocks21
that would explain the strong push for legalization because the taxes they actually get from what they thought they would ended up be very low just ask Kommyfornia.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Can anyone with a seriously low IQ join your wingnut faction or do you have to be totally brain dead?
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Vader
Trump met with the Saudi Arabian leader today
Who's that?

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
You think it is a coincidence that Trump chose the moment he is impeached to launch an act of war against Iran?

1) He isn't technically impeached yet since Pelosi hasn't passed the articles on. Articles can still die in committee if she holds them past the next Congress.

2) Do you think it is a coincidence Iran choose the moment Trump was impeached to launch an act of war on the USA by killing an American contractor and orchestrating an attack on an Embassy on American soil?
Vader
Vader
-->
@disgusted
Salman. Why do you ask? Do you need me to tell you because you don't know

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@Username
Let me tell you a little secret:

My over-the-top initial response to the situation aside, the killing of Soleimani was not disproportionate. He's responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Americans, yes. But even that's not the point. Even if Soleimani wasn't, killing him still would've been the right call.

The most immediate objection is that it "doesn't feel" proportionate. One American contractor was killed, big whoop. The lives of dozens of embassy staff members were endangered by an attempted storming. Big whoop. We assassinated a top Iranian government official in response to a situation that we "didn't feel" warranted it.

This actually reflects a failing of the general public. We've grown numb to the killings of Americans because it happens all the time. If not abroad, then at home. We simply don't have the "emotional energy" to register a response every time something happens. And that's understandable.
But this is also a dangerous situation to be in, because what's really happening is we're being conditioned to accept a world that's less safe for Americans, which in turn invites more violence against Americans.
The only way to prevent this is for our government to "get mad" for us. Now, government officials on all levels are like us in that they're also quite capable of growing numb to American deaths.

The solution is to employ a criterion which has the de facto effect of maintaining a spirit of wrathful vindicativeness by the nation even if nobody actually feels anger anymore. This comes in the form of rules that we have to retaliate harshly. A government that fails to do this has failed to protect its citizens.

Or, at least, that's one way of looking at it. Other governments are, of course, as nationalistic as ours is, and so they may share our intention to retaliate for slights against them. In addition, the instinct of any government is to reject the notion that their actions caused them or their citizens to deserve to undergo harm.
So it can quickly become a tit-for-tat. That's why the Obama Administration tried to avoid the retaliation I'm talking about here. For the past couple of days it looked like we were stuck in a "cycle" of this nature with Iran, seemingly proving Trump's detractors right. However, the fact that Iran ended the cycle of mutual retaliation with a non-deadly missile strike intended only to save face without inciting further retaliation has thrown this "proving wrong" into question. It seems, so far at least, that Trump's gambit has in fact paid off.
Username
Debates: 9
Username
-->
@Swagnarok
You make some good points. 

It's concerning how close we got to war. Sure, we may not be going to war, but like you said, the killing was a gambit. Whether or whether not it was successful, we destroyed what was essentially a living Iranian hero and braced ourselves for a potentially severe retaliation, and got lucky that it didn't happen. Any other nationalistic nation could've acted differently. 

Whether the gambit works or whether it doesn't is irrelevant - it still doesn't make it a good decision. Me betting all my money in poker with a wife and kids might give me double my money and a better life for them, but it would still be a terrible decision to bet that money. 

Vader
Vader
-->
@Username
It's not like gambling at all. It's like a fight in a liberal school

Kid punches you decently in the face 6x times and you don't do anything. 1x it was a bit too hard. Then you give him a nice punch hard in the face that gives him a bruise. You may get in trouble or start a brawl that could lead to you getting in trouble, or you wont. Trump swang hard and Iran backed down by missing American troops and not targetting them.

Vader
Vader
And again, I am very anti war, but Anti Iran. He was a Hezzbollah and a threat to the world
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Username
All progress involves some risk. If it were left to the naysayers, we would still be in the stone ages.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Username
Whether the gambit works or whether it doesn't is irrelevant - it still doesn't make it a good decision. Me betting all my money in poker with a wife and kids might give me double my money and a better life for them, but it would still be a terrible decision to bet that money. 

Difference here is that we have the straight flush hand while they have an Ace High. They know they can’t win if they continue to bet so they’re forced to cut their losses.
Username
Username
-->
@Vader
Kid punches you decently in the face 6x times and you don't do anything. 1x it was a bit too hard. Then you give him a nice punch hard in the face that gives him a bruise. You may get in trouble or start a brawl that could lead to you getting in trouble, or you wont. Trump swang hard and Iran backed down by missing American troops and not targetting them.

Would you still punch that kid if you risked the lives of 10s of thousands of people when you punched him?

Username
Username
-->
@Greyparrot
That's absurd. Do you know what a cost-benefit analysis is?

Username
Username
-->
@ILikePie5
Difference here is that we have the straight flush hand while they have an Ace High. They know they can’t win if they continue to bet so they’re forced to cut their losses.

But it's not so simple. Iran has an obligation both to avoid an all out war with the U.S. and to look good and unafraid for it's citizens. This puts them in a near impossible situation in which they must retaliate to look good but not retaliate too hard where they would trigger a war. Iran intentionally tried not to kill any Americans when it bombed the base but they got lucky in that respect; imagine if they had tried something different than what they did or they accidentally killed some Americans in the process; things would've escalated further. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Username
Sure, but you include some risk in that cost.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Username
The problem is people who don't take a lot of risks are typically doing a bad job of cost-benefit, so they listen to the naysayers and rarely do anything.

Take California for example. People in charge have plenty of options on the table for fixing the problems there, but they overpredict the risks involved in implementing them, so nothing gets implemented except for the super safe solutions with little progress.

Most rich people are way way better at cost-benefit analysis than the average Joe, which is why the average Joe takes a salary instead of taking out a small business loan to pursue a dream.