Iran launches missles at U.S. bases in Iraq

Author: Username

Total: 90
Username
Debates: 9
Username
-->
@Greyparrot
Yes it is whataboutism. Your statement has nothing to do with the justification of Trump's actions. You spoke on Obama to change the focus.

Lol what is it with the right and their obsession with the left "appearing virtuous", "virtue signaling", etc lol.  
disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
You must be referencing the GOP and Obama? hahahahahaha
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Username
That is NOT whataboutism. 

It's really sad how people want to change the very meaning of words simply to justify their beliefs.

Whataboutism is justifying a behavior by pointing to another person that did the exact same thing, using hypocrisy to somehow make a point.
From the google definition, it's a tactic used by totalitarian regimes to justify their behavior by pointing at the same or similar behavior of their enemies.

For example, look at how Discipulous used a whataboutism in this thread to justify the left trashing the office of the presidency by showing an instance where the right trashed the presidency.
It's an appeal to justify bad behavior and it just does not work in a rational dialogue. Both parties can be wrong. It's not a justification.

Whataboutism totally does not apply to Trump in this case, since Obama did not do anything of the sort of what Trump did, so there is no attempt to use Obama's actions to justify Trump's.

To explain the circumstances of a situation by bringing up a prior president's policies is completely with merit on its own. To dismiss the discussion on the basis of "whataboutism" is exactly the same as charging a person with "racism." It's a baseless charge using a word devoid of its original meaning and used to shoot the messenger so you don't have to deal with the message.

That kind of insane partisan censorship is what is killing rational discourse today. These discussions should not be made taboo just because it makes one feel bad to think about it.
Username
Username
-->
@Greyparrot
You haven't sourced your definition, you are making a semantical argument,  and it is frankly wrong. This is the definition of whataboutism. All it functionally is changing the subject of a debate with a counteraccusation. We were talking about whether Trump's killing of Soleimani was justified. You brought up Obama's failed red line policy to explain why Iran is acting the way it is in the first place, but THIS DOES NOT JUSTIFY THE KILLING. This only explains the context. I can see no other reason for you to bring up Obama (which was completely irrelevant) than sheer whataboutism. 

That kind of insane partisan censorship is what is killing rational discourse today. These discussions should not be made taboo just because it makes one feel bad to think about it.
I am not censoring you, nor am I making your discussions taboo because I feel bad thinking about it. Enough of this silly right wing freeze peach paranoia. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Username
I really don't know what nerve I hit with you, But I wasn't accusing Obama of anything you are describing. I am explaining how a policy of establishing red lines but not following through with them contributed to the circumstances where a civilian contractor was killed and an Embassy was attacked.

If Trump were to follow the same exact policy, we would expect more of the same.
disgusted
disgusted
pollywanna thinks that scrump has won the war on terrorism and no further attacks on americans will happen.
Oh dear, propaganda works on some. redline tada.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@disgusted
How did you win the war on the Maori?
disgusted
disgusted
Can anyone translate what polly is screeching about?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
here's some irony for ya, the left screams about "precedence" and how Trump ignores or breaks it.  Now, what "precedence" has been set with regards to foreign affairs?  hmmm I wonder why we are in this position now.  Setting a tone, precedence etc is not whatabout, as you have explained, but not sure they have understood, yet.

Username
Username
-->
@Greyparrot
I don't know what you're talking about tbh. 

I said this responding to you:

Trump is literally the reason we are escalating towards war right now. Orangemanbad is a strawman of what is really an incredibly dangerous mistake made by our president. 
and then you said this responding to me: 

We wouldn't even be in this situation if Obama didn't make such a joke of redlining. Countries think we are toothless and can do whatever they want to us, including killing civilian contractors and attacking our embassies.
It is completely obvious that you are trying to shift the blame for a terrible decision by Trump onto Obama. I called you on that for whataboutism. This isn't complicated.

But I wasn't accusing Obama of anything you are describing. I am explaining how a policy of establishing red lines but not following through with them contributed to the circumstances where a civilian contractor was killed and an Embassy was attacked.
Okay. Doesn't absolve Trump of his responsibility for these recent events. 

If Trump were to follow the same exact policy, we would expect more of the same.
You're falsely presenting two extremes as the only options. It's not like you either set pointless red lines or you kill Soleimani. Like I sourced above, Trump literally picked Soleimani's killing because it was the most severe possible option, implying that there were different options out there. Off the top of my head, you could arm the embassy, organize a diplomatic meeting with Iran, etc. 

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@bmdrocks21
That sounds really dumb to incur the wrath of three nations instead of one.

We did that.  Saudi Arabia funded the people that did 9/11 and we blame Iraq for it.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Alec
Looks like Iran just lost 2 potential sympathizers by killing 176 Ukranian and Canadian civilians with a missile.
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Greyparrot
Have evidence?  I didn't hear about that.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Alec
Yah. Anti Aircraft battery in Tehran accidentally opened up on a 737. Took off from Tehran airport and someone let a missile fly.

Yep, that's real people dead there.

Iran claims technical difficulties and won't release the BlackBox.

Nevertrumpers claim the USA snuck an anti-aircraft missile into Tehran and then forced Iran to claim it as an electrical malfunction...
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Alec
I don’t know about them funding 9/11, but I do know that (this could be slightly off) 11 out of the 15 hijackers were Saudi nationals.
Singularity
Debates: 11
Singularity
Soleimani is reported to have killed over 500 American citizens. Killing one Iranian general in response to 500 American deaths, seems like more than a fair trade, and he was alleged to be planning more American deaths. Is the solution of those who oppose killing him, that America should just let it's citizens be killed and do nothing to seek justice on their behalf? 
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
For what its worth, Secretary of State was apparently the one who pushed hard for the drone strike on the Iranian General, rather then this being something driven by Trump himself. Seeing as how even GOP Senators are inclined towards war-powers resolutions to limit Presidential ability to launch an attack, Pompeo might be in very hot water right now since the supposed 'tough on terror' act has backfired right into Trump in the form of Congress considering limiting presidential power 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Imabench
Congress should have limited that power after W. Bush. Anyway. That's a win for the country.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Speedrace
@PressF4Respect
Post 29 by me is a reply to a post that has since been deleted. Because of this post 29 by me no longer makes any sense and makes me look like a crazy person. Please remove post 29 for this reason Mr. Forum mod dude.

Obviously if one of you look at post 29 and it is not by me then the other of you already got to it so don't delete it in that case. Oh, feel free to remove this post after post 29 by me is removed thanks.
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I gotchu lol

Not sure if Press can delete posts yet

Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Done
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Speedrace
Thanks bud
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids in a mystery van.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Greyparrot
those meddling kids in a mystery van.

Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
That was initially a very confusing report... Sorry whomever it was deleted whatever it was.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
War is never the solution, but I hate how people are defending a terorrist. Hezzbollah Solemani was evil and commit acts against UN by crossing into the Iraqi border as well
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Barney
That was initially a very confusing report

Figured it might be, that is why I included the explanation lol.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
AND THEY MISSED LOL IRAN SUCKS
Username
Username
-->
@Dr.Franklin
AND THEY MISSED LOL IRAN SUCKS
Youre aware this was intentional right
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Username
yeah ok, NOPE they shot down a plane and civilians dead at the terrorists funeral, Iran cant fight