Test Your Morality

Author: ethang5

Total: 113
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ethang5
I don't know what to say. What difference does Bob's feeling have to do with Alex's morality?

What difference would changing the scenario make?

According to you it makes a difference. I asked two questions:

1) If Alex believes Bob is going to be hurt by this is it immoral?

You answered yes (post 73).

2) If Alex believes Bob is not hurt by this is it immoral?

You answered no (post 80).

You may suspect Bob is scared, but so what? Will you haul Alex in on your suspicion?

Clear non-sequitor. We are talking about morality not legality. Please respond to the above.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
According to you it makes a difference.
Yes, How Alex feels makes a difference to Alex's moral act, not how Bob feels.

I asked two questions:
And in both questions you asked how Alex believes. I answered consistently and correctly. You did not ask about Bob.

Clear non-sequitor.
How? You said you assumed Bob was afraid from my scenario

We are talking about morality not legality.
Yes. And still Bob's feelings and your suspicions make no difference to the morality of Alex's action.

Please respond to the above.
I just did.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ethang5
By claiming it is intent you are technically right but not getting to the core of the issue. What is it about the intent that affects the morality of an action? The answer is obvious.

In scenario one Alex intends to do something they believe will harm Bob. This is immoral according to you. Intent to harm = immoral. Your words not mine.

In scenario two Alex intends to do something they believe will not harm Bob. This is not immoral according to you. No intent to harm = not immoral. Your words not mine.

The underlined portion of the two above segments is the only difference between the two scenarios and therefore the only possible reason for you giving a different judgement to each scenario.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
By claiming it is intent you are technically right but not getting to the core of the issue.
I decide what is core to my issue.

What is it about the intent that affects the morality of an action? The answer is obvious.
Intent can be malicious. It matters not to whom it is aimed. So as we will shortly see, it was obvious, but just not obvious to you.

In scenario one Alex intends to do something they believe will harm Bob. This is immoral according to you. Intent to harm = immoral. Your words not mine.
I have not disowned my words.

In scenario two Alex intends to do something they believe will not harm Bob. This is not immoral according to you. No intent to harm = not immoral. Your words not mine.
So? And not only intent, but relationship and authority too. Intent alone is not enough to determine morality.

The underlined portion of the two above segments is the only difference between the two scenarios and therefore the only possible reason for you giving a different judgement to each scenario.

Not quite correct. It is the only reason given, but not the only possible reason.

Further, you make a logical error, two errors in fact. First, Bob can be harmed without him knowing he has been harmed.

Second, and this is key, the underlined portions of your segments above refer to the exact same thing, the intent of Alex, NOT the feelings of Bob.

The core issue is the intent of Alex. The feelings of Bob do not matter to the determination of the morality of Alex's action, as evidenced by the fact that Alex's action could be immoral even if Bob feels no offense. The core issue here is the action of Alex.

I fail to see what you're arguing against.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ethang5
First, Bob can be harmed without him knowing he has been harmed.

I see nothing in any of my posts that would explain why you seem to think I would disagree with this statement.

Intent can be malicious.

Yes, in other words it is possible to intend to cause harm. And it is generally considered immoral to act upon such intentions, though most agree that just wanting to hurt someone is not immoral if said desire is not acted upon.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I see nothing in any of my posts that would explain why you seem to think I would disagree with this statement.
I did.

And it is generally considered immoral to act upon such intentions...
Which explains my "yes" to your question about the morality of Alex's act.

...though most agree that just wanting to hurt someone is not immoral if said desire is not acted upon.
I don't believe that most people think that way. I know Christians don't. Intent alone can be immoral.

But it seems as if we actually agree on what we have been arguing about, and have run out of things to disagree about.

Cheers.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ethang5
I don't believe that most people think that way. I know Christians don't.

The Bible does say that it is immoral to want things that are not yours for example but I doubt most people would actually agree with that (yes I am aware that most people are Christians in our part of the world).
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
The Bible does say that it is immoral to want things that are not yours for example...
Wanting something though is different from having malicious intent.

...but I doubt most people would actually agree with that (yes I am aware that most people are Christians in our part of the world).
OK. We just disagree.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Exactly.
Huh? "Exactly" what?

But the human moralist will usually choose to differentiate, solely on the grounds of the human ability to differentiate.
All humans are moralist. 

Humans are forced to diffferrentiate because of our nervous system smell{ olfactory }, Vision { EMRaditation }, tactile { touch }, etc.

SPACE:

3} macro-infinite non-occupied,

2} occupied.

These two are the at the top of my Cosmic Trinity that differrentiation catagories.  When you want to expand your mind, soul etc, please share any rational, logical common sense that adds to or invalidates my comments as presented.

The truth exists for those who seek it. Few seek and and even fewer accept is when presented with it.

This occurs for two primary reasons.

1} preconditioning,

2} ego.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
Wherein lies the authority of the moral agent?
Each individual has the authority to protect themselves, to protect their family, and to protect their territory as they see fit.

This includes forming alliances with their neighbors (community consensus).

I would suggest that murder maybe illegal, but is not necessarily wrong.
"Murder" (unjustified killing) is in the eye of the beholder (perhaps justified in the view of some people under some circumstances and perhaps unjustified in the view of other people under either similar or dissimilar circumstances).
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@ethang5
No. I actually meant semantic ploy, but I didn't want you to feel insulted.
No need to concern yourself with my feelings. Your responses have remained pertinent to our discussion; therefore, I find no particular reason to feel insulted even if you're characterizing one of my responses as a "semantic ploy."

Neither. Its a false dichotomy. Semitic ploys are that way.
Presenting a dichotomy does not in and of itself make it false. We've established two things:
  1. They partook in a local custom where they took off their tops.
  2. They were not forced to participate.
You argued that their participation went against their values because they wouldn't have done the same in the states. But this does not convey going against their own values; it only demonstrates that their comfort with certain actions depends on the environment and/or circumstance. Actions and decisions also reflect values, so their participation either reflected their values or was brought about through coercion. You've already dismissed the latter.

That is not a "semantic ploy." It's deduction.

The law is always objective.
How is (moral) law objective? Please explain.

Maximization of profit. Minimization of intolerance. Sex. Racism.
Give me examples of moral frameworks based on profit maximization, minimization of intolerance, sex, and racism.

No. I just  think I haven't made you understand what I mean by moral authority.
So what do you mean by moral authority?

Same as the dictionary.
The dictionary has a few definitions. Perhaps you could narrow it down for me? Are we talking about the philosophical monism?

True. But you have not yet opposed my argument.
What is that argument?

I said moral authority justifies the use of power. It is not the of power.
How is that any different from my description:

You argue that moral authority is the justification to exercise power.
?

No. If I have to define reality for you our communication ships have already passed each other by.
I wouldn't have demanded a definition if I weren't earnest. Define reality.

Letting the police shoot you when you're too weak to kill yourself. Police assisted suicide in your lexicon.
How does one "let" the police shoot them? Can targets revise protocol?

I don't know of a single DA in any country who agrees with you.
You said you're weren't arguing from a legal context, so: (1) what relevance does the judgement of a D.A. bear, and (2) doesn't placing the referendum on a D.A.'s agreement undermine the premise of your contention--that is the counterargument against the one you allege I'm making?

You.

Consensus is irrelevant to moral authority.
Once again, where did I make this argument? Quote me verbatim.

It is not a Non sequitur. And the comment is true.
It is a non sequitur, and I'm not scrutinizing the veracity of your statement. I'm informing you that I did not make it.

One that exists outside the mind of man.
That's epistemologically insignificant.

Yes. You are contradicting yourself. Most people do not readily see their internal contradictions.
I have no problem seeing contradiction; I do not readily see unsubstantiated claims of contradiction.

No, but if I agreed with you I would be.
How is that?

That has not been my experience.
Your experience is irrelevant; logic is logic; reason is reason; all arguments are logical; all arguments are rational. The scrutiny is in its relevance and consistency within the context of reason and logic.

Yes. Impotence is impotence, even when the reasons for the impotence differ.
Then "communism" is irrelevant.

Moral behavior not based on personal tastes or subjective opinions.
How have you formulated such a framework?

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
Your experience is irrelevant; logic is logic; reason is reason; all arguments are logical; all arguments are rational. The scrutiny is in its relevance and consistency within the context of reason and logic. 

I usually admire the veracity of your argument, but I think (in so much as I am, I think)  that you have somewhat over egged the custard here.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Athias
I agree with Zed on his thoughts about your custard egging. While I disagree with his conclusions on the existence of objective morality, at least he is consistent with the implications of his conclusions.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, will try to get to it by tomorrow.

Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
I usually admire the veracity of your argument, but I think (in so much as I am, I think)  that you have somewhat over egged the custard here.
You're presuming that I'm using the descriptions colloquially, which is just an inconsistency in lexicon; all arguments are fundamentally logical and rational because they consist of a logical structure, i.e. premises informing conclusions. However having a logical structure doesn't make an argument logically "sound" or "consistent." Case in point:

Using the Modus Tollens, let's construct a logical argument:

If God existed, then theists would have proven his existence;
Theists haven't proven his existence;
Therefore God does not exist.

This is logical and rational. But it is not sound or consistent because its premise and conclusion inform a fallacy (argument from ignorance.)

Rational simply means "of reason" so as long as any agent can discriminate information or data, as you often put it, and incorporate it into an expression. usually described as a perspective, then it's fundamentally "rational." Sound, consistent, plausible are qualifiers.

Athias
Athias
-->
@ethang5
I agree with Zed on his thoughts about your custard egging. While I disagree with his conclusions on the existence of objective morality, at least he is consistent with the implications of his conclusions.
One has nothing to do with the other. I believe zedvictor's response was in reference to my description of all arguments as logical and rational and the metric for determining relevance and consistency.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, will try to get to it by tomorrow.
No worries. Post at your leisure.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
If God existed etc.
Doesn't "if" negate everything.

Isn't "if" an abstract proposition.

Is "if" logical or rational?

And  therefore, did you construct a logical argument?
Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
Doesn't "if" negate everything.
No.

Isn't "if" an abstract proposition.
"If" precedes a condition. Logic is abstract, so it would follow that any "if statement" would be abstract as well.

Is "if" logical or rational?
Yes. It's often used in conditional and biconditional arguments.

And  therefore, did you construct a logical argument?
Yes. The structure of the Modus Tollens is logically valid, while the premise and conclusion are logically unsound.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
I would disagree,

As you apply it, If is a functional concept and therefore an abstract idea. Both logical/rational or neither in terms of function.

Given that the functionality of data is as far as we are able to know, though the validity of the data is indeterminate as far as we are able to know.

If God existed, then theists or anyone might of proven it's existence.

No one has either proven or disproven Gods existence.

Therefore as far as we are able to know, God might or might not exist.

Modus Tollens is only applicable if used within it's prescribed parameters.
Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
I would disagree,

As you apply it, If is a functional concept and therefore an abstract idea.
Once again, logic is abstract. It would follow that logical constructions--i.e. "if, then..." are abstract as well. I don't dispute this.

If God existed, then theists or anyone might of proven it's existence.

No one has either proven or disproven Gods existence.

Therefore as far as we are able to know, God might or might not exist.
This is neither Modus Tollens nor Modus Ponens. It may reflect your beliefs, but it doesn't follow the construction since neither of your premises have been affirmed by your conclusion.

Modus Ponens: if p, then q; q; therefore, p.
Modus Tollens: if p, then q; not q; therefore, not p.

My presenting the construction was to show that any argument can be logical even if its premise and conclusion are inconsistent.

Modus Tollens is only applicable if used within it's prescribed parameters.
This informs my point: your use of "if," here, precedes a condition--i.e. in order for Modus Tollens to apply as you allege, it must be used within its prescribed parameters.

10 days later

ethang5
ethang5
No. I actually meant semantic ploy, but I didn't want you to feel insulted.

No need to concern yourself with my feelings. Your responses have remained pertinent to our discussion; therefore, I find no particular reason to feel insulted even if you're characterizing one of my responses as a "semantic ploy." 
Well, that is what it was.

Neither. Its a false dichotomy. Sematic ploys are that way.

Presenting a dichotomy does not in and of itself make it false. We've established two things:
  1. They partook in a local custom where they took off their tops.
  2. They were not forced to participate.
You argued that their participation went against their values because they wouldn't have done the same in the states. But this does not convey going against their own values; it only demonstrates that their comfort with certain actions depends on the environment and/or circumstance. Actions and decisions also reflect values, so their participation either reflected their values or was brought about through coercion. You've already dismissed the latter.
And therein is the false dichotomy. The former and latter are not the only choices. They were going against their values, but felt that because there was no one there who shared their values, the prohibition was not felt. Like a prude who never would go naked, going naked in the woods when she thinks no one will see her.

That is not a "semantic ploy." It's deduction. 
OK. Call it what you will. A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.

The law is always objective.

How is (moral) law objective? Please explain. 
Objective means, not sourced in, or influenced by, the mind of any man.

Maximization of profit. Minimization of intolerance. Sex. Racism.

Give me examples of moral frameworks based on profit maximization, minimization of intolerance, sex, and racism. 
No. You asked for different standards. I gave them.

No. I just  think I haven't made you understand what I mean by moral authority.

So what do you mean by moral authority?
I've told you. Perhaps you don't want to understand. Perhaps you are not able to understand. But I will not keep repeating simply because you keep asking.

Same as the dictionary.

The dictionary has a few definitions. Perhaps you could narrow it down for me?
Are we talking about the philosophical monism? 
No.

True. But you have not yet opposed my argument.
What is that argument? 

I said moral authority justifies the use of power. It is not the use of power.

How is that any different from my description:

You argue that moral authority is the justification to exercise power.
Moral authority justifies the use of power, the use of power does not justify morality.

No. If I have to define reality for you our communication ships have already passed each other by.

I wouldn't have demanded a definition if I weren't earnest. Define reality.
How earnest you are doesn't matter. Reality is what we must assume is common to the both of us for there to be communication and understanding. If I have to define reality for you that is enough evidence for me that a definition is not needed.

Letting the police shoot you when you're too weak to kill yourself. Police assisted suicide in your lexicon.

How does one "let" the police shoot them? Can targets revise protocol?
By not dropping the gun when told to do so.

You said you're weren't arguing from a legal context, so: (1) what relevance does the judgement of a D.A. bear,
D.A.'s are moral agents who also know the law.

and (2) doesn't placing the referendum on a D.A.'s agreement undermine the premise of your contention--that is the counterargument against the one you allege I'm making?
No.

It is not a Non sequitur. And the comment is true.

It is a non sequitur, and I'm not scrutinizing the veracity of your statement. I'm informing you that I did not make it.
You implied it.

One that exists outside the mind of man.

That's epistemologically insignificant. 
It is the description of the quality "objective". You asked for it.

Yes. You are contradicting yourself. Most people do not readily see their internal contradictions.

I have no problem seeing contradiction; I do not readily see unsubstantiated claims of contradiction. 
Internal contradictions are not readily see in oneself.

No, but if I agreed with you I would be.

How is that?
Agreeing with you would make me wrong.

That has not been my experience.

You're being equivocal with the meaning of logic. It isn't important to my argument.

Yes. Impotence is impotence, even when the reasons for the impotence differ.

Then "communism" is irrelevant.
Ok.

Moral behavior not based on personal tastes or subjective opinions.

How have you formulated such a framework? 
Logic. Morality is objective.
Athias
Athias
-->
@ethang5
And therein is the false dichotomy. The former and latter are not the only choices. They were going against their values, but felt that because there was no one there who shared their values, the prohibition was not felt. Like a prude who never would go naked, going naked in the woods when she thinks no one will see her.
Once again, nothing in your statements inform one's going against one's own values, but instead inform my deduction that they behaved in a manner influenced by their environment like "a prude who never would go naked, going naked in the woods when she thinks no one will see her." Doing something out of the ordinary doesn't necessarily inform going against one's values, especially if it was of their own volition. So yes, that is the dichotomy presented, which is not false in and of itself. Either they did it of their own will and volition, or they were coerced. And if they weren't coerced, then their actions wouldn't have gone against their values.

Objective means, not sourced in, or influenced by, the mind of any man.
I'm not asking you to define "objective." I'm asking you to explain how the law meets your description of "objective."

No. You asked for different standards. I gave them.
And now I request that you give examples. Are there any examples to cite?

Perhaps you don't want to understand.
My "want" is irrelevant.

Perhaps you are not able to understand.
Perhaps.

But I will not keep repeating simply because you keep asking.
You wouldn't have to repeat if you explained. When I ask questions, I seek explanation--otherwise, there would be no need for me to ask.
No.
So then, would "consideration of material possessions and physical comfort as more important than spiritual values" be an apt description?

I said moral authority justifies the use of power. It is not the use of power.

Moral authority justifies the use of power, the use of power does not justify morality.
Where in my description of your description did I suggest any of that which you've just mentioned? Once again, how is my description different from yours:

You argue that moral authority is the justification to exercise power.
?

How earnest you are doesn't matter. Reality is what we must assume is common to the both of us for there to be communication and understanding. If I have to define reality for you that is enough evidence for me that a definition is not needed.
Your second line makes no sense. I'm asking you to define reality in order to establish communication and understanding. So then how is seeking that communication and understanding "evidence" of their not being needed?

Define reality.

By not dropping the gun when told to do so.
How is that "letting" it happen? If not dropping the gun in your example is "defiance" then not dropping one's gun is far from "letting" something happen.

D.A.'s are moral agents who also know the law.
So are many others. You specifically cited a district attorney presumably for reasons concerning their capacity as an agent of the law. You said you weren't discussing this from a legal context, so once again, what relevance does your citation of a district attorney have in this discussion, let alone in a rebuttal against my argument?

No.
Yes, it does undermine your argument. As soon as you set the rubric to notions of "agreement," you undermined your very own contention.

You implied it.
I did not imply it. That was your impression, which is not the same as an implication.

It is the description of the quality "objective". You asked for it.
Yes, I asked for it. And I'm telling you that description is epistemologically insignificant. Because subjects of knowledge require the use of one's mind.

Internal contradictions are not readily see in oneself.
An alleged generality which does not apply to my capacity as a debater.

How is that? Elaborate.

You're being equivocal with the meaning of logic. It isn't important to my argument.
There's nothing equivocal about my description. Confirm it for yourself, if necessary.

Logic. Morality is objective.
And I await your explanation as to how morality whether it be legal, religious, philosophical, etc. meets the description you offered of "objective."

ethang5
ethang5
Once again, nothing in your statements inform one's going against one's own values...
Repetition will not make you right. Morality is between people. If another person "is not there" as in blind, or too young or old, or from an alien society, some people do not feel the moral  prohibitions they would if they were in their societies.

but instead inform my deduction that they behaved in a manner influenced by their environment like "a prude who never would go naked, going naked in the woods when she thinks no one will see her."
Tautology. Everyone always behaves in a manner influenced by their environment. Influenced by environment or not, they went against their personal values by going topless.

So yes, that is the dichotomy presented, which is not false in and of itself.
It is false as it tries to explain a real occurrence. Those were not the only 2 options. You need the options limited so as to float your "deduction" as correct.

Either they did it of their own will and volition, or they were coerced.
No sir. They also could have felt no prohibition against violating their value because they felt away from their culture.

I'm not asking you to define "objective." I'm asking you to explain how the law meets your description of "objective."
Moral law is not sourced in, or affected by, the mind of any man. If you ask again, the answer will be the same.

And now I request that you give examples. Are there any examples to cite?
Plenty. But none are necessary.

My "want" is irrelevant.
Not to your understanding it's not.

Perhaps you are not able to understand.

Perhaps.
I suspect you would not be able to admit this if it were true.

You wouldn't have to repeat if you explained.
I don't have to repeat.

When I ask questions, I seek explanation--otherwise, there would be no need for me to ask.
You either accept the explanation given or don't, but repeating the question hoping for a different explanation will not work with me.

So then, would "consideration of material possessions and physical comfort as more important than spiritual values" be an apt description? 
Apt description of what?

I'm asking you to define reality in order to establish communication and understanding.
Defining reality will not do that. Our realities must be the same for there to be  communication and understanding.

So then how is seeking that communication and understanding "evidence" of their not being needed?
If you are seeking a definition of reality, you are not sane enough to comprehend the definition. Hence, it isn't needed. We both must already inhabit the same reality for there to be communication and understanding.

If not dropping the gun in your example is "defiance" then not dropping one's gun is far from "letting" something happen.
Many a criminal has found out to their regret that this is untrue. And I was not giving an example of defence, but an example of suicide by police. You asked.

You specifically cited a district attorney presumably for reasons concerning their capacity as an agent of the law. 
Their capacity as agents of the law who are also moral agents. It gives them a unique perspective.

You said you weren't discussing this from a legal context,...
I'm not.

what relevance does your citation of a district attorney have in this discussion, let alone in a rebuttal against my argument? 
Professionals trained to distinguish between morality and law, and whose job requires them to be moral, disagree with you.

As soon as you set the rubric to notions of "agreement,"...
I did not. You just thought I did.

I did not imply it. That was your impression, which is not the same as an implication. 
You did imply it. Perhaps you did not intend to. But I can only go by what you do.

I'm telling you that description is epistemologically insignificant. Because subjects of knowledge require the use of one's mind. 
Objective subjects of knowledge exist before they are in ones mind. Objective morality is not sourced in the minds of men, bit can exist on the minds of men.

An alleged generality which does not apply to my capacity as a debater.
Who is judging that capacity? OK.

How is that? Elaborate.
You are wrong. If I agree with you I become wrong too.

There's nothing equivocal about my description. Confirm it for yourself, if necessary. 
Its obvious. You are using "logical" in it's broadest sense. That is not what is generally meant by logic when talking about logical arguments. You're defining  "logical" so broadly, no argument can be illogical.

And I await your explanation as to how morality whether it be legal, religious, philosophical, etc. meets the description you offered of "objective."
I've already told you.
Athias
Athias
-->
@ethang5
Repetition will not make you right.
Never argued that it would.

Morality is between people. If another person "is not there" as in blind, or too young or old, or from an alien society, some people do not feel the moral  prohibitions they would if they were in their societies.
You're arguing a moral relativism, the adoption of which reflects your friends' personal values. It isn't that they went against their own values, they knew certain values could be better expressed in certain environments.

Case in point: If I were to go the the Philippines, and have sex with a 12 year-old girl, would that mean I went against my own values because the age of consent here in the United States, by average, is 16? If I were to subscribe to the moral that having sex with underage girls is wrong, why would that be any different being in Phillipines?

Influenced by environment or not, they went against their personal values by going topless.
You haven't substantiated that they went against their personal values; you've only substantiated that their behavior differed in two moral systems.

It is false as it tries to explain a real occurrence.
That does not make it false.

Those were not the only 2 options.
Based on the information, yes they are.

You need the options limited so as to float your "deduction" as correct.
My deduction is either correct or incorrect; my "need" is irrelevant.

No sir. They also could have felt no prohibition against violating their value because they felt away from their culture.
Once again, you are arguing a moral relativism. Moral relativism doesn't necessarily inform a conflict in values.

Moral law is not sourced in, or affected by, the mind of any man. If you ask again, the answer will be the same.
That is not an explanation. That is a claim. Explain your claim.

Plenty. But none are necessary.
Yes, they are necessary. Please provide a few of these examples.

Not to your understanding it's not.
As the sole authority on my own understanding, my "want" is irrelevant.

I suspect you would not be able to admit this if it were true.
As the sole authority on my ability to make admissions, "perhaps."

I don't have to repeat.
No, only explain. And if you refuse to explain, then what would be point?

You either accept the explanation given or don't, but repeating the question hoping for a different explanation will not work with me.
You haven't offered an explanation. You have for the most part made claims. Making claims is fine; but discussion is stagnant when all there is are claims. I'm not "hoping for a different explanation." I'm seeking an explanation, period.

Apt description of what?
Your use of materialism?

Defining reality will not do that. Our realities must be the same for there to be  communication and understanding.
There are many perspectives of reality; hence, my seeking a definition. Define it or drop the point.

If you are seeking a definition of reality, you are not sane enough to comprehend the definition.
This makes no sense, not to mention, it's an ad hominem.

Many a criminal has found out to their regret that this is untrue. And I was not giving an example of defence, but an example of suicide by police. You asked.
How is risking death the same as suicidal? Replace the officer with an individual who doesn't extend State Authority, would it still be true?

Their capacity as agents of the law who are also moral agents. It gives them a unique perspective.
Perhaps, but that perspective is irrelevant since you yourself claimed that you're not arguing from a legal context.

I'm not.
Yes, you are. The mention of a district attorney as well as the attempt to qualify my argument based on their agreement informs a legal context.

Professionals trained to distinguish between morality and law, and whose job requires them to be moral,
Substantiate how these professionals are trained to distinguish between morality and law; substantiate how their jobs require them to be moral.

disagree with you.
If your argument is that consensus doesn't inform morality then this argument would undermine your contention. Disagreement is irrelevant, remember?

I did not. You just thought I did.
Exhibit A:

But it's definitely not murder.
Exhibit B:

what relevance does your citation of a district attorney have in this discussion, let alone in a rebuttal against my argument? 
Professionals trained to distinguish between morality and law, and whose job requires them to be moral, disagree with you.

You did imply it. Perhaps you did not intend to. But I can only go by what you do.
No, I did not. I won't go back and forth on this.

Objective subjects of knowledge exist before they are in ones mind.
That's insignificant; your capacity to perceive necessitates the rationalizations conceived by your mind. Therefore any knowledge you acquire will be  subjected through the filter of your mind. Hence, it's subjective.

Objective morality is not sourced in the minds of men, bit can exist on the minds of men.
Indulge me: where is objective morality sourced?

Who is judging that capacity?
I am, obviously. Who else would judge it if its an internal "contradiction"?

You are wrong. If I agree with you I become wrong too.
How am I wrong?

Its obvious.
Then why the contention?

You are using "logical" in it's broadest sense. That is not what is generally meant by logic when talking about logical arguments. You're defining  "logical" so broadly, no argument can be illogical.
No, I'm using it in its correct sense. Just because it has a colloquial usage, as I've already described to zedvictor, doesn't mean it's correct. And yes, no argument can be illogical. Arguments--al arguments--are logical.

I've already told you.
Yes, you've already "told" me, but you haven't "explained."

This argument is going nowhere fast. Either explain your claims, or we can move along and have our respective "nice day." If you require explanation as well, point out which of my statements need explanation, and I will accommodate. At this point, this attrition is only contributing to intellectual regress.