What is your favorite argument for the existence of God?

Author: OntologicalSpider

Total: 436
Lunar108
Debates: 0
Lunar108
-->
@OntologicalSpider
that we need a god to exist 
I really admit that this is the strongest argument for the existence of god 
and the weakest one at the same time 
for the moment you ask which god it falls crumbling 

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Why do people always ask theist if they believe in the tooth fairy and Santa. It's a goddamn fact that parents intentionally lie to their children and set up evidence that something exists that doesn't. And it's not exclusive to parents who are theists. An atheist parent will set up the same proofs to their child that Santa or the tooth fairy exist by leaving presents under a tree and money under a goddamn pillow. That is a completely different experience or scenario from someone who believes in divinity. It is one of the most insincere comments and questions posted on this forum.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Athias
I don't "believe in" the tooth fairy--i.e. subscribe to the ideas and values associated with the tooth fairy; I acknowledge the tooth fairy's existence.
Ok let me rephrase for clarity…

Do you believe that there exists a being who goes around here on actual planet earth where the human race resides and replaces children’s teeth left under their pillows with money?
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Why do people always ask theist if they believe in the tooth fairy and Santa.
Because that’s how you test the logic of someone’s argument/position. If the argument that you are presenting in support of a god also works when applied to Santa and/or the tooth fairy then one of the following must be true:

1. You also believe in Santa and/or the tooth fairy

2. Your argument is invalid, or at the very least you don’t actually accept it
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Double_R
Well what exactly do you think I'm leaving around the house and telling my kids the gods left there for him cuz I'd really like to know. 
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Double_R
Do you believe that there exists a being who goes around here on actual planet earth where the human race resides and replaces children’s teeth left under their pillows with money?
Sure, why not.

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Athias
Is there a reason you won’t answer with a simple yes or a no?
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Well what exactly do you think I'm leaving around the house and telling my kids the gods left there for him cuz I'd really like to know. 
What are you talking about? None of this has anything to do with what I wrote. Did you read it? Do you have a response to it?

To answer your question, I have no opinion on what you are leaving around the house. We haven’t discussed anything of the sort. Focus.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Double_R
Is there a reason you won’t answer with a simple yes or a no?
You qualified the existence of the Tooth Fairy so that it's contingent on the essential appositive, "who goes around here on actual planet earth where the human race resides and replaces children’s teeth left under their pillows with money." Nevertheless, "Sure, why not" is tantamount to a "yes."

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Double_R
Parents intentionally leave proof of Santa and the Tooth Fairy. They intentionally lie. To compare that to a belief in gods is insincere and not in the same ball park. Unless you think I am leaving around proof for my kids. 
Double_R
Double_R
"Sure, why not" is tantamount to a "yes."
Thank you for that.

So being that I am talking to a grown up who believes in the tooth fairy, I see no reason to continue. Have a good day.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
What’s part of ‘atheists use Santa Clause to test the logic of your argument’ do you not understand?

I’m not being facetious and that’s not rhetorical. I’m genuinely asking you, because I’ve already explained how everything you are attaching to the myth of Santa Clause is completely irrelevant to a conversation about logic and you come right back with everything I just explained is not relevant. What part do you not understand? Please let me know so I can better explain it.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Double_R
Thank you for that.
You're welcome.

being that I am talking to a grown up who believes in the tooth fairy
We've been through this:

Athias #420:
I don't "believe in" the tooth fairy--i.e. subscribe to the ideas and values associated with the tooth fairy; I acknowledge the tooth fairy's existence.

I see no reason to continue.
Your call.

Have a good day.
You, too, sir.

210 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@OntologicalSpider
What is your favorite argument for the existence of God? Why is it your favorite argument? What are some objections to this argument and how do you deal with them?
1. Behind every creation is a creator. The creation of life and our universe is no exception.

2. The universe and life is too complex for us to comprehend.

3. Lack of education and comprehension is not an excuse to reject the obvious.
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@OntologicalSpider
Addressing the OP.

The Cosmological Argument is possibly the Best.

1. The universe began to exist.

2. If the universe began to exist, it had a cause.

3. If the universe had a cause, that cause must be a personal agent.

4. A personal agent caused the universe to begin to exist.

One major flaw in this is that the creator doesn’t need to be God with all God’s attributes; all the creator needs to be is a source of energy. We don’t as yet know how the universe came into being, if indeed it did, but to substitute that lack of knowledge with God is simply a “God of the gaps” fallacy.

Anselem’s Ontological Argument is an interesting one but can it disprove the Biblical God. The argument is as follows:

1.     It is a conceptual truth (or, so to speak, true by definition) that God is a being than which none greater can be imagined (that is, the greatest possible being that can be imagined).
2.     God exists as an idea in the mind.
3.     A being that exists as an idea in the mind and in reality is, other things being equal, greater than a being that exists only as an idea in the mind.
4.     Thus, if God exists only as an idea in the mind, then we can imagine something that is greater than God (that is, a greatest possible being that does exist).
5.     But we cannot imagine something that is greater than God (for it is a contradiction to suppose that we can imagine a being greater than the greatest possible being that can be imagined.)
6.     Therefore, God exists.

Does this disprove the Biblical interpretation of God. Considering that greatest being one can imagine, it seems possible to imagine a being that far surpasses the Biblical God in greatness. So if it is possible to imagine a being greater than the Biblical God would that mean that this imagined entity was God and therefore the Biblical God can’t exist

Shila
Shila
-->
@OntologicalSpider
What is your favorite argument for the existence of God? Why is it your favorite argument? What are some objections to this argument and how do you deal with them?
1. Behind every creation is a creator. The creation of life and our universe is no exception.

2. The universe and life is too complex for us to comprehend.

3. Lack of education and comprehension is not an excuse to reject the obvious.

Unfortunately Christians are reducing God to a logical argument.