What does God do for fun?

Author: TheDredPriateRoberts

Total: 138
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
that's interesting we have similar thoughts.  the thought of not having my body, remaining me, the individual is frighting as you described.  to think we are just extensions of one thing and we'd just be absorbed into it and loose our individualism doesn't sound fun.
Yeah, maybe that is why we are in this world. I had a trip off Saliva once and i basically became my belief. I was immortal within my own consciousness. I remember even having the sense of omnipotence, omniscience, etc. When i was in that state, i remember all i wanted to do was shut it off and become human again. I even realized that i am asking for coming back to a flawed and evil world, but that was still better than being infinite. Pretty crazy experience that reinforced my belief in my fear of that type immortality. But who knows. I'm sure given the hallucinogen, it could be different. My friend personally thinks it would be awesome to be infinite.  

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
The idea that God can be bored is completely nonsensical.

We are talking about a being that exists outside of time. How can a non-temporal beimg be bored? 

I think about my own meditation. The countless hours I have spent doing what to anyone else might look like staring at a wall. I doubt that someone who has been blessed with unceasing prayer could get bored.

Now if someone, who has achieved unceasing prayer cannot get bored, how impious it seems to me to ascribe boredom to God.

Did Jesus ever get bored? I guess that is really the question. Certainly not The Father. Getting bored is certainly a fleshly thing, so it couldn't be ascribed to the divine physis. If Christ ever got bored, it would have been a symptom of the flesh.

I think this question is very much related to the concept of gnomic will. I believe that boredom would solely be something that falls in that category.

The 6th ecumenical council of the church recognized Saint Maximus the confessor's teaching that Christ did not have a gnomic will as being orthodox.

I believe boredom would be something that only those who possessed a gnomic will could have. 
Mopac
Mopac

In Greek, a muse is supposed to bring about inspiration.

Knowing that the prefix "a-" creates a negation, what does amuse mean?

The child of God should strive to reach the state where they no longer need to be entertained in order to have peace. In the end, I believe such a person actually appreciates the beauty of God's creation in a much more profound way.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Outplayz
Oh, i agree on those types of levels. I just don't agree i have to do anything special to get to those levels. Like, i don't think i have to relive this life 100 times before i'm ready for the next level...

I don't know about that but I do know there are universal laws like cause and effect and laws of consequences meaning you can pretty much do anything you want in creation but you may have to pay consequences for certain things, which actually is good because there are some real maniacs out there lol. So the only twist is that a soul may lose the freedom temporarily to choose what it wants whereas before it was free. And really all that means is we should be careful in what we choose, watch our actions and at least try to mature.

This may explain partially why we would ever be here in the first place because actually this level of creation is like the lesson level, even though there is a lot of beauty there's a lot of suffering along with it. I would say it is probably a lot harder than it is easy and pleasant.

So in a nutshell our actions can actually trap us in places, this would be the only aspect that's not always so fun. But it is that way for a reason believe it or not. And if it wasn't that way creation would much worse, without some level of control it would most likely self destruct.

or how Mormons say you should do this or that to get to this level of heaven. I simply think i will just pick the next experience in whatever next level i probably have already planned out.

Do Mormons have levels of Heaven? I've heard some of their more bizarre beliefs but I didn't know they had that aspect.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Mopac
The child of God should strive to reach the state where they no longer need to be entertained in order to have peace. In the end, I believe such a person actually appreciates the beauty of God's creation in a much more profound way.

I could agree with that, but each soul has to come to that understanding themselves. You can't force or make something think that way, they have to learn things in their own timing....this is why creation panders to all levels of conscious awareness. You can see this play out in so many ways just be observing people.
Having said that, being entertained in one reason why creation exists. On other levels the intentions and desires are not the same. 

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@EtrnlVw
This may explain partially why we would ever be here in the first place because actually this level of creation is like the lesson level
To me this life can mean many things. One of them being a lesson. Here let me give an example. Say i already have it planned out that i will be a vampire (i know i know, my favorite fantasy) in my next life. The real question is... what type of vampire would i be relative to who i am. If i am going to struggle with my darkness than become a light vampire... then, it would be good to practice urges. So, in this life i would struggle with addiction in preparation for a harder struggle of not killing good people. Also, that's not the only thing. Stuff like family will also be different in a vampire existence. I will live for years while my family dies. So, in this life... i have it set so i can have the maximum time around the people i love. This is interesting, bc things like set backs in life and having to stay at home makes sense in order for me to be with my family more. I may look at these set backs as a bad thing in this life, but it was designed in order for me to experience what i want to the maximum in this life bc i know my next i will miss them for a long time. You can imagine how many other things in this life can be straight out preparation for my next. I believe it is this way, bc in my infinite state... i know a lot more than i do now. I may have already planned out eternity of experiences in my infinite state... so it's like a cosmic chest game. Moving the pieces with infinite steps already planned out. 

Do Mormons have levels of Heaven? I've heard some of their more bizarre beliefs but I didn't know they had that aspect.
I've studied every religion at least once so they are all hazy unless i research them again (which i'm not in research mode at all right now). But, i do remember Mormons bc they did have an interesting take on the afterlife. It was much different than Christians so it stood out. I think they have like 4 or 5 levels of heaven. The ultimate one is where you get to create your own world or something like that and others being stuff like purgatory or being in a social world. But, that came with a lot of things to do like be a good Mormon, marry, and what not. I don't remember exactly, but it's interesting. I'd look it up bc i don't remember exactly how it works but it was cool in my opinion.  

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@EtrnlVw
Of course, I can't dispute you on this. I agree with what you said earlier, comparing this life with a classroom. We are all at different grade levels. There can't be compulsion in religion.

I spent a great deal of my life chasing after entertainment. I did learn from it. In the end, I grew out of it. Having been through that, I can be grateful that I know firsthand that to make this your life is a very vapid thing. Had I not, maybe I would be more envious! 

All of my experiences, good and bad... all of my bad decisions and life mistakes... in the end, they helped to mature me. 

If I could save others the trouble, I would! But sometimes people need the trouble. God's chastisement is for the sake of our healing. A lot of times, wisdom doesn't really make sense until you come to know the folly. 

Glory to God

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Mopac
Hey if God wanted us all to go to church, why are they so small? 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Some churches are actually very big.

I go to a particularly crowded parish. We have been building a new church near the part of town that most people in the congregation live. That is how we are settling that issue. If it gets crowded enough, build another church. Now you have 2 churches!

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Mopac
Nice answers. 

Ok back to the post .    What does god do for fun?
I bet God loves listening to you guys sing at him.  
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
The singing is for us, not God. God doesn't need anything. God doesn't need to have fun even.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
God is perfect

God does not have fun

Hmmm...
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Hey if God wanted us all to go to church, why are they so small? 

Yeah he could TARDIS that shit if he wanted to.

Might be something in the city fire code that prevents that though. Imagine a TARDIS church filled with 100 thousand people catching on fire and there only being enough room on the outside part for 4 emergency exits. Oops!

Does god need to worry about random fires in his churches though? Ehhh...

Good game.
Good game.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Perhaps reading the pointless bitter silliness in this thread is fun for God.

This is how you chose to spend your life? The equivalent of childish grafitti using the board as a bathroom stall?

"D'uh, God doesn't do drugs, drink, or have tats, what does he do for fun?"

God doesn't need to have fun even.
Gets morphed in the DD fake quote machine to,

God doesn't have fun.
If God told lies, he'd have a little fun, according to some dofuses.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Outplayz
To me this life can mean many things. One of them being a lesson. Here let me give an example. Say i already have it planned out that i will be a vampire (i know i know, my favorite fantasy) in my next life. The real question is... what type of vampire would i be relative to who i am. If i am going to struggle with my darkness than become a light vampire... then, it would be good to practice urges. So, in this life i would struggle with addiction in preparation for a harder struggle of not killing good people. Also, that's not the only thing. Stuff like family will also be different in a vampire existence. I will live for years while my family dies. So, in this life... i have it set so i can have the maximum time around the people i love. This is interesting, bc things like set backs in life and having to stay at home makes sense in order for me to be with my family more. I may look at these set backs as a bad thing in this life, but it was designed in order for me to experience what i want to the maximum in this life bc i know my next i will miss them for a long time. You can imagine how many other things in this life can be straight out preparation for my next. I believe it is this way, bc in my infinite state... i know a lot more than i do now. I may have already planned out eternity of experiences in my infinite state... so it's like a cosmic chest game. Moving the pieces with infinite steps already planned out.

That was brilliant, very thoughtful, I don't get very many responses that show people know what the hell I'm taking about lol. Just wanted to add that just because this life can be a lesson like I was saying, it can be chosen as well, after a millennium of another existence a soul may want to come back here for 80 years and live a more simple life, have a little family again ect ect..... And like you said it also can be just a step in the grand scheme of steps. 

I've studied every religion at least once so they are all hazy unless i research them again (which i'm not in research mode at all right now). But, i do remember Mormons bc they did have an interesting take on the afterlife. It was much different than Christians so it stood out. I think they have like 4 or 5 levels of heaven. The ultimate one is where you get to create your own world or something like that and others being stuff like purgatory or being in a social world. But, that came with a lot of things to do like be a good Mormon, marry, and what not. I don't remember exactly, but it's interesting. I'd look it up bc i don't remember exactly how it works but it was cool in my opinion. 

That is interesting I never paid them much attention. I'll look that up. I know you and I have talked about becoming a mini-creator or a co-creator, and it would make sense with the implications involved a soul would have to be a very advanced being to be given such freedom. I never was attracted to that particular religious organization but that's creation for ya, so many paths and ways of life to choose...who knows, after an eternity one might be willing to do anything lol.
Creation is cyclical, so the original Source does this over and over and with the creativity of the individual soul there's always a new experience. It would be like being placed within a newly designed maze, where the soul has a beginning point and works its way out and the maze is different every time.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Mopac
Of course, I can't dispute you on this. I agree with what you said earlier, comparing this life with a classroom. We are all at different grade levels. There can't be compulsion in religion.
I spent a great deal of my life chasing after entertainment. I did learn from it. In the end, I grew out of it. Having been through that, I can be grateful that I know firsthand that to make this your life is a very vapid thing. Had I not, maybe I would be more envious!

Well you never know bro, like Outplayz and I were discussing after a million years in heaven you may want to come back and play some more lol, it doesn't have to always be a bad thing...But I get what you're saying, I started my spiritual journey as a young kid. After I had a taste of God I knew right then what I was interested in. I've spent the rest of my time here making mistakes but pursuing God in the midst of them. I've always been more interested in the deeper qualities of life.

All of my experiences, good and bad... all of my bad decisions and life mistakes... in the end, they helped to mature me.
If I could save others the trouble, I would! But sometimes people need the trouble. God's chastisement is for the sake of our healing. A lot of times, wisdom doesn't really make sense until you come to know the folly.
Glory to God

Amen, all that's true.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
I've been leed to believe that,,,,, God reveals himself to people in prisons. 
Well his be known to do this. 
What does god do for fun ?   JAILHOUSE REVEALS......
Fun? FUN.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
I understand we are very limited especially in thought and knowledge, if God knows and sees all then there's nothing new for God to ever experience, if there were that would be a limitations wouldn't it?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I understand we are very limited especially in thought and knowledge, if God knows and sees all then there's nothing new for God to ever experience, if there were that would be a limitations wouldn't it?

I do believe God is omnipresent but I think omniscient is somewhat of a misconception. There's obviously things God could know, but when you create a free agent like a soul there's just too many variables and dynamics involved to predict everything. My humble belief is that God knows everything in the moment, as it takes place. There's also foreknowledge so don't get me wrong, it's like owning a pet, you can create an environment for it, you can know when it will exist and even be in control over when it dies and so forth, but you can never predict with certainly what that pet will do or how it will react or act in any given circumstance.

Even if God were to know every little thing that could ever happen it still doesn't mean God wouldn't create things. As I said before it's the only outlet God has, so why would the Creator disregard it? Yes, if God is only partially omniscient then yes, that would be considered a limitation and my reply is who cares? I'm willing to live with that answer....God is still a maximal Being, that means God is the greatest Being even if there's elements even God doesn't necessarily know about.

If God experiences everything through your eyes, perception and perspective including all things alive that's a lot of observation and experience. That's better than the alternative which is nothing. If you could only watch a movie that you directed, but placed actors within the movie and were able to live out those roles within that movie wouldn't you do it if it were the only thing you could do?

I understand we are very limited especially in thought and knowledge

That's the investment God has in this, if God is experiencing life through your vessel then at one conscious level God is limited in thought and knowledge. It's through your very limited, restricted and confined awareness that God gets to live out. What you see and experience is what God sees and experiences, if your view is limited then God's view is temporarily limited, you know what I mean? Ever heard that cheesy song "what if God were one of us"? lol I used to hate that song but I had never thought about it really until now. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@EtrnlVw
To be a co-worker with God or to be in synergia with God does not make us equals with God.

Synergia is moreso about emptying the self in order that the grace of God may fill that emptiness. It is about aligning oneself to The Uncreated Divine Energy.

God's omniscience of everything that happens even in the future is no big matter to God. Existing outside of time, the beginning and end of it is plain to see. So even though we have freewill, God still knows what we are going to choose. God transcends temporal reality, having Himself preceded it.

This is how we understand these things in The Orthodox Church.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Mopac
To be a co-worker with God or to be in synergia with God does not make us equals with God.

Where did I say that?

Synergia is moreso about emptying the self in order that the grace of God may fill that emptiness. It is about aligning oneself to The Uncreated Divine Energy.

You're preaching to the choir, been doing that for a long time. If you want to know something just ask me. 

God's omniscience of everything that happens even in the future is no big matter to God. Existing outside of time, the beginning and end of it is plain to see. So even though we have freewill, God still knows what we are going to choose. God transcends temporal reality, having Himself preceded it.

Thanks for the opinion. I'm not of the Calvinist sect but thanks.

This is how we understand these things in The Orthodox Church.

I know I know, the Orthodox Church lol, sure pal. What does any of this have to do with our personal discussion?

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Mopac
You're not baiting me again like you do in PM's are you lol? get me talking about something and then condemn me and make accusations against my character because I'm not a member of your personal flavor of Church? 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Mopac
does not make us equals with God.

I don't use that language so I would appreciate you quoting verbatim. If you're talking about my suggestion of a song "what if God were one of us", that doesn't translate into us humans are equal with God. 
Actually if the statement had any truth to it, it would be more like "God lowering or limiting Himself" to become like one of us, not the other way around. And the reason for that suggestion would be in all the posts I have fully explained in this topic. I know you don't like it, but I don't really care. 
There's two ways I would articulate becoming a co-creator, two different systems of thought, none of which I would expect you to understand. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@EtrnlVw
No one is condemning you. I am simply pointing out what we in the Orthodox Church believe.

If that contradicts what you say, that is simply how it is.

Surely you could be more graceful in handling someone contradicting you. Surely someone as spiritually advanced as you like to present yourself is above these immaturities.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
That's true. I tend to call that the ultimate spoiler. Why would any conscious being want to be this god? It sounds like hell to me. Maybe that's why finite existence is a thing. Maybe god evolved and once it realized this spoiler... it has never gone back to being god. 
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Outplayz
Lol. That is a little like the 5 year old kid who, once he learns that as an adult he won't want to play with G.I. Joe dolls, no longer wants to become an adult.

If we told a 5 year old what it was like being an adult, which of them would think it was great? None, because they would all be judging adulthood through 5 year old eyes.

None of us has the faintest clue what it's like to be God, and even the thread's question assumes God get board or needs to be occupied with something.

Its like the 5 year old asking, "If adults don't play with dolls, what do adults do for fun?"

The gap between us and God, is greater than the gap between 5 year olds and adults so the comparison doesn't capture the full immature absurdity of the question.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
The Truth comes by revelation, not imagination or reasoning. 

The Eternal Way is not wishful thinking, but an observance of the heart.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Outplayz
that makes sense at least from what understand, living things are purpose driven, even if that only purpose is to survive, multiply.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Outplayz
Isn't this basically what happened to Dr. Manhattan? 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@EtrnlVw
Thanks for the opinion. I'm not of the Calvinist sect but thanks
Calvinism is a regarded as heretical by the church. Fyi. I am not a Calvinist.