Is BrotherDThomas really a Christian?

Author: Dynasty

Total: 105
Dynasty
Debates: 11
Dynasty
Is he really a Christian? Or, some troll?
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@Dynasty
If I had to guess I would say he's probably an ex-Christian that had overbearing religious parents and now he is probably an angry Atheist trying to mock and make Christians look bad, using scripture as the tool to accomplish that. So a troll in other words.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Dynasty
100%. 
The Ye Old testament type. 
Half jew Half Christian = 100% Christian right?  
He is Exactly like every other Christian but only different. 
Can anyone guess who else was a jew Christian?  Correct ,  AMEN....

But ummmm this is price " Christians " pay for calling themselves justtttttt christian.
I AM A CHRISTIAN FULL STOP
Because of this,

MORMONS ARE CHRISTIANS,   

JEHOVAH WITNESSES yep you guessed it.  
CHRISTIANS.

If someone calls / says that they are a Christian and nothing else. I get to decide what type they are. 
Actually it could be a good game. 
What type of Christian are ya. You ask questions like,  Do you do the trinity god nonsense?
Or 
Or 
Do you think the pope is the closest to god?
Confession boths?
Do you get born again? 

No but There is only like four maybe five max types of Christians on this site. 
Three?
No four. 

Brother D is a Christian.  Maybe he cant spot a metaphor. Maybe his a far superior scripture translatoror.

Dynasty
Debates: 11
Dynasty
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Jehovah Witnesses are not Christians, because they reject the trinity.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Only in a world where a man can claim to be a woman and be respected as such could there ever be confusion about whether or not Thomas is a Christian.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
He is this guy on DDO,check his forum posts-https://www.debate.org/21stCenturyIconoclast/
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Dr.Franklin
That's either the same guy or a rather clever troll imitating him to troll people here.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dynasty
Is anyone really a Christian?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Dynasty
Is BrotherDThomas really a Christian?

The definition of  - Christian - has been and still is argued  ..... among Christians themselves.

Who cares? This is a religion forum. He writes about religion.  He quotes religious scripture. He disagrees with many - concerning religious matters. He appears to be able to support  his claims concerning .. religious matters.

I don't agree with some of what he says and he me. But this doesn't mean I have to  create thread especially dedicated to him.

I don't care what he is.  It is not a requirement of the forum that one MUST BE  a Christian to come here and question the Christian scriptures.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
It only matters what The Orthodox Catholic Church believes.

Those outside the church belong to heterodox churches.

It is a lot simpler than people make it out to be. The identifying of heresy with Christianity only serves the person who is intent on undermining Christianity.

SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Mopac
It only matters what The Orthodox Catholic Church believes.

Those outside the church belong to heterodox churches.
Do you think it's possible for someone who isn't part of the Orthodox Church to be saved?

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@EtrnlVw
If I had to guess I would say he's probably an ex-Christian that had overbearing religious parents and now he is probably an angry Atheist trying to mock and make Christians look bad, using scripture as the tool to accomplish that. So a troll in other words.

He's not my style, but he's posting about the topics at hand, and he's not more or less abrasive than a handful of other 'agitators.' You seem to be calling him a troll based entirely on disagreeing with him. That's less than generous. 

This topic, by the way, is stupid because the Christians in here all think their specific denomination is the only 'true' Christianity anyway, and none ever bother debating each other on the matter. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@ludofl3x
He's not my style, but he's posting about the topics at hand, and he's not more or less abrasive than a handful of other 'agitators.' You seem to be calling him a troll based entirely on disagreeing with him. That's less than generous. 

That is based on his list of topics, they are obviously antagonistic. If you think he's being serious about beating his kids and Jesus being a pervert I question your opinion. If he is serious, and is in fact a Christian the guy has serious problems. 

This topic, by the way, is stupid because the Christians in here all think their specific denomination is the only 'true' Christianity anyway, and none ever bother debating each other on the matter. 

Well I consider myself a Christian and I can say that's not a true statement. Even though Mopac doesn't follow this, we are supposed to be in unity with one another, or try to create unity. And we do that by not judging each other, but loving each other. Brother D is always touting himself as the true Christian and we are all satans followers lol, he doesn't represent Christianity even if he is serious. 

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@EtrnlVw
Got, it. No True Scotsman indeed. :-)
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@ludofl3x
Christians in here all think their specific denomination is the only 'true' Christianity anyway

This is a serious problem within Christianity though I agree, but it's not everybody. Most the Christians I know aren't really like that, at least it is not there main priority or issue. I think these are more isolated cases than general reality. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@ludofl3x
Like I said, the topics are pretty obvious. Don't ya think? go look at his list of them. He's most likely a non-believer playing an idiot to make us all look bad. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@EtrnlVw
This is a serious problem within Christianity though I agree, but it's not everybody. Most the Christians I know aren't really like that, at least it is not there main priority or issue. I think these are more isolated cases than general reality. 
I think it's less people and more dogmatic an issue. The people, individuals, largely pick and choose what they want to believe or follow within their own denominations anyway, but I feel like there's at least a little anxiety in that if you're not in the right denomination, Christians want to believe their god will still let them into heaven because while they ate meat on Fridays, for example, they SURELY wouldn't burn in hell over the fact that their parents didn't know it was a problem. It allows for a more liberal interpretation of who can get in, but it also calls into serious question what the point of all the denominations is in the first place...which is a thread that when pulled inevitably leads to "why would this be important at all," and besides, there's plenty of non-CHristians who can burn in hell instead, right? Like Muslims, no matter what, they're not Christians, they don't revere Jesus, so clearly, if god's real and the whole Jesus thing is real, then they're definitely burning in hell. Man, woman and infant. At least that's what the book and the dogma say. In the end I don't think Christians really believe that belief in any one myth is a deal breaker for Jesus, but they'd rather have the bad people held accountable somehow regardless of faith.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@ludofl3x
I think it's less people and more dogmatic an issue. The people, individuals, largely pick and choose what they want to believe or follow within their own denominations anyway, but I feel like there's at least a little anxiety in that if you're not in the right denomination, Christians want to believe their god will still let them into heaven because while they ate meat on Fridays, for example, they SURELY wouldn't burn in hell over the fact that their parents didn't know it was a problem. It allows for a more liberal interpretation of who can get in, but it also calls into serious question what the point of all the denominations is in the first place...which is a thread that when pulled inevitably leads to "why would this be important at all," and besides, there's plenty of non-CHristians who can burn in hell instead, right? Like Muslims, no matter what, they're not Christians, they don't revere Jesus, so clearly, if god's real and the whole Jesus thing is real, then they're definitely burning in hell. Man, woman and infant. At least that's what the book and the dogma say. In the end I don't think Christians really believe that belief in any one myth is a deal breaker for Jesus, but they'd rather have the bad people held accountable somehow regardless of faith.

Yes, I agree with some of that. However not many people including Christians know how creation is put together so they are forced to accept things that aren't really true. Hell is reserved for those who commit crimes, atrocities and who refuse to learn from their mistakes (even then there are levels of hell, and not all eternal).
But creation has many heavens, and those are reserved for the righteous, not just those who believed a certain way, but those who LIVED a certain way. That is a great misconception among religious groups. There are countless societies that exist outside of this world. The Creator is a God of variety and flavors, that should be obvious.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@EtrnlVw
However not many people including Christians know how creation is put together so they are forced to accept things that aren't really true. 

Special knowledge! Your favorite. :)

Hell is reserved for those who commit crimes, atrocities and who refuse to learn from their mistakes (even then there are levels of hell, and not all eternal).
This is not a Christian classification of hell. Criminals and those who commit atrocities are as welcome in Heaven as your pastor would be, provided they meet the criteria that they accept Jesus before they die. See, if you start your morning by masturbating, don't repent immediately, walk out of your apartment and get hit in the head by a falling AC unit, you go to hell. If on the other hand you are a concentration camp guard who learns he's got cancer and is dying in the hospital, you repent moments before death, you get to go to that party in the sky!

But creation has many heavens, and those are reserved for the righteous, not just those who believed a certain way. That is a great misconception among religious groups.
Why the need for more than one heaven? And special knowledge again, bolded. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
Special knowledge! Your favorite. :)

Sure, if you say so. 

This is not a Christian classification of hell. Criminals and those who commit atrocities are as welcome in Heaven as your pastor would be, provided they meet the criteria that they accept Jesus before they die.

However not many people including Christians know how creation is put together so they are forced to accept things that aren't really true. Hell is reserved for those who commit crimes, atrocities and who refuse to learn from their mistakes (even then there are levels of hell, and not all eternal).
But creation has many heavens, and those are reserved for the righteous, not just those who believed a certain way, but those who LIVED a certain way.
I don't care if it's not a Christian classification. 

See, if you start your morning by masturbating, don't repent immediately, walk out of your apartment and get hit in the head by a falling AC unit, you go to hell. If on the other hand you are a concentration camp guard who learns he's got cancer and is dying in the hospital, you repent moments before death, you get to go to that party in the sky!

See what I mean by you never listen, and you always mock instead? At what point are you willing to learn something?

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@ludofl3x
Why the need for more than one heaven?

Why the need for varying societies, cultures, traditions and ways of expressing God? Answer...
The Creator is a God of variety and flavors, that should be obvious.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@ludofl3x
Why the need for more than one heaven?

Also, as we have already discussed before, there isn't just one planet when you leave this earth. There are many, many more planets. Therefore there is no need to clump every single soul into one planet. The Christian heaven is an actual planet, but there are countless areas of creation where the soul can inhabit. For example, a good Muslim wouldn't want to collectively exist with a bunch of Christians lol, no, it goes where its preferred choice of society is. Likewise a Christian might not want to spend an eon with a bunch of Hindus...ect ect..

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@EtrnlVw
See what I mean by you never listen, and you always mock instead? At what point are you willing to learn something?

I'm not mocking, I'm just pointing out traditional Christian orthodoxy. Suddenly you're no true Christian either, it seems, but I think you said you don't claim to be a CHristian (which means, I'm afraid, according to Christianity you and I are headed the same direction). And you mean at what point am I willing to just accept what you claim, then answer is simple: when a single shred of verification that it's true is presented, as with all other propositions in life. 

Why the need for varying societies, cultures, traditions and ways of expressing God? Answer...
The Creator is a God of variety and flavors, that should be obvious.
So that explains why he made Christians think they're the only ones going to heaven? I don't understand. Or does he segregate based on faith? Can atheists, avowed atheists who live a good life, get in even as we go to our grave? wtf is the point of religion exactly if it's really just a 'good people go here, bad people go there' system, and not one where you have to have the right paperwork, or have to follow strange rules that don't really make sense? Like, I'm not out stoning non-virgin girls who get married in front of their dads, that is disobeying the word of god according to the book. So is me not doing that a plus or a minus?

You only see mockery because you can recognize the ridiculousness of Christian doctrine, to your credit, :)

ETA, I think you might believe in what sounds basically like the system on The Good Place. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@EtrnlVw
Brother D is always touting himself as the true Christian

And Mopac believes his Christian church is the only "true church" and he also believe no one outside of "his church" can ever understand or interpret what the bible says. 

Are you going to start a thread dedicated solely to Mopac? Or even start a thread that disagrees that "only his church" can ever understand or interpret what the bible says. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@SirAnonymous
Do you think it's possible for someone who isn't part of the Orthodox Church to be saved?

I'd rather get on the ark than risk riding out the flood on driftwood personally.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@EtrnlVw
Also, as we have already discussed before, there isn't just one planet when you leave this earth. There are many, many more planets. Therefore there is no need to clump every single soul into one planet. The Christian heaven is an actual planet, but there are countless areas of creation where the soul can inhabit. For example, a good Muslim wouldn't want to collectively exist with a bunch of Christians lol, no, it goes where its preferred choice of society is. Likewise a Christian might not want to spend an eon with a bunch of Hindus...ect ect..

Good to know that whatever the creator god is, not only did it create a system that resulted in sectarian violence and discrimination on earth, but that the system extends into the afterlife! Great job Jesus. If I had a spaceship that could traverse the meaningless emptiness of space, and I had the right coordinates, theoretically, could I travel to this actual planet while still alive? What would I see there? What a fascinating fiction. 

Can we agree you're not Christian? There are literally no Christian doctrines that say heaven is a planet (it's a DIMENSION! duh!) nor are there any non-Christians in it, according to the doctrine. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
Sorry Stephen, there is One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

To say otherwise is subversive to the faith itself.

You know, taking the teachings of heretics as being just as valid as the apostles and the apostolic church.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@ludofl3x
I'm not mocking,
 See, if you start your morning by masturbating, don't repent immediately, walk out of your apartment and get hit in the head by a falling AC unit, you go to hell. If on the other hand you are a concentration camp guard who learns he's got cancer and is dying in the hospital, you repent moments before death, you get to go to that party in the sky!
Sure pal, if you say so.
I'm just pointing out traditional Christian orthodoxy. Suddenly you're no true Christian either
I'm included because I've been applying it to myself, but I'm also not limited to only that because I know the reality of what all this entails and I don't limit myself to any one belief system. But I've been applying the things in the Bible since I was a kid on my own accord.
, it seems, but I think you said you don't claim to be a CHristian (which means, I'm afraid, according to Christianity you and I are headed the same direction).
I've already explained this. Sometimes I feel like a broken record talking with you. I just got done saying hell is reserved for.....
 And you mean at what point am I willing to just accept what you claim, then answer is simple: when a single shred of verification that it's true is presented, as with all other propositions in life.
No, I said if it makes sense...and is logical then just go with it. Or at least consider it. If I'm saying things that are not logical, and do not make sense just disregard it.
So that explains why he made Christians think they're the only ones going to heaven?
It's really irrelevant what they think, they can't think someone into heaven or hell lol. And I don't know that God makes anyone think a certain way, there's a lot of nonsense in spiritual texts, in other words they can have errors.
I don't understand. Or does he segregate based on faith? Can atheists, avowed atheists who live a good life, get in even as we go to our grave?
Atheists are no different than any other soul, but if you are not in agreement with Christianity that's probably not where you will end up. Coming back to earth is always an option. In other words why would you go to a heaven you believe is all nonsense?
wtf is the point of religion exactly if it's really just a 'good people go here, bad people go there' system, and not one where you have to have the right paperwork, or have to follow strange rules that don't really make sense?
If it's not good people go here and bad people go there what should it be? you mock here....
"This is not a Christian classification of hell. Criminals and those who commit atrocities are as welcome in Heaven as your pastor would be, provided they meet the criteria that they accept Jesus before they die. See, if you start your morning by masturbating, don't repent immediately, walk out of your apartment and get hit in the head by a falling AC unit, you go to hell. If on the other hand you are a concentration camp guard who learns he's got cancer and is dying in the hospital, you repent moments before death, you get to go to that party in the sky!
"
And then you mock what I say, which one will you NOT mock? If you want to go to advanced place in creation you have to work on your spiritual progression, that doesn't mean that if you're an atheist you go to hell, would you like that  better? perhaps what I'm saying then has validity to it as opposed to the traditional Christian belief that you will probably go to hell for eternity. Is that what you would like me to say? that's not true though...
Like, I'm not out stoning non-virgin girls who get married in front of their dads, that is disobeying the word of god according to the book. So is me not doing that a plus or a minus?
I've told you many times now, that you don't have to accept anything absurd or that you know is stupid. Books and religions do not dictate your relation with God.
You only see mockery because you can recognize the ridiculousness of Christian doctrine, to your credit, :)
It's just some misconceptions that's it. There is a lot of beauty to the Gospel as well. And no, you do literally mock. 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@ludofl3x
Good to know that whatever the creator god is, not only did it create a system that resulted in sectarian violence and discrimination on earth
Humans are pretty dumb sometimes. Spirituality, in its true form is supposed to create unity. However, the real discrimination that should exist is the negative vs the positive sides of creation, not beliefs and differences in culture. Creation, including Earth COULD be a beautiful place if all religions left behind violence and discrimination and embraced the fullness of God, the beauty of variations, flavors and cultures.
, but that the system extends into the afterlife! Great job Jesus. If I had a spaceship that could traverse the meaningless emptiness of space, and I had the right coordinates, theoretically, could I travel to this actual planet while still alive? What would I see there? What a fascinating fiction.
If you left the physical body yes, that could be possible. But we're talking about a parallel universe with its own planets. The subtle body, or spirit body would essentially be invisible to your physical sight. Do you have a real problem that societies extend beyond the physical plane? if so why?
Can we agree you're not Christian? There are literally no Christian doctrines that say heaven is a planet (it's a DIMENSION! duh!) nor are there any non-Christians in it, according to the doctrine.
Actually Revelations describes the measurements of this planet.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
Sorry Stephen, there is One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Don't be. i don't care.

To say otherwise is subversive to the faith itself.

I don't believe I have. But I am sure there are some CHRISTIANS that will give you an argument..... just not in front of me.

You know, taking the teachings of heretics as being just as valid as the apostles and the apostolic church.

not sure what you mean by that, but I don't care anyway, mopac.